Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Pokemon Let's Go Shuckle/Dunsparce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

All right, so: How do I get Meltan and Melmetal in this? I haven't played Go in like two years.

You find a coulple Meltan in Go, then you find 400 meltan candies to turn one of them into a melmetal, than transfer them into LGPE.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

mancalamania posted:

This game is a lot better than I expected. Something that drove me crazy about Gens 6 and 7 was how everyone said the way to "fix" the EXP Share from overleveling you was to rotate through a big group of 10+ regular Pokemon to spread out the EXP. But constantly PC managing and shuffling through a big group was so annoying,

The Pokemon box UI is literally worse than the PC UI built up in past games.

You have to scroll down the big lists of all the Pokemon you've caught and select it, pick "Put in your team" and then do the swapping.

In mainline games you just picked a box (usually the first one for your extra team mates), and drag and dropped the Pokemon you were swapping in with the Pokemon you were swapping out.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 19, 2018

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
the lack of touch controls in this game is loving dumb the pokemon go games are 100% touch screen controlled and the console is a giant touch screen.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Elfgames posted:

the lack of touch controls in this game is loving dumb the pokemon go games are 100% touch screen controlled and the console is a giant touch screen.

Yeah, the only time you can use the touch screen is to give Eeveechu a pat as far as I can see. I keep trying to use the touch controls in battle like with the regular games and it does nothing!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ariong posted:

You find a coulple Meltan in Go, then you find 400 meltan candies to turn one of them into a melmetal, than transfer them into LGPE.

Is Meltan rare, and is 400 a lot of candy?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm feeding all my candies to Victreebel to keep her more relevant

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bongo Bill posted:

1) idk
2) last time i played, you got 3 candy every time you caught one of that pokemon. so yes

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Meltan is kinda rare-ish, but 400 candy is a fuckton.
To put it in perspective - every Pokemon you catch gives you 3 candy of it's evolution line. You can boost that to 6 using a berry. You can then send that Pokemon to the professor to get 1 additional candy.
So the most one Pokemon can give you is 7 candy. You can pick a Pokemon as your partner and walk with it, and it finds one candy after a set distance. The distance varies from Pokemon to Pokemon, but Magikarp, the only other Pokemon to Evolve with 400 candy gives you 1 candy every 1km you walk (so that's 0,62 miles per candy). It can get up to 5km per candy with some Pokemon and I'm not sure how Meltan fares in this. Pokemon hatching from eggs will also shower you with candy, but I don't think Meltan hatches from eggs.

So you can either catch one Meltan and walk 400km, or keep catching them. But for that you need Pokeballs, which you can get from Pokestops. You get up to 4 Pokeballs per Pokestop visited.

Yeah it's a FUCKTON of grinding.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

400 is a lot. Most Pokemon require 100 candies to go from a second stage to third stage Pokemon and only a few need 400 candy ever. Wailmer needs 400 to evolve into Wailord, presumably because he's Real Hecking Big, as does Magikarp, I assume to mimic his super slow levelling up in the main games that makes evolving a Magikarp into a Gyarados a real test of time and dedication. Most of the time, without any events or items being active, you get 3 candy for catching a Pokemon and a few more for hatching.

However, you can also get candy by making a Pokemon your Buddy and walking around with it in real life. Every time you reach a certain number of kilometres, you get one candy. For this reason, people who want a Wailord or Gyarados will often have it as their buddy as their "get a candy" increment is every 1km. This makes the 400 candy requirement a bit less of a slog.

Melman, however, doesn't have a Buddy get-a-candy walking distance of 1km. He's a mythical Pokemon, and mythical/legendary Pokemon's candy walking distance is 20km. What this means is if you're planning on evolving Melman by walking him, it will take 20x the amount of time and distance it would take to evolve a Magikarp.

Evolving Melman will be a hell of a slog.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They take two steps away from grinding and one step back. It seems challenging for them to conceive a system where you could get cool and good things without doing an incredible amount of mind-numbing repetitive tasks.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Do yourselves all a favour and make sure you pick up your Scyther/Pinsir before beating the Elite Four.

It is a 1% spawn on those two routes, that already have a few 5% and 10% spawns and Chansey as a rare spawn. This combined with a postgame thing that slightly messes with the spawn table a bit means you can spend hours with a high capture chain and max lures and literally never see any at all.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
If you do a transfer between PoGo and Let's go, you get a loot box that makes Meltan appear in PoGo for 30 mins. Weekly cool down.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

400 is a ton of candy. As for his rarity, the actual transfer mechanic between Go and Let’s Go helps with it. Once a week, whenever you transfer pokemon from Go to Let’s Go, you get an item in Go that acts as a Meltan lure.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think the "trying to rope Go players into the main games" is a very weird marketing approach. How many total people play Pokemon Go, but also own a Nintendo Switch, but ALSO haven't played any other Pokemon games? It seems more like a game aimed at moms than kids.

On the flipside, Pokemon games have been riding this line of "we have to re-explain EVERY game mechanic for babies" while also trying to placate the older returning playerbase, and imo they've been doing a Not Good job of it with the recent entries. Funny enough, while this game drops the returning playerbase pretense entirely, I'm genuinely surprised how faithful the game is to the original RBY. Somehow the game made for casuals is less hand-holdey than S/M and the game still has an intimidating number of trainers to battle.

This isn't one of the top entries in the series but I think this might be my new preferential way of playing Gen1.

I came at this more or less as you described. I’ve played games for years but I’m juuuust old enough that the original 151 were for the kids I babysat, not me. So I never got into the series. I’ve been an irregular Nintendo customer. I picked up Go (a year late) partially because I’d gotten the Switch and knew Let’s Go was coming out and thought “I should give this Pokémon thing a try”. I bet there’s more people kind of like me than you’d expect. The Go player base at peak was massive and now it’s merely very large. Some chunk of those people might be lapsed Wii owners, some might have never gotten into the main series, some might be lapsed Pokémon players and this is a nostalgia play. I think Let’s Go is a system seller (clearly Nintendo thinks that since they are selling system bundled).

I agree with you about what the game feels like. I tried Ultra Sun, which I got bored of because it was really hand-holdy and hard to not overlevel. Which meant all my game time was spent going from tutorial to faceroll battle to tutorial. It’s refreshing to wander around Kanto and feel like I’m exploring and discovering what I can do (even though my path is obviously gated and has guardrails). I’m still overleveled and the obvious solution (don’t use your partner Pokémon) is a real feelsbad way of dealing with the problem.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yesterday was Bulbasaur. Today is Lapras. Chaining and going for Max IVs is a super fun desease and I hope I’m not the only idiot doing this. Also, it appears that the more you catch of a pokemon, the easier it becomes to catch it so you may need to start with Ultra/Great balls to guarantee a catch but you can eventually switch to cheap poke balls and have them almost always be a catch.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
On the other hand, kicking the crap out of Brocks gym using nothing but your Pikachu has a certain charm.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

doingitwrong posted:

I’m still overleveled and the obvious solution (don’t use your partner Pokémon) is a real feelsbad way of dealing with the problem.

You could also remove your high level pokemon from the party when you are catching new ones so they don't get extra experience.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yesterday was Bulbasaur. Today is Lapras. Chaining and going for Max IVs is a super fun desease and I hope I’m not the only idiot doing this. Also, it appears that the more you catch of a pokemon, the easier it becomes to catch it so you may need to start with Ultra/Great balls to guarantee a catch but you can eventually switch to cheap poke balls and have them almost always be a catch.
I have been chaining Pikachu for a shiny one for most of the day, among doing other things.

Chain is 200 strong and 2 shiny Caterpie, a shiny Metapod, a shiny Pidgey and a shiny Bulbasaur have spawned in, but no Pikachu. Caught none of those though, because I can't be bothered breaking this chain.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Doesn't the shiny chance bonus (and all other bonuses) cap at 31 chain though?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

400 is a ton of candy. As for his rarity, the actual transfer mechanic between Go and Let’s Go helps with it. Once a week, whenever you transfer pokemon from Go to Let’s Go, you get an item in Go that acts as a Meltan lure.
And I'm pretty sure that's the only way to get Meltan in Go, besides a currently ongoing special quest. It doesn't spawn in the wild. So you don't really have to play Go, you just have to open your Meltan box a few weeks in a row and catch all the spawning Meltan with pinap berries.
Also if it works like a normal lure it spawns more when you are moving >20 mph, so do it while on a bus.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Disargeria posted:

Doesn't the shiny chance bonus (and all other bonuses) cap at 31 chain though?
Yes, but candies. Partnerchu is capped at 200+ to all stats, almost another 200 Pikachu candies and capped out on quick candy for the most part at this stage.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bongo Bill posted:

EVs are not awarded in Let's Go (although data pertaining to them still exists, and a game could in principle use both EVs and the new system at the same time). Instead, you get candy, which you can use to give boosts similar to what EVs do. Unlike EVs, candy doesn't scale based on level. The limits on how far they can improve a pokemon's stats are much higher than EVs: the limit on how high a given stat can be increased is ridiculous (although it takes more and more candy to get there), and you can boost every stat to the maximum if you want.

Hmm! I had begun to suspect this when my dudes were struggling despite being at around level partity with enemy trainers. I've been swapping dudes in and out of my party pretty liberally. I haven't fed candies to very many of them because I'm not sure who will be a permanent party member yet. Maybe I should just feed them candy, since it's so easy to get more...

Well, speed candy at least. I'm drowning in speed candy but have only a handful of the rest. I assume the kind of candy you get roughly corresponds to what EVs you'd get from that particular Pokemon? I've just been catching a lot of fast dudes. Who would give attack candy? Bellsprout I guess?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Someone please link me the GameShark code for infinite Masterballs

Namaste

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tentacruel and Tencacool to a lesser degree having a movement pattern that hones in on your position is totally cool and not annoying as all hell.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I did a living Dex without hacking any Pokemon but dear god after reading this page I'll absolutely just be using PKhex to drop in a drat Melmetal. That sort of grind is absurd alongside of having to actually play Pokemon Go

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
FYI for those of you chaining for shines the cap where it makes any difference is 31. After that point you can just run around and wait for a shiny to pop

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Waffles Inc. posted:

I did a living Dex without hacking any Pokemon but dear god after reading this page I'll absolutely just be using PKhex to drop in a drat Melmetal. That sort of grind is absurd alongside of having to actually play Pokemon Go

:same:

After I finish Let's Go i'll probably just open up SUMO and finish the last dozen or so things there I didn't get in my Living.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Melmetal being ridiculously tedious to obtain makes some sense as its a Mythical Pokémon on par with Manaphy or Jirachi. Game Freak would want to make you jump through hoops to obtain certain monsters and we've been spoiled with events where you could just download the monster via mystery gift.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think the "trying to rope Go players into the main games" is a very weird marketing approach. How many total people play Pokemon Go, but also own a Nintendo Switch, but ALSO haven't played any other Pokemon games? It seems more like a game aimed at moms than kids.

Look for pictures of raids in Japan. School kids, college students, mothers, salarymen, and everyone in-between are playing Pokémon GO over there. For a lot of them, the Switch might even be their first console, since cell phones reign supreme on the portable tech front, and having any combination of those players able to jump right in and even play together is great.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played Pokémon red and yellow and then stopped and never played go so this game is fun but very confusing because nothing is explained

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Read the signs and talk to the people

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Anyone else notice how it says "You used x item" when an enemy trainer uses an item? How does poo poo like that make it through QA?
Also, gotdamn are they lazy with the double battles. So many pairs of picnickers with corresponding Nidoran that know helping hand, but nope, you fight them one at a time.

I love the game but poo poo like that is unexcusable.

E: while I'm here, it's also bullshit that the traded Alolan Pokémon don't have nicknames.

Chill Penguin fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 19, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bit of a fringe case but something to keep in mind later: the game automatically switches poke balls once you run out of the ones you’re using. So if you’re not paying attention and for some reason aren’t keeping your pokeball stock in the hundreds you could accidentally use the master ball.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

a7m2 posted:

Read the signs and talk to the people

seriously, the game explains everything you just need to not skip the npcs or ignore what trainers are saying in battles

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The starters you’re gifted each have one 31 IV and two 30s.

How can I tell which ones are 31/30 before the IV judge?

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 19, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

After ONE HOUR with lures getting my Lapras chain started I finally reach an 11 combo so they start spawning regularly. Lapras #13 immediately escapes, breaking the combo.

gently caress YOU.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

After ONE HOUR with lures getting my Lapras chain started I finally reach an 11 combo so they start spawning regularly. Lapras #13 immediately escapes, breaking the combo.

gently caress YOU.

literally just had this happen with charmanders on route 4 fuckin kill me

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

seriously, the game explains everything you just need to not skip the npcs or ignore what trainers are saying in battles

I have never read anything in my life and I'm not going to start now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I'm wondering if this will ever interact with the larger ecosystem (Pokebank and Mainline games) given how different all of the stats are. If it is gonna be possible to export, I wonder if they'll have to run some sort of stat normalization tool (maybe you select which ones you want to have 252?)

If so, it's gonna be funny to see LGPE become the best ever EV trainer when you can just PKhex infinite candy

Speaking of, since this feeds straight into Go, it's not going to be long until we see hacked and hacked-by-proxy-because-of-items Pokemon within Go itself, too