Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

wemgo posted:

I’m pretty sure even phd’s don’t automatically get their PE. In fact I think they have to teach for a number of years before they can sit for it.

I mistyped I mean qualify him to sit for it in the same time that going back for his civil would.

Mostly I just abhor the idea of someone going back to undergrad. Undergrad loving sucks. The structure of undergraduate engineering degrees is dildoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

CarForumPoster posted:

Maybe a dumb question but are there any masters degrees that qualify you to sit for the PE? At least kill two birds with one stone there and no ones gonna spend $50k on a regular state-school masters.
You mean sit at the PE without any additional experience? No.
(They generally want 4 years of college + 4 years of experience. Or 5 years of college + years of experience. But generally experience in the same discipline.)

Regarding CE vs. CET, as a previous poster mentioned I would double check the requirements.

If I had to do the whole college thing again...
2 year degree -> roll into 4 year state college

Get as many scholarships as you can.

I still need to do my FE and PE.
Kind of hard to study when you're working 50-60 hours a week...

I am getting to the point in my life where I need to figure out where I really need to have a "home base" for one reason or another...
Decisions decisions...

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 7, 2018

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
For the experience calculation, most states count a master's as one year of professional experience and a doctorate as one additional year.

Whether or not you can sit for a PE with only an accredited master's in engineering depends on the state. Some states allow it, some states allow it but require extra experience, and some don't allow it. It can make comity tough if you're in a situation where you will need to maintain multiple licenses.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

Maybe a dumb question but are there any masters degrees that qualify you to sit for the PE? At least kill two birds with one stone there and no ones gonna spend $50k on a regular state-school masters.

No a college degree and a PE are two entirely different things.

First you have to Pass the FE exam then qualify as an EIT and then after some time under the supervision of a PE and having completed an accredited degree you can sit for the PE exam.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Murgos posted:

No a college degree and a PE are two entirely different things.

First you have to Pass the FE exam then qualify as an EIT and then after some time under the supervision of a PE and having completed an accredited degree you can sit for the PE exam.

This is a little misunderstood, the FE exam doesn't have to happen before you can start 'earning' your years of experience. Your school just recommends you take the FE right away before you forget everything they taught you. I missed the FE exam during college to work on our senior project, and I ended up sitting for the FE the year before I sat the PE.

"EIT" is a mostly meaningless label, you're allowed the use the "Engineer" title if you've graduated with a Bachelors in engineering, and are working under a PE.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Your school recommends you take the FE because the percentage of undergraduates passing are used as a metric for ABET. Or at least it was.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The Chairman posted:

For the experience calculation, most states count a master's as one year of professional experience and a doctorate as one additional year.

Whether or not you can sit for a PE with only an accredited master's in engineering depends on the state. Some states allow it, some states allow it but require extra experience, and some don't allow it. It can make comity tough if you're in a situation where you will need to maintain multiple licenses.

I think California let you sub out a PhD for the experience requirement back in the 00s assuming you had passed the FE (FE = 2 year credit, masters = 1, phd = 1) but looking at the flowchart they now don't double up that education credit: having a Masters or PhD brings the experience down to 1 year but there's no getting past that. At least that's my memory of 2004, not like I had either degree.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Hey Automation/Controls people:

How do I get good at Delta V, S88, and DCS? Basically, anything process related.

I'm looking for a new job (for various reasons) and this is becoming a huge barrier for me. My background is in panel design and discrete machine design/control/programming (assembly, inspection, test, conveyors, etc.), and I consider myself to be very strong in those areas. But most of the jobs in my area are process (food/bev, pharma, chemical). They always list the typical requirements (AB/Logix, VFDs, HMIs, etc.), but they always throw other stuff on top that I don't have experience with (like Delta V and S88). This has been a pretty big deal breaker so far, and I've already been turned down for 2 jobs because of it.

The biggest issue is I have 11 years experience, so nobody wants to consider me for entry level stuff. Even if they did I'd probably have to take a hefty pay cut.

I'm sure I could take a 1 week class or something, but like almost everything in this industry that won't get me very far without practical experience to reinforce it.

It's kind of funny because I'm right next to the ISA HQ... wonder if they might be able to help!

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Thanks for all the advice, It kind of confirms my suspicion with the tech degree.

CarForumPoster posted:

In my state (DE) B.S. degrees with a scientific focus are eligible to take the FE, with PE eligible at 8 years of experience. An ABET MS in Engineering would change the experience requirement to 7 years. Also, it would require 4 semesters of pre-reqs (math sequence, dynamics, statics etc.) required to even get into an engineering masters. Just those pre-reqs would make me transferable as a civil engineering junior. Both options would cost the same (2 years of tuition + living).

I guess I have to work out if the up-front cost of this degree would yield enough increase of lifetime earning to make financial sense. Currently I make 40k as an environmental scientist, with that position peaking about upper 50s / low 60's mid to late career. However pretty much all companies I see have P.E or P.G. as their senior stafff / project managers who are making decent money.

Hello Sailor posted:

What about an environmental engineering degree? More of your coursework would probably be transferrable for it and there's a lot of overlap with civil anyway.

From what I've seen, engineering tech degrees stop at or before calc 1 for math requirements, while engineering degrees require calc 3 and differential equations. You can knock those courses (and possibly more) out by taking night courses at a local community college while you work your current job, which will reduce your tuition costs and let you sock away more cash to offset your student loans.

e: Just be sure to confirm with the university you'll be attending that the community college courses will transfer.

This was my first thought, however its no faster / cheaper than a civil degree. For example I'd still have to re-take my 2 semesters of calculus (Plus 3 more semesters of math) and physics because they do not transfer as engineering physics and calculus.

Kanish fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 9, 2018

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Kanish posted:

This was my first thought, however its no faster / cheaper than a civil degree. For example I'd still have to re-take my 2 semesters of calculus (Plus 3 more semesters of math) and physics because they do not transfer as engineering physics and calculus.

Environmental would still have the same prereqs as civil. I was thinking some of your existing coursework could count as degree-specific electives for environmental.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
So RS&H got back to me a month later from a phone interview that went well and want to fly me to Florida for a hiring event. Does this mean I'm in or what? This is like another interview but they don't call it one. This is the best response since I've started job searching.

I'll take some days in Florida midwinter either way.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Eskaton posted:

So RS&H got back to me a month later from a phone interview that went well and want to fly me to Florida for a hiring event. Does this mean I'm in or what? This is like another interview but they don't call it one. This is the best response since I've started job searching.

I dont know. It sounds like an interview to me.

Also if youre in Jacksonville and like breakfast/lunch biscuits try maple street biscuit company while youre there.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

what are the chances of me being accepted into an MEng / MSc degree if I graduate with a 2:1 (UK, so 60-69% average, ~3.7GPA) on my Bachelors? generic universities and then merit universities, as I imagine merit universities have much tougher entry requirements so they'd probably only take you on with a 1st (70%+ or a 4.0GPA), right?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Is this still in the UK? Don't know what you mean by merit university. I think most would be fine with a 2:1 for master's intake but depends partly where it's from, and how well you can show you know your stuff.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Eskaton posted:

Did they tender you an offer with a stated salary and start date? No? Then it's an interview.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Eskaton posted:

It's an interview but the people you are going to talk to are also going to be talking to at least 4 other people the same day. The last hiring event I went to there were more than 40 interviewees (and multiple groups of interviewers).

Better than no response, but you want to bring your A game. Enjoy the trip!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Also, if within 24 hrs of the event someone doesn't say to you, "We are going to make you an offer." you probably aren't getting an offer.

They don't want to tell you straight up no because sometimes the first choice falls through so they might say something like, "We need to review all the candidates, we will let you know." but don't let that string you on for weeks.

For fresh out of college hiring you do some interviews and then the team meets for 20 seconds and people go, "What do you think about candidate X?" And people say yes or no and it's done.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eskaton posted:

Hiring events are mass interviews. They think you're worth spending money on to bring in, but dropping a few hundred bucks on a viable new hire isn't really a major investment. Enjoy the trip.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Murgos posted:

Also, if within 24 hrs of the event someone doesn't say to you, "We are going to make you an offer." you probably aren't getting an offer.

They don't want to tell you straight up no because sometimes the first choice falls through so they might say something like, "We need to review all the candidates, we will let you know." but don't let that string you on for weeks.

For fresh out of college hiring you do some interviews and then the team meets for 20 seconds and people go, "What do you think about candidate X?" And people say yes or no and it's done.

Well this isn't exactly true. It took the first place to hire me a good two weeks to get back to me with an offer after the 'hiring event' i went to

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
You weren't their first choice, fam.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Well this isn't exactly true. It took the first place to hire me a good two weeks to get back to me with an offer after the 'hiring event' i went to

Corla Plankun posted:

You weren't their first choice, fam.

Could be other reasons but pretty good chance he's right.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
Alright, thanks for the heads up. I'm guessing for fresh out of school this is more of a personality gauge thing, right?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eskaton posted:

Alright, thanks for the heads up. I'm guessing for fresh out of school this is more of a personality gauge thing, right?

Pretty much. When looking at resumes I'm looking at relevant work experience, and then when I interview the focus is more on whether or not the candidate is a good fit for the team. For example if I'm part of the field testing team I want someone comfortable with being outside, able to improvise, and willing to work with tools and their hands. If I'm part of the systems engineering group I want someone organized and detail oriented. The personalities in the manufacturing group are different from those in the research department, yet both might be interviewing the same pool.

Use this as an opportunity to determine how good a fit the group is for you. Interviews work both ways.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
So...

Question for the thread, for those of you working at larger companies, how are ya'll doing on having your poo poo organized?

It seems at my mega corp recently the beginning of the retirement of the boomers is starting to catch up with us. Cracks are beginning to appear in the foundation of my company. One of which is just how dis-organized we appear to be. Department A does not talk to Department B.

But perhaps this is just the transition of time.
Especially since the transition of data to the cloud... organization of material appears to be an after thought.

And the transition from meetings to phone calls to emails. (gently caress email.)

I dunno.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 18, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Senor P. posted:

So...

Question for the thread, for those of you working at larger companies, how are ya'll doing on having your poo poo organized?

It seems at my mega corp recently the beginning of the retirement of the boomers is starting to catch up with us. Cracks are beginning to appear in the foundation of my company. One of which is just how dis-organized we appear to be. Department A does not talk to Department B.

Especially since the transition of data to the cloud... organization of material appears to be an after thought.

And the transition from meetings to phone calls to emails. (gently caress email.)

I dunno.

Sounds par for the course with most large institutions, especially ones undergoing major transitions. With any luck new norms will be established and the organization will become cohesive. More likely this is the new norm.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Senor P. posted:

So...

I dunno.
It has always been like this and always will be. You're just getting more insight into the processes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dik Hz posted:

It has always been like this and always will be. You're just getting more insight into the processes.

Also this. Things aren't getting worse, you're getting wiser.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Come work at the Department of Defense and get a whole new perspective on disorganization.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hello Sailor posted:

Come work at the Department of Defense and get a whole new perspective on disorganization.

If we don't know what we're doing the enemy sure as hell won't.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Hi friends. I'm in my last year of studying mechanical engineering and I've been asked to attend an assessment centre for a job that involves nuclear applications. Being a mechanical engineering student my experience with anything nuclear has pretty much been non-existent in my studies. What kind of basic topics would you guys recommend I swot up on so I don't make an rear end of myself?

Frankston fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 19, 2018

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Frankston posted:

Hi friends. I'm in my last year of studying mechanical engineering and I've been asked to attend an assessment centre for a job that involves nuclear applications. Being a mechanical engineering student my experience with anything nuclear has pretty much been non-existent in my studies. What kind of basic topics would you guys recommend I swot up on so I don't make an rear end of myself?

Honesty there's not much different between Nuclear and non-Nuclear as far as your engineering is concerned. There's not much you can study effectively right now.

Stuff that's different:
Regulatory space is everywhere in nuclear. You have to do 3x as much work to complete a calculation or modification package because you have to justify everything you did per regulations.

QA is everywhere. You have mandated reviews all over the place. There are tons of QA/QC procedures with requirements on how to handle your design inputs and references within projects.

None of that stuff is really stuff you can prep for super well. You need to be in it, doing it, to really get it. You're not gonna just google NEI 12-06 and suddenly know how nuclear mechanical mods are getting done.

So you're probably already fine as-is. There are tons of uses for a mech eng at a nuclear plant, so as long as you have some kind of ability to deploy what you learn in college, you'll be fine.

The question is if you WANT to work in the nuclear field, cause there's a lot of headaches there you don't put up with otherwise, and it's a shrinking field with less and less job security as time goes on. It can pay solid, and a lot of the workforce there is ancient and retiring so they do need people, but I'd personally not make that my first choice.

I say that from experience, having made it my first choice 6 years ago and having happily left nuclear work 3 years ago. I didn't know my rear end from a hole in the ground mech eng wise when I started there, and I still ended up being the go-to person for pipe stress calculations because I self-taught myself AutoPipe in a week to help with pipe support calcs. So there's not a whole ton to bone up on now that you wouldn't learn naturally as part of getting up to speed after hiring.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Pander posted:

I say that from experience, having made it my first choice 6 years ago and having happily left nuclear work 3 years ago.
My friend's husband is in nuclear, and I wanted to add that they generally don't build nuclear plants anywhere close to where the majority of people want to live. They're the ultimate NIMBY.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Dik Hz posted:

I wanted to add that they generally don't build nuclear plants

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Dik Hz posted:

My friend's husband is in nuclear, and I wanted to add that they generally don't build nuclear plants anywhere close to where the majority of people want to live. They're the ultimate NIMBY.
This is something I wish I would have considered more carefully before I took my first job in oil/gas after majoring in chemical engineering.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

spf3million posted:

This is something I wish I would have considered more carefully before I took my first job in oil/gas after majoring in chemical engineering.

Similarly, I wish I had thought more about where steel mills and mines tend to get built before majoring in metallurgical engineering. It seems a little obvious in retrospect but it’s easy to neglect.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
6 years late and 14 billion dollars over budget. That's the only non-cancelled project projections for new nuclear reactions in America.

The new nuclear reactors in SC were cancelled after billions were lost and Westinghouse went under.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Anachronist posted:

Similarly, I wish I had thought more about where steel mills and mines tend to get built before majoring in metallurgical engineering. It seems a little obvious in retrospect but it’s easy to neglect.

Get into additive manufacturing.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Anachronist posted:

Are you crazy? I feel like I see alloy/materials and process engineers all the time. Every aerospace company has tons of them, they're often required signatures on drawings for aircraft structure of all kinds from missiles to planes. That said they often accept a variety of degrees including Chem E, Mech E and B.S. Materials Science.

Big tech companies like Apple and Google usually have a few for their R&D on anodizing, machining, and alloy development ops.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Get into additive manufacturing.

This is definitely on the rise but in big industry still a very small market. As cool as additive manufacturing seems, DMLS materials strength and certifiability wise it has left a lot of disappointment in its wake. I say this having worked in the tech and aerospace industries including manufacturing R&D. I really really really want it to be good, but even some of the low stress applications you'd think its good for like specialty, small, horn or choke ring antennas its just crap at when you actually test the thing.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 20, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CarForumPoster posted:

This is definitely on the rise but in big industry still a very small market. As cool as additive manufacturing seems, DMLS materials strength and certifiability wise it has left a lot of disappointment in its wake. I say this having worked in the tech and aerospace industries including manufacturing R&D. I really really really want it to be good, but even some of the low stress applications you'd think its good for like specialty, small, horn or choke ring antennas its just crap at when you actually test the thing.

I'm not sure what results you've been seeing but metal AM is huge. Laser powder bed is putting out high quality, high density parts with repeatable results. Boeing uses hundreds of machines to make the nozzles for their LEAP engines. The Navy flew an Osprey that featured a 3D printed titanium link that held the engine on the wing. I agree that certification and validation is a challenge, but it's being done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm not sure what results you've been seeing but metal AM is huge. Laser powder bed is putting out high quality, high density parts with repeatable results. Boeing uses hundreds of machines to make the nozzles for their LEAP engines. The Navy flew an Osprey that featured a 3D printed titanium link that held the engine on the wing. I agree that certification and validation is a challenge, but it's being done.

Name any aircraft where >1% of metal parts is AM. Now consider that the other >99% of parts were all signed off on by a M&P person. Clearly if the concern is "what industry has metallurgist jobs" its not the one that produces a very very tiny fraction of the parts in all industries, even if that industry is likely to expand.

I really REALLY like additive manufacturing and own an SLA 3D printer...but like many revolutionary things it just hasnt lived up to the hype. It'll probably go through a bit of a PR bust and then itll find its sweet spots.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 20, 2018