Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
waaay sooner than 20 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

and they'll crash more than the f35

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

"Oh gosh wow well you guys always say that stuff about empowering the user right??"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Mods can I be recognized as an owner on these forums thx

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

someone tell this guy about general dynamics, boeing, lockheed and raytheon

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Prav posted:

someone tell this guy about general dynamics, boeing, lockheed and raytheon

Those are mercenaries, they're saying those companies are going to be warlords.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
cant wait to live the corporate nanobot wars from the diamond age irl

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

MizPiz posted:

Those are mercenaries, they're saying those companies are going to be warlords.

The relationships are actually already well established, if you want to understand what the ecology of the corporations-as-states environment you'll have to entangle a complex web of personal, political and business relationships that developed over an incredibly long period of time

I dont know if theres anyone who can elucidate the current configuration of these networks of control but here's a primer from, my god, 2007:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bruceupbin/2011/10/22/the-147-companies-that-control-everything/

this PDF has all the data and citations

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
imagine children growing up now for whom this is normal

we'll have adults next year who have never known anything but forever war

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I remember the before times. they also sucked.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I remember the before times. they also sucked.

thing can suck and still be better than the alternati-

oh god the centrism its got me end me now

end me now

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Cinnamon Bear posted:

thing can suck and still be better than the alternati-

oh god the centrism its got me end me now

end me now

do you believe things could still be better?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cinnamon Bear posted:

We already did have adults who never knew anything but the US when at war. That was pretty much the entirety of the Cold War, the US jumping from one intervention in a foreign country to the next. You're the weirdo for taking a brief period of peace as the standard.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I have legit read posts on this very website doubting the relationship between 9/11 and today's security culture. Here I am sobbing like crazy person insisting you used to be able take drinks and wear shoes on planes

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
poo poo, i took knives in my carryon before 911

europe already had dudes at checkpoints with ak's or whatever tho, in the 90's

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

got any sevens posted:

poo poo, i took knives in my carryon before 911

europe already had dudes at checkpoints with ak's or whatever tho, in the 90's

those werent security guys thats just what eastern europeans look like. they were waiting for someone whose plane was landing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Grondoth posted:

I'm surprised more people on this website don't carry cash. It's the best way to circumvent all sorts of bullshit hook in fees.

A while back my department at work all agreed to chip in on a going-away present for someone, and at the end we each owed six bucks to the guy who'd actually bought it. While everyone was trying to figure out how to Zelle it to each other or whatever, I just plunked a Lincoln and a Washington down on the desk in front of the guy, and everyone looked at me like I'd grown another head. I even took a bit of ribbing for using something as old-fashioned and inconvenient as cash, while they all spent another ten minutes getting all the emails and whatnot straightened out to do their tiny little bank transfers.

Fortunately, only one restaurant near the office has stopped accepting cash entirely, and it's not one I would go to very often anyway.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

I have legit read posts on this very website doubting the relationship between 9/11 and today's security culture. Here I am sobbing like crazy person insisting you used to be able take drinks and wear shoes on planes
Whether anyone realizes it now or not but 9/11 was the most significant events in the history of America and is certainly the defining event since the moon landing or even the end of WWII. 9/11 broke American culture and set us on the terrible path we’re on now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/HumansOfLate/status/1064425273406484480

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Dead Beef posted:

speaking of unintended side-effects, the very real danger of social media is that the underlying data analytics are manipulating people in ways that nobody intended and that most people, even the designers, are unaware of

the social media business model revolves around keeping people using their service as much as possible, acting exactly like an addiction (facebook engineers exploit "dopamine hits") by designing feedback loops coupled with AI that constantly analyzes how you respond to what you see and then changes what you see next to maximize your engagement
social media doesn't manipulate people directly, social media gets people addicted to their service
social media sells their "addiction service" to third parties who are allowed access to the data feedback loop, they're the ones who want to manipulate you, eg: advertisers, political think-tanks, malcontents

but the addiction engine has side-effects
humans are predisposed to react more strongly to negative emotions in the short-term because this is advantageous for survival, we're more balanced and rational in the long-term because it takes time to absorb and process information correctly. so the AI, without it being intended, started exploiting those short-term negative emotions to maximize the addiction
another side-effect is that people stay addicted when they don't realize they're addicted, so the kinds of filters that are created by these AI-driven feedback loops are ones that are invisible to people so that they have a hard time recognizing that anything is wrong

sometimes people might recognize that they're stuck in a social media loop, but the addiction wins out in the end, they see a post about "THOSE EVIL FUCKS WHO YOU SHOULD BE AFRAID OF" and they get sucked right back in because the AI in your personal hell has figured out how to exploit negative emotions to keep you hooked

the dystopian part comes into focus when you allow people to become billionaires by selling arbitrary third-parties access to a personalized media addiction system

you just described my experience with this subforum

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hackbunny posted:

I always tip delivery guys, and always in cash. How much of an idiot hellfucker do you have to be, to tip through the app? what exactly did you think was going to happen to your tip?

Yeah but then you’re helping Door Dash disrupt the IRS.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

In this page's context, I expected that to be 9/11 on her butt

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I always tip in cash if I have it, but that's barely ever because on an average day I might have $7 in my wallet.

Related, but I think one of the big reasons the past 30 years have seen crime drop (violent street crime, obviously white collar crime doesn't count) is because people don't carry cash anymore. Used to be you mug a guy in a nice suit in an alley your guaranteed to clear a few hundo, but now everyone just pays for everything with a debit card.

I mean yea you can steal a smartphone which everyone has, but then you gotta fence it for pennies on the dollar and hope there's no kill switch built in.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cinnamon Bear posted:

i have some bad news about the last 150 years

the current status quo where we're not officially at war but can't go two months without a US soldier blowing someone up in a country we have "interests" in is how things have been since before any of us was born

even before WWII, in the days of our so-called "isolationism". hell, even before WWI. about the only time it ever stopped was during the Depression, when all the troops were too busy shooting strikers and civil rights activists back home to bother with foreign interventions

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

i have some bad news about the last 150 years

the current status quo where we're not officially at war but can't go two months without a US soldier blowing someone up in a country we have "interests" in is how things have been since before any of us was born

even before WWII, in the days of our so-called "isolationism". hell, even before WWI. about the only time it ever stopped was during the Depression, when all the troops were too busy shooting strikers and civil rights activists back home to bother with foreign interventions

:911:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
We haven't had a war since 1941, I don't know what you guys are talking about. Everything's great.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/stephemcneal/status/1064566495156539400

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

well she's not wrong

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I wonder what percentage of people grow up with that level of narcissistic parents.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
social media really brings out narcissistic behavior in some people

her post tries to sound like it's about her son but c'mon lady we all know this is about you and your internet points

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/stephemcneal/status/1064567511344193537?s=21

https://twitter.com/scottgoblue314/status/1064573897037746176?s=21

holy moly

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

please bear with me i just realised that fire hurts

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I'm assuming that she's a tulpa created by misogynist boomers complaining about women who only care about selfies on their phones

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

controlled demolitions don’t usually have people in the buildings!!!!

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
the internet makes you stupid

has anyone ever said that

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
:cripes:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/PatrickIber/status/1064591687484346373

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/patrickiber/status/1064591093931679744?s=21

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Home Alone was supposed to be just slapstick, but it got out of hand and really conveyed the pain.

Torture was all over the place back in the Batman Animated Series, to show how tough and hard-boiled Batman is. He never actively beats up anyone, but there's a lot of death threats. The ol' "if you just threaten to murder somebody but don't actually murder them, it's fine" gambit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqjR9rFelpw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q_oe2R_WB8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMLUi_pUb0M

I'm pretty sure the physics of plane flight and stall speeds mean that last one would probably be fatal, or at least put you in the hospital. Back in those days there was a push towards being edgier, which kinda laid the ground for more questionably moral heroes before the propaganda to justify American torture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
whats the deal with venmo? is it safe? i just downloaded it because someone wanted me to try it and on the front page its showing who is paying who. is the point that it's more public, like buttcoin ledger (but not with the extra-stupid mining)?