Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Hillary lost by a razor-thin margin of like 30k votes in 3 states, so confidently saying "[X] had no effect on the outcome" is just dumb as hell; with a loss that narrow, the odds are good that every single thing contributed. Hillary lost due to a perfect storm of factors: her huge unfavorability, some big campaign blunders, Russian interference, the Comey letter, voter suppression, the media's insistence on a horse race, and widespread apathy from the certainty she'd win. Change any one of those, and she wins. Of course she was a bad candidate and that set a low baseline, but the sheer aggregate of outside forces working against her helped push her down to a narrow loss instead of a narrow win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

TheScott2K posted:

If your retirement is decades away and your 401k is made of fairly diversified funds (as opposed to, say, company stock) that's pretty much the opposite of what you should be doing.
The tax avoidance alone, along with employer matching, makes it better then just sticking it under your mattress.

If you're not at least maxing out the employer contribution, you're leaving money on the table.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CommieGIR posted:

You do know what the punishment for these things in Saudi Arabia is right?

You do know that you said it was "a bunch of informants" and have now completely switched to a completely different topic, right?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Yinlock posted:

They didn't exactly have to go far to find evidence of Hillary being a massively corrupt war criminal

I don't want to get backed into some corner where I'm defending Hillary Clinton's record. I was trying to make a point more about the likely incorrect/conspiracy-level stuff that was fired at her that may or may not have come via Russian Interference.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FizFashizzle posted:

wikileaks went down before Assange though, when one of the members got bought out by BoA and deleted everything they had, if I'm remembering that correctly.

that wasn't how i remembered it, although it's possible there's something i missed

https://www.wired.com/2011/08/wikileaks-documents-destroyed/

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/wiki-war-3500-unpublished-leaks-destroyed-forever-as-assange-hits-out-20110822-1j5gw.html

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-bankofamerica-wikileaks-idUSTRE77L55P20110822

My takeaway from the articles more or less matches what I remembered, with one addition that may be what you're remembering, or maybe there was further info on it?

- Wikileaks leaks the Manning stuff, before this whole chain of events
- One of Wikileaks' major dudes / cofounders gets disgruntled (ostensibly, if we assume he's not an agent of the imperialist pigs) with Assange being an rear end in general and with his lack of sufficient redaction of things in the Manning leak in particular (which is incidentally the first thing that made me go "uh maybe Assange is a dick" and start paying more attention to intra-Wikileaks drama, and also get called an imperialist pig for expressing skepticism of Assange)
- dude eventually leaves and destroys a portion of wikileaks' unleaked files on his way out, ostensibly because he doesn't trust assange to protect the sources, also possibly because he hates assange and is very mad
- assange accuses him of being an agent of the FBI, CIA, Mossad, and Wired Magazine, as per this article and linked statement:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/blogs/cutline/julian-assange-lashes-ex-wikileaks-employee-deleted-files-211246280.html

So unless there's independent corroboration of Assange's accusations of a dude he hates who he drove out of Wikileaks like all the other good contributors to Wikileaks, my response to the Assange accusations of DDB being an agent of [all the imperialist pigs who hate Julian Assange's stalwart commitment to the truth] is going to remain a hearty lol.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
This is a bit off topic, but is there are reason why Vox isn't really trusted around here?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You do know that you said it was "a bunch of informants" and have now completely switched to a completely different topic, right?

True, and I'll give you that. Guess Wikileaks is good now? Or are we going to pretend that they haven't been a Russian puppet for ages now?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1064593913636417542
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1064594819752837120

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Russia spent something like 15 million dollars in advertising. Hillary spent a billion.

She was the second most unpopular candidate in history BEFORE the Russians ever lifted a loving pinky.

Come on dude. It probably flipped enough people but way way less than any major celeb endorsement (which all went for Hillary)

Russian propaganda didn't demonize Hillary, decades of GOP propaganda did.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Willo567 posted:

This is a bit off topic, but is there are reason why Vox isn't really trusted around here?

i don't think it's more distrusted than other publications when it does news, just when it tries to be on the left but sucks at it

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

eke out posted:

it's weird how when you purposefully post knowingly-incomplete, admittedly "dismissive" examples something in order to minimize it, then repeatedly move the goal posts and quibble over definitions (because you only use the passive construction to avoid the "leaked by who?" part that cuts against you)

people think that's bad faith

i haven't moved the goal posts once eke out

and aren't you tired of embarrassing yourself with the quibbling over whether or not the DNC leak was a leak or not? first you tried to claim that only someone who gave in to russian propaganda would call it a leak, then you tried to claim that only seth rich truthers would call it a leak, and now you're trying to say I called it a leak cause I don't believe russia hacked the DNC and i'm trying to hide that or something. it's pretty sad

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

I personally attribute all the gains made by democrats in suburban districts to trump blowing up the SALT deduction. HENRYs and other assorted rich people absolutely hated that and it definitely sealed the deal for the GOP in IL-14 and other wealthy areas outside major cities.

I remember when D&D liberals liked Assange for collateral murder and all the wikileaks exposes of the Bush administration.

I certainly had a weird feeling of double think canvassing in the subdivisions of IL-14 and talking about how the Democrat is going to fight to lower their taxes.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CommieGIR posted:

:ssh: It wasn't during the Manning trial. They dumped a huge boatload of Saudi leaks that basically outed tons of rape survivors and gays in Saudi Arabia.

Oh was this the thing where Assange said they deserved to die as "collaborators?"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Z. Autobahn posted:

Of course she was a bad candidate and that set a low baseline, but the sheer aggregate of outside forces working against her helped push her down to a narrow loss instead of a narrow win.

HRC has zero chin as a political candidate, she's always been a zero-conviction neoliberal shapeshifter, so anything you say about her can land because it all seems plausible. Weak candidates with zero conviction and no real core morality are very vulnerable to outside attacks, because a weak candidate has no intrinsic push-back against external definition. HRC ran away from defining herself the entire campaign and buried her policies under 25 feet of neoliberal means testing (not that anyone believed she was going to do any of it, anyway)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Rigel posted:

If these 16 no's hold, then Pelosi will not be able to be elected speaker with Democrat votes alone.

https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/1064589318558240768

Ben McAdams seems liable to lose so lol at him. I hope he wins bc gently caress Mia Love but his opinion doesn't mean poo poo rn.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Office Pig posted:

If I recall correctly there is a distinct possibility this ends up with a speaker from the minority party.
Thing is there are other representatives in the CPC that the CPC and the rest of the Democratic caucus could agree on as speaker. They're not coming forward because Pelosi is still trying to secure the votes to get the speakership. And that's fine, but if it gets to the point where she's holding on to it despite the risk, or if she waits long enough that alternatives aren't able to secure the votes in time, then holy poo poo is Pelosi 1000x worse for the Democratic party than any of us dreamed of in a million years. We shall see.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jaxyon posted:

Russian propaganda didn't demonize Hillary, decades of GOP propaganda did.

The GOP could scream about Bernie for 30 years and it wouldn't do a drat thing, ask yourself why third-way Dems are so vulnerable to GOP smears.

Also again I have to point out that 15 million in Russian crap over 2 years is absolutely trivial compared to decades of the multi-billion-dollar GOP Outrage/Noise Machine

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I certainly had a weird feeling of double think canvassing in the subdivisions of IL-14 and talking about how the Democrat is going to fight to lower their taxes.

The good news is that when the deduction is restored by the democrats in a grand, bipartisan manner IL-14 will comfortably go back to voting for diet CHUDs and other rogues.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Willo567 posted:

Vox is basically the media equivalent of :decorum: mixed with slick Silicon Valley presentation, I wouldn't characterize them as unreliable on a factual basis per se but they are the epitome of trying to position yourself as having no ideology as ideology, if that makes sense.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Willo567 posted:

allow Vox founder Ezra Klein to explain to you in his own words why Paul Ryan is a man we need to take seriously, and it's time to admit Hillary Clinton is an extraordinarily talented politician.

if you are circumspect enough to not openly scream racial slurs, and are willing to make noises about the deficit from time to time, Vox is going to fall over itself to suck you off.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

eke out posted:

i don't think it's more distrusted than other publications when it does news, just when it tries to be on the left but sucks at it

They seem to have a lot of click-baity headlines, more than other news organizations

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Condiv posted:

i haven't moved the goal posts once eke out

and aren't you tired of embarrassing yourself with the quibbling over whether or not the DNC leak was a leak or not? first you tried to claim that only someone who gave in to russian propaganda would call it a leak, then you tried to claim that only seth rich truthers would call it a leak, and now you're trying to say I called it a leak cause I don't believe russia hacked the DNC and i'm trying to hide that or something. it's pretty sad

first, russian propagandists did create an entire campaign about it was a leak. second, seth rich truthers still believe it's a leak. third, you've spent all of your last posts arguing with stickman and myself about how no one can make me say the word hacks i'm just, like, a poster, man

but it feels like you're just straight-up trolling at this point by saying "i haven't moved the goal posts" then continuing to do that very thing

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The possibility of the death penalty for what they see as "killing a fetus".

"We have to kill women in order to save baby lives" is definitely "pro-life" "logic".

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I would like to see what US politics looks like 5-10-15 years after something like this gets implemented by the SCOTUS....

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

True, and I'll give you that. Guess Wikileaks is good now? Or are we going to pretend that they haven't been a Russian puppet for ages now?

No WikiLeaks is bad but you don't show that by making up lies about how exposing the crimes of the US and its puppet states totally killed thousands of people (whattabout...)

E: I should clarify I meant "you" generally not you specifically

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 19, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The GOP could scream about Bernie for 30 years and it wouldn't do a drat thing, ask yourself why third-way Dems are so vulnerable to GOP smears.

I think this is extremely optimistic, and assumes that most people are like ideological leftists - i.e. at least attempting to have some kind of coherent opinions - rather than simply too busy or too disinterested to follow politics and forming their opinions based on what they hear and what their peers/loved ones think. I think you could credibly argue that it wouldn't work as well on Bernie, given the recent example of Obama - who was viciously demonized as Hillary was but none of the scandals really stuck in the same way - but I don't think you can credibly argue it "wouldn't do a drat thing."

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

HRC has zero chin as a political candidate, she's always been a zero-conviction neoliberal shapeshifter, so anything you say about her can land because it all seems plausible. Weak candidates with zero conviction and no real core morality are very vulnerable to outside attacks, because a weak candidate has no intrinsic push-back against external definition. HRC ran away from defining herself the entire campaign and buried her policies under 25 feet of neoliberal means testing (not that anyone believed she was going to do any of it, anyway)

That's part of it, for sure. In that sense, having Trump as an opponent was uniquely bad because he was an endless barrage of low-blow kicks while she was (barely) primed for a fencing duel with the likes of Jeb. For me, the moment when I really felt 'oh god she's going to blow this' was when she apologized and walked back the deplorables comment, when anyone candidate with a lick of instinct would've doubled-downed on it ("Goddamn right I think the KKK is deplorable").

But on the other hand, she was up against a uniquely loathed opponent who was also running a terrible campaign. So all the little things actually made a huge difference precisely because both candidates were widely detested and running badly. If the Comey letter had been about Trump, he would've lost; if the Russians had hacked his campaign and leaked his dirt, he would've lost; hell, if the polls had showed a dead heat, he would've lost. In a world where the Dems had run a strong candidate, it wouldn't have mattered, but in this one, it really did.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Also again I have to point out that 15 million in Russian crap over 2 years is absolutely trivial compared to decades of the multi-billion-dollar GOP Outrage/Noise Machine
It's really weird that you're focusing on the dollar amounts and not the hacked information released in a politically motivated way to disguise the source, backed up by a network of bots to create authenticity.

Also I guess ignoring all the dark money? That seems weird too.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The possibility of the death penalty for what they see as "killing a fetus".

"We have to kill women in order to save baby lives" is definitely "pro-life" "logic".

Since murder doesn't have a statue of limitations, that would mean any woman who had an abortion would be up for the death penalty. Thus there would be no more "moral abortions".

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Bernie was a fringe candidate until 2016, Hillary has been prominent since the 90's and has a vagina.

And pointing out that russian propaganda was nothing compared to decades of GOP Outrage bullshit is correct, that's what I said.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Lightning Knight posted:

I think the idea (which I think Condiv would agree with but correct me if I'm wrong) that "Russian interference probably happened and matters in a narrow sense but doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things when you look at the problems we're facing" is actually a fairly reasonable argument. We have ten years to reorganize the global economy, we're not going to accomplish that by pinning our hopes on a Republican former FBI head maybe nailing a Republican president for flagrant corruption when we also have a Republican Senate. Trump's entire brand is basically corruption as it stands and he's demonstrated a roughly ~38% supporter floor, and while it will be really funny to see all the stupid crime poo poo he's been up to it isn't going to be what brings him down nor what fixes our actual structural problems. I think this is a coherent argument that you are free to disagree with.

Look dude, like 90% of the posts about Russian interference, even in this thread, include a line about how Hillary was unpopular, how she didn't campaign well enough, and how it was her fault she lost.

I think the Mueller investigation is going to do jack poo poo to Trump. He's gone after Trump's less-powerful lackeys but I highly doubt anything substantive will result from the investigation and if it does no one in a powerful position will legitimately suffer major consequences for it, unless those consequences are purely political. But that's how investigations of this nature are. We're going to fire Mueller and free up enough time and money to fix the planet all of a sudden? We can't try to improve the economy without shuttering the investigation? Why get upset about the existence of this investigation?

It is clear that this is an extension of the 2016 primary battle. Russian interference is Hillary's 'excuse', focusing on the interference allows democrats to 'ignore Hillary's flaws' etc. That's what creates a personal opposition to the investigation.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

eke out posted:

first, russian propagandists did create an entire campaign about it was a leak. second, seth rich truthers still believe it's a leak. third, you've spent all of your last posts arguing with stickman and myself about how no one can make me say the word hacks i'm just, like, a poster, man

i'll ask you the same thing i asked stickman: do you think i don't think russia hacked the DNC?

quote:

but it feels like you're just straight-up trolling at this point by saying "i haven't moved the goal posts" then continuing to do that very thing

look, i don't know why you think you're making a good argument by quibbling over the specific words I used, but my position from the very beginning has always been that I don't think that hillary lost cause of russian meddling, but rather because her campaign was incompetent. i haven't changed that at all

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Both happened though?

People like Vital Signs make completely disingenuous bullshit arguments about the absence of evidence being evidence of absence but both groups were 100% endangered by these acts.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Tibalt posted:

It's really weird that you're focusing on the dollar amounts and not the hacked information released in a politically motivated way to disguise the source, backed up by a network of bots to create authenticity.

I'm focusing on the dollar amount because that gives you the relative proportions of what we're talking about.

I took the Russian disinformation seriously. Then I saw completely factual American-based fact journalism referred to as "Russian trolling" because it was critical of Dems. I followed some of the "Russian bot troll" accounts and saw that they had a couple dozen followers, many of which who were fellow Russian bots.

Did it make an impact? Yes. A very very very small impact, because there wasn't a lot of it and it wasn't engaged with.

You know what was? Neera fuckin' Tanden getting a million impressions and tens of thousand retweets on her disgusting neoliberal smears.

Jarmak posted:

People like Vital Signs make completely disingenuous bullshit arguments about the absence of evidence being evidence of absence but both groups were 100% endangered by these acts.

He didn't say they were "endangered", he said they were "most likely killed", a 100% falsehood that couldn't even pass a kangaroo court. Maybe take a remedial reading course and stop defending a liar? Thanks.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 19, 2018

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
as mr. The Russian Investigation Is A Dead End, though, I will gladly say i'm for it mostly because it was a major contributing factor to getting rid of Jeff Sessions.

it is an investigation you pursue on grounds of gently caress That Guy, and no other reasons, because you don't need a better one. as the massive electoral punishment Republicans received for their constant screaming about Benghazi demonstrated.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tibalt posted:

no one can prove that russian propaganda has ever convinced anyone of anyth----

https://twitter.com/MMrsjosephm/status/1062910055085981696
https://twitter.com/Irwoodstock56/status/1061276547703848961
https://twitter.com/BritainChurch/status/1062824518845194242
https://twitter.com/jaraparilla/status/1063397370019274757
https://twitter.com/bucketoftea/status/1063388370712301568
https://twitter.com/KarenMonsour12/status/1061699952336924673
https://twitter.com/ChrisSellors/status/1060736569412177921

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Casey Finnigan posted:

Look dude, like 90% of the posts about Russian interference, even in this thread, include a line about how Hillary was unpopular, how she didn't campaign well enough, and how it was her fault she lost.

I think the Mueller investigation is going to do jack poo poo to Trump. He's gone after Trump's less-powerful lackeys but I highly doubt anything substantive will result from the investigation and if it does no one in a powerful position will legitimately suffer major consequences for it, unless those consequences are purely political. But that's how investigations of this nature are. We're going to fire Mueller and free up enough time and money to fix the planet all of a sudden? We can't try to improve the economy without shuttering the investigation? Why get upset about the existence of this investigation?

It is clear that this is an extension of the 2016 primary battle. Russian interference is Hillary's 'excuse', focusing on the interference allows democrats to 'ignore Hillary's flaws' etc. That's what creates a personal opposition to the investigation.

i think they will find poo poo, enough that the house might impeach. but its loving 75% against that trump will get convicted by the senate. but clinton's loss is mostly her fault. that being said, the dems need to push good progressive ideas as well as trump corruption poo poo.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

as mr. The Russian Investigation Is A Dead End, though, I will gladly say i'm for it mostly because it was a major contributing factor to getting rid of Jeff Sessions.

it is an investigation you pursue on grounds of gently caress That Guy, and no other reasons, because you don't need a better one. as the massive electoral punishment Republicans received for their constant screaming about Benghazi demonstrated.

It's an investigation you should pursue because Trump committed a crime and then committed other crimes to cover up that crime.

Edit: The investigation won't be a failure even when it doesn't end up with Trump being impeached. It will be good when it's revealed prominently the extent to which he is a criminal (given the fact that he is a criminal is already obvious).

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

I'm focusing on the dollar amount because that gives you the relative proportions of what we're talking about.

I took the Russian disinformation seriously. Then I saw completely factual American-based fact journalism referred to as "Russian trolling" because it was critical of Dems. I followed some of the "Russian bot troll" accounts and saw that they had a couple dozen followers, many of which who were fellow Russian bots.

Did it make an impact? Yes. A very very very small impact, because there wasn't a lot of it and it wasn't engaged with.

You know what was? Neera fuckin' Tanden getting a million impressions and tens of thousand retweets on her disgusting neoliberal smears.
How, um... how does the NRA rank in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

oh wow. i didn't realize that russian propaganda made 7 people not like the democrats. no wonder you think it cost them the election in 2016