Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hey did Stackpole ever finish that novella he was writing for the kickstarters or is that not happening? I keep remembering to check for the last bit every few months but jesus its' been a year now and I'm too lazy to dig up that backer kit login right now

Never mind, I thought I read the whole thing. Maybe I'm imagining things. I can't even figure out where the download page is at for it.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Sombrerotron posted:

Update from my last post: I'm finally doing the Panzyr mission! Here's my lance - I'll really have to pull out all the strategic stops on this one, but I think I'll just about be able to manage.

How the heck do you have a King Crab before the final mission? Please, put it in your lance asap.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Angry Lobster posted:

How the heck do you have a King Crab before the final mission? Please, put it in your lance asap.

It's really not hard to have KC before the final mission unless you're rushing the story missions. My main lance at the end of the story missions in my first play through was two KCs, the plot Highlander, and an Atlas.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's really not hard to have KC before the final mission unless you're rushing the story missions. My main lance at the end of the story missions in my first play through was two KCs, the plot Highlander, and an Atlas.

Maybe I was just unlucky back then and I need to replay the game, because I've never seen one outside story missions.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

That's pretty close to my final lance composition. You should be alright for the rest of the game.
I've actually completed the campaign before. :thejoke:

quote:

Please work that King Crab into your lance. That majestic beast deserves so much more than languishing in a hangar as a trophy.

Angry Lobster posted:

The second mission I did this time round that included any assaults at all threw no less than two King Crabs at me, but unfortunately I still wasn't able to assemble a complete Mech. I got the Highlander first and then the Atlas, and by the time I finally collected the Crab I had already set up the Atlas for double AC/20 duty. I've now thrown one AC/20 and a bunch of MLs and SRM6s on the Crab to produce an alpha strike of about 400, but I've actually yet to test it. Something for the next story mission, maybe.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Once Flashpoints make lostech more available I will roam the countryside in my Dual Gauss King Crab, sniping all opposition in my way.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Please stop throwing Zeus's at me. I want assaults, not Heavies.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Zeus is an argument for relating initiative to engine speed and not mech class.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah that happened to me too, I'm really looking forward to career mode to give a more reasonable progression curve without having to mess with mods.

My experience has been that once you make it past the Light to Medium transition, everything else goes by pretty quickly. I suspect this is because customization allows your lance to become far more powerful and effective, and all-Lights restricts your ability to customize just from lack of space.

In other words, without artificially restricting the presence of heavies and later, assaults, I can't really slow down your progress once you have a handful of mediums.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Well not getting a free assault with a lostech engine will make a big difference

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The progression curve is always gonna be wonky when it's determined by salvaging the randomly generated enemy forces. If the game decided to throw 3 orions in a row at you, it feels like the "curve" is broken. If you see a more even spread of things it feels like slow and steady progress. Probability produces clustered results more than even spreads. That's life with random generation.

Some people have gotten very good at capturing intact mechs, and for those people I recommend playing with this house rule: you are only allowed to have 1 of each mech variant in your active mechbay. I played this way recently, and though I was doing it just for variety it also really smoothed the tech curve -- even though I was only playing on 3 part salvage. The random clustering got chopped off because a second mech of the same type just got sold.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Would it be possible to have higher weight classes require more salvaged parts to assemble than lighter mechs?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
For me it's just that progressing the story seems to also move you into higher and higher challenge missions/planets. Which is rough for like one or two missions until you get a mech of the next size, which immediately let's you get more.

I think also the mission where you get the Highlander is kind of poorly designed personally. You get to use powerful mechs with strong pilots and rare weapons. That's fine and pretty fun as a "this is what your Lance could be", especially since the first half is just tanks, mediums, and lights that you get to poo poo all over.
However, they add a second half to the mission that breaks the curve and is kind of lame from a story point imo.
From a balance standpoint, it's extremely easy to repeatedly knock down the enemy assaults that show up or else wise getting 2/3. I personally got a full Awesome and 2/3 of a Zeus. Meaning I had half of a Lance of Assaults immediately with zero cost to my merry band.

Story wise, I think the villain openly letting you run would've made him more threatening.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Groetgaffel posted:

Would it be possible to have higher weight classes require more salvaged parts to assemble than lighter mechs?

This is something we've talked about before, and I just brought it up with Mitch again last week. So: stay tuned?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Honestly I can’t not play with four salvage per mech at this point. It’s the perfect sweet spot where even a perfect cockpit shot doesn’t give you a free mech that mission, so you have to encounter one again. It slows down your progression enough that even late game getting a new mech feels significant.

isildur
May 31, 2000

In career mode, I play with 5 parts, and unequipped 'Mechs. Not having to match the progression of the story campaign makes it possible to slow down and actually enjoy the game's mechanics.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Progression isn't the problem, the problem is that (pre expansion at least) assaults are not fun. If you weren't progressing away from the peak-fun stage of the game people wouldn't worry about it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

isildur posted:

In career mode, I play with 5 parts, and unequipped 'Mechs. Not having to match the progression of the story campaign makes it possible to slow down and actually enjoy the game's mechanics.

Yeah, as much as I am enjoying the campaign and story. I'm really looking forward to doing this and maybe grabbing/doing some other modifications.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Nasgate posted:

Yeah, as much as I am enjoying the campaign and story. I'm really looking forward to doing this and maybe grabbing/doing some other modifications.

For me I have to add the basic panic system, seeing pilots eject when they get scared really cool - and pilots having a chance to punchout makes them being so aggressive a little easier to stomach.

To tie into that, I also like the mechwarrior fatigue mod, it forces you to have more than just an A team of pilots, as everyone needs to rest after a drop. You can use them when they are tired but they will have reduced stats.

Also Amechwarrior's AI mod is a huge change, though I will wait and see how things look after the patch before I look it out.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Phrosphor posted:

For me I have to add the basic panic system, seeing pilots eject when they get scared really cool - and pilots having a chance to punchout makes them being so aggressive a little easier to stomach.

I tried that mod out and it caused the game to hang, is there a new fork somewhere that's compatible with 1.2?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Klyith posted:

I tried that mod out and it caused the game to hang, is there a new fork somewhere that's compatible with 1.2?

I remember skimming some chat about that bug on one of the discords, you got the new ModTek/BTML from the guy who's picked it up once mpstark went dark?

https://github.com/janxious/ModTek
https://github.com/janxious/BattleTechModLoader

It was something about new BTML or ModTek and the fairly stale Basic Panic not working together or something. Not sure if the Basic Panic guy is till working on stuff or if someone will fork from his once 1.3 hits. Basic Panic itself forked from mpstark's Punchin' Out. Such is modding...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Amechwarrior posted:

I remember skimming some chat about that bug on one of the discords, you got the new ModTek/BTML from the guy who's picked it up once mpstark went dark?

https://github.com/janxious/ModTek
https://github.com/janxious/BattleTechModLoader

It was something about new BTML or ModTek and the fairly stale Basic Panic not working together or something. Not sure if the Basic Panic guy is till working on stuff or if someone will fork from his once 1.3 hits. Basic Panic itself forked from mpstark's Punchin' Out.

Yeah I use the janxious btml/mtek. Maybe I'll give it another swing in case it was a temporary incompatibility. At one point my BTML was a bit screwed up so I couldn't update it.

Amechwarrior posted:

Such is modding...

Yup. Especially with stuff that's code and not just custom assets like most mods. One of the most gratifying feelings I've ever had was learning that two successive people had picked up a script I made for X3 and kept it alive for the expansions after I stopped working on it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Klyith posted:

Yup. Especially with stuff that's code and not just custom assets like most mods. One of the most gratifying feelings I've ever had was learning that two successive people had picked up a script I made for X3 and kept it alive for the expansions after I stopped working on it.

Which script was that?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RBA Starblade posted:

Which script was that?

"Rename Ships With Expressions", I went by the same name there.

Wasn't much, but that was the first I got back into coding for fun after I quit compsci in college. God writing scripts in X3 was such a pain in the rear end. (You had to do it inside the game client, and you couldn't just type. Functions had to be inserted using a menu.)

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
getting pumped for Flashpoint but also X4 :ohdear:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Just a heads up, in about 5 hours there will be a Flashpoint Q&A stream on the Paradox twitch channel.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
How flashy are the points exactly?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Flashpoint? More like Sharepoint

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ditty bout my clitty posted:

How flashy are the points exactly?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Where is this game in the timeline? A news article mentioned two more expansions planned and I'm wondering if one will be the clan invasion.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

spacetoaster posted:

Where is this game in the timeline? A news article mentioned two more expansions planned and I'm wondering if one will be the clan invasion.

3025, and it generally sounds like the clan invasion is not happening until Battletech 2. the later expansions might focus on the 4th succession war, and some of the new tech that comes out pre-clans?

VVV HBS dev VVV

isildur posted:

We're so focused on how we want to move towards Clans and how we want to handle the Clan invasion that we really haven't had the energy to even consider things past that. and honestly until we decide how to handle the 4th succession war, we're not even talking about the clans all that much, either.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The good thing about this game having a partnership with PGI is that they have models for the Clans already there, plus isn't MWO hitting the Civil War mechs now too?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Klyith posted:

There isn't, but there is a mod called "Panic System" that basically took "Basic Panic System" and completed it. Its also compatible with the latest version of battletech.
https://github.com/gnivler/PanicSystem

Its also part of the DZ consolidated company commander mod package. Just copy the panic system folder over to your mod directory.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/modpack-dz_consolidated_company_commander.1099514/

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Organ Fiend posted:

There isn't, but there is a mod called "Panic System" that basically took "Basic Panic System" and completed it. Its also compatible with the latest version of battletech.
https://github.com/gnivler/PanicSystem

Crap, I should have known there was another fork. Punchin' Out > Basic Panic System > Panic System. When this one gets neglected, someone make another fork called "Panic! At the Github"

spacetoaster posted:

As Klyith said, don't expect it any time soon. I'd hope for 4SW at the currently "TBD" 3rd expansion at best if not a proper BT2 or possibly as the first installment of a Season 2 expansion pass.

I've pondered how the game could work from the Clan side, bidding replacing the negotiations. But the problem is there is no reason for a Clan side story to have an Argo like base building aspect (unless you also get to be in charge of repressing the planets civilian population, upgraded "reeducation chambers" anyone?) and the easy access to the most powerful equipment is something else you'd have to wrangle with.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive
QnA stream about to start

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Amechwarrior posted:

I've pondered how the game could work from the Clan side, bidding replacing the negotiations. But the problem is there is no reason for a Clan side story to have an Argo like base building aspect (unless you also get to be in charge of repressing the planets civilian population, upgraded "reeducation chambers" anyone?) and the easy access to the most powerful equipment is something else you'd have to wrangle with.

Greetings, Star Colonel. Here is your invasion path to Terra. I'm afraid that to win this bid, I had to bid away your WarShip; instead, you are receiving a stripped-out old one, which you will need to rebuild out of isorla and bondspeople you take during the conquest.

Nah, rehashing the 3050 invasion wouldn't fit BattleTech (2018)'s model, I think. Now, doing Operation Bulldog would be perfect; of COURSE you have a mobile command station; you're loving off to Strana Mechty! OF COURSE you're negotiating for how much salvage you get versus how much supplies you're requisitioning from the Army. OF COURSE you're slowly building up from current IS models to captured Clanner gear onto a lance of 100-ton Omnis. OF COURSE there's story missions in between 'attacks of opportunity' and general filler missions.

Hell, you could tie it right in. "Your Grandfather built a rag tag bunch of misfits into one of the finest Merc companies to come out of the Periphery States, and now here you are, hired on alongside the Eridani Light Horse and other premiere Merc outfits to take that very company right to the Clan's front door. You still have Grandpa's Shadow Hawk on display at HQ, but for this mission, you're starting out with the finest 'Mechs to come out of the FWL factories, and you'll be claiming better along the way."

I'm still kicking myself for accidentally taking that box full of the entire run of pre-Dark Age BT novels to Value Village along with a bunch of other stuff.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Being able to actually play as a Clanner in a modern iteration of a BattleTech game would be refreshing.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

DrPop posted:

Being able to actually play as a Clanner in a modern iteration of a BattleTech game would be refreshing.

This. I came in with MW2 and its extensive Codex and lore included hooked me. Would love to revisit it someday.

TheCenturion posted:

Nah, rehashing the 3050 invasion wouldn't fit BattleTech (2018)'s model, I think. Now, doing Operation Bulldog would be perfect; of COURSE you have a mobile command station; you're loving off to Strana Mechty!

Yea, I think the best fit if you had to plop the game somewhere between 3050-3060 is 3055. Not quite OP Bulldog, as that's well documented, but just after the initial invasion there was a lot of dead house units and merc companies. The perfect place for some rimward periphery merc company with their own independent orbital station to fill a niche of stopping small Clan incursions above the line of truce. You could even use them as a test bed for the kind of mobile HQ/mechcommander force composition that will be used in the coming large operations. You also got the refusal war going on to leave the Clan occupied on in-fighting vs. focusing on this plucky merc company stealing all their toys.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Amechwarrior posted:

Make it so that supply lines are your "base building". Powerful mechs and equipment are available, but they don't have the IS expertise in rebuilding mechs by duct-taping two cored mechs together. The more territory you conquer the longer it takes between sending in an order for 2 new shadow cats and a timberwolf and actually receiving them. Battle salvage isn't really a thing, though you can capture planets with mech garrisons or even better production lines to get local resupply (of inferior IS mechs).

Invert the usual progress curve so that the further you push the front lines, the more often your mech selection is going to be crappy. Of course the IS starts running out of good stuff as well, but they'll still have quality forces defending their key worlds.

Also make pilots into characters that you don't totally control. They're not hirelings, they're clanners who are hungry for promotion. Play up the aspects of the clans where they're their own worst enemies. You occasionally have to fight duels against your own guys. Your job is conquering the IS, but your true ire is for your former best pilot who backstabbed you in the council and got 8 of your planets transferred to his command. Your allies will do heinous poo poo to get a step ahead of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Hmm. You could maybe start the player out as the leader of a dezgra unit (remember, fellow Clanners, we HATE contractions, yes we do) which would explain starting out with poor, by Clan standards, gear, but wouldn't give much of a progression path.

I guess you could just straight-up do a Clan campaign, only instead of negotiating for salvage and C-Bills, you're starting out with top-line gear, and bidding it away in exchange for a) actually getting the mission, b) resupply and upgrades, and c) better future mission opportunities.

It would be hilarious to see your 'Mech Bay with a full compliment of 100 ton Omnimechs, greyed out and labelled 'bid away' until the endgame.