Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

This idea that Amazon is going to be vacuuming up CUNY and Hunter grads to pay them six figures is such bald-faced bullshit.

Mechafunkzilla has issued a correction as of 04:40 on Nov 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This idea that Amazon is going to be vacuuming up CUNY and Hunter grads to pay them six figures is such bald-faced bullshit.

Yeah, it's not like NYU, Columbia, Yale, Princeton, and Harvard are anywhere nearby. Or that the aeroplane has been invented.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is this the most he's ever been in the media or something? I heard complaints that he rarely gets interviewed.
there were twenty times more negative pieces on deblasio in a non-election year for him than there were for cuomo in a re-election campaign that wouldn't be allowed to happen in the vast majority of states, but tyrants and people who want to be tyrants have no skin

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

there were twenty times more negative pieces on deblasio in a non-election year for him than there were for cuomo in a re-election campaign that wouldn't be allowed to happen in the vast majority of states, but tyrants and people who want to be tyrants have no skin

I don't think this actually answers my question. Maybe I should have phrased it "gives interviews"? I would swear people were complaining about lack of access during the election, and here he is on all the shows all of a sudden to promote this Amazon deal.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

okay I think I'm misreading this one

vacancy decontrol says that if an apartment is vacant, the rent can be raised (as in, disregarding previous rent control)

but rent control is a lovely way to solve housing problems to begin with, so shouldn't this be super low on the priority list?

Vacancy decontrol is a mechanism that scumbag landlords use to take properties off of rent control. It incentivized landlords to neglect basic maintenance and care for their properties in hopes of driving tenants out, and encourages a host of harassment and intimidation tactics, as well as more above board strategies like tenant buyouts where large stacks of cash get thrown around. The end result of this is that there is less rent controlled property in the city every time vacancy decontrol is used.

Preservation of existing affordable housing is just as, if not more, important than the creation of new affordable housing.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think this actually answers my question. Maybe I should have phrased it "gives interviews"? I would swear people were complaining about lack of access during the election, and here he is on all the shows all of a sudden to promote this Amazon deal.

Cuomo talks to the press when he wants to talk to the press, on his terms, not theirs. Thats the complaint.

Its not that hes press-shy per se. But he demands control.

There was a period in his first term where he would just call in to Brian Leherers show unannounced and demand a 20 minute interview slot. And generally, it was at a moment when he was enough in the news that they couldnt refuse.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CaptainPsyko posted:

Cuomo talks to the press when he wants to talk to the press, on his terms, not theirs. Thats the complaint.

Its not that hes press-shy per se. But he demands control.

There was a period in his first term where he would just call in to Brian Leherers show unannounced and demand a 20 minute interview slot. And generally, it was at a moment when he was enough in the news that they couldnt refuse.

I see. Thanks!

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

CaptainPsyko posted:

Vacancy decontrol is a mechanism that scumbag landlords use to take properties off of rent control. It incentivized landlords to neglect basic maintenance and care for their properties in hopes of driving tenants out, and encourages a host of harassment and intimidation tactics, as well as more above board strategies like tenant buyouts where large stacks of cash get thrown around. The end result of this is that there is less rent controlled property in the city every time vacancy decontrol is used.

Preservation of existing affordable housing is just as, if not more, important than the creation of new affordable housing.

Yeah 100% this. This is happening in my building right now. Any time a tenant vacates, management guts the apartment and replaces everything with the most overpriced bullshit they can find. For example: a bathroom sink with an electromagnetic hand sensor. Who needs that?

A portion of every dollar they spend on 'improvements' gets applied as a rent increase on the unit in perpetuity. There's also no accountability in this. The owner can claim they spent $1,000 dollars on a new toilet seat, and increase the rent by $100/mo or whatever. There's no tenant to fight back, so the owners claim is unchallenged.

In my building, they're now using 'major capital improvements' to increase the rent. It's similar to above, but applies to the entire building. They claim to have spent ~$700,000 replacing an elevator, a boiler, and repointing the front brickwork. Again, they are incentivized to spend (or claim to have spent) as much as possible, because the cost is entirely passed on to tenants. Even after tenants have paid for these improvements (basic maintenance really), their rent is permanently increased.

I'm more pissed off about it than usual. The owner risks nothing. They're guaranteed to be fully paid back by law, and I'm sure they get a loan for the up front costs. So the end result is a bank gets paid, the owner gets paid, tenants get hosed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/JimmyVielkind/status/1064899274377445377

He mad.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

he wants to say "fake news" so badly I can smell it

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's the same dumbass arguement you see sports use to justify building a multi-billion dollar new stadium and also demanding tax write-offs at the same time just like what Amazon is doing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CaptainPsyko posted:

i was on rent control and there was a leak in the bathroom one day. i come home and my tile floor is just gone, nobody told me anything. they replaced it with an uneven hack job that collected water in pools and gave me a sink out of the dumpster with big chunks missing from the basin.
they were so happy i left. i saw the super at the coffee shop and he said now the apartment is renting for double after renovations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

They spelled "belie" wrong holy poo poo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/gracerauh/status/1064967092766687233

Everything is coming up shitheads.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Double posting because news:

https://twitter.com/NoIDCNY/status/1065488079031595008

I wasn't expecting the IDC to literally start dying off.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
holy poo poo!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
lol gently caress him, sold out his constituents for 12.5k a year

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

They might want to change their background.

Then again, they might not. :shrug:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

that's not what i meant when i said "end their careers"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They might want to change their background.

Then again, they might not. :shrug:

Update: they changed the background. Lots of replies to this tweet blaming them for his death. :psyduck:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I said Jose Peralta Retire Bitch not Jose Peralta Die Bitch

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CaptainPsyko posted:

I said Jose Peralta Retire Bitch not Jose Peralta Die Bitch

It's criminal to actually apply any pressure on a politician or run against them, how dare you!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ocasio please primary Schumer

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Lawman 0 posted:

Ocasio please primary Schumer

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Finally a story out, not clear what it was yet, wife says it started out with what looked like an ear infection. They're going to do an autopsy to confirm.

hosed up that NoIDC is now resorting to biological weapons.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Absurd Alhazred posted:

a very hearty lmao sorry not sorry

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gunshow Poophole posted:

a very hearty lmao sorry not sorry

That's a bit gauche. Just because his politics were poo poo doesn't mean he deserves to die so young.

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/pearlsNY/status/1065009038931501056

They're scared.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
a few days old but this does not make me feel great about voting for DSA to endorse him

https://twitter.com/andrewhgross/status/1064686529174478848?s=21

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Barry Convex posted:

a few days old but this does not make me feel great about voting for DSA to endorse him

https://twitter.com/andrewhgross/status/1064686529174478848?s=21

https://twitter.com/JumaaneWilliams/status/1065443021188157441

https://twitter.com/swoleshevik/status/1065484829490376709

https://twitter.com/JumaaneWilliams/status/1065573433357029382

:shrug:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this isn't talked about a lot because it's a touchy subject and rightfully so, but it needs to be said: the big unions in NY are useless as hell because they're more concerned about currying favor with incumbent politics- both Democrat and Republican- instead of expanding the labor fight and lending their muscle to a wide variety of issues. case in point: 32BJ and the head of the Building and Construction Trades Council both support Amazon HQ2 move. at the same time, 32BJ and CWA want to have a statewide public election financing system, so they're not all bad, but they should be a lot better

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

this isn't talked about a lot because it's a touchy subject and rightfully so, but it needs to be said: the big unions in NY are useless as hell because they're more concerned about currying favor with incumbent politics- both Democrat and Republican- instead of expanding the labor fight and lending their muscle to a wide variety of issues. case in point: 32BJ and the head of the Building and Construction Trades Council both support Amazon HQ2 move. at the same time, 32BJ and CWA want to have a statewide public election financing system, so they're not all bad, but they should be a lot better

This might be a relevant cross-post here, then:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Maybe if big unions want to add more locals, they should stop making sweetheart deals with employers:After UAWs betrayal, Graduate Workers must vote no

tl;dr UAW cut a deal with Columbia behind the student organizers` backs which included a no-strike clause.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

more fuel for the "NY unions are worthless" fire

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
how do we get rid of cy vance

just hope he dies?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i was hoping he'd get caught criming

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
They're also going for the NY Health Act.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

lessthankyle posted:

They're also going for the NY Health Act.

ugh that is the dumbest poo poo ever, do they not realize that if you wiped out the cost of employer provided health insurance they could immediately go to bargain for that money (or at least a huge chunk of it) as wage increases, without any detriment to their members? I swear to loving god if my union comes out against this I am going to spend every single day screaming at my union president about what a dumb useless gently caress he is.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/errollouis/status/1068303761897082880

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

how do we get rid of cy vance

just hope he dies?
marc fliedner ran for DA in brooklyn a couple of years ago, and after the primary he moved to manhattan and spearheaded a write-in campaign for himself since vance was unopposed. i've got to imagine that he's going to be running formally at the next opportunity. he's good, i've met him several times and his record shows he's legit. keep an eye out for him

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
We can pray he gets caught up in this revisiting of the Epstein cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Double-posting for bump:

https://twitter.com/NY1/status/1069753149362180097

How is this legal?