Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

I suppose no news means no knuckles controllers for another few months at the very least.

If it makes any difference at least on the dev side Knuckles are moving. There are over a thousand out in the wild and people are starting to make custom games/customizations to current games already.

The devs with knuckles don't know anything more about when/how they will release than anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Would you guys recommend this? The reviews I've read seem decent. I don't have a VR headset and I've been waiting for something in my price range. I mainly just want to screw around in some VR games on Steam.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I'm really enjoying echo combat. I never got into arena but combat is a lot of fun. There is something about that locomotion system that is just so natural and physical. The change to 4v4 has made a big difference from the beta in terms of keeping the action up. Its well worth checking out imo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ShadowHawk posted:

I suppose no news means no knuckles controllers for another few months at the very least.

Stick100 posted:

If it makes any difference at least on the dev side Knuckles are moving. There are over a thousand out in the wild and people are starting to make custom games/customizations to current games already.

The devs with knuckles don't know anything more about when/how they will release than anyone else.

The development community only just (relatively speaking) got the EV3's. The news is the existing devkits are being worked to death by a couple thousand developers stress-testing the poo poo out of them with everyday use to see if the EV2's flaws have been fixed, and to make sure none of the changes have broken anything that wasn't before. There was almost zero chance of them coming out before early 2019, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a release date around the June/July mark.

Especially if that leaked headset is any further along.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ACValiant posted:

Would you guys recommend this? The reviews I've read seem decent. I don't have a VR headset and I've been waiting for something in my price range. I mainly just want to screw around in some VR games on Steam.

The new Odyssey+ is out and is probably "the" WMR headset to get. It's the one that's $300 for Black Friday (down from MSRP of $500) and that's the one you want. It has an anti-SDE filter and inbuilt Bluetooth for slightly improved controller tracking.

I head bad things about its comfort, but I give it a month until several third party VR face covers are released.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1437424-REG/samsung_xe800zba_hc1us_hmd_odyssey_windows_mixed.html

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/s...xkfynblws9fp300 (In-Store only)

I would bet Microsoft will have other WMR headsets for cheaper, probably in the $150-200 range. I bought my Lenovo Explorer last November, so I've officially had it for a year. I would recommend it at the $150-200 price point easily.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The Alien Isolation VR mod was updated again, and now supports the Touch controllers. It's very basic support and is functionally similar to a gamepad (no 1:1 hand mapping and such), but it's a first step. If/when the dev adds the ability to crouch by physically crouching, I'll give it a serious go. It's hard for me to play a VR game where crouching is on a button. I'm fine with that in Hitman and such, but that muscle memory slips away as soon as I put on a headset.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

'll give it a serious go. It's hard for me to play a VR game where crouching is on a button. I'm fine with that in Hitman and such, but that muscle memory slips away as soon as I put on a headset.

Would drive me totally nuts. Thank you for that. Its one of those games I really wanna play but If something like that exists now It'll sour me on it forever.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mashed_penguin posted:

I'm really enjoying echo combat. I never got into arena but combat is a lot of fun. There is something about that locomotion system that is just so natural and physical. The change to 4v4 has made a big difference from the beta in terms of keeping the action up. Its well worth checking out imo.

It's super good. What put it over the top for me is the new map, Dyson. I liked the other maps alright, but they felt pretty straightforward to me and a lot of the games felt a little samey. Dyson is half super open and half narrow tunnels and you get a lot of games where you'll switch loadouts mid match to adapt to what the other team is doing. It's incredibly fun and allows you to play to your strengths no matter what loadout or playstyle you like.

I sincerely believe that Dyson could be Echo Combat's Blood Gulch or dust2. If you haven't checked it out yet you're really missing out. It's free to try out the movement and guns to see if you like it and the game is only $10.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I love dyson, but holy goddamn gently caress do I hate the other capture point map. Something about the point layout seems to make it 100% impossible to recover the point once the enemy team bunkers down. Every single match I've played on that map has ended in 2-0 with one team almost never capping the point at all.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Lemming posted:

It's super good. What put it over the top for me is the new map, Dyson. I liked the other maps alright, but they felt pretty straightforward to me and a lot of the games felt a little samey. Dyson is half super open and half narrow tunnels and you get a lot of games where you'll switch loadouts mid match to adapt to what the other team is doing. It's incredibly fun and allows you to play to your strengths no matter what loadout or playstyle you like.

I sincerely believe that Dyson could be Echo Combat's Blood Gulch or dust2. If you haven't checked it out yet you're really missing out. It's free to try out the movement and guns to see if you like it and the game is only $10.

Dyson is my fave map out of the ones in there so far for sure. The contrast between open space and closed is really cool. Ran into a bug in payload a couple of times last night where the payload got stuck and the game just had to time out.

I really like how echo vr handles the social aspect with the post match float around and gg / shittalk. People generally seem to be pretty chill so far :shobon:.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Should I buy a used car or the new Star VR headset?

https://mrtv.co/2018/11/starvr-one-developer-edition-to-be-priced-at-3200-available-in-35-countries-from-now/

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

I'd get the car, the Star VR only has a 2m cable. The Vive has 5m + 1m in the link box, therefore, is 3 times better.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buy 53 Monoculus Rifts

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mashed_penguin posted:

Dyson is my fave map out of the ones in there so far for sure. The contrast between open space and closed is really cool. Ran into a bug in payload a couple of times last night where the payload got stuck and the game just had to time out.

I really like how echo vr handles the social aspect with the post match float around and gg / shittalk. People generally seem to be pretty chill so far :shobon:.

Yeah I think it's got the best community in VR at the moment. The devs are very responsive to people trolling or being assholes if you report them, and the amount of interaction you get in the game and in the lobby means that it feels very present and to some degree I think it helps tamp down peoples' worse impulses.

That payload bug is really annoying though lol I hope they fix it soon, that and balance around the stun field. It's waaaay too good at the moment.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I bought a Lenovo Explorer with controllers on Ebay for $130 right before they were sold out. Now I need to figure out how to upgrade to Windows 10 soon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a way to make the wmr inside out tracking Rift/Vive level accurate? I dont want to be hitting the recenter hmd button constantly

Like can I set up some Wii style LED bars or something for it to focus on?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a way to make the wmr inside out tracking Rift/Vice level accurate? I dont want to be hitting the recenter hmd button constantly

Nope. It has no external frame of reference like the Oculus and Vive, so what you get is what you get.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
That said, I've never had to recenter mine. Wmr is great, only issue is that you can't put the controller close to your face.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a way to make the wmr inside out tracking Rift/Vive level accurate? I dont want to be hitting the recenter hmd button constantly

Not as accurate as Rift or Vive, but environment has a huge impact on tracking quality. Use it in a well and evenly lit room, avoid bare walls, works best in a room with lots of furniture and wall detail for it to track. Pretty tempermental but at its best it can be fairly solid, at least better than PSVR.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nope. It has no external frame of reference like the Oculus and Vive, so what you get is what you get.

Yes it does, it uses the cameras to track the actual space you're in, and it works fine unless you're trapped in a deep, dark well. I've never had to recenter anything in the year I've had it. The controllers are a whole other thing, and no they're not nearly as good, but they're not terrible either.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Yeah, WMR's head tracking was only a problem for me if I was crouching and looking at the floor, like in a room escape game or something. Otherwise, the head tracking was just fine, including when sitting at my desk (cockpit and racing sims).

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Is there any good 360 movie player that's come out lately? I'm still using Deo, but I'd like something that lets me organize or sort videos as well.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The only one I've tried is Whirligig with some of those 360 music videos, and it seemed to work alright but it just has your directories and such and not much of a UI. I only had like 3 videos so it wasn't an issue, but if you had a bunch I could see it not being ideal. Where do you guys even get these movies? Are any of them actually good our do they all just feel like a warped panorama video, because that's all it seemed like in that U2 video and the other 2 random ones I tried.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Were vive/oculus dev versions much more expensive than the CVS?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Surprise Giraffe posted:

No, DK2 was like 350 bucks so half the price of CV. Ballpark my rear end.

The StarVR is just way higher-end though I doubt that price is really reflecting the BOM cost at all.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Surprise Giraffe posted:

As far as I can recall neither Vive nor Oculus ever charged money for dev versions that were comparable to the CVs. The Oculus dev kits that they did sell were so far below spec compared to the release models that it doesn't make sense to compare their prices.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NRVNQSR posted:

As far as I can recall neither Vive nor Oculus ever charged money for dev versions that were comparable to the CVs. The Oculus dev kits that they did sell were so far below spec compared to the release models that it doesn't make sense to compare their prices.

Did Valve charge for the Knuckles dev kits? The general articles on it seem to suggest that developers just signed up and got sent them as they were available.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

mobby_6kl posted:

The StarVR is just way higher-end though I doubt that price is really reflecting the BOM cost at all.

I can't see valve charging that much. Maybe it will all get a bit more reasonable next year.

By the way there's now giant killer worms in vox machinae, at least on the lava level. I didn't get to hang out with one much yesterday, gonna try this pm

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 20, 2018

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
VR Megathread: Hangin' Out With Giant Killer Worms

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Is there any good vr dungeon crawlers? I really want a legend of grimrock vr port.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did Valve charge for the Knuckles dev kits? The general articles on it seem to suggest that developers just signed up and got sent them as they were available.

Yes, devs signed up got sent them free. If anyone is developing VR I'd suggest you go sign up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Harminoff posted:

Is there any good vr dungeon crawlers? I really want a legend of grimrock vr port.

i don't understand how this isn't a thing yet. a VR version of grimrock that adapts to your playspace size as long as you have 2.5x2.5m would be pretty amazing

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

RotW Chat: How many sets of traps are there for the Bolt Action guy? I've done 4 sets so far. Also is there any tips on how to set them? I tend to stand near the hinge and try and lower both sides at the same time, but they'll keep snapping shut and attracting sosigs.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Their reps at siggraph were pretty adamant that they are only targeting industrial and installation customers. The price is probably set specifically to discourage consumers from buying it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

JayKay posted:

RotW Chat: How many sets of traps are there for the Bolt Action guy? I've done 4 sets so far. Also is there any tips on how to set them? I tend to stand near the hinge and try and lower both sides at the same time, but they'll keep snapping shut and attracting sosigs.

I think there are only 4. The last case he has should spawn an AWM - at least, that's the last case of his that I have, and I haven't seen any other sets of traps.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Harminoff posted:

Crystal Rift is a VR Grimrock-like. I've not played it myself, but unfortunately I remember it's early reception being not good.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

mashed_penguin posted:

Their reps at siggraph were pretty adamant that they are only targeting industrial and installation customers. The price is probably set specifically to discourage consumers from buying it.

$3400 is probably close to what it costs. Bill of Material is only a part of the cost. When you make a hundred of an item it costs far more to make each one then when you make 100 thousand.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Harminoff posted:

Mage's Tale is a straight up crawler and is really good. When I found a secret in a secret in a secret I was won over completely.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Protocol7 posted:

I think there are only 4. The last case he has should spawn an AWM - at least, that's the last case of his that I have, and I haven't seen any other sets of traps.

I wonder if that 4th box is a permanent AWM as that's what spawned in mine too.

I found a good way to cheese meat cores: Go to the Missile Silo bar, complete his quest (it's easy), and then attract a bunch of sosisgs by firing out a window. The path they take to the bar is narrow and makes an easy killing funnel. It's a great setup since the unlock is a shotgun and you have the ammo station right inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I have been playing The Well on the Go lately, and its a pretty great RPG done by the same studio as Left 4 Dead. I think I am near the end of it though. Would be neat if they did a roguelike out of it to add more gameplay.

Hoping more stuff comes out like that when the Quest gets launched. At least all the titles I have been buying on sale have been less than $10