Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Act 3 animation is having a back and forth right now for revisions. Looking at Q3 2019 at the moment?

Jhonen is sweet. I once interrupted his meeting to tell him there was a rainbow outside and we all immediately went up to the roof to see it. He also smiles at every dog he sees.

A good fellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Jhonen is sweet. I once interrupted his meeting to tell him there was a rainbow outside and we all immediately went up to the roof to see it. He also smiles at every dog he sees.

I audibly gasped at this. I seriously want to meet this man, he sounds like the type of person who would just bring happiness to everyone ever.

I met Marty Grabstein, the voice of Courage the Cowardly Dog, at a convention last year. He was amazingly nice and talked with me for a good 10-20 minutes about random stuff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Das Boo is living my dream. :allears:

Edit is Eric Truehart involves at all? Or is he just focusing on the comics?

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 19, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I am confused about Butch Hartman going to the trouble of setting up this whole crowdfunding swindle; if he wants to create some sort of Christian Netflix, why not just pitch the idea to the likes of Pure Flix? He's generally a respected animator with a fairly successful track record, they're a Christian production company with resources to support him and backers who, I imagine, would probably like to be in the streaming business, and they seem to share each others' values. Then again, maybe he did try that and they just weren't interested.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, Jhonen Vasquez is a really good dude by all appearances, which was half the point of my post- you really wouldn't think the loving Johnny the Homicidal Maniac guy would be one of the best people there. Not only is he that, but a huge proportion of the people behind their much safer shows are staggeringly awful.

Also, regarding Butch Hartman, he seems to think that he needs to trick people in order to convert them. Because he is a crazy, awful pile of poo poo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Also, I saw a fair bit of Danny Phantom and Fairly Odd Parents when I was younger and I don't recall it being explicitly Christian-themed in the way he seems now to be claiming it always was, so I'm not sure where that came from.

Maybe there was an episode of the former I never saw where Danny realised even his ghost powers would never be enough unless he accepted the Holy Ghost.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Robindaybird posted:

Catscratch had TenNapel who is currently writing for Breitbart (a far-right "News" site that barely covered up their Swastikas for the non-Americans), which was a shock given I did like Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood.

I enjoyed his book Creature Tech, although it's got a little Christian theme in it near the end that felt slightly weird and out of place. I note his Wiki page doesn't cover anything past 2013, which is usually a good indication of sanitising.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, Jhonen Vasquez is a really good dude by all appearances, which was half the point of my post- you really wouldn't think the loving Johnny the Homicidal Maniac guy would be one of the best people there. Not only is he that, but a huge proportion of the people behind their much safer shows are staggeringly awful.

Also, regarding Butch Hartman, he seems to think that he needs to trick people in order to convert them. Because he is a crazy, awful pile of poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09nq4RFqiT8&t=51s

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

CelticPredator posted:

Das Boo is living my dream. :allears:

Edit is Eric Truehart involves at all? Or is he just focusing on the comics?

He's doing the comics but I'm told he's a solid dude. Aaron Alexovich was on though, and he is a dear, sweet man with a dear, sweet wife.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Righto. I wasn't contending, just confirming. :)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I am confused about Butch Hartman going to the trouble of setting up this whole crowdfunding swindle; if he wants to create some sort of Christian Netflix, why not just pitch the idea to the likes of Pure Flix? He's generally a respected animator with a fairly successful track record, they're a Christian production company with resources to support him and backers who, I imagine, would probably like to be in the streaming business, and they seem to share each others' values. Then again, maybe he did try that and they just weren't interested.

It's the Bethel church where they think they can only get their Seven Mountains by deceit and trickery - Bethel/Daystar are loving scary people trying to subvert everything into their weird brand of Christianity (and because they know most people reject the hatred and extremism they espouse)

Wheat Loaf posted:

Also, I saw a fair bit of Danny Phantom and Fairly Odd Parents when I was younger and I don't recall it being explicitly Christian-themed in the way he seems now to be claiming it always was, so I'm not sure where that came from.

Maybe there was an episode of the former I never saw where Danny realised even his ghost powers would never be enough unless he accepted the Holy Ghost.

he gone hardcore born again in the latter parts of FOP and Danny Phantom - thus why the ghosts got retconned to being extra-dimensional aliens.

Thankfully he was not the main showrunner by that time so who knows what other crazy ideas he proposed that got vetoed.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
To be honest, I don't really get why people describe Hartman's crowdfunding campaign as a trick? It went on and on about "family values", which is like the loudest dogwhistle imaginable for "right-wing fundie Christian". I really hope that it fails and Hartman never gets to make it, because we don't need any more of that poo poo in the world, especially aimed at kids - but I have a hard time picturing anyone falling for the initial crowdfunding pitch who isn't either incredibly unobservant or just an outright chud.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Not everyone is familiar with the dog-whistles, and his initial hype made it sound like it'd be more like FOP and DP which as mention are far from fundie Christian as you can picture.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/rickastley/status/1064918795611971584

I dunno, I kind of find the Rick Astley stuff with this movie kind of... endearing? I think the way they incorporated this song into the trailer music for the first trailer was really cool.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Rick Astley's bemused and accepting response to rickrolling is significantly funnier than the concept itself.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIpDqAbji1w

Chris Pratt voices a new character

This looks silly, I'm down

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Macaluso posted:

I love the first movie, hope this one is great too, but I'm not really feeling much from the trailer.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

starkebn posted:

I love the first movie, hope this one is great too, but I'm not really feeling much from the trailer.

It feels like they're both too cocky now and too set in their ways to be the same every time like their games.

You'd think the failure of Lego Ninjago would have curbed their cockiness of "everyone will see it no matter what".

Though people still pay full price for Lego games so maybe things fundamentally being the same as every other movie they've done is totally fine?

Speaking of fundamentally the same: I haven't seen the movie yet but apparently the villain in Ralph Breaks the Internet is yet another "good guy is actually the bad guy" thing....which, as someone pointed out on Reddit, this has been done by WDAS and Pixar for the last nine movies.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

ThermoPhysical posted:

It feels like they're both too cocky now and too set in their ways to be the same every time like their games.

You'd think the failure of Lego Ninjago would have curbed their cockiness of "everyone will see it no matter what".

Though people still pay full price for Lego games so maybe things fundamentally being the same as every other movie they've done is totally fine?

Speaking of fundamentally the same: I haven't seen the movie yet but apparently the villain in Ralph Breaks the Internet is yet another "good guy is actually the bad guy" thing....which, as someone pointed out on Reddit, this has been done by WDAS and Pixar for the last nine movies.

Just watched Ralph Wrecks the Internet (thanks, early release theaters) and I mean, it's true in a way, but it's a lot more complicated than how that makes it seem.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Is it the Blue Lady.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ThermoPhysical posted:

Though people still pay full price for Lego games so maybe things fundamentally being the same as every other movie they've done is totally fine?[/spoiler]

i dunno, from what I can tell it looks like the message of the movie is similar but not the same, because the first one's dynamic was a father learning to let his son play beyond the instructions, and now this one is probably gonna be the son learning that he and his sister are playing the same way even if the trappings are different. like the whole bullshit divide between "girl toys" and "boy toys".

which is ironic because it's really only the past few years that Lego as a company has bit really hard on making toys aimed primarily at girls that are literally incompatible with "regular" legos to an extent because the mini figures are different.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Das Boo posted:

Is it the Blue Lady.

It's Ralph and it's not even a twist. He's a bad friend and it escalates. It's nothing like the now-standard third act bad guy twist. I just finished; I actually enjoyed it and thought it had a good character arc for Ralph and Vanellope, but it DID feel like a big commercial. Also it was kind of silly that the whole movie felt like a setup to make the real heroes at the end the Disney Princesses all teaming up and combining their powers in a scene that I would really like to happen in Kingdom Hearts but it never will.

Edit: the final postcredits scene just played, after all the credits and... well I don't know what else I expected

Argue fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 21, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macaluso posted:

Emmet is best when he's just not even able to acknowledge any of this grimdark poo poo.

Also, it'd be much funnier to answer the weird and relatable definition of 'I'm your worst nightmare' with "...yes, yes I am."

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/11...CMi23zeovNkhZkU

This article posits animated films have great storytelling due to their story boarding, giving them an edge on liv action. Maybe I’m just a bit cynical toward the general safeness of animated film but I don’t think that their stories are that exceptional. Maybe the stories are very well constructed within the safe confines they have to play in, but those limitations hold it back.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
"Why do so many animated films have great stories?"

That's a hell of a premise to just let coast.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ccs posted:

This article posits animated films have great storytelling due to their story boarding, giving them an edge on liv action. Maybe I’m just a bit cynical toward the general safeness of animated film but I don’t think that their stories are that exceptional. Maybe the stories are very well constructed within the safe confines they have to play in, but those limitations hold it back.

I don't agree about storytelling, but animated films have a huge edge on live action in that it can go beyond the limits live action is capable of. Look at something like Penguins of Madagascar where they have action setpieces that are just bonkers compared to live action action movies. Like live action movies do big panning shots all the time where the camera never cuts away, but I haven't seen a movie do it the way Penguins did the scene where they are falling from airplane to airplane

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ccs posted:

Animated films CAN tell stories other formats can't.

I don't know if I'd say they often leverage that fact effectively.

Fantasia? Yes. Nocturna? Yes. Sita Sings the Blues? Yes. The Good Dinosaur? No.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
This kind of relates back to Smallfoot, with the problem being how its nominally exceptional dealing with ideological concepts is undermined by the fact that the systems that produce it are so systemized and reductive.

The fact is that very few people actually find themselves praising the story, that is the narrative, of animated films; in the same way that, as far as storyboarding goes, they also very rarely actually do anything to clarify why the visualization of narrative is well executed. We are reduced to talking about these films in terms of pure concepts, with this implied child somehow being positively influenced by them. Of course, the child is imagined. The adult - the filmmaker, the spectator, the critic - has made them up as an obvious projection of themselves.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Sita Sings the Blues?

God that opening sequence to Sita Sings the Blues was beautiful

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's a double-edged sword, further evidenced by the fact that live-action movies are half CGI now anyway. Having fewer limitations often hurts the product.

To that end, one thing you could still argue is that having to keep things relatively simple "for the kids" is a limitation that often results in better storytelling.

More to the point actually expressed within the article, it does seem like lots of live-action movies these days have tons of rewrites/reshoots resulting in a big pile of footage that gets chopped up in the editing room into something that may or may not be coherent. That is indeed a lot less likely to happen in an animated film. Even though CGI may be relatively "easier" than traditional, re-animating a scene is still drastically more difficult than reshooting one.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

This kind of relates back to Smallfoot, with the problem being how its nominally exceptional dealing with ideological concepts is undermined by the fact that the systems that produce it are so systemized and reductive.

This is ok to me because it wears its metaphor so openly and isn't asking for you to figure out "what it's talking about" as part of the challenge. Step one isn't "what's Smallfoot REALLY about?" Smallfoot is like, "here's a movie about religion. now figure out what we're saying about it."

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Senior Scarybagels posted:

God that opening sequence to Sita Sings the Blues was beautiful

Nina Paleys new film is screening at film festivals at the moment

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wikipedia posted:

In 2015, when Paley posted her views about trans-women such as Caitlyn Jenner, some of her friends called her "transphobic". This prompted Paley to read about trans-exclusionary radical feminism (TERF), and to realize that she was a "gender-critical radical feminist" who argues against the social constructs that lead to a pattern of male violence.[51][52][53]

Nina Paley... is actually very bad

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Her works are great from a stylistic and thought-provoking view point, but everything else about her (views on copyright and religion) kind of reeks of self-importance.

I kind of get the intent behind her 'copying is not stealing' but it still irks me.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 21, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

drat yeah these are bad opinions
http://blog.ninapaley.com/2017/03/23/the-banality-of-stupid/

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That is a TERF, jesus christ, why are TERFs so awful.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Pick posted:

This is ok to me because it wears its metaphor so openly and isn't asking for you to figure out "what it's talking about" as part of the challenge. Step one isn't "what's Smallfoot REALLY about?" Smallfoot is like, "here's a movie about religion. now figure out what we're saying about it."

That's the thing, though. The crisis of modern American animation isn't that it's lacking in being didactic and straightforward. It's precisely in the thinking that didacticism will somehow resolve this problem of the ability to engage with, as you put it, the "real" meaning of the movie. It's like what Orson Scott Card, a very bad man personally, but an astute critic of allegory in science fiction, would say about metaphor and allegory: The brazenness of a "message" only reveals what you wish to be its value, which is inherently disingenuous. Values are best revealed, and thus engaged with, when authors are simply trying to write about superficial content with which they are interested.

The "real" meaning of something is not a "subtext" that exists beneath the surface, and that therefore can be resolved simply by being heavily expository and didactic. The meaning(s), rather, are all these things that exist right at the surface, that are apparent to potentially anyone who is looking. The trend of American animation to being a cinema of socially progressive moral concepts is self-subversive because it is inherently preconditioned to treating the activity of looking as an undesirable checkpoint.

So, with Smallfoot as an example, there's the most obvious problem where the didactic meaning of the film - that one should challenge reactionary values while refusing to disown identities that have potentially depended upon those values for very rational reasons - leaves exposed through its unremarkably hyperactive comedic context, a conspicuous affirmation of an inherently reactionary symbolic order that simply isn't coded as "fringe" ideology. So the irony becomes that this nation of the oppressed is criticized more for its rational hostility to symbolic "progress" that is associated with their historical oppressors, than the historical oppressors are criticized for any particular reason besides certain individuals lacking "integrity" or whatever. You see the same problem in Home, where the story of imperialism is resolved with an intergalactic, multicultural dance party.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Smallfoot is about why Jetfuel Cant Melt Steel Beams

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Man why do creators have ruin stuff that I enjoy of theirs.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I saw Ralph 1 and thought it was merely okay, but Sugar Rush as a setting was pretty boring and I walked out pretty mellow about it.

For some reason despite that I kinda wanna see 2, and trying not to mouse over spoilers here. Would anyway say the setting is more interesting or the plot? I tried to watch a couple trailers but I genuinely still don't know what the plot is even supposed to be unless it's just Ralph walking around going "haha that's twitter" "wow neat that's a candy crush" and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Genuinely did not enjoy Ralph 2 despite loving the first. All of the heart from the first movie just seems sucked out and it's a listless, boring film. The new characters add next to nothing. The best addition was likely Spamley and the conceit of the dark web, but he gets maybe 5 minutes of screen time.