Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (21f) brother (17m) is hearing voices telling him to kill himself. We’re both unsure if he should go to a counselor while on my moms insurance, as she may find out because he’s still a minor. My family is not good with sensitive information.

My brother is 17, he'll be 18 in a few months.

This week I found out he’s been hearing voices telling him to kill himself. This is all completely out of left field. I knew he was a little down lately but WOW. I want him to get help, obviously, but if he goes to a counselor now I’m worried it’ll just get worse for him.

When I lived at home I was suicidal and depressed. I was hospitalized for it once at the age of 15. My mom often tells people about the situation pinning herself as the victim. To this day she still talks about it.

My dad doesn’t believe in mental illness as he never experienced it himself. He thinks crazy people just want attention and need prayer for their egos. He thinks suicidal people are just sad and blowing it up.

They’re both big members in the church, and although they allowed me to be medicated, they also made me use a heavy dose of prayer and essential oils. If I didn’t regularly exercise and show interest in a social life we’d have long painful talks where it was a 50/50 chance they’d be yelling for three hours or praying. I’d cry every time and they’d assume it was either me rebelling or the “demons leaving me”.

Because my brothers issues are so much more severe, I’m really worried how it will pan out in their house if they find out :( on the one hand, they’ve mellowed out a lot ever since I had my son. But on the other hand they’re still pretty heavily religious and anti-mental illness.

I don’t want to make him wait 3 months, so I’m looking into affordable counseling to try and help him with. But if there’s a way he can go under my parents insurance without my mom being able to request his medical info, that’d be much better. He could tell them on his own terms or not tell them at all. I want it to be his decision, not my moms.

So in the state of Louisiana and the age of 17, what are his rights in regards to his mental health? He’s hearing voices telling him to kill himself. He doesn’t WANT to die, but he did attempt it once. He didn’t like it and stopped, but it still happened.

Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My parents are trying to kidnap my child.

I mean, there is only really one way to be sure they'll never try this again but you might not see your kid for 25 years to life.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My cousin got bitten by a suspected rabid cat. His parents refused to have him vaccinated. He might die.

What can I do? Can I secretly have him vaccinated? I told his parents he might die but they said vaccines aren't safe and it was just a 'little bite' (The wound bleed for like 5 minutes). I didn't even know that they were anti-vaxxers. We live in a country where rabies is common. Located at the Philippines.

SuddenExpire
Jun 29, 2005

expired...

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My cousin got bitten by a suspected rabid cat. His parents refused to have him vaccinated. He might die.

What can I do? Can I secretly have him vaccinated? I told his parents he might die but they said vaccines aren't safe and it was just a 'little bite' (The wound bleed for like 5 minutes). I didn't even know that they were anti-vaxxers. We live in a country where rabies is common. Located at the Philippines.

RIP that cousin, if you don't get it within a few days of exposure it's too late.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Not to mention cat bites are far worse than dog bites with regards to infection and disease. Any medical professional would tell you to get it examined ASAP.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

dudeness posted:

I mean, there is only really one way to be sure they'll never try this again but you might not see your kid for 25 years to life.

he hasn't grown a spine by now so he definitely won't do that

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
what’s learned helplessness precious

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (21f) brother (17m) is hearing voices telling him to kill himself. We’re both unsure if he should go to a counselor while on my moms insurance, as she may find out because he’s still a minor. My family is not good with sensitive information.

Tell him he's mistaken and the voices are actually telling him to kill his parents

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My parents are trying to kidnap my child.

This may be confusing but my parents are trying to illegally, legally take my child. (This is in Oklahoma)

My parents are trying to take our daughter from a perfectly healthy and safe family and I just don't know what to do. Any advice would be great.

I'd refer them to that 'estraged parents forums' link shared earlier in this thread (https://www.issendai.com/psychology/estrangement/) and tell them "Here you go, this should explain everything"

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I find the recent sad stories a lot more interesting than the Red Dead stories, just saying. Although the parents not believing in mental illness is pretty rough. :smith: hope that dude gets some help soon.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My god, get him a vaccine course or get him poison. Rabies in humans is nightmarish and no one should have to go through with it.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

They’re both big members in the church, and although they allowed me to be medicated, they also made me use a heavy dose of prayer and essential oils.

Religion and mental illness don't mix. I have a cousin who had a few psychotic episodes and the parents didn't even come to see him until it got so bad they couldn't ignore it anymore. They don't believe in mental illness, so they also blamed my dad's suicide on my mom for not making him happier.

I will be so happy when depression is quantifiable so you can point out your bad chemical balance and say "loving there!". People believe any other organ can malfunction, but when you say it's your brain you just need to smile more.

I also wish there was a drug you could make people who don't believe in depression take to simulate its effects.

And I'm going to need some honey packets for those chicken fingers, thank you.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SuddenExpire posted:

RIP that cousin, if you don't get it within a few days of exposure it's too late.

Any time before symptoms set in is good. It can be weeks sometimes.
The earlier the better, but don't assume it's too late unless they're actually hydrophobic.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Prank gone wrong (Michigan)

quote:

We were out on a school retreat this weekend. Everyone in this story is 18 if that's relevant.

My buddy has long hair that he wanted to cut. He's been growing it out for a while and it's basically his signature. As a prank, we decided to come up behind him and cut his hair off and make everyone think he wasn't in on it.

He was wearing a blue flannel and so was a girl on the trip. I cut the wrog person's hair. I realized as soon as I closed the scissors, but a chunk of hair was gone right up to her scalp, probably about a foot and a half long.

She cried a lot, but when she parted her hair on the side you couldn't tell. She went to a fancy salon and got it fixed with extensions or something and apparently it cost like $200 even though you could barely see the difference when she parted her hair.

Today I heard from a lot of people at school that her parents made a police report and that she's going to sue me for almost $1k. Can they really do this!? How much trouble will I get in? I'd be willing to pay for her initial haircut (even though it apparently cost like $200 which seems outrageous) but I think she's being ridiculous. She looks fine and honestly she'd look cute if she just cut it all off anyway. Should I get a lawyer?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Haifisch posted:

I love the torturous, elaborate, completely idiotic explanation for why he’d sneak up behind someone and gently caress up their hair :allears:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's nothing wrong with being old money you weenie

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also symptomatic rabies is almost entirely fatal, even with the Milwaukie protocol

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
Lol at not being able to tell the difference between two people wearing the same shirt. Motherfucker must think Target is a bunch of clones.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

She looks fine and honestly she'd look cute if she just cut it all off anyway.
Oh well ok then :rolleyes:

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
those prankers are wimps too. like, what they wanted to happen was exactly what did happen, they cut someone's hair and they freaked out. they are just such extraordinary wusses that they set it up so that they could pretend that was happening, but actually there's no way it can go wrong, so I'm extremely gratified that their little escape hatch failed miserably. they wanted the social cred and alluring mystique of bad boys but they didn't commit

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pick posted:

same, i write letters of recommendation for like anyone i know who isn't a jackass

Would you write one for me?

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Beachcomber posted:

I guess you guys aren't familiar with Maremma Sheepdog

I want a podcast that does follow up stories on threads like this

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Biplane posted:

Would you write one for me?

Sure

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

JHomer722 posted:

I want a podcast that does follow up stories on threads like this

Same. Pro-click but I need a better ending.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pick posted:

There’s almost certainly a lot wrong with being old money but probably for different reasons than the relationships askers are thinking of

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Pick posted:

Old money is scum

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Peachfart posted:

Old money is scum

100% inheritance tax to prevent Old Money NOW!!!

Sounds like being an heir is detrimental to one's mental health, so we'd be doing them all a favor.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Can't iso-quote it, but the honey packet chicken fingers line cracked me up

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Depressio111117 posted:

There’s a followup thread in the archives and the last hint of this situation IIRC was her asking a local pet forum (non SA) about Mareema rescues in her country. If it was the same person as the SA OP, she literally had it for a few weeks before getting rid of it lmao.

Pup was tied to a tree in the yard and ignored, as everyone thought would happen. It then, being a hardcore sheepdog breed who needs a job, thought his job was to protect the tree and got nasty with anyone who came near it. I hope the poor boy found a farm to live out his destiny on and the OP never got a pet again.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Depressio111117 posted:

https://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/165357-my-maremma-puppy/

this doesn't give me much hope it worked out okay

edit: lmao jesus

value-brand cereal posted:

Fishy fishy: I wanna get a maremma Sheep dog
Pet Island: Do not do the thing
fishy fishy: I also have an autistic preteen + his cat and a preemie baby and I'm getting a maremma sheep dog
Pet Island: this is the worst idea and here's why. I'm an experienced sheep dog owner of XX years trust me.
fishy fishy: ugh why aren't any of you being helpful
Pet Island: this dog will eat your cat, preemie baby, and autistic 12 yo child in that order
fishy fishy: says nothing because she's abandoned the thread
Pet Island: hey this person popped up on other sites saying the maremma sheep dog she just got is displaying dangerous behavior to her autistic 12 yo.......... huh.

Edit: the follow up: http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/forums/showthread.php?293116-How-to-find-a-farm

"He is a maremma sheep dog! He is so beautiful and cuddley but he has started guarding me! :shocked face: When my children are around, he used to love them, now he is starting to see them as threats! :shocked face:"

Edit 2: " Our Dog. Kirby. Kirby is a Maremma sheepdog and is HUGE! We had a problem with him for a while with the kids but we got that all sorted out. He is always roaming our yard making sure everything is AOK before coming inside. When he is inside he just lays still and DD is usually all over him. DS has dubbed him "sit, sit, sit." Whenever DS says it, Kirby walks up and lays down in front of DS. " from here, posted a few months later. She still has the dog and no one is dead. Pet Island success story?

JHomer722 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 21, 2018

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

Also symptomatic rabies is almost entirely fatal, even with the Milwaukie protocol

Do we even know if the protocol does anything and that one girl wasn’t just a crazy fluke?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

JHomer722 posted:

Notice no mention of the cat or tree :ghost:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

fruit BOO!ts posted:

Do we even know if the protocol does anything and that one girl wasn’t just a crazy fluke?

They've found it has like a 1-in-10 success rate. Honestly a 10% chance of living seems like it would be worth trying on all cases. At the very least it could be an interesting experiment with brain science.

Like who the gently caress is like "Yeah, got an animal bite, just gonna let that fester" anyway.

E: it's a better chance than people have for surviving most cancers, and we still treat cancer.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 21, 2018

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
There's a segment on NPR, I think what they were basically saying was that if a person survives rabies from the Milwaukee Protocol then that person was going to survive regardless and it all actually has to do with previous exposure or something.

edit: Here it is if anyone is curious https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/312245-rodney-versus-death

dudeness fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 21, 2018

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Peachfart posted:

Old money is scum

Unless it's yours.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Well poo poo: https://pandorareport.org/2014/05/01/no-rabies-treatment-after-all-failure-of-the-milwaukee-protocol/

That and you can't just do a blood test and see if it's actually rabies the girl had. They'll never even know of it was that or some other virus or disorder.

Yeah so if you look like you have rabies you're hosed.

E: god this sent me down the Google rabbit hole where I discovered parents that didn't get their bat-bitten son the vaccination because he didn't like shots. Neither parent was so much as accused of neglect when their kid died wtf.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 21, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
rabies is one of the few diseases people aren't afraid of ENOUGH

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Haifisch posted:

(even though it apparently cost like $200 which seems outrageous)
This was the best part of this story for me, he just has no concept of how much things cost. Every prank story is better than the last.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Scathach posted:

E: it's a better chance than people have for surviving most cancers, and we still treat cancer.

that's not really how it works. cancer survival is not binary, IE yes you survived or sorry you're dead. It's measured across groups of people with the same disease by looking at the percent still alive at a given time out from diagnosis (one year, five years, ten, etc). I guarantee you the survival curve for literally any cancer you can name is better than rabies.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

This was the best part of this story for me, he just has no concept of how much things cost. Every prank story is better than the last.

I kinda get this, if you’re a guy it’s easy not to realize how much of a loving ripoff being a woman is, especially if you don’t grow up with siblings who go in for fancy hair poo poo. $200 for me is like... multiple years worth of haircuts, even in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

JHomer722 posted:

man if only we were as socially down on people who shouldn't be having children