Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No joke I would love if Indigo Chapters started selling Gunpla up here in Canada. We already sell weird lifestyle poo poo in what is ostensibly a bookstore chain, might as well throw some model kits in there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Gripweed posted:

There's also the issue of where do they expand? Their partnership with Rightstuf is working at a pretty good clip towards getting all Gundam series on bluray in America. And there's a ton of Gundam available on the Gundamofficial Youtube channel. It seems like most comic shops sell Gundam models, and Barnes and Noble carries Gundam models at most of their locations. I'd certainly like to see Barnes and Noble carry a wider range of Gundam models, but I assume that mainly up to Barnes and Noble, not Bandai.

The real criticism I have is how few Gundam manga series get US releases. Since Tokyopop collapsed there's only been three Gundam manga released here. But I think maybe the blame for that lies at least a little on me, I didn't buy the Origin manga because they were thirty dollars a volume.

Bandai itself actually released most, if not all of the 00 related manga (and novels, even) until they went under, so it wasn't just Tokyopop.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I still have the original tokypop GW manga releases except for G-Unit in a box at my grandparents. Childhood memories.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Kind of off topic, but I wonder how pissed off Bandai got at Hasbro buying Power Rangers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmTJT0zvOcY stream is starting

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This is the most depressing cover of Tobe Gundam I've ever heard.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

-reconguista movie, origin ova tv cut in 2019
-3 part hathaway's flash movie adap

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1065105799356116992?s=19

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Apologies in advance, Hathaway.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Is the G-Reco movie a sequel movie or a recut of the show?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Because a TV recut of Unicorn worked so well. The only positive of the Origin TV recut will be if it drums up enough interest for Sunrise to take the plunge for a full Origin tv series.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I mean it's not like it costs literally anything but timeslots. It's fairly normal for theatrical anime projects afaik, to varying degrees of success. Yamato 2199 also has both an ova and tv cut

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Whatever the Build series is, at least it'll be something new. Bandai aren't shy about announcing sequel series and Divers just tanked by the end with how tepid it was.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I mean Divers was already "something new"

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

TV cut of Origin also means a new cycle of interest for Origin based gunpla, which I'm all for.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

-reconguista movie, origin ova tv cut in 2019

I'm excite

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Motto posted:

Yeah Divers was an entirely unique thing rather than a sequel or spinoff and that didn't stop it from being blander than plain water.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Motto posted:

Bandai wasn't at all coy about the other announcements, and if they want marketing hype then they know they need to at least name it if the brand exists already. A new Build series being teased means that Build Divers is very dead as a potential franchise.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bandai wasn't at all coy about the other announcements, and if they want marketing hype then they know they need to at least name it if the brand exists already. A new Build series being teased means that Build Divers is very dead as a potential franchise.

I'm not going to be sure until we put a stake in the heart, cut off the head, fill its mouth with garlic, sew it shut, and immolate the whole thing. They showed too much of in the presentation to feel properly safe.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I dropped off after the third or so episode of Build Divers. All I remember was Tequila Gundam hauling a coffin around. Did it do anything bad beyond just being boring?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ManSedan posted:

I dropped off after the third or so episode of Build Divers. All I remember was Tequila Gundam hauling a coffin around. Did it do anything bad beyond just being boring?

It didn't really go anywhere. The protagonist never really developed a personality to speak of beyond the barest minimum "likes gunpla fighting and his friends" and the show continually decided to focus on big sweeping plotlines about THE FATE OF THE GUNPLA MMO instead of deciding to focus on more episodic fun stuff. For a show introduced with the premise of team gunpla battling, there were like three or four total team gunpla battles in the show, and one of them was in the prologue.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Pureauthor posted:

In an interview Tomino has said that the G-Reco movie would be the definitive real deal version of the story. But, y'know, Tomino.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

EthanSteele posted:

In an interview Tomino has said that the G-Reco movie would be the definitive real deal version of the story. But, y'know, Tomino.
It's OK, Tomino doesn't hate Gundam fandom that much.

I think.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

From Gundam.info:

"The "Gundam Build Series" is "An anime based on moving Gundam plastic model kits", and began with the 2013 TV broadcast of "Gundam Build Fighters".
A sequel work to the April through September 2018 TV broadcast of "Gundam Build Divers" is currently in planning stages. Details will be released on the official website as soon as they are available. Enjoy the next report."

Emphasis mine.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh god no. Why.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
No post disaster material after teasing those shots? Laaaaaaaaaaame.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

With the news of a Build Divers sequel, arguably we are now living in the Post Disaster era.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm concerned that a G-Reco compilation movie will be somewhat jumbled and difficult to follow

Solkanar512 posted:

No post disaster material after teasing those shots? Laaaaaaaaaaame.

there's whatever this is?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Yeah that is my favourite one of the set: https://imgur.com/a/QFTfXIn
Even if it's likely only art for an anniversary event, imagine how crazy that crossover show would be. :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Oh god no. Why.

It literally has to be more interesting than Divers. If it's good, it's good! If it's bad, at least it'll be something other than bland!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Gripweed posted:

I'm concerned that a G-Reco compilation movie will be somewhat jumbled and difficult to follow

In the interview its sort of implied that the reason the tv series isn't the smoothest watch is because it was a film chopped into tv. But, again, Tomino.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Droyer posted:

From Gundam.info:

"The "Gundam Build Series" is "An anime based on moving Gundam plastic model kits", and began with the 2013 TV broadcast of "Gundam Build Fighters".
A sequel work to the April through September 2018 TV broadcast of "Gundam Build Divers" is currently in planning stages. Details will be released on the official website as soon as they are available. Enjoy the next report."

Emphasis mine.

No.

Why?

What could you possibly salvage from a show as boring as paint drying?

Kanos posted:

It literally has to be more interesting than Divers. If it's good, it's good! If it's bad, at least it'll be something other than bland!

I'd like to remind you that literally the only Gundam series that has managed to have a second season surpass the original (and not be generally terrible) was Iron Blooded Orphans.

EthanSteele posted:

In the interview its sort of implied that the reason the tv series isn't the smoothest watch is because it was a film chopped into tv. But, again, Tomino.

If anything the show needed slower pacing. Once it gets off-world, it starts throwing a lot at the audience and needs about 4-5 episodes more scattered throughout the second half to help digest who is doing what, where they are, and what the hell is going on.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 21, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Finally had a chance to watch the actual presentation. The G-Reco movie is introduced as a recut with new footage.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd like to remind you that literally the only Gundam series that has managed to have a second season surpass the original (and not be generally terrible) was Iron Blooded Orphans.

Divers was so mediocre that I'm not convinced they could make the product less compelling. At least an outright terrible show would be memorable.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Gripweed posted:

Nice, a competition to see who is the most psychopathic Gundam pilot is. It's Mika

Also I don't mind the GB releases because the gunpla kits are rather fun to build.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Solkanar512 posted:

Nice, a competition to see who is the most psychopathic Gundam pilot is. It's Mika

Also I don't mind the GB releases because the gunpla kits are rather fun to build.

Build Divers had some good kits for sure, but it also complete ignored what kind of show it was supposed to be; Only about a third of the cast got mid-season upgrades. And even then there's at least one or two that still haven't gotten a kit.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gripweed posted:

According to the presentation, Beyond is just an initiative to increase global and cross-generational awareness of the entire Gundam catalog.

Other than that and explaining the logo they haven't said anything else about it yet.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Zedd posted:

Yeah that is my favourite one of the set: https://imgur.com/a/QFTfXIn
Even if it's likely only art for an anniversary event, imagine how crazy that crossover show would be. :v:

I'd watch all of those crossovers to be honest. The anniversary art with Heero and Kamille reminds me of when Kamille and Four met for whatever reason (possibly related to illness). Kind of surprised there wasn't one that featured SEED though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Only thing I’m really looking forward too is he Hathaway’s flash movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I'd watch all of those crossovers to be honest. The anniversary art with Heero and Kamille reminds me of when Kamille and Four met for whatever reason (possibly related to illness). Kind of surprised there wasn't one that featured SEED though.
I had the impression that, for the longest time (even well into the 10's), it was the most popular Gundam thing ever. Maybe even Japanese Gundam fans got sick of it? :shrug: