Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Square
May 14, 2009

Powershift posted:

Every once in a while a BBQ joint pops up here and serves dried out ribs with lovely sauce, and then promptly goes out of business.

If i lived in the south i would eat so much barbecue, but then i'd also be surrounded by rednecks and swamp rear end so whatever

Same thing down here in the midwest, none of it's ever good. Myself and my filthy poor apartment dwelling friends have been trying to get one of the two home-owners with a yard of the group to go in on a smoker so we can have delicious BBQ weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

nm posted:

Nashville was all about the hot chicken for me though.

I had never heard of "hot chicken" before this weekend and right now I'm goddamned mad that it is nowhere near me. I tried Hattie B's and it is absolutely sublime. Beautiful heat while still having a strong fried chicken taste... yummy.

http://hattieb.com/

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

I had never heard of "hot chicken" before this weekend and right now I'm goddamned mad that it is nowhere near me. I tried Hattie B's and it is absolutely sublime. Beautiful heat while still having a strong fried chicken taste... yummy.

http://hattieb.com/

The place we just had breakfast has had a hot chicken sandwich on the menu for about two weeks now. ("Brunch Every Day" is a terrible loving name for a restaurant, by the way. "Let's go to Brunch for breakfast!") It's great -- maybe even better than Southern Cross Kitchen's friend chicken sandwich -- but I can''t speak for the authenticity or anything.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Goober Peas posted:

Hair today, gone tomorrow

Hair today, gone tomorrow: My Quarter Life Crisis

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Elmnt80 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEvxIiNl3rY

Give a gram of pure mdma, some gum, a freezer of icepacks and this game and I'd have a drat good weekend. :catdrugs:

VR fruit ninja lmao

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Oh hey. AB decided to get topical, and put out a neecornbread recipe on Good Eats Reloaded this week.

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/alton-brown/all-corn-cornbread-5500278

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Cool video of the LAFD rescuing some people and their dogs during our recent fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CbWkfCA9tc

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Siochain posted:

Sorry bro, that's not a pot pie :P Fight me :)

Its a pot pie because the pie crust makes its own pot around the fillings. Can be beef, pork or chicken (hell, even saw a clam chowder one once...wasn't ballsy enough to try it though). But the crust has to envelope the fillings so it all cooks in its own juicy awesomeness.

Over here that's just called pie

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Congrats!

Now go find the disasters they hid from you. For my neighbor, it was a cast iron toilet drain pipe that was literally missing a one-foot segment that had somehow been eaten away. Most of the flushed waste fell straight down into the lower segment.

MOST.

In unrelated news, I am excited. https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/11/its-a-fight-against-bubblegum-pastels-in-trailer-for-the-lego-movie-2/

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Keys and an empty bowl....first man to the swingers' party?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Between the THREE inspections I think we've found most of the problems.

Hilariously somebody stole almost all of the firewood that was sitting outside in storage racks. Probably became clear the sale was pending so somebody helped themselves.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Grats Rhyno! My partner and I just bought a 1960s ranch and it’s been pretty cool so far despite a few minor headaches. We had to replace the water heater almost right away since the existing one was from 1975 (!) and we thought we could limp it along for a little while but it started leaking the first night we took occupancy. The shower faucets also leaked but I was able to get complete rebuild kits for them so they were pretty easy to fix. The garage is just a standard two-car but it has a huge basement and a big shed with power in the backyard so there’s a ton of room for hoarding projects. One of the bathrooms needs some tile repair and the back porch has fiberglass roof that’s seen much better days so those will probably be our first non-plumbing DIY jobs.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

People definitely get attached to their culture. I don't understand why people get huffy about this stuff ("If its sweet, its cake!") -- I definitely have some attachment to the foods I grew up with, but it is just so very awesome to live in a metropolitan area with so many different cultures and foods.

Related side-note: What everyone calls pot pie is 100% not what I grew up with as pot pie. Pennsylvania Dutch pot pie isn't meat and vegetables in a crust, it's meat and noodles in a gravy. There appear to be warring factions in this subgroup as well, with some using eggs in the noodles and some not. My family was the latter. This looks close to my grandmother's recipe's final results; she always used ham instead of chicken. On cold winter days, it's the food I miss most from growing up, I think.

I agree, there is something about a consistent food you ate your whole life. Your last comment reminds me of my grandma's pumpkin pie, which we only got for thanksgiving and christmas. For years my sister tried to get the recipe out of her and she always said the same thing - "Oh I just use the recipe on the can". My sister made it from the recipe on the can and was like "yeah grandma's a loving liar." Grandma took her recipe to the grave for some reason, but my sister gets closer every year. That or our memories are fading.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It's a bastardization of a German word (much like the "Dutch" in "Pennsylvania Dutch" itself), and we wouldn't call it "a pot pie," just "pot pie." And I don't care, it's delicious, you should try it. =D Food is great. Try all the food.

Hahah no worries, I'd try it. I eat everything, I loving love food. I'm just going to poke fun at people calling things wrong (and yes, that's subjective, but pretending I don't know that really riles some people up, and I like trolling folks)

fridge corn posted:

Over here that's just called pie

And another wrong answer :P (but in all seriousness, is pie generic for sweet or savoury - aka apple pie and a chicken pie? or do you have some other wordage for a sweet/dessert pie?)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

Between the THREE inspections I think we've found most of the problems.

Hilariously somebody stole almost all of the firewood that was sitting outside in storage racks. Probably became clear the sale was pending so somebody helped themselves.

Maybe the original owner just decided that they wanted to keep most of their wood

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

That's bullshit. Time for some cameras.

Congrats and welcome to the hell of home ownership! Don't worry, a house only has about 12 critical subsystems.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Door Frame posted:

Maybe the original owner just decided that they wanted to keep most of their wood

He's old and frail and moving to the southern part of the state with his son. It's more likely a neighbor realized the house would shortly be sold and jacked the wood.

I'll probably do a silly video walk through of the house tomorrow for yous goons. I gotta run to Lowes and buy a matched lock set for three doors.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Siochain posted:

And another wrong answer :P (but in all seriousness, is pie generic for sweet or savoury - aka apple pie and a chicken pie? or do you have some other wordage for a sweet/dessert pie?)

Pies are generally savoury. We usually get sweet tarts or crumbles rather than pies

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

He's old and frail and moving to the southern part of the state with his son. It's more likely a neighbor realized the house would shortly be sold and jacked the wood.

I'll probably do a silly video walk through of the house tomorrow for yous goons. I gotta run to Lowes and buy a matched lock set for three doors.

Congrats! If you're buying locks, Weiser smartkeys are pretty common now and pretty cool as you can basically key them yourself in the future. Have a guest coming and don't want to give them a house key? Key a lock to their key so they can use it and when they leave key it back to yours. They're kind of neat. Or, of course, keypads are becoming pretty common too.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Lancashire Hot Pot is more like a stew than a pot pie (or pie.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

Congrats! If you're buying locks, Weiser smartkeys are pretty common now and pretty cool as you can basically key them yourself in the future. Have a guest coming and don't want to give them a house key? Key a lock to their key so they can use it and when they leave key it back to yours. They're kind of neat. Or, of course, keypads are becoming pretty common too.

Yeah I gotta do some homework on it. We're also going to do a security system in the near future, I've seen a few integrated ideas. I want cameras covering the exterior doors as well.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

slidebite posted:

The first house we bought had a keypad entry on the front and back doors. After experiencing that insane level of convenience, I don't ever want to go back and fully plan to install such a device on the next place we buy.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Just wait, ADT will probably send you enough junk mail to make up for the lost firewood.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, there is all sorts of poo poo you can do now. Bluetooth locks, wifi so you can open with your phone, same thing with your garage door, it's pretty nuts.

In other news, decided on going the PS4 over Xbox. Just waiting for the black friday deals to start. Unfortunately there is really nothing for the PS4 Pro in :canada: that I can see, so I'm leaning towards buying dad a myself both slims. We don't have 4K TVs and probably won't be buying anything until the next gen comes out, so I'm leaning towards just sticking with the cheaper slim for that reason too.

I might try PS-VR but I'm not sure if the Pro makes enough of a difference to make it worthwhile. From the little bit of research I've done, other than loading times there really isn't much of a benefit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay, tell me everything about locks. We're going to just go ahead and replace the locks on all three external doors. I don't need wifi or bluetooth but keypads are not a bad idea. I assume they install on doors normally and don't require cutting or drilling?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

Yeah, there is all sorts of poo poo you can do now. Bluetooth locks, wifi so you can open with your phone, same thing with your garage door, it's pretty nuts.

In other news, decided on going the PS4 over Xbox. Just waiting for the black friday deals to start. Unfortunately there is really nothing for the PS4 Pro in :canada: that I can see, so I'm leaning towards buying dad a myself both slims. We don't have 4K TVs and probably won't be buying anything until the next gen comes out, so I'm leaning towards just sticking with the cheaper slim for that reason too.

I might try PS-VR but I'm not sure if the Pro makes enough of a difference to make it worthwhile. From the little bit of research I've done, other than loading times there really isn't much of a benefit.

The Pro is a bigly step up from the slims in a lot of ways beyond the 4k textures. I wouldn't buy anything but a Pro or an Xbox One X at this stage.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

Okay, tell me everything about locks. We're going to just go ahead and replace the locks on all three external doors. I don't need wifi or bluetooth but keypads are not a bad idea. I assume they install on doors normally and don't require cutting or drilling?

Yep - nothing special about keypad installs other than if you get one that connects via bluetooth/wifi, connect them *before* you install instead of after. They're honestly one step more difficult than replacing a regular lock.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We want to get the locks done asap for several reasons. All three doors use different keys and the elderly owner was unable to find the keys so there's some worry that there may be copies floating around. We won't have internet service at the house for at least two more weeks so I don't know if the smart lock will be an option. I think the basic keypad is our best bet then.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

We want to get the locks done asap for several reasons. All three doors use different keys and the elderly owner was unable to find the keys so there's some worry that there may be copies floating around. We won't have internet service at the house for at least two more weeks so I don't know if the smart lock will be an option. I think the basic keypad is our best bet then.

Definitely get a basic keypad, at least. I've put in a couple Kwikset keypads and, while they're not very good, they are cheap and easy.

Just knowing you can give someone a code, either your permanent one or a one-time, to get into the house is super convenient. And the batteries last a LOT longer than I thought they would, easily over 18 months out of a set.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Definitely get a basic keypad, at least. I've put in a couple Kwikset keypads and, while they're not very good, they are cheap and easy.

Just knowing you can give someone a code, either your permanent one or a one-time, to get into the house is super convenient. And the batteries last a LOT longer than I thought they would, easily over 18 months out of a set.

I think I might do a basic lock set for the time being and once we're moved in and I'm doing the smart-house stuff I'll look into the connected locks.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seconded on all of the above. It's also great to know that you can't lock yourself out.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Crumbles are the best dessert

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Rhyno posted:

I'd personally go with a cheapo Weiser keypad on your front/main door, and just regular deadbolts for the rest. You can get smartlocks key systems for all of them... it might even be standard now. They make a really inexpensive keypad that doesn't even have a backup key cylinder (in case your batteries die or something) but that might not be a big deal if you have 2 other doors in the house so ymmv. And yeah, it *should* be super easy to do with the caveat that it's not out of the realm of possibility that an existing door might not have a standard cut-out. Measure the hole to be safe (IIRC 2.125" is standard?) or be extra thick/thin, but 99% chance it should be 5 minute procedure to change them.

Ether Frenzy posted:

The Pro is a bigly step up from the slims in a lot of ways beyond the 4k textures. I wouldn't buy anything but a Pro or an Xbox One X at this stage.
Can you advise what the key difference(s) are for regular gaming other than load times for the Pro? Genuinely appreciate it.

e: Found this.
https://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/ps4-pro-vs-ps4-what-s-the-difference-1328341

Yeah, it seems like there are some general overall differences even @ 1080p

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 21, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When I do the walk through you'll see but our rear door is a little...goofy. The patio door won't really benefit from a keypad but the front and side doors will. I've been reading up on smart home shibaz and as I'm not the most tech savvy guy I'm going to opt for semi easy to set up stuff. Most likely Amazon or Google stuff.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Keypads are handy, and I've had homes with them, but I'd just use put one on the outside door you're going to use 99% of the time. My house has 4 outside doors but only 1 of them is pretty much the ONLY one used if I'm not coming in from the garage. In fact, I don't think I've even used a key on 2 of them since we moved in. They're only used when we've already been in the house. Of course, YMMV.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One pad is cheaper but I like the idea of the second pad. Of course the idea of a keypad that unlocks when it recognizes my phone being nearby is also appealing as all heck. We'll see what works best for us I guess.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I played Astro Bot on an acquaintance’s PSVR recently, and was amazed at how well it worked. It was beautiful.
I’d love to get a rig, but just can’t justify $400+ for a complete setup. Maybe next year or Craigslist.
I wish Microsoft would pull their thumbs out and build a headset for the Xbone, since I already have 3 of those. Might even get me to upgrade to the One X.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

freelop posted:

Crumbles are the best dessert

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rhyno posted:

One pad is cheaper but I like the idea of the second pad. Of course the idea of a keypad that unlocks when it recognizes my phone being nearby is also appealing as all heck. We'll see what works best for us I guess.

Also simple deadbolts from a good manufacturer are worth their weight.

With all of these, they are only as good as your doors, door frames and hinges - no point getting a fancy lock if you can shoulder-barge your way in.

• Locked thread