Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I don't have twitter. Is he actually following him now

cenotaph posted:

Even the New Left of that era seemed particularly dumb. They thought the revolution was right around the corner and they could push society over the edge by doing random property damage and layer bombings. Some of them were less dumb but they weren't really building a mass movement with any kind of solidarity.

There were post war periods where some sort of popular revolution might have been possible under the right circumstances. People now are way too atomized and the security state too overwhelming to even imagine it but just because it didn't happen I dont think you can say it's stupid to have thought that it might

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Imagining Mahmoud reading Virgil’s posts New Year’s thanks paired with mspaint erotic Garfield fan art.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

terrorist ambulance posted:

There were post war periods where some sort of popular revolution might have been possible under the right circumstances. People now are way too atomized and the security state too overwhelming to even imagine it but just because it didn't happen I dont think you can say it's stupid to have thought that it might

I'm getting most of this from the relevant chapter in the book Direct Action, so maybe I'm missing some stuff but I think the way the new left went about their organizing was flawed. Sure, we got useful tools like affinity groups, but for instance the Days of Rage didn't seem to have a well thought out purpose and was only supported by African American activists after the protest was underway in the form of shelter from the police because, by the activists own admission, they were tired of getting beaten and figured it was someone else's time to take the baton (to the head). IMO they also suffered from some confirmation bias about how pissed off people really were at the establishment. The majority of Americans polled after the Kent State Massacre felt the shooting was justified which doesn't seem like a particularly sympathetic populace. I don't recall much organizing in conjunction with the gay and lesbian community either, though I may be misremembering that. There is definitely no revolution imminent in modern society but there at least seems to be more coordination between groups with shared interests. Even the idea that you were going to get normies to join your movement by bombing random places seems preposterous.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

terrorist ambulance posted:

Those are some pretty wild follows. Much respect for him following GiGi Buffon. Real recognise real, I guess.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Those are some pretty wild follows. Much respect for him following GiGi Buffon. Real recognise real, I guess.

He follows David Duke lol

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

prefect posted:

Looks like Matt Christman is one of the guests on the new Sitdown w/Mike Recine. Also appearing: Red Scare Anna.

Thanks for mentioning this. I didn’t know this existed. Listened to matt and now an old one with nick Mullen. It’s really fun to listen to authentic nick and not his cum town persona.

Nick is best chapo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

cenotaph posted:

The hippies were not progressive at all, they just didn't like how uptight society was. A lot of them were raging misogynists who would ostracize any woman who wouldn't gently caress whenever they wanted and I remember a story about some of them calling for a feminist speaker to be dragged off of a stage and raped.

Even the New Left of that era seemed particularly dumb. They thought the revolution was right around the corner and they could push society over the edge by doing random property damage and layer bombings. Some of them were less dumb but they weren't really building a mass movement with any kind of solidarity.

Adam Curtis is right.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

The Sitdown without a good guest is dogshit. The cohost who isn't Recine is a charisma void.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I love it when Mike totally shits on the guy (also named Matt) for loving up the recording or whatever. Sounds like someone chastising a dog. It's great.

Unless you're taking about the guy on earlier episodes who believes the mafia is honorable and poo poo like that.

But, yeah, Sitdown is definitely filler-grade podcast unless there's a good guest. The episode with Matt is prolly the best one because he actually knows what he's talking about.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

These activist kids are good and cool.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

GANDHITRON posted:

I love it when Mike totally shits on the guy (also named Matt) for loving up the recording or whatever. Sounds like someone chastising a dog. It's great.

Unless you're taking about the guy on earlier episodes who believes the mafia is honorable and poo poo like that.

But, yeah, Sitdown is definitely filler-grade podcast unless there's a good guest. The episode with Matt is prolly the best one because he actually knows what he's talking about.
The one with Felix talking about Mafia Failsons was good

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
The riff about the Iraqi currency scam guy that Felix did was one of the funniest moments of the show ever.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I ate thanksgiving dinner with the ceo of Otis elevators who I am, as I just learned, related to via marriage.

I spent the after dinner washing up time regaling of this autistic man I knew of by the name of Virgil Texas who spent his time exploring elevators and putting them on YouTube.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Virgil ain't autistic. He's a perfect special man.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I ate thanksgiving dinner with the ceo of Otis elevators who I am, as I just learned, related to via marriage.

I spent the after dinner washing up time regaling of this autistic man I knew of by the name of Virgil Texas who spent his time exploring elevators and putting them on YouTube.

I'm autistic and I'm jealous of you, checks out.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My hospital has a really lovely Otis elevator.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

That bit about the cop chiding him for giving pizza to people in need is wild.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Nothus posted:

The Red Scare ladies are a little bit of professional success away from moving to the burbs and becoming full-on chuds. I can smell their type a mile away.

becoming?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
they should change the name of their podcast to Red Hat Scare

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Red Scares ep that was somewhat about Sarah Jeong was really, really bad

coathat
May 21, 2007

Hmm this turd I’m eating tastes bad?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

coathat posted:

Hmm this turd I’m eating tastes bad?

stop eating my posts

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I for one am shocked that a group of Strasserites have bad takes on a subject involving a person of color.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Didn't Sarah Jeong interview some Chinese tech activist for Vice and then neglect to keep any of her identity secret which then resulted in the Chinese government going out of its way to harass and ruin said activist's livelihood

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Thompsons posted:

Didn't Sarah Jeong interview some Chinese tech activist for Vice and then neglect to keep any of her identity secret which then resulted in the Chinese government going out of its way to harass and ruin said activist's livelihood

https://medium.com/@therealsexycybo...ne-3f4a32fda9b5

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Jeong also went all in on Hillary in the primary then cried about Bernie bro harassment. Which is rich considering what she and vice did to that poor Chinese lady.

She has an account here and used to post in the yospos buttcoin thread so I used to think she was alright until I saw how annoying she is on Twitter.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Thompsons posted:

the people that stalk and harass her or whatever are bad, but she is also bad

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea there's a large amount of people that think she's bad because she's an asian lady who said racism and misogyny exist and those people can eat a fat one but she is also a terrible person who deserves scorn for entirely different things.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

vice is bad #truth

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The only good thing about vice is the Documentary Now! episode Fred Armisen made about them.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The only good thing about vice is the Documentary Now! episode Fred Armisen made about them.

The Onion had a fairly good Vice parody, one was about how hard it is to score good drugs in the Gaza Strip

e: here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHvrirXi5Ds

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 25, 2018

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

T-man posted:

vice is bad #truth

How dumb do you have to be to run off desus and mero

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I really like VICE News Tonight on HBO.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats

Jackie D posted:

How dumb do you have to be to run off desus and mero

I hope desus and mero eventually go on chapo to promote their showtime show

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh look! It's that thing Felix has been working with Bois for years!

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Just finished it, it’s very good!

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

cenotaph posted:

The hippies were not progressive at all, they just didn't like how uptight society was. A lot of them were raging misogynists who would ostracize any woman who wouldn't gently caress whenever they wanted and I remember a story about some of them calling for a feminist speaker to be dragged off of a stage and raped.

yeah, i've heard the 68-era new left in paris in particular described in similar terms, even as being anti-normative rather than necessarily anticapitalist. and disturbingly often into carrying a transgressive, libertine individualism right on into endorsing rape and paedophilia.

e:

TheBigAristotle posted:

The Onion had a fairly good Vice parody, one was about how hard it is to score good drugs in the Gaza Strip

e: here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHvrirXi5Ds

lmao that's something vice actually literally did, far as i can remember. they had a segment ages back where they were just sitting with a bunch of palestinian teenagers taking tramadol and asking them how hard it was to score anything better

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 27, 2018

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Chakan posted:

She never talks about Shaun, but has mentioned the others.

She does mention Shaun (and other left YouTubers) in this interview from earlier this month at about 33:50.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Armack posted:

She does mention Shaun (and other left YouTubers) in this interview from earlier this month at about 33:50.

I should have clarified, I meant my girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I didn't expect the series to start with a history of the origins of MMA. (Which is IMO very good for a half-hour video.) I spent years studying karate, and a recurring theme in most martial arts is myths of the weak overpowering the strong, as if martial arts training is part of some narrative of justice. That falls apart pretty quickly when you look at the backgrounds and lives of famous martial artists. Royce Gracie was positioned as the underdog in the first UFC, but the Gracies were rich kids.

Books about martial arts are, as a rule, really lovely when it comes to real history, and it's common to pass down oral history and even folk tales as truth. I used to hear all about how poor Okinawans used karate to defend themselves against samurai. The truth is that karate as we know it was handed down mostly by the ruling class, and Funakoshi was a fascist who didn't have a change of heart until droves of his students died in WWII.