Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I read a 10-7 strategy that involves bringing Ludwig, keeping him at full health as long as you can, buffing him with whatever you have (including the Guardian's blessing) and then nuking the boss wave with his big attack, hoping to all but take out the mages in one shot. Otherwise Rose will buff them up to where they will pelt the poo poo out of your team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Don't forget to do the goblin challenge too. 50k gold for 5 energy.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

So, I want a good tanks-and-hills game for my phone. Had one ages ago, but forgot it's name and it's probably poo poo now anyway.

I apparently have some "Worms 2" (definitely not the old PC game I remember) game, and all the ads seem to be shilling for something called Tank Stars.

Any goon recommended games I should check out?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

For people looking for a little incremental time waster I found
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=samuelVazquez.randomNumberGod the other day. It's weird in that you have to roll within a certain range of numbers on a d1000 to do damage to the boss. You start with 1 die but you get a deck of cards that give you x more dice or xdice whenever a number ending in y is rolled. It seems fun but I only played the first couple levels this morning

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

inkmoth posted:

I apparently have some "Worms 2" (definitely not the old PC game I remember) game, and all the ads seem to be shilling for something called Tank Stars.

I don't have an answer to your question but did see an ad for this tank game yesterday and had to laugh because whoever made this game (and the ad for it) are clearly from like eastern Europe and the written dialogue between the two tanks was hilariously awful.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

mrkillboy posted:

I haven't checked this one out yet but the other games had optional IAPs for additional, more powerful hero units and ads for the other games by the dev on the title screen.

edit: this one also has gems, which I think might be also in some of the other games but I can't remember.

The gems are easy to earn and they are used to buy helpful items like bombs and whatnot to help you clear any trouble-spots, or you can ignore them altogether.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Len posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=samuelVazquez.randomNumberGod the other day. It's weird in that you have to roll within a certain range of numbers on a d1000 to do damage to the boss. You start with 1 die but you get a deck of cards that give you x more dice or xdice whenever a number ending in y is rolled. It seems fun but I only played the first couple levels this morning

This game is weird and fun, I'm up to level 55 or so (you need 50 to prestige). Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much use for most of the cards due to the limited deck size. Maybe after you prestige and the base level of cards you find goes up?

Once you get the perks that regen HP each round, you just need to invest enough in that and starting HP and you can take heals out of your deck entirely. Then it's just about pumping your first turn dice multiplier high enough that you almost always roll whatever your first card is. Then it's just play cards and combine temporary multipliers with the really big boosts that cost dice. Since you just gradually upgrade the yield of your cards it keeps up with the scaling of the enemies for a long time.]

There COULD be some really cool strategy, like making a deck that's all about 9s and banning other numbers so you scale ludicrously fast, or knocking down the max die size so you hit a huge percentage of the time.... but none of those matter when you just make the numbers bigger and get a quadrillion dice and then win.

Still a fun little game and worth a spin, but it lacks longevity.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Seriously though with these reviews for Kingdom Rush Vengeance why are there so many people saying "Ironhide has done it again!" or something along those lines like they're copy/pasted from a script. I get that the extra purchasable poo poo in game isn't necessary to beat the game but it's still lovely to see.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_cyberweek2018_premium_games

Some decent dollars off, but anyone not using google play bucks at this point?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Cassa posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_cyberweek2018_premium_games

Me, because surveys are a no go here. :(

Actually that link doesn't work for me either, any specific games on it? I picked up FFT and Motorsport Manager 3 on sale when the thread mentioned it...

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Artelier posted:

Me, because surveys are a no go here. :(

Actually that link doesn't work for me either, any specific games on it? I picked up FFT and Motorsport Manager 3 on sale when the thread mentioned it...

Funny, because I was thinking about getting dungeon maker after it game up in here the other day.

I played and liked the Room 1 a while ago, is skipping to the one on sale viable?

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 22, 2018

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

explosivo posted:

Seriously though with these reviews for Kingdom Rush Vengeance why are there so many people saying "Ironhide has done it again!" or something along those lines like they're copy/pasted from a script.

Because they probably are.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

NmareBfly posted:

I played and liked the Room 1 a while ago, is skipping to the one on sale viable?

There is some kind of plot through them, but you won't miss anything.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

First rating, by user 'Jazz': 5 stars

"I haven't played it yet. In fact it's installing right now... I just can't wait to play it. If it's only half as good as the previous installments, it's still worth 5 stars!"

Jesus christ, you shouldn't be able to leave a review until you've played X amount of time. :psyduck:

It might be good, seeing as though all of the rest of them got so much love (I haven't played any of them, because up until right now, I was getting them confused with those awful F2P timer-based builder games. Am I thinking of King's Raid?) but don't loving rate it anything until you've played it. Goddamn, why is this so hard?

Yup, one of my pet hates.

The other is 1 star rating and complaining about the game crashing on their particular model of phone/custom (rooted?) Rom.

I can't imagine the hell that is involved in getting apps running on the majority of Android phones and tablets, but throwing every rom on XDA into the equation would be a fragmentation grenade at a fragmentation party.

I suppose it's getting better to be fair, what with Android One and the like, but even accounting for all the versions of Android makes me shudder at the thought

Godspeed poor Android devs...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Det_no posted:

That's really weird how I meant Destina, wrote Cecilia, and yet you were still able to read it right.

I already have Achates, which is also a great healer, but my problem is that my best team is literally all fire. I'd like to have some of the top tier units from other elements too.

Yea that is interesting how that worked out but we still synced up. Probably because a lot of the names are still new/blending in my head and I'm tired or something.

Either way yep. I am running into the same problem building good teams out of different elements. I am using the Dispatch missions to level up my characters that are <30 at the moment. Seems to work pretty quick when I don't have time to directly play.

Too bad you can't just send them back out through the Notification rather then load up the game to do it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I put about 30 hours into Siralim 3. Here are my thoughts, Siralim 2 is the better game. If you haven't gotten into the series start there.

The third game takes a lot of steps backwards. A lot of your castle's features are straight up removed like the shopping district and the chief. Everything takes longer to unlock. The first 15 hours are basically just a forced slow paced tutorial, it is even worse than the second game. Certain gameplay styles were nerf very hard. The fox family is so weak now they might as well have just been deleted from the game. Same with everyone's buddy crystal smith. Randomized Artifacts have less customization because you can't delete or reroll those attributes. Of has made basically 99% of all my found artifacts useless. Min max breeding is even more of pain because you have to prime monster if you want stat bonuses. Priming requires killing a bunch of monsters, my first monster primed at about 12 hours into the game. It seems faster to prime now so maybe it is related to enemy's levels. Ultimately there isn't much that the third game that has added increased my enjoyment of the game.

There is supposedly more of an end game, but even 10 hours into the end game I haven't unlocked much. You really have to play this game with the Wikipedia up if you want to make any meaningful progress. It is still a good game but I would only play it if you have exhausted the second game.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 22, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

explosivo posted:

Seriously though with these reviews for Kingdom Rush Vengeance why are there so many people saying "Ironhide has done it again!" or something along those lines like they're copy/pasted from a script. I get that the extra purchasable poo poo in game isn't necessary to beat the game but it's still lovely to see.

I mean the games are way more in depth and loaded with content than your average $5 game and I think it's fair to let them have a completely optional way to earn more money. The alternative is making it a $15 game which is a complete kiss of death for mobile, with very very few exceptions.

I've never felt even a little bit of need to buy the OP heroes. You always unlock like 5 heroes from playing the game and like I said heroes in general are completely optional in the first place - you can just not use your hero at all and clear the map with towers alone. And heroes are squishy and die easily.

They're far from an integral part of the game

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Cassa posted:

How's the mobile KOTOR?

Is Amazing Spiderman 2 any good? I liked the Toby McGuire Spiderman 2 on Xbox for the web slinging. This says it's open world. But I'm weary of mobile games.

Last requested review is for the Teen Titans Go game. My 6 year old likes the show, so if there was a game we could both play and not hate that would be cool.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

RodShaft posted:

How's the mobile KOTOR?

Is Amazing Spiderman 2 any good? I liked the Toby McGuire Spiderman 2 on Xbox for the web slinging. This says it's open world. But I'm weary of mobile games.

Last requested review is for the Teen Titans Go game. My 6 year old likes the show, so if there was a game we could both play and not hate that would be cool.

I heard Kotor was decent but playing the airbike stuff without a controller is nightmare. I believe there is only one forced airbike section. I wasn't a big fan of the game's balance in general.

No idea about spiderman.

And if you mean the teeny titans go game, those games are awesome. I beat the first one. The 2nd one is just more of the same but with more features.

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug

Shwqa posted:

I heard Kotor was decent but playing the airbike stuff without a controller is nightmare. I believe there is only one forced airbike section. I wasn't a big fan of the game's balance in general.

This is true. I played through KOTOR in its entirety on my phone a few months back. It works really well on a phone, especially if you're a fan of the game already. The pod racing sections were pretty frustrating to control though. I was able to eventually get first place in all the optional races, but it took several tries, way more than it would have otherwise. The forced race is one of the easier races though, and it's not too difficult to place adequately to advance the story, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting stuck there. Might just take a few tries.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

RodShaft posted:

How's the mobile KOTOR?

I haven't played that particular Teen Titans game but I think it's a sequel and the original I have played and I think it's very similar. If it is like the other game it's a lot of fun and should be fine for a 6 year old. It's basically an even simpler pokemon type thing.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Thank you for the guild admission in Epic Seven.

I'm working on 10-10 now (the Ludwig strategy up the page worked for 10-7, it's just a matter of taking out the swordsman up front before he can get buffed way up), and it's a straight-up boss fight and I'm trying to dope out the strategy. Rumor has it you can cheese the boss out with poison via double Kiris, but mine is like level 5 and would take a while to build up. For now, I've gotten the boss down to about 1/4 health but no further, and I'm impatient to be horribly disappointed by my two Moonlight summons.

EDIT: Beat her (brought a friend Kiris and that was the missing piece) and got my two Moonlight summons, both 3*s. Celeste actually looks interesting, a 3* Light archer with a self-heal and an AoE skill with possible cooldown reduction that can be spammed while her health is over 80%. Sven looks like hot garbage.

delfin fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 23, 2018

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, so I completed the collection in Pixel Puzzle, but if I look at the categories, I have like 89/89, 64/70, etc. Where do these extra ones come from? I did a couple of the free play puzzles but they were just repeats.

pappawurm
Feb 9, 2014
Applied to epic seven as pappawurm

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
XCOM is on sale for $1.99 for those who like FFT's gameplay.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

OhFunny posted:

Will this totally kill my lgg4?

gently caress it, I'll get it anyway and report back if I think of it.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Having played a pile of all the earlier ones, and a few hours of the latest one, I'd say the Kingdom Rush games are all worth the money / time, although they have what I would call a severe case of early type DLC-itis. The sort of game that is completely playable in its base state, but has a bunch of extras hidden behind a paywall. I've played through and replayed the first 3 games a lot without any IAPs, although I also bought the steam versionns which do include all the extras in the full priced game (~$15). The extras do add something, but they are not necessary at any point. I've also avoided using any consumables so far. As far as I can tell, consumable powerups are the only thing you spend gems on. So, not only are free gems easy to get, but you don't even need to spend any of them to play through the first 3 games.

I suspect this all remains true for Vengeance as well.
I am enjoying the changes they've made in some of the play mechanics. A wider list of towers to use, with the ability to choose 5 towers to use on the map, and the new upgrade system are great. In another welcome development, Vengeance also seems more difficult than the previous entries.
I mashed "BUY NOW" the instant the notification popped up. I also figured it was worthwhile to buy the dlc on "sale" this time around too. Haven't tried out the dlc heros, but I think I have a new fav in the zombie graveyard.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy gently caress, Civ Rev 2 went from $12.99 (CAD) down to about $2.59 (CAD). I know it's not 'deep Civ', but I loved the first Civ Rev on both DS and 360, and I had the spare google bucks.

I'm thinking that if I could get enjoyment out of a civilization game on the freakin' DS of all systems, I should be good to go with this one.

:toot:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

hooah posted:

Ok, so I completed the collection in Pixel Puzzle, but if I look at the categories, I have like 89/89, 64/70, etc. Where do these extra ones come from? I did a couple of the free play puzzles but they were just repeats.

I am at 100% now too and I think the other ones are going to just come randomly when doing the free play. I don't really mind doing a bunch of them again because it is not like I am going to remember that I already did this one and this is the pattern.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

B33rChiller posted:

Having played a pile of all the earlier ones, and a few hours of the latest one, I'd say the Kingdom Rush games are all worth the money / time, although they have what I would call a severe case of early type DLC-itis. The sort of game that is completely playable in its base state, but has a bunch of extras hidden behind a paywall. I've played through and replayed the first 3 games a lot without any IAPs, although I also bought the steam versionns which do include all the extras in the full priced game (~$15). The extras do add something, but they are not necessary at any point. I've also avoided using any consumables so far. As far as I can tell, consumable powerups are the only thing you spend gems on. So, not only are free gems easy to get, but you don't even need to spend any of them to play through the first 3 games.

I am enjoying the changes they've made in some of the play mechanics. A wider list of towers to use, with the ability to choose 5 towers to use on the map, and the new upgrade system are great. In another welcome development, Vengeance also seems more difficult than the previous entries.
I mashed "BUY NOW" the instant the notification popped up. I also figured it was worthwhile to buy the dlc on "sale" this time around too. Haven't tried out the dlc heros, but I think I have a new fav in the zombie graveyard.

Yeah I went ahead and picked up the hero and towers pack, I figure they'll be fun to toy with since I play the hell out of these games trying to get every star. Plus I really don't mind supporting the developer. Tower defense games (quality ones) sort of died out but Iron Hide still puts these out.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

B33rChiller posted:

There is one difference with Vengeance. It's shorter, like a full 1/4 shorter than the other games. Which is honestly what's been frustrating me. I prefer paying for a game than dealing with F2P shenanigans and I was mostly okay with special heroes being a bonus you could buy. But the addition of the Tower buys means Vengeance has less content, more littered with IAP, and more expensive than any other Kingdom Rush game has been at release. I don't really regret buying it, but no one should be happy with the direction Ironhide is taking the series right now if it continues.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anyone feel like setting their phone on fire?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.studio.ps2.WiiUemulatorProject

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nessin posted:

There is one difference with Vengeance. It's shorter, like a full 1/4 shorter than the other games. Which is honestly what's been frustrating me. I prefer paying for a game than dealing with F2P shenanigans and I was mostly okay with special heroes being a bonus you could buy. But the addition of the Tower buys means Vengeance has less content, more littered with IAP, and more expensive than any other Kingdom Rush game has been at release. I don't really regret buying it, but no one should be happy with the direction Ironhide is taking the series right now if it continues.

It has less levels? That's a shame because I thought it was being touted as the biggest entry yet. It's been like 4 years since Origins and I know they did that Starcraft type game in the meantime but that's still disappointing

Then again I've never even beaten all the postgame maps in any entry so :v:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

So it's called the Wii Emulator project and the description says 'Wii games', but the games displayed are for the Wii U and the icon is a Wii U.

It just may not be the most legit app.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Len posted:

For a simple game this sure is fun. I can see it losing it shine after a while but I will keep it on my phone as it is easy to just play a little if you want.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

How is the mobile FFT port?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Luminaflare posted:

Surprisingly well done.

It's the re-release with extra touchscreen controls, it plays really well.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

Super good but the menu is a bit touchy until you get it down.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 23, 2018

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

precision posted:

It has less levels? That's a shame because I thought it was being touted as the biggest entry yet. It's been like 4 years since Origins and I know they did that Starcraft type game in the meantime but that's still disappointing

Then again I've never even beaten all the postgame maps in any entry so :v:

Fingers crossed that it's like the other games, where additional levels and endless levels came later. As far as I understood, all the other games only came with the main campaign levels at launch, with bonus mini campaigns being patched in at a later date. Nothing I've seen, apart from the possible exception of paid towers, seems out ofthe usual MO for ironhide.

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah I went ahead and picked up the hero and towers pack, I figure they'll be fun to toy with since I play the hell out of these games trying to get every star. Plus I really don't mind supporting the developer. Tower defense games (quality ones) sort of died out but Iron Hide still puts these out.

:same:

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

OhFunny posted:

This is a really good port once you figure out the bizarre way they handle height with touch control