Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Saladin Rising posted:

loving ouch:
https://twitter.com/SkillUpYT/status/1065310925136191488
"We're not reviewing Fallout 76 because it's so bad that we don't even want to play it anymore." Well that's a review in and of itself, I guess.

Are reviewers really expected to put like 60+ hours into every game they review :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Saladin Rising posted:

loving ouch:
"We're not reviewing Fallout 76 because it's so bad that we don't even want to play it anymore." Well that's a review in and of itself, I guess.

Jeff going off like that on the podcast is a bit odd considering Brad, sitting right next to him, had already said a few times he wants to keep playing it???

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Saladin Rising posted:

loving ouch:

heft girthmann just wanted the fallout76.exe to open up WoW or something

Wolfsheim posted:

Are reviewers really expected to put like 60+ hours into every game they review :psyduck:

Dude they get death threats if they admit they didn't finish a game

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Also, he is reviewing the game and he's 30 hours in currently.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

It's kinda weird to see this much of a vitriolic backlash to reviewers calling the broken game bad because man, there have been a lot of lovely broken Fallout games. It kinda comes with the territory.

I realize most of those games came out before a lot of these kids could walk but you'd think if they were such super fans that they accuse reviewers of a conspiracy to bring down the vault boy or whatever they would have gone back to at least dabble in the barely-patched isometric games of yore.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wolfsheim posted:

It's kinda weird to see this much of a vitriolic backlash to reviewers calling the broken game bad because man, there have been a lot of lovely broken Fallout games. It kinda comes with the territory.

yup modders have had to fix fallout games for a long time

but f1/2 are playable without both the official and unofficial patches, the patches made the games easier

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

if you enjoy playing the game, why would you get upset that other people don't like it?

taking it a step further, you can have fun with the game and recognize that it isn't well made.

Liking games is my identity, buddy. My brand!

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Zelder posted:

GameFucker69 has logged on

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I think it's encouraging we have critics that actually criticize. This scenario reminds me of film critique where you'll have a critically panned film that some audiences will enjoy. Overall thats a good healthy sign this isn't the same industry it was 10 years ago.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Jeff Gerstmann is a griefer who also posts on NMA. His username on there is Pipboyluvr76.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zelder posted:

IM HAVING FUN

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Donovan Trip posted:

I think it's encouraging we have critics that actually criticize. This scenario reminds me of film critique where you'll have a critically panned film that some audiences will enjoy. Overall thats a good healthy sign this isn't the same industry it was 10 years ago.

well, i agree, but it's better when they criticize things I don't like. when they criticize something i enjoy, it's clearly because they are biased!!!

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I realize most of those games came out before a lot of these kids could walk but you'd think if they were such super fans that they accuse reviewers of a conspiracy to bring down the vault boy or whatever they would have gone back to at least dabble in the barely-patched isometric games of yore.

Starting to think that maybe between the majority of players who are leaving negative reviews on metacritic and a bunch of review sites that generally lob softball reviews and handwave the general bugginess of Bethesda games, this game might not be good. Wonder if constantly pushing the paid mods front made people turn on Bethesda so their "charming" shortcomings are actually seen as flaws now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The game is already 1/3 of the way to free to play on XBL.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Saladin Rising posted:

loving ouch:

Holy gently caress, that's one of the most vicious reviews I've ever seen.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Nichael posted:

Holy gently caress, that's one of the most vicious reviews I've ever seen.

Yeah, I mean what possible motivation could this guy who is actually reviewing the game have for posting this, oh, other than the huge stream of follows he says he's getting....

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Make the game F2P Bethesda

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pararoid posted:

Yeah, I mean what possible motivation could this guy who is actually reviewing the game have for posting this, oh, other than the huge stream of follows he says he's getting....

Yea that's it.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Pararoid posted:

my god.... youve blown the case wide open....

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

follow the follows everyone..... the trail is right there

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

Jeff going off like that on the podcast is a bit odd considering Brad, sitting right next to him, had already said a few times he wants to keep playing it???

That would require Brad to play a video game

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
brad opinions dont count thats established lore

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Remember when you are told to follow the freedom trail to find the railroad and them the password to their super secret base is literally just railroad

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

Remember when you are told to follow the freedom trail to find the railroad and them the password to their super secret base is literally just railroad

holy poo poo, spoilers

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

I think FO4 had a lot of lovely design choices, but it kept me occupied for a long time. I even kind of liked the main story, and Nick is one of my favorite RPG companion characters. The good parts of 4 overshadowed the shittier parts--like the fact that base construction was ultimately meaningless, and a lot of gameplay was repetitive.

76 is all of the lovely design choices of 4 with none of the good things. You would think that in a game like this which is centered on bases, they would've added more content to that system and made it more meaningful, but they didn't even bother to do that. I'm glad reviewers are actually acknowledging these flaws, and how soulless this game seems.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

And they're shocked you cracked the code.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nichael posted:

I think FO4 had a lot of lovely design choices, but it kept me occupied for a long time. I even kind of liked the main story, and Nick is one of my favorite RPG companion characters. The good parts of 4 overshadowed the shittier parts--like the fact that base construction was ultimately meaningless, and a lot of gameplay was repetitive.

76 is all of the lovely design choices of 4 with none of the good things. You would think that in a game like this which is centered on bases, they would've added more content to that system and made it more meaningful, but they didn't even bother to do that. I'm glad reviewers are actually acknowledging these flaws, and how soulless this game seems.

Actually some people are having fun so have you considered that they are just idiots???

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

Actually some people are having fun so have you considered that they are just idiots???

They're paid off by their stream viewers or something.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah this was insanely dumb the password should have been something constructed out of context clues you notice along the trail. At least.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

COMRADES posted:

Yeah this was insanely dumb the password should have been something constructed out of context clues you notice along the trail. At least.

its called a railroad and it has a line leading right to it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Its kinda fitting that this game is coming out almost exactly a year after Battlefronts 2.

Though that might be unfair because I think that game was at least finished?? But I bet there was a similar contingent of "I don't care about all the negative press because swinging a lightsaber is fun you non-fun-having idiots!!" die hard star wars fans getting real angry at every reviewer so it still works.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Oh! So you can get Skyrim physicsed to death in Fallout 4. That explains that incident with the exploding car a couple nights ago where I was well outside the explosion radius but, in retrospect, not outside the physics fling radius of the actual car.

Improvements I've seen in 76 that I hope some enterprising modder can backport:
  • crafting level-linked versions of basic weapons and armor
  • "learning mods" for a given weapon or armor type by scrapping them
  • the return of the condition meter as a slight but functional junk sink, and a duration timer for non-packaged food
  • tea and juice
  • farming and freezing mutations
  • a much more interesting hunger/thirst/disease system than SURVIVAL HARD
  • cosmetic outfits

I realize most of that's in Horizon already, but Horizon's rather all of a piece and I prefer what Sim Settlements does with the settlement system.

COMRADES posted:

Oh, it is. The individual waystations on the Freedom Trail are all annotated with parts of the password, and the trail itself takes you through enough of the danger zones of downtown Boston that if you haven't done anything Deacon likes his default is "but they did walk the entire Freedom Trail to get here".

It's just that the password is also just RAILROAD.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 22, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think Gerstmann was a bit too quickly dismissive, though it's clearly not his type of game and he has zero tolerance for bullshit (which 76 has no shortage of).

Glazius posted:

• a much more interesting hunger/thirst/disease system than SURVIVAL HARD

Could you elaborate?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Could you elaborate?

Imo the way rdr2 handles things was pretty good. You have bars that need to be filled, each with a core that determines the rate at which bars regenerate. Weapons don't break but they get dirty. You alter things like weight by regularly eating, but being underweight means you have more stamina while overweight gets you more health.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Pararoid posted:

Did you happen to work for Rooster Teeth when Fallout 4 came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7sXHiUBrZM

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Rinkles posted:

Could you elaborate?

I realize it's probably not much different but it's psychologically different - getting hungry and thirsty in survival mode was a list of penalties you had to offset. The top level of fullness and hydration in 76 gives you a bonus to HP (food), AP regen (water), and disease resist (both). There's an endurance perk that boosts the bonus.

In both cases you're getting weaker as your food and drink meters drop, but it feels better that the top of both meters is presented as a bonus, rather than the first notch down the start of the penalties.

Also, non-packaged food will rot, so you can't just do the circuit around Abernathy and be in radstag steaks for the next week. (and it's good that it rots because that's how you get Jet I mean grenades I mean fertilizer)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You can also just go to the mothman statue and get like 28 mothman eggs for enough food for along time.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

You can also just go to the mothman statue and get like 28 mothman eggs for enough food for along time.

Everytime I harvest those eggs, I lose ammo... :tinfoil:

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

If you enjoy fallout and v1 of No Man's Sky you'll enjoy this game.

- A Raspberry Bang Review

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Amazon has preemptively price-matched GameStop for both the regular and Tri-Centenial editions of 76 across all platforms. Go hog wild, fun havers!