Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Did you do it yourself or go to the dealer?
I did it myself. There are a lot of steps, but none of them are particularly difficult. All of the info that you need is in the first post here. That post doesn't mention the .100 firmware that is the latest (for North America), but it is in the download folder.

I found this video helpful for the dash disassembly; there are videos on YouTube from other people for the other Mazda models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Apparently it's quite a lot more difficult if your hub is back in the armrest (rather than under the AC controls)

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

dissss posted:

Apparently it's quite a lot more difficult if your hub is back in the armrest (rather than under the AC controls)
I'm going to have to do that eventually with my sister's 3. It still doesn't look all that hard to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op6A5_e3ncU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Guys, I'm a Mazda 3s haver (2014) and a fairly green self-taught shade tree mechanic. What are some fun, middle of the road things I can tinker with in this car? It is my daily driver so nothing too involved.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

vulturesrow posted:

Guys, I'm a Mazda 3s haver (2014) and a fairly green self-taught shade tree mechanic. What are some fun, middle of the road things I can tinker with in this car? It is my daily driver so nothing too involved.

I changed all my interior lights and my reversing lights to LED.
Oh wait, by tinkering you mean something harder?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Perhaps a bit tougher than that. :)

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

vulturesrow posted:

Perhaps a bit tougher than that. :)

OK...how about lowering springs?
Or have I gone too far the other way?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Dogeh posted:

OK...how about lowering springs?
Or have I gone too far the other way?

I'm open to it. What are the pros and cons?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Pros:
Car is lower

Cons:
Car is lower

Seriously though you aren't going to improve how the car drives with just springs, it's a purely cosmetic thing

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

vulturesrow posted:

I'm open to it. What are the pros and cons?

Pros: Lowered Mazda 3s look cool

Cons: You can only drive on asphalt! Ramps are an issue. It's quite a bit of work!

This guy like to mod his car a lot. I want the spoiler!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFq6EXLt8x0

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I think I have enough issues with the car as low as it is already. ;)

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

vulturesrow posted:

I think I have enough issues with the car as low as it is already. ;)

Then raise it up!

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

And stick big knobbly tires on it.
Wonder what that'd look like!

Never ask goons for advice :D

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Got those Potenza RE980AS tires: Quieter than the worn out stock Dunlop Sport 5000s but not by a lot. Where the Dunlops conveyed a lot of vibration into the car on lovely pavement the Bridgestones dampen it for a much smoother feeling ride, but they seem to be somewhat noisy in general. Dry and wet traction are great and steering response is outstanding. Maybe the Michelins would've been quieter but probably not $250 worth of extra quiet.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Well its official, I'm taking possession of my brother's project MS3 on Friday (he took delivery of a brand-new FiST over the weekend.)

Its actually been fairly tastefully modded - HPFP internals, TIP and aftermarket intake, Koni yellows, big fuckoff swaybars (can't remember who they're from) and he had it professionally tuned. I've done almost all the work on it too, so I know what I'm getting into.

Comes with three sets of wheels (stock 18s, Enkei 17" and forged 17" lightweight TSWs) and a shitload of new/spare parts - which he values around $2k, and is all he's looking to get back.

The bad: some rust in the passenger-side wheel well (just cleaned up the DS this past summer) and he dipped it teal in July and it didn't come out well - lots of fuzz, probably going to leave it over the winter and peel/re-dip in the spring. Clutch has about had it too, but there's a clutch/flywheel set in the parts I have for it. Going to need a front bumper eventually - he has a predilection for running into parking space barriers and curbs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's loving awesome.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Now that you mention the clutch... I guess I should be thinking of replacing this since my car is at 135k right? :v: And I'm guessing while doing this work, it's worthwhile to upgrade over just getting OEM?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

air- posted:

Now that you mention the clutch... I guess I should be thinking of replacing this since my car is at 135k right? :v: And I'm guessing while doing this work, it's worthwhile to upgrade over just getting OEM?

If your clutch is working, there’s no reason to pull the engine to change it.

My last mazda6 had 220k miles on the original clutch when I sold it, but the car was always on the highway. It really depends.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 21, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

That's loving awesome.

Yeah I'm pretty excited.

I had custodial possession of it when he was deployed in Korea between 2014-15 and drove it fairly regularly, but haven't had much wheel time since he tuned it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I lost one of the bolts of the 3 that hold in the front strut to the body. I'll retrieve it but meanwhile does anybody know if #11 here is the right one? Is #12 supposed to be a washer?
https://www.onlinemazdaparts.com/a/Mazda_2006_3-S-Hatchback-23L-MT/_51506_5973866/SUSPENSION-COMPONENTS/5417370.html

I can't get the strut loose out the bottom. I think I will just have a shop do it. :[

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

This should be fun. '19 Touring CX-3. Bought it for my wife, but I've been driving it this last week and really enjoying it.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

the spyder posted:

This should be fun. '19 Touring CX-3. Bought it for my wife, but I've been driving it this last week and really enjoying it.

gently caress yes! I've had my 2013 Touring for 2yrs now and I love it very very much.
Hope your wife doesn't mind you borrowing it often!

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

the spyder posted:

Is that Deep Crystal Blue Mica or Eternal Blue Mica?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Well I knew my front tires were bald, but then I picked up a drywall screw in the edge of my rear passenger tire that discount couldn't patch.

So I made an unplanned purchase of some Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s today. Hopefully they're good.

Bye bye any other Black Friday purchases I had planned.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Franco Caution posted:

Is that Deep Crystal Blue Mica or Eternal Blue Mica?

Eternal Blue Mica

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Thanks! The color selector on the Mazda website sucks, and the colors look nothing like they do in pictures or in person.
I am thinking of going to look at the 19 CX-5s with the turbo when they start showing up, and I like that blue a lot.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Three days into MS3 ownership - power everywhere in the band is great. Its prodigious thirst for premium fuel is not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh good, loud clunking when I make low speed turns.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Pls diagnose and tell me what it is. TIA. (My guess is front struts bearing things)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's definitely coming from the rear. And it started out of nowhere. Dude who's been helpful in the past says it might be the diff mount as it is known to fail.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Rhyno posted:

It's definitely coming from the rear. And it started out of nowhere. Dude who's been helpful in the past says it might be the diff mount as it is known to fail.

What Mazda is this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
2007 Mazdaspeed6.

Mazda wants $180 just to put it on a lift so gently caress that, my wife's go to place will look at it for free and is staffed by a couple enthusiasts I know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
UPDATE:

they are pretty certain it's a rear strut as they are lunatics and one guy road in the back with his head hanging out the window while another drove it so they could pinpoint the clunking. I love these guys.
They also put it on a lift and tugged, pushed and tapped on every component and there's nothing loose, cracked or outright broken. Quoted $360 to replace the rears struts. Now to decide if I should have stock replacements put in or have some fun with upgrades.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I'm envious of you knowing a good local shop-- that will also do a free diagnosis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's a chain! Belle Tire. But they do a free safety inspection which all this fell under. As I've said, my wife has had fantastic service there to date so I figured I'd give them a go.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

UPDATE:

they are pretty certain it's a rear strut as they are lunatics and one guy road in the back with his head hanging out the window while another drove it so they could pinpoint the clunking. I love these guys.
They also put it on a lift and tugged, pushed and tapped on every component and there's nothing loose, cracked or outright broken. Quoted $360 to replace the rears struts. Now to decide if I should have stock replacements put in or have some fun with upgrades.

old man yelling at clouds here: lowered cars ride like poo poo, the roads are poo poo and flat and boring where you are. Just put in stock replacements. :corsair:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Rhyno posted:

UPDATE:

Get MOOG endlinks while you're at it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

air- posted:

Get MOOG endlinks while you're at it.

Ehhhhhhhh. The moog endlinks were a huge PITA to install on my 1st gen MS3. I don't know how the rear suspension is situated in the MS6, but since the bolt isn't keyed for an allen key like the OEM endlink, you have to use a crowfoot wrench, wedged up in the swing arm (or whatever it's called) to tighten the nuts without spinning the bolt.

I did not enjoy replacing mine, and I need to go buy more grease and regrease mine.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I was just going through available bilstein products because they have some supply issues and noticed I have B6s and B8s for those. Those with stock springs or like, eibachs would be fine for street driving.

Also tokico HP fronts for like $40 a piece. But no rears.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
The new Mazda 3
https://jalopnik.com/here-is-the-2019-mazda3-1830695647

The hatch side profile looks slightly off but digging the rear (those taillights!) and swanky interior.

hmmxkrazee fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 28, 2018