Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Ardennes posted:

I wonder if he apologized for backing Rahm as mayor.

Every time I read about Rahm, I remember that Sorkin based Josh Lyman on him and I imagine Josh's dumb rear end running Chicago and I vomit in my mouth a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wilhelm posted:

I am noticing a lot of outlets continue to use immigration as a catch-all phrase for both legal immigration and refugees/economic migrants - the latter of which seem to drive the public angry (and lovely management inevitably leads to crime and ghettos forming)

It's an intentional right wing framing. The same with people like Angela Nagle claiming America has "open borders" - i.e. letting nonwhites live here.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Wilhelm posted:

hillary is awful news at 11

I am noticing a lot of outlets continue to use immigration as a catch-all phrase for both legal immigration and refugees/economic migrants - the latter of which seem to drive the public angry (and lovely management inevitably leads to crime and ghettos forming)

I have trouble condemning either to be honest, if anything the refugees are more deserving.

Then again the US has had strict refugee quotas since the war, because of course it has.

I mean it's still better than the UK/Australia approach, but just barely.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

feedmyleg posted:

Surely by now you realize that Trump is enough of an amoral idiot that he doesn't need any outside reason.

His outside reason is that Saudis pay for his businesses. He's said the quiet part out loud, multiple times even. He is president bribes that may or may not forget how much money you gave him.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Destroy the world and then getting mad at people fleeing the destruction you have wrought. This is all just a game to everyone in Washington with no consequences

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

JESUS gently caress HILLARY GO AWAY SHOO

SHOO

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Hilary Clinton, Tony Blair and Renzi to Europe: Close ur borders, it's what good centrists do.

quote:

Clinton was speaking in the quiet of her midtown New York offices, just before the midterm elections. She admitted to still being “absolutely dumbfounded” by her defeat, and reflected on the sudden appeal of combative, supposedly straight-talking candidates who, she said, spoke to people’s emotions, not their reason.

“Strength right now seems really attractive, and there’s not enough of an awareness, or reminders, about what that can lead to,” she said. “There is this tension. I don’t fully understand it. I think it’s as much psychological, maybe more than political, as to what people are yearning for. I mean, freedom is burdensome. It’s hard getting up and taking responsibility for yourself and trying to make all these decisions.”

[...]

“I think Europe needs to get a handle on migration because that is what lit the flame,” Clinton said, speaking as part of a series of interviews with senior centrist political figures about the rise of populists, particularly on the right, in Europe and the Americas.

“I admire the very generous and compassionate approaches that were taken particularly by leaders like Angela Merkel, but I think it is fair to say Europe has done its part, and must send a very clear message – ‘we are not going to be able to continue provide refuge and support’ – because if we don’t deal with the migration issue it will continue to roil the body politic.”

[...]

Clinton said policy had to be written in bolder colours than a 10-point plan. “The real challenge is how do you carry a big banner that says, we are for you. We are going to promote policies and pass laws that are going to help not just those at the top, which is the Trump agenda, but really permeate universally into society, so that you, as well as your neighbour, as well as the guy down the street are going to be better off.”

She ends the interview with a dilemma and a lament. “I’m all for having civil conversations, but if you don’t win elections you can’t change what is happening and get back those norms that have been established over so many years. Unfortunately the way that our press and politics and particularly social media operate now, people reward the most clicks, the most outrageous comments, toughness, strength. That’s what gets rewarded, and it’s heartbreaking to me”.
It's that kind of smart thinking that'll bring back the Democrats!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Holy poo poo these morons.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

"I am incredibly old and I no longer understand what is going on BUT my opinions are still very important and must be shared"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Josef bugman posted:

Holy poo poo these morons.

They're going to kill us all. Fuckin third way dinosaurs doing their best to ensure we don't get to choose a better future

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

labour made its biggest vote swing under corbyn in over 70 years and is polling highest of any party why the gently caress would anyone listen to blair.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Why are these people considered centre left?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/sarperduman/status/1065616569659740161

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Groovelord Neato posted:

labour made its biggest vote swing under corbyn in over 70 years and is polling highest of any party why the gently caress would anyone listen to blair.

Blair is serious

edit:
https://twitter.com/bbccomedy/status/991724183808815104

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

hillary literally doing "*deep breath* we need to get more racist"

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Have you seen Corbyn's jacket? Can back that kind of leadership.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Terror Sweat posted:

Because they and the people in power supporting them have a vested interest in making sure anyone to the left of them is seen as the radical extreme.

Wow Hillary Clinton really sucks. One of the best things for the Democrats would be if she and her awful husband buggered off to some rich community and just lived out their lives.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Have you seen Corbyn's jacket? Can back that kind of leadership.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzuKaTuk_lw

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Wrong. You're making a conscious choice to legitimize the "less evil" option by participating in the process. "Pragmatism" is a cute way to assuage guilt for endorsing lesser atrocities, but a choice to not participate at all is arguable as moral or more so

Welp, let’s vote for the people who put kids in literal camps, that will show them!

Maybe we can get some American citizens -but only the bad ones- in there too!

Embracing the more evil ideology out of some bullshit purity might make sense when you’re in a 1992 Clinton vs George HW Bush election. Not now. How anyone -especially the people most threatened by those policies- can think like this is real dumb. Accelerationism is dumb as gently caress.

Vote left as possible in the primary, vote lesser evil in the general.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Terror Sweat posted:

Because they love neoliberal capitalism but also (mostly) don't have a problem with gay people.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
It's good that every once in a while, Hillary Clinton will pop up out of nowhere and remind you of just how lovely she is. She'll never keep her head down and allow herself to be rehabilitated the way Bush was because she just can't shut the gently caress up. It's a good thing.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

InnercityGriot posted:

It's good that every once in a while, Hillary Clinton will pop up out of nowhere and remind you of just how lovely she is. She'll never keep her head down and allow herself to be rehabilitated the way Bush was because she just can't shut the gently caress up. It's a good thing.

I'm still convinced she's running again in 2020.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1065622782074126337

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Stexils posted:

hillary literally doing "*deep breath* we need to get more racist"

See, if you leave ALL the racism and xenophobia to the racists, they are only going to get more xenophobic and racist!

But if decent, smart, qualified people do racism RIGHT.....

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Junior G-man posted:

She'll put together a committee which will tell her it's a bad idea, and that'll be that.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Junior G-man posted:

I actually think so too, but the stink of her being the person who lost to Trump once already will be too hard to wash off, she would rightly get destroyed in the primary.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Junior G-man posted:

I'm keeping her quotes today handy for when she does and I will pound them into the goddamn dust. Never again should she win any Democrat nomination for anything.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I am going to take an unpopular side here and say that there is a kernel of truth in what Clinton said

quote:

“I think Europe needs to get a handle on migration because that is what lit the flame,”

And

quote:

“I admire the very generous and compassionate approaches that were taken particularly by leaders like Angela Merkel, but I think it is fair to say Europe has done its part, and must send a very clear message – ‘we are not going to be able to continue provide refuge and support’ – because if we don’t deal with the migration issue it will continue to roil the body politic.”

She isn't wrong. The EU has no unified policy to deal with this and the world needs to take a bigger role in fixing the migrant issue from Syria and other places in the Middle East. The United States have literally done nothing to solve this issue. It's a global issue that requires a global solution. To put it on a few European countries is not fair to Europe. I think the Gaurdian article headline is misleading to an extent. She isn't saying close your borders, she is saying what's the global solution.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

She isn't wrong. The EU has no unified policy to deal with this and the world needs to take a bigger role in fixing the migrant issue from Syria and other places in the Middle East. The United States have literally done nothing to solve this issue. It's a global issue that requires a global solution. To put it on a few European countries is not fair to Europe. I think the Gaurdian article headline is misleading to an extent. She isn't saying close your borders, she is saying what's the global solution.

if you're reading that quote as "we can't do everything ourselves, let's come up with a global solution together" rather than "we're going to start refusing migrants" you're reading it very generously

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Is no one watching this Trump teleconference to the military for Thanksgiving? More defending Saudi Arabia, more slamming the courts. I can imagine military worldwide listening to this, looking at each other in shock.

Edit: I thought he was spewing this trip at the military. Was just at reporters.

tecnocrat fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 22, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The global solution is open borders. Migration is not a problem, it is a solution for the labor shortage and lack.of developed world population growth. The entire characterization of migration as a problem is just rank racism.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Stexils posted:

if you're reading that quote as "we can't do everything ourselves, let's come up with a global solution together" rather than "we're going to start refusing migrants" you're reading it very generously

Agreed. Somewhere that racist dogwhistle dog is barking its loving rear end off.

tecnocrat posted:

Is no one watching this Trump teleconference to the military for Thanksgiving? More defending Saudi Arabia, more slamming the courts. I can imagine military worldwide listening to this, looking at each other in shock.

I listen to his brain worm addled verbal diarrhea every other day of the year, I'm taking today off.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

bort posted:

She'll put together a committee which will tell her it's a bad idea, and that'll be that.

If you think rich/powerful people surround themselves with people who tell them 'no', especially about projects they care intensely about, the world must seem a very wild and bewildering place for you.

She'll pick a panel of lickspittles and #Resistance squishes that will tell her the country is aching to make it up to her for its sin of 2016 after 4 years of Trump. And maybe Donna Brazille will be locked outside punching the window and screaming at them to stop sniffing their own farts.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The global solution is open borders. Migration is not a problem, it is a solution for the labor shortage and lack.of developed world population growth. The entire characterization of migration as a problem is just rank racism.

it's telling how all the neolibs who pursue free trade policies for capital get very concerned about the free movement of labor

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I am not trying to be a dick here but can you tell me one country in the world that has an open borders policy?

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

This is a very utopian well-wishing view that would rapidly lead to mass chaos and riots; giant waves of impoverished people without adequate resources or work will rapidly turn to crime and form ghettos. Unless the solution is Europe forms forced labor colonies or something

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

tehinternet posted:

Welp, let’s vote for the people who put kids in literal camps, that will show them!

Maybe we can get some American citizens -but only the bad ones- in there too!

Embracing the more evil ideology out of some bullshit purity might make sense when you’re in a 1992 Clinton vs George HW Bush election. Not now. How anyone -especially the people most threatened by those policies- can think like this is real dumb. Accelerationism is dumb as gently caress.

Vote left as possible in the primary, vote lesser evil in the general.

If all you ever do is choose the Lesser evil that you will never have an opportunity to work towards a better world- you will instead exist in a quagmire of slowly accreting evil. I'm being very serious here, if there is no line at which you will not support the lesser evil than evil is all you will ever know. Because the lesser evil will inevitably give way to the greater evil on a long enough timeline, and meanwhile all that time spent supporting the lesser evil will have surrendered the field to evil without a single shot fired.

The fundamental problem with your entire argument about the kiddie concentration campd is that centrists (the Lesser evil) are never going to take the kids out of the camps now that they are in there. They probably wouldn't have put nearly as many kids in those camps andthey certainly wouldn't have been as blase about it- but they're also not going to fight to close the camps either and our silently acquiescing is the Caps continue to grow. And if you're willing to support the people who won't fight to close the cabs out of some sort of pragmatic lesser evilism- I'm afraid that I'm never going to view that notion with anything but contempt.

Embracing lesser evilism in the face of child concentration camps is not the pragmatic, wise, adult, moral, or correct choice. It's the cowards choice.

Edit: sweet another custom avatar. I love it :love:

Double edit: this makes six av's gotten for criticizing centrists. I'm starting to accrue quite the enviable collection :swoon:

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 22, 2018

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am not trying to be a dick here but can you tell me one country in the world that has an open borders policy?

All of them had open borders until WWI

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
https://twitter.com/mollyjongfast/status/1065627922466304001?s=21

So he is on right now saying he shut down the border entirely- said he “signed an order” to stop the caravan two days ago. This didn’t actually happen did it? It would be big news to stop people from crossing into the US. He said it several times too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Well, at least bashing immigrants will give democratics something to do to fill their time after they legislate their own agenda into political oblivion.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018...w8MWmT-qkoimuKM