Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Kids like the movies if going by my anecdotial evidence at Disney World. Which if Wheat Loaf's BS counts as fact for him, mine counts as fact for me. Therefore, ergo, visa-vi, kids like the movies and Rey. And porgs.

Kids have poo poo taste, this is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Can confirm. gently caress Paw Patrol!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Hmm, so 2 of us think that kids don't like the movies. 1 thinks kids do like the movies and 2 think kids have terrible opinions.

I think we have this figured out. :hai:

Grendels Dad posted:

Well, yeah. I'm saying that giving these characters relationships to the old characters would make it easier for writers to come up with stuff for them. It might be boring and makes the fictional universe feel small, but it's drat well better than the big pile of nothing these characters have right now. Kylo is literally trying to be a character from the OT and it's fun because it connects the old with the new movies and makes Kylo an interesting if somewhat pathetic character.

Nobody knows what the gently caress Poe is about.

Kylo is a good character. It's a bit ironic because he doesn't have a clear goal either, occasionally he has one but then at the drop of a hat he will switch again and it fits his character perfectly.
I think currently he's still at kill the old, but he may have moved past that when Luke went up in a puff of Force.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Darth TNT posted:

Hmm, so 2 of us think that kids don't like the movies.

Nobody does; they just think they do.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Grendels Dad posted:

Can confirm. gently caress Paw Patrol!
My 3-year-old is obsessed with Paw Patrol, so I've seen way too much of it. Worryingly, for what it is - a way to sell expensive toys to small, impressionable children - it's actually pretty well done. Once the writers said "oh, gently caress this" to the pups having to rescue the cat or the chicken from a roof for the 17th time and went all-in with comic-book madness, it became a lot more watchable for adults, even if only on a :wtc: level. When Mayor Humdinger changes from a snooty rival to Mayor Goodway into a cackling Batman villain building robot sharks and stealing giant jewels with the help of his team of evil kittens, it gets far more bearable.

Anything is improved by cackling, I guess is what I'm saying. It worked for Palps.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Han Solo (at first) doesn't have any convictions to the Empire or the Rebels because he doesn't care enough to have given it any thought.
DJ doesn't have any convictions to the First Order or the Resistance because he has given it thought, and actively decided to reject them both.

hmm, alright yeah that's true

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

McCloud posted:

Only a poo poo hates TLJ. As for told in the prophecy.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Only a poo poo hates TLJ. As for told in the prophecy.

well yeah, takes one to know one, and as a poo poo lemme tell you, TLJ is totally poo poo

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Since Disney owns Fox now, does that mean they'll put the 20th Century logo back in the opening for Episode IX?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

McCloud posted:

well yeah, takes one to know one, and as a poo poo lemme tell you, TLJ is totally poo poo

I didn’t make the rules! I just share them!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

How very neutral of you. :nixon:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

I don't deal in facts; only truths.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My one rule is X is gon give it to ya. And that he gon deliver to ya.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CelticPredator posted:

My one rule is X is gon give it to ya. And that he gon deliver to ya.

gently caress wait for you to get it on your own.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
dmx, and specifically that song, are extremely homophobic, and not very cool or good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m still going to enjoy it sorry.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I’m still going to enjoy it sorry.

Not as sorry as the film is :gary:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
the funny thing is dmx is so homosexual when he’s being phobic.
guy is gay as hell

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

surprised to find out the scrapped Obi spinoff was going to be about his initial plan to sell padme's wardrobe to get to coruscant

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I now want Star Wars x Evangelion.

"Be proud of the metaphysical terror you have created, Director Ikari. The power of an AT field is comparable to that of the Force."

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

everyone keeps bringing up eva and mgs2 in these star wars threads and i tell you what, if they do something that radically weird and anti-fan they would at least get my respect. it might not be worth 4 billion dollars but they could still have it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TLJ made a lot of people lose their minds lol

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

because tlj was the first really bad star wars since ep 6. really disappointing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s top three with attack of the clones and empire strikes back.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

euphronius posted:

It’s top three with attack of the clones and empire strikes back.

PULL UP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGwYj4AqB6Q

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wild Horses posted:

because tlj was the first really bad star wars since ep 6. really disappointing

Now X is gon give to ya! You dang rear end fool!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

TLJ made a lot of people lose their minds lol

The trouble is that there is no one “The Last Jedi”; the movie is so incoherent that nobody can actually say what happened in it. There are dozens of conflicting versions of even the basic plot.

A lot of people praise the film for things that don’t actually happen in the film at all. Unless you narrow down what you’re specifically referring to, such posts are meaningless.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The parts of the film that support my preferred reading are, in fact, quite good,

but the parts of the film that contradict my preferred reading are, sadly, quite bad.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Now X is gon give to ya! You dang rear end fool!

he's gonna deliver it(a really mediocre movie) to ya

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The trouble is that there is no one “The Last Jedi”; the movie is so incoherent that nobody can actually say what happened in it. There are dozens of conflicting versions of even the basic plot.

You're going to go and convince me it's great with talk like that.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Oh no!!!!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

The parts of the film that support my preferred reading are, in fact, quite good,

but the parts of the film that contradict my preferred reading are, sadly, quite bad.

drat, who could have predicted this

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I don’t mean there’s moral ambiguity or something. Like, there’s no point debating the morality of Poe’s actions in the opening scene when it is objectively impossible to tell what he did.

I mean that people can’t follow character motivations at all; nobody knows what’s going on. Snoke explains his backstory at length, but it’s poorly conveyed, and fans say it’s subversive that he has no backstory.

Rey concludes that she is special, chosen by God, and so reaffirms her adoption into the Skywalker family because of her genetic superiority (“powerful blood”). But it’s poorly conveyed so Fans say it’s subversive that she is not a chosen one, has no family, and has no powerful blood.

When Luke says it’s time for the Jedi to end, he’s specifically referring to the Jedi Order from the prequels. He says Jedi in general are actually great good-guys:

“And this is the lesson: That Force does not belong to the Jedi Order from the prequels. To say that if the Jedi Order from the prequels dies, the light dies, is vanity.”

Fans then say it’s subversive that Luke wants to destroy the concept of psychic powers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The prequels were also subversive for how they portrayed the Trade Federation as the heroes (they're heroes to me, anyway).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

SMG's argument that the film is bad because it contradicts his deliberate misreading of it is certainly subversive.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Irony Be My Shield posted:

SMG's argument that the film is bad because it contradicts his deliberate misreading of it is certainly subversive.

The (sub-)plot of the film is that Rey is on a mission to restore the Jedi Order for her surrogate mother Leia, but Luke asks her “what about your needs?” and fills her with uncertainty.

Kyle uses this as an opportunity to try to get Rey to defect from the Resistance, reminding her that Leia isn’t her real mom. But Rey rejects Kyle and saves Leia - reaffirming that Leia is her mom, and that the Resistance is great. She will start a New New Jedi Order to help Leia.

What aspect of that summary do you disagree with?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

gently caress SMG, that's way better.

"I will throw away my old name for a new, powerful one. One everyone in the galaxy will respect!

All will tremble before Kyle!"

McCloud posted:

Confirmed, children also like the prequels.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

Kyle Katarn was a pretty cool guy.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Confirmed, children also like the prequels.

they like the original trilogy too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Kyle Katarn was a pretty cool guy.

https://youtu.be/r5okfbG2pRM