Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Seems Sirlin Games is offering 40% off its products this week. I still go to bat for Yomi and Puzzle Strike. Anybody and everybody interested in fighting games or deck-builders respectively should have them. Honorable mentions to Codex and Flash Duel as I have less experience with them but they seem good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

H O L Y S H I T

Miniature Market had Feast for 30 dollars but it's apparently already sold out.

Even better, it went live 15 minutes before they said it would, so it was doubly sold out within seconds.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wasnt some goon working on a Warcraft retheme of codex

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SuperKlaus posted:

Seems Sirlin Games is offering 40% off its products this week. I still go to bat for Yomi and Puzzle Strike. Anybody and everybody interested in fighting games or deck-builders respectively should have them. Honorable mentions to Codex and Flash Duel as I have less experience with them but they seem good.
Puzzle Strike is my favorite game that I get to play so rarely I don't even own it any more.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
How are Steamforged Games in general or if anyone has played that Resident Evil 2 board game they've apparently had at shows recently can they give an opinion? One of my friends is quite into Resident Evil, didn't back the kickstarter whenever that was and is now looking at buying it plus all the expansions cause it's coming out in the next few weeks. He's played like, Galaxy Trucker, 7 Wonders and stuff with my group occasionally but it's the first time he's ever expressed interest in buying a board game himself.

He asked if I've heard anything about the company before, they made the Dark Souls game which I don't remember hearing very much about which means it was probably underwhelming I think. The version he's looking at is like £170 or something so I said he should probably look into it and think pretty hard since bgg and youtube can sometimes overhype stuff and I thought I'd ask here since I tend to trust goon opinions a little more than random people.

I looked up some of the stuff about the RE one and it does look quite cool for an RE nerd but most stuff tends to look cool in promotional blog posts and the like, it's all about how it comes together and plays in the end. I think he's also worried about it being hard to find if he doesn't get it right now, I have no idea about that really but I suspect if he waits he'll probably be able to get it at least £40 cheaper than that in a few months from someone whose played it a bunch and wants to sell it.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Free yourself from the chain of Kickstarter and the truth will become clear (that all zombie board games are terrible)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The Dark Souls board game was really underwhelming - SFG ended up releasing alternate rules to make the play experience more tolerable soon after launch. The first wave also had horrible translation issues and most people I know of who backed it regretted it when their supposedly Spanish copy came in an unholy mix of Italian, French and Spanish. So buyer beware I guess.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kiranamos posted:

Free yourself from the chain of Kickstarter and the truth will become clear (that all zombie board games are terrible)

Tiny Epic Zombies is small and cheap enough to be a good zombie game. Zombie Dice are also fun!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kiranamos posted:

But, but, city of big shoulders and pipeline!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Kiranamos posted:

and buy it at retail from MM or CSI for a reasonable price. (Unless it has KS exclusive bling you can't live without.)

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Aynone have any experience with Time Barons? A cheap 2 player game codeveloped by the guy who made Spelunky sounds up my alley but Im not sure Ive ever heard anyone talk about it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

M a x posted:

Aynone have any experience with Time Barons? A cheap 2 player game codeveloped by the guy who made Spelunky sounds up my alley but Im not sure Ive ever heard anyone talk about it.

I freak out whenever I see you post.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Has anyone here played Azul: Stained Glass of Sintra? How does it compare to Azul?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Has anyone here played Azul: Stained Glass of Sintra? How does it compare to Azul?

Couple of us commented on it a few pages back,

Kiranamos posted:

Azul 2 has really neat ideas but it seemed way harder not to break glass especially at the end of a round. All of us got over -10 or more over the game. Also being able to “pass” defeats the initial purpose of the game a little bit.

Merauder posted:

Azul Sintra was one I actually had a different take on from Kiranamos above- I think I'll just gift my copy of Azul 1 to some nephews for Christmas and replace it with Sintra. I think the puzzle was much more interesting to figure out how to maximize, and I felt like the "reset" action you can take in lieu of taking tiles makes things much more interesting. Being forced to always draft tiles in the original often led to a series of foregone decisions that weren't particularly interesting or strategic, where the location of your glazier pawn in Sintra, and the option/need to reset him from time to time, forces some additional forethought and adds potential for less linear, more branching play.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Azul Sinatra is all my eyes see.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Antiquity for 105 Canadian locally. If it’s still there tomorrow when I have time to carry a big box, I’m buying it.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

So I enjoy Terraforming Mars a lot but all my gaming friends have a copy, I need something else. Apart from the fact that it includes many different types of mechanisms, what I like about it is that the mechanics "make sense" within the game world. Excess energy is converted to heat, which can be used to raise the temperature of Mars, you're not moving stabble cubes to the disparation area in order to gain VPs. Many of the cards are easy to understand at a glance as well, a giant asteroid is probably gonna destroy living things a raise the temperature and so on.

Are there any good games that are similar in this regard? Doesn't have to be the same type of game, but space or sci-fi theme is a plus. Viticulture is the only one I can think of, and that's more down to earth so to speak.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 23, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Are there any good games that are similar in this regard? Doesn't have to be the same type of game, but space or sci-fi theme is a plus. Viticulture is the only one I can think of, and that's more down to earth so to speak.
Race for the Galaxy is good from a mechanical perspective but be warned it does completely fail the "the cards are easy to understand at a glance" criteria until you've played it a bit.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

So I enjoy Terraforming Mars a lot but all my gaming friends have a copy, I need something else. Apart from the fact that it includes many different types of mechanisms, what I like about it is that the mechanics "make sense" within the game world. Excess energy is converted to heat, which can be used to raise the temperature of Mars, you're not moving stabble cubes to the disparation area in order to gain VPs. Many of the cards are easy to understand at a glance as well, a giant asteroid is probably gonna destroy living things a raise the temperature and so on.

Dungeon Petz is great for that, but explaining the rules is a huge pain. Kanban also works well as long as everyone understands that it's a game about climbing the corporate ladder that happens to be set in auto factory rather than the other way around. I've also heard good things about Gùgōng, but I haven't gotten a chance to try it myself.

Also, I'm kind of salty that all the good games in the MM 2nd wave sale sold out in the first few hours. They had Coimbra and Feast for about $30 each.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 23, 2018

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Take a look at Gaia Project. It's also space themed and has a logical use for all the resources, but it's crunchier than Terraforming Mars and will require more planning to get your economy off the ground. Don't know how complex you're willing to go, as it is definitely a more complex game.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Merauder posted:

Couple of us commented on it a few pages back,

I wasn't looking for it before today so I missed it.

Thanks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jordan7hm posted:

Antiquity for 105 Canadian locally. If it’s still there tomorrow when I have time to carry a big box, I’m buying it.

Woah, what? Where? Closest I've seen it is like 120 downtown.

Don't worry, not going to snipe it from you (only friend I would play it with already owns it)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Morpheus posted:

Woah, what? Where? Closest I've seen it is like 120 downtown.

Don't worry, not going to snipe it from you (only friend I would play it with already owns it)

The comic book shoppe on Bank put it in their clearance section.

If it’s not there when I go tomorrow, cest la vie. It’s 105 on boardgamebliss right now anyway, just surprised to see that price in a shop.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

In case anyone is interested, we're well into Betrayal Legacy now and thus far it has been pretty unsatisfying. This isn't a big surprise or something, but it's a little disappointing - our initial cautious optimism is fading.

The haunts have been mostly terrible, and I'm disappointed by the lack of thematic integration or progress. I was hoping for some kind of slow-reveal metaplot progression, but so far any tie between games has been superficial, and the stuff we're adding has been unexciting. If it doesn't pick up soon, we'll probably give up on it before the end of the campaign.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Battle for Rokugan is pretty cool although I missed the diplomacy of GoT. It's certainly a hell of a lot shorter and not hardlocked to 6 players though, so a solid little brawler that uses a combat/order system I generally enjoy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Broken Token has finally come up with storage solutions for Arkham and Eldritch Horror. Can't wait to drop $180 on a giant crate.

Anyone have any experience staining and/or sealing a Broken Token insert before? I'd kinda want that one to last a good long while, but I'm a complete amateur with that sort of thing

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

jivjov posted:

The Broken Token has finally come up with storage solutions for Arkham and Eldritch Horror. Can't wait to drop $180 on a giant crate.

Anyone have any experience staining and/or sealing a Broken Token insert before? I'd kinda want that one to last a good long while, but I'm a complete amateur with that sort of thing

I've never done any wood staining before even though I plan to stain my own broken token stuff when I get around to it, but broken token has an official video on how to stain their products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGcSN_ugmc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoyxPwtMGy8

I've also read from others through BGG that you'll want to stay away from the 2 in 1 stains and to avoid polyurethane if you can because it ends up building up on the wood and makes it harder to assemble. They also suggested using sandpaper to smooth out any imperfections and to smooth out any rough edges, 320 to 600 grit for the former, 180 grit if needed for the latter, and that a craft knife is useful too if there are any bits along the edges that need to be cut off and sanded. Avoid oil-based stains if you can because according to some stuff I've read the oil can absorb into the game pieces.

I've also read that this is a very lengthy process that requires a lot of downtime for the stuff to dry, so be wary of that since once you commit to it you're going to want to finish it and it's gonna take a while.

Some threads I found on reddit about broken token staining:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gloomhaven/comments/7k09mq/looking_for_advice_for_staining_broken_token/
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/9dxi3o/broken_token_inserts_stain_plain_or_paint_whywhy/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Gloomhaven/comments/7om6iv/to_anyone_who_has_stained_an_insert_before/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Gloomhaven/comments/97khf5/question_for_those_that_stained_their_broken/

Though I'm still not entirely certain whether to use super glue or wood glue. The research I did said wood glue works best on unstained surfaces but it'd be a big pain in the rear end to assemble the broken token stuff first and then stain it.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jordan7hm posted:

The comic book shoppe on Bank put it in their clearance section.

If it’s not there when I go tomorrow, cest la vie. It’s 105 on boardgamebliss right now anyway, just surprised to see that price in a shop.

Pretty sure at one point BGB was offloading them for ~$89 and I see it routinely on sale. I have a feeling they overestimated the demand for the game and have one or two copies more than they want floating around. If it got the buzz FCM got they'd have no problem but christ, it is not an easy sell.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

Pretty sure at one point BGB was offloading them for ~$89 and I see it routinely on sale. I have a feeling they overestimated the demand for the game and have one or two copies more than they want floating around. If it got the buzz FCM got they'd have no problem but christ, it is not an easy sell.

It's actual $89.95 CAD on GreatBoardGames.ca right now, limit 1 per order. If my friend hadn't picked up the game already I'd be jumping on it for that price.

Edit: Oh hey and Calimala is $45. It's a cool game with a worker placement mechanic that I haven't seen anywhere else: You place your action disc between two actions on a three-by-three grid, and perform both actions. Then, if anyone wants to take the same two actions, they place their worker on yours, perform their actions, then you perform yours again. This happens for the third disc as well, activating both your disc and the one above yours. On the fourth disc, however, that worker performs his actions, the one below him performs his, and the one below him performs theirs, but the fourth disc at the bottom of the stack instead goes on a scoring track, which scores a particular part of the board, and gives the owner of that disc a 'seat', which breaks ties for scoring purposes. It's dry as hell (textiles and art in italy or something) but it's pretty cool. And the 3-by-3 grid of actions, as well as the order of scoring, is randomized. So in one game you might score the most silk on trade routes first, then marble statues, then the next game you'll stark with the most work done on a particular cathedral followed by wood placed on the board.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 23, 2018

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

M a x posted:

It's fun and i enjoy it, but there's just not a lot to say about a streamlined little 30-minutes, 2-players only, card game with no modifications to the set of cards you play with intended or expansions planned.

As far as how it plays, it's clever. The fact that you're trying to wipe out your opponent's 'followers' as pieces on the board which must be attached to a card at all times is a lot more tactile than smacking around an Abstracted Life Force Value, and the fact that followers are both your lifeblood and a resource to be spent leads to Interesting Decisions. The decision to burn a turn to tech up and start drawing from a new deck with stronger cards, or try to burn down your enemy with what you have in this era, is neat. I'm not sure how much i like the fact that you're both drawing from the same decks in such a tightly limited card pool, which leads to things like 'oh, you drew the Railroad your first draw in industrial age, my temple engine i set up in medieval was never going to work and i didn't know it until the end of the game.'

On the other hand, i won a game by installing an AI Overlord in a cathedral and using the flow of free resources to ion cannon my enemy to death. Hail the Church of Skynet.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does anyone house rule Anachrony for the taking first player action? Wasting a suit and sinking two water for first player feels really bad. Is there a way to make it feel less bad or is it perfectly balanced the way it is and I just don't know better?

At least in other games when you take first player you get a minor benefit from it, like an extra resource or something. Every game I've played, nobody wants to sink the resources into taking first player so it ends up that whoever gets it at the start of the game is either perpetually up a turn, or up a '3 water' advantage over someone who takes first player from them. I think I've seen someone take first player once in like 10 games.

In my mind, it should be more like 'take first player and either 1 water or a single cube' or something to make it at least feel like you get something out of it.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
Antiquity is $80 at CSI right now.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Jejoma posted:

Antiquity is $80 at CSI right now.

Is there something going on with Antiquity all of a sudden, everywhere seems to be trying to get rid of it pronto, all at the same time.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Is there something going on with Antiquity all of a sudden, everywhere seems to be trying to get rid of it pronto, all at the same time.

Contaminated, like romaine lettuce, is what I heard.

But really, I'm not sure what Splotter's product cycle is like, but maybe they're getting ready to put out a new edition of it, with some improvements.

Jejoma fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 23, 2018

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Morpheus posted:

It’s a big box so if it’s not selling they probably would rather have the space

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Papes posted:

It’s a big box so if it’s not selling they probably would rather have the space

I figured that's what it is. Just strange that suddenly everyone wants to get rid of it at the same time. I guess they got it at the same time, and stores tend to follow a fairly similar sale schedule for how long a thing should be on the shelf before making room for more merchandise.

Edit: Oh when I played, I used the plastic tiles from the bgg store. Can't imagine using cardboard for all the different resources and such, that would've driven me mad.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think the larger success of FCM made the stores think that splotter's other games would sell well, forgetting that they're still pretty niche heavy games that look and play like parodies of board games normies have in their minds (which is why they're good)

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

I've never done any wood staining before even though I plan to stain my own broken token stuff when I get around to it, but broken token has an official video on how to stain their products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGcSN_ugmc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoyxPwtMGy8

I've also read from others through BGG that you'll want to stay away from the 2 in 1 stains and to avoid polyurethane if you can because it ends up building up on the wood and makes it harder to assemble. They also suggested using sandpaper to smooth out any imperfections and to smooth out any rough edges, 320 to 600 grit for the former, 180 grit if needed for the latter, and that a craft knife is useful too if there are any bits along the edges that need to be cut off and sanded. Avoid oil-based stains if you can because according to some stuff I've read the oil can absorb into the game pieces.

I've also read that this is a very lengthy process that requires a lot of downtime for the stuff to dry, so be wary of that since once you commit to it you're going to want to finish it and it's gonna take a while.

Some threads I found on reddit about broken token staining:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gloomhaven/comments/7k09mq/looking_for_advice_for_staining_broken_token/
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/9dxi3o/broken_token_inserts_stain_plain_or_paint_whywhy/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Gloomhaven/comments/7om6iv/to_anyone_who_has_stained_an_insert_before/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Gloomhaven/comments/97khf5/question_for_those_that_stained_their_broken/

Though I'm still not entirely certain whether to use super glue or wood glue. The research I did said wood glue works best on unstained surfaces but it'd be a big pain in the rear end to assemble the broken token stuff first and then stain it.

Couple recommendations.
The thing to keep in mind is that the Broken Token’s stuff has pretty crappy tolerances. They don’t use consistently planed plywood so the thicknesses of parts vary a lot. Also the parts move very slightly when they laser cut it but even a half-mm offset across a very long piece is the difference between a very loose fit and an impossibly tight fit.

Strongly recommend staining before punching out wood from frame. Ensure your applicator cloth isn’t soaked so that you have control over the application. Some stain will leak into the edges of the pieces but it’s fine as it’s imperceptible (the laser burn is generally darker than the stain).

My personal preference: I (most recently) did two thin coats of stain, did some hand-painting on the edges and raised portions of certain engraved text/logos to bring them out more.
Did three coats of matte spray polyurethane on both sides before punching out the pieces. Let each coat of spray dry fully before spraying again or flipping the part. Very lightly sand to take off the grittiness from the spray polyurethane. I’m very glad I did the polyurethane coat the most recent time. Although in the future I think a gloss would look and function better than a matte.

Definitely use wood glue and not super glue. Super glue may wick into the grain of the wood (depending on if you’ve stain/varnish), and doesn’t have appropriate viscosity to bridge any gaps in the join, and is also too brittle compared to the wood.

Strongly recommend use glue on every joint, even if you don’t think you’ll need it.

Definitely helps to have a soft mallet available. Also helps to have hard, flat work surfaces, especially if there are 90deg internal corners on your work surface to mallet against.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I've been away from the board game scene for the last year or so. I blame Seafall. Has there been any notable developments or games I should know about?

Also is the AFFO expansion good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Smiling Demon posted:

I've been away from the board game scene for the last year or so. I blame Seafall. Has there been any notable developments or games I should know about?

Also is the AFFO expansion good?

Root
Meltwater
This guilty land

Those games are definitely not for everyone but those are the most “notable” designs from this year.