Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Dr.Smasher posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2

I already have that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Horizon Zero Dawn is also in the running please help

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Sid Vicious posted:

Of the three? Probably fallout. Horizon is fun but there's not much point in doing anything besides the main story quests. Survive is bad.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Sid Vicious posted:

Dragon Quest XI

Paperboy
Nov 20, 2018

:shepface:
Limbo is not a good game. Its visual art and overall ambience succeeds in making the game eerie, but the actual gameplay (i.e. what I paid for) feels uninspired and annoying. In the end of the day, it's just another platformer except this time it's less dependent on skill and more dependent on dying a few times in order to observe the unoriginal surprises contained in a given segment. Unoriginal surprises include: platforms falling from beneath the characters and deathly traps flying on screen.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

Which should I get, metal Gear survive or Fallout 4 tia

everyone should buy hitman 2, it is goty

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr.Smasher posted:

Dragon Quest XI

For most mediocre game of the year that kowtows to a warcrimes denier?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Cryptark is a really good $10 game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

SpazmasterX posted:

Of the three? Probably fallout. Horizon is fun but there's not much point in doing anything besides the main story quests. Survive is bad.

I throw my hat in for Horizon over any Fallout game right now. It's very fun in my opinion and is significantly better than a Fallout if your priority is the primary gameplay, though I guess if your priority for game purchases is how much time you have to sink before getting a platinum trophy then Fallout wins or something

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

Didn't Bethesda have a fairly good track record of relatively short reveal times and limited non-game footage before their games were set to come out, as well as a bit more of a, "What you see is more or less what you're going to get' attitude?

As opposed to other companies that promote games at trade shows that are set to release 1-4 years later, if at all.

They had a very bad track record of releasing buggy unplayable messes so they stopped sending out review copies or letting people really see the game before release because they were afraid that it would negatively impact their day 1 sales. That may be what you're thinking of. Rephrasing that as a good thing is... uh...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sardonik posted:

Fallout is dead, long live wasteland.

I've been playing a lot of Rimworld lately, and it kind of scratches the same itch as Fallout 1/2. The base building and all that is extra of course, but I mean the caravan mode makes me feel like I'm playing a procedurally generated Fallout 1. It's not perfect but I'll take it

I know Bethesda is never going to give me another proper rpg fallout. bethesda has been on a trajectory for a while. Arena and Daggerfall were hard core sim type rpgs, then they made Morrowind more accessible to appeal to the masses and had a lot of success. Bethesda has doubled down on this strategy ever since, taking away slightly more RPG and adding more action every new game. With fallout 76 they finally went too far, they stripped out all of the RPG in order to make a pure action game and failed to realize they suck at making anything but RPGs.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I just don't know how somebody can play Skyrim, wander up to a dragon to initiate combat, and get instantly murked by an insta-kill animation and think "now this is gameplay."

This is the same company that released the horse armor DLC we're talking about here.

I got killed? In my video game??!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I really feel like picking up FO4, but then I remember that I still haven’t finished 3 or started NV.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Lazyhound posted:

I really feel like picking up FO4, but then I remember that I still haven’t finished 3 or started NV.

New Vegas is so much better than anything Bethesda has ever made it's not even funny.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 22, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sardonik posted:

New Vegas is so much better than anything Bethesda has ever made it's not even funny.

That's not true, Morrowind was great

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

New Vegas is basically the only 3D Fallout game with a story that changes based on a wide array of player choice. You know, like the first two Fallout games and pretty much any actually good RPG. The story puts you in charge of the game world and the destinies of its fleshed-out characters, rather than have you serve as a gopher for Bethesda's extremely boring and annoying characters that no one has ever cared about.

There are no invincible NPCs in New Vegas, something that Bethesda always leans on. If you like a character, help them. If you hate them, kill them. If you like a character but not enough to put them in charge of the world, or want to see what happens to the game if you do X, take one of the ten chances you are given with each character to branch the storyline out differently. Deal with actually interesting game themes, like life in the post-post-apocalypse. Or, kill everyone you meet. Or, ignore all of that entirely and play survival out in the desert.

Play DLCs that are actually all good and different, and not low-effort cash-ins that in some cases a single modder probably could have made in a couple of months.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sodomy Hussein posted:

There are no invincible NPCs in New Vegas,

except Yes Man

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rutibex posted:

except Yes Man

You can kill Yes Man. You can kill as many Yes Men as you want. It's a different thing entirely whether he keeps replicating.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

except Yes Man

Why would you kill yes man?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sid Vicious posted:

Horizon by a mile

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Why would you kill yes man?

dave foley is a smug jerk!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Fried Watermelon posted:

dave foley is a smug jerk!

Dave Foley showed his dick off for the sake of a Uwe Boll movie

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Pokemon is boring.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Call to Power 2 is the best civ game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

zapplez posted:

Now this is a loving hot take considering they made some of the most successful and critically acclaimed games of the past 10 years.

Successfully bad games.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Successfully bad games.

I've played pretty much every single Bethesda game since Oblivion, and it is shocking how mediocre they are.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Super heros are stupid but drat if City of Heroes wasn't one of the best designed games ever made in terms of progression mechanics.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hako posted:

Super heros are stupid but drat if City of Heroes wasn't one of the best designed games ever made in terms of progression mechanics.

That game ruined MMOs for me.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've played pretty much every single Bethesda game since Oblivion, and it is shocking how mediocre they are.

Why do you keep playing them then?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

CrRoMa posted:

Why do you keep playing them then?

I played Oblivion because I never played an Elder Scrolls game before.

I played Fallout 3 because I loved New Vegas and wanted to see how it held up.

I played a bit of Skyrim because my brother kept getting stuck in it.

Skipped the newer Fallouts though but heard that Fallout 4 was similar to 3. And the complaints of 76 sound like what I have been saying about the studio for the past twelve years.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I think i just use the word mediocre differently, i would describe the assassins creed games as such which is why i havnt played any since the first one

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I liked Fallout 1 and 2 and 3 and Oblviion was extremely cool when it came out (but with a dogshit main quest) and Skyrim was great all around imo.

Fallout 4 was not very good and I got bored of it before even finishing the story. It felt antiquated even as it launched. I can't imagine what Fallout 76 feels like (i imagine it is like poo)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
bethesda did not make fallout 1 and 2

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bethesda and Ubisoft both make equally mediocre games, and everybody loves a mediocre game.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Rutibex posted:

bethesda did not make fallout 1 and 2

What's your point, bucko

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That game ruined MMOs for me.

I think they ruined you before and you just didn't know how to process the love you had for COH properly.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
fartout 70shits

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
bethesda is basically the only company that makes games like FO4/Skyrim so if you enjoy that whole open world FPS RPG thing, you are stuck with them and you will like it.

And for that reason, since they make a whole genre by themselves, they are a great game company

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Undertale is exclusively for mentally ill people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hako posted:

I think they ruined you before and you just didn't know how to process the love you had for COH properly.

No, I mean in that no other MMO can possibly measure up.