Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, that's not a terrible idea, the hardest part of cooking is actually working out what to make all the time and not descending into cooking the same three things over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Space Gopher posted:

It's pretty high compared to Seattle.

You could definitely do it, but you'd need to keep on top of the trendy restaurant lists, filter out anything that looks too divey or "ethnic," and never, ever consider drinking water.

What does quote ethnic quote mean?

I'm sure it varies by region, but dinner for two under $80 means you're going to be eating something you could probably cook better, healthier, and cheaper at home. Always fun to hire people to do all the cooking and cleaning for you, though.

Speaking of Trendy Restaurant Lists, landing your restaurant on one of those is... BWM?!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thrillist.com/amphtml/eat/portland/stanichs-closed-will-it-reopen-burger-quest

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What does quote ethnic quote mean?

That refers to the styles that have been systematically devalued in America so much so that the market price for an ethnic meal is noticeably cheaper than market price for a white meal — Mexican and Asian (as a category of multiple cuisines) are the big examples.

https://awolau.org/1799/print/culture/race-in-the-kitchen-the-devaluation-of-ethnic-food/

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ooo solid point. One of the most delicious restaurants in Portland is a ramen house with $17 bowls, and the top reviews are all 1star because "ramen packets are $0.25, this is criminal"

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Droo posted:

I've seen people talk about sites that give you an entire week's shopping list and meal plan for like $10/month, it sounds like it aggregates the shopping list so you just go buy what it says all at once and then make the meals.

I would pay an extra $5/month for someone to also run the list against prices at all the grocery stores around me and optimize pricing. That's the worst part of grocery shopping.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ooo solid point. One of the most delicious restaurants in Portland is a ramen house with $17 bowls, and the top reviews are all 1star because "ramen packets are $0.25, this is criminal"

$17 ramen bowl x 2 plus an $8 appetizer plus two $8 drinks, tax and tip gets you to $74. Don't even think about dessert lest you break $80 and be accused of being an ethnic food avoiding bougie

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Same but pho and bahn mi

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

DariusLikewise posted:

I would pay an extra $5/month for someone to also run the list against prices at all the grocery stores around me and optimize pricing. That's the worst part of grocery shopping.

I’m of the opinion that going to three different grocery store to save a few bucks is not worth my time, but the GF disagrees.

We do a Costco run every other week and a regular grocery store the week we don’t do Costco and it works ok.

BWM: buying fresh stuff for only two people at Costco.

Jan 11, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

I’m of the opinion that going to three different grocery store to save a few bucks is not worth my time, but the GF disagrees.

We do a Costco run every other week and a regular grocery store the week we don’t do Costco and it works ok.

BWM: buying fresh stuff for only two people at Costco.

"What do you mean we can't eat 7 pounds of arugula??"

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lol

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Same but pho and bahn mi

Paying more than $4-5 for a bahn mi is BWM. Holy lolly at white people charging $10 for a shittier version of what you can get at most Vietnamese delis for $3.50.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Weatherman posted:

lol how much money did you lose when your dodgy account got shut down?

None, because I'm aware that banks view clients as threats first and customers second these days.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Dillbag posted:

Paying more than $4-5 for a bahn mi is BWM. Holy lolly at white people charging $10 for a shittier version of what you can get at most Vietnamese delis for $3.50.

I'm confused. Are white people making ethnic food cost too little or cost too much?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm confused. Are white people making ethnic food cost too little or cost too much?

Both. loving White people are the worst.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yes

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
This little Vietnamese deli near me makes the most amazing "special pork" banh mi that uses super thin sliced fatty pork and they run it under a sandwich toaster that melts the fat into the bread and it's only $4.25 and oh God I want one right fuckin now

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

All market forces are white peoples' fault.

Is this an unironic post or a sarcastic post? Stay tuned.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SlapActionJackson posted:

And this, folks, is why you don't share any information with your bank unless absolutely required.

Good thing every deposit agreement allows the bank to exit your rear end for not answering questions. Online accounts are effectively zero tolerance too, I say the word and the card's shut off, the account is put into a hold status, and they drop a 10-day closure letter in the mail.

You're more than welcome to go to wells fargo, they don't give a poo poo.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
This is a great example of looking only at the car payment. Can he afford the monthly payment? Barely. Can he afford the insurance for an 18 year old in a Mustang GT? Hahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahh no

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

I am the law.

Mind telling us which bank you work for that so highly values its customer relationships?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

$17 ramen bowl x 2 plus an $8 appetizer plus two $8 drinks, tax and tip gets you to $74. Don't even think about dessert lest you break $80 and be accused of being an ethnic food avoiding bougie

Routinely spending over $40 per single meal is the very definition of bougie lol. Unless you're always getting alcohol with your meals in which case yeah that's gonna skew your perception of what a "meal" costs

Do those $40 boxes include a small bottle of wine or something?

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

quote:

My (23/F) boyfriend (30/M) owes me $500.00 and I need it now. He’s saying he doesn’t have it and I’m not sure what do it because I really need the money

Like I said, I sold my boyfriend something that cost me a lot of money because I was going to sell it in general for the money but he really wanted it. I made it clear I could not afford to just give it away. That I NEEDED to sell it. The total was $500.00. Now I haven’t been pressuring him for the money. He’s known he needs to pay me for three months now and hasn’t. He however puts all his money into Bitcoin. And when I asked if he had the $500.00 he said he doesn’t. And I said “withdraw some from bitcoin” and he said “I can’t that’s my long term investment my taxes would be a mess” and I said “Okay then instead of continuing to invest why don’t you pay me?” And he doesn’t seem to be going for that either. I don’t know what to do. Because I NEED the money. At the time I sold it the item was worth more than it is now because it was at a peek. So if he gives it back it’ll sell for much less. Plus I don’t even think he can give it back because he needs the item. He would have to just buy a new one to replace it anyway. Not sure what to do

TL/DR boyfriend owes me $500.00 says he doesn’t have it but has a crap load invested in bitcoin and refuses to withdraw any money

UPDATE: HE BROKE UP WITH ME.

EDIT A PHOTO OF HIS TRUE FORM
NSFW https://geekysextoys.com/product/bitcoin-dildo-btc/ NSFW

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/comments/9x0onb/my_23f_boyfriend_30m_owes_me_50000_and_i_need_it/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mind telling us which bank you work for that so highly values its customer relationships?

:pram:

It's jpmc

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

I desperately want to know what the item is

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

It’s for a project do not ask what the project is

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

:qq:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Another classic Weatherman "All Emotes" post. Good poo poo bruh!!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

FAUXTON posted:

It's jpmc

so YOU'RE the one that didnt accept the photo of my drivers license because my thumb was over the expiration date

Jan 11, 2004

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I desperately want to know what the item is

It has to be a video card, what other item "peaks" that some Bitcoin idiot would want bad enough to steal from his girlfriend

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

so YOU'RE the one that didnt accept the photo of my drivers license because my thumb was over the expiration date

Hell we reported you to the feds for incomplete doc

feller
Jul 5, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Good thing every deposit agreement allows the bank to exit your rear end for not answering questions. Online accounts are effectively zero tolerance too, I say the word and the card's shut off, the account is put into a hold status, and they drop a 10-day closure letter in the mail.

You're more than welcome to go to wells fargo, they don't give a poo poo.

Your job isn't as interesting as you think

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Sit-down restaurant that isn't Chinese or Mexican or barbecue in a styrofoam box, with two dinner entrees and one drink each, plus tip? Can't remember last time I spent less than the $78 that the box cost *shrug* YMMV

Verdict: Guillotine, but as a mercy killing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Senor Dog posted:

Your job isn't as interesting as you think

It consists mainly of staring at spreadsheets and I've never been quiet about that part :shrug:

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Fucken love spreadsheets. Fuckin love geese.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Merry Christmas you loving nerds.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Michael Buble is defrosting as we speak

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Any shopping related violence yet?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Murderball posted:

Shooting at an Alabama mall just now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Murderball posted:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/black-friday-chaos-frantic-shoppers-13630972

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6420779/Scuffles-break-armed-guards-called-amid-Black-Friday-chaos-South-Africa.html

And to bring the BWM point home:

"Almost 3 in 10 shoppers are going into the holiday season still carrying debt from last year's festivities."
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/19/how-to-deal-with-a-holiday-debt-hangover.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Roy Moore takes an unexpected Elliot Rodgers turn.