Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

friendbot2000 posted:

Just a minor nitpick because I think in this instance specificity is important. It exists to control poor whites AND people of color.

Huh. Really. Learned something new today.

Since it doesn't translate well in text I'm making fun of you for being autistic.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
As a member of the actual dirtbag leftist cabal I can assure you we're not active in this thread save for noting the failures of our less pure brethren. Can't act less we suffer the same fate.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I love when the Big Wet President plays weatherman on Twitter. I mean, I get what he's hamfistedly trying to do, but it's still hilarious.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1065718109624066049

He's really mastered the art of the internet troll approach to his bully pulpit. Basically find point you want to hammer on and then conveniently pick through current situations and factoids that allow you to hammer on said point while disregarding everything else around you. Trump clearly wants to be on about climate change denial as he does every single winter cause he's a simple minded base pandering idiot. So now instead of thanksgiving well wishes we get daily twitter shitposts about how Thanksgiving and Christmas are really about how global warming is a myth. Soon probably to give way to some bleating about what a boon Black Friday was for the economy and how it's all thanks to him if he's predictable as I figure.

I wonder if he's even remotely aware about how just little the average American gives a solitary gently caress right now. Their concerns are almost certainly going to be "holy gently caress is it cold right now" and boy I hope my flight isn't delayed so I make it home to my family in time for Turkey.

Prester Jane posted:

If it weren't Mitch McConnell it would be someone else. And the reason we're focused on incompetent leadership is because incompetent leadership hamstrings any actual resistance from taking place. You absolutely have to replace the incompetent leadership first before you can expect to really fight back. Until you replace that incompetent leadership nothing you do matters and will have no appreciable impact in the long-term. Sure, you may win a few short-term victories here and there, but so long as you have incompetent leadership you are ultimately destined for failure. 100%. No exceptions whatsoever.

None.

Makes sense. Again it's not that I disagree with these positions or anything in particular, it's just the way the USPOL unpackages it's ideas, as I've mentioned before, that makes it come across at times as sort of meme inspired or half serious. One thing that can't be stressed enough is that just because someone questions a position does not actually mean they are fully against it or even at all. There's this tendency to feel like asking for elaboration or about where the long term goal in a position lies means you automatically oppose that goal or idea and have some bad faith intention to undermine it.

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 22, 2018

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Kale posted:

I have absolutely no idea what that guy particularly stands for other than a Democratic party line vote.
He stands for: Boycotting Israel is illegal.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Want to have some fun, ask Siri How Old is Donald Trump

:nws:

https://mobile.twitter.com/verge/status/1065718041558818817

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 22, 2018

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

friendbot2000 posted:

Just a minor nitpick because I think in this instance specificity is important. It exists to control poor whites AND people of color.

The relationship between poor whites prior to these institutionalized contructs was very interesting. "Races" were more national i.e. Ireland etc. There actually are a lot of interesting parallels between Cromwells Ireland and the strategies used in the Colonies to divide and conquer between poor whites and slaves.

I read a series of articles of a settlement in the Dismal Swamp(Maryland) of poor whites and escaped slaves. Slavers tried to recapture them but the geography was so treacherous that they couldnt find them. I will see if I can dig it up.

While it did evolve into that, it wasn't necessary to control poor black people at the time with such subtlety, they had far more blunt and direct means to do so which they were more than willing to use.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Trump supporters on Thanksgiving.

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1065725550176727040

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The_Donald Thanksgiving

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Anyone who quotes this post with a picture of what they're cooking/eating for thanksgiving will get a nice happy new avatar.

it's all going to be the same avatar so i'll find a nice dog or something.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Anyone who quotes this post with a picture of what they're cooking/eating for thanksgiving will get a nice happy new avatar.

Turkey and American Chestnut Pudding

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Skex posted:

Counter point

The construct of race most certainly was fully formed by the time the U.S Constitution was framed the framework for white supremacy was established and codified into law in the colonies 100 years before the revolution began.

I don't see how this contradicts what I said? The Constitution was written in the 1780s, I said that the hierarchy of racial superiority was fully entrenched by 1750. 1600-1700 is when you see the racial codes and laws come into force as you posted, so I would say that in 1600 "race" as a modern person would understand it did not exist and in 1700 it did.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Prester Jane posted:

If it weren't Mitch McConnell it would be someone else. And the reason we're focused on incompetent leadership is because incompetent leadership hamstrings any actual resistance from taking place. You absolutely have to replace the incompetent leadership first before you can expect to really fight back. Until you replace that incompetent leadership nothing you do matters and will have no appreciable impact in the long-term. Sure, you may win a few short-term victories here and there, but so long as you have incompetent leadership you are ultimately destined for failure. 100%. No exceptions whatsoever.

None.

So when do you start insisting on replacing leftist leadership if they can't defeat the dem establishment? Or does this absolutely hardline rule only apply to liberals, because leftists are pure and good and faultless?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

So when do you start insisting on replacing leftist leadership if they can't defeat the dem establishment? Or does this absolutely hardline rule only apply to liberals, because leftists are pure and good and faultless?

they can defeat the dem establishment so this question is moot

but yes if leftist leaders were nazi-sympathizing dirtbags we would insist on replacing them too

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Fulchrum posted:

Yes, we should replace Bernie with Ocasio-Cortez as the leftist leader as soon as she turns 35

Edit: I'm also going to apply "Beto almost winning in Texas is a sign he was a better candidate than prior ones in Texas" logic to Bernie's loss in 2016

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 22, 2018

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm eating Thanksgiving alone in a bar and yet I'm somehow less pathetic than that poo poo jfc

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yinlock posted:

they can defeat the dem establishment so this question is moot

but yes if leftist leaders were nazi-sympathizing dirtbags we would insist on replacing them too

So if you think you can, and Schumer just retook leadership over the senate, then by your logic they chose to let Schumer be Senate Minority leader. Good to know Schumer is who leftists want as minority leader in the senate.

Also, Bernie thinks we need to be nice and compassionate to Nazis and not interrupt their meals. So where exactly is your insistence?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

Bernie thinks we need to be nice and compassionate to Nazis and not interrupt their meals. So where exactly is your insistence?

happy thanksgiving everyone

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

So this is what seeing a meltdown through quotes is like.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/CheriJacobus/status/1065722136030007296

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I made chili for friendsgiving.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

Bernie thinks we need to be nice and compassionate to Nazis and not interrupt their meals. So where exactly is your insistence?

I mean he's not giving nazis everything they want in exchange for nothing, so I'd say that's still a large step up from current dems

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I'm in the UK so we don't really do Thanksgiving, but I did think "huh, it's Thanksgiving in the states then" when I was reading this thread while cooking some bizarre sweet potato/chicken hash feast. It was pretty tasty.

Happy Thanksgiving amerigoons. I personally give thanks to the fact that brexit is going more down the shitter every day. Also thanks to you lot for keeping me abreast of American politics, and generally making me more left wing than I probably would have been.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The_Donald Thanksgiving

His hair looks like a tightly packed stack of pubes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

In all fairness, praying for the redemption of those who have done evil is a pretty ancient part of Christia- ahahahaha no they were praying the trouble would go away for this nice man.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The_Donald Thanksgiving

Tag yourself. I'm the dead vacant glare hovering above the pedostache.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Prester Jane posted:

I'm the hair that hasn't been washed in weeks.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Prester Jane posted:

I'm the unfinished basement filled with my parent's poo poo

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Prester Jane posted:

He's in a basement too.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
You’re all my drunk uncles this Thanksgiving. Jesus Christ.

Practice self care tonight. Eat the pie. Call an old friend. Pet a dog.

https://twitter.com/dogsolutions/status/1064248064070885377?s=21

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Yes I know the origin, I have a BA in Political Science I paid too much money for, thank you very much. :colbert:

Many of the so-called third world nations preferred terms like Non-Aligned (India led this movement IIRC). And beyond that "third world" has become a more-or-less derogatory term in modern parlance. They should probably update the name to something slightly less Cold War era. Especially if they're going to be running articles about how these dumb poor countries should just invite rich white bankers back in to run things. It's a bad look all around.

I love that we have so many polisci posters here (send us jobs please we're dying)

Yeah. I think you're going to get your wish tbh, that article was so loving bad that it looks like there might be a big shake up in the magazine

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

Turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole with crispy onion bits, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, rolls. I think I'm missing something. Happy turkey day USPOL!

I bought some cheap prosecco for today.
https://i.imgur.com/Fuz1kmW.mp4

Discount Dracula fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 23, 2018

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't see how this contradicts what I said? The Constitution was written in the 1780s, I said that the hierarchy of racial superiority was fully entrenched by 1750. 1600-1700 is when you see the racial codes and laws come into force as you posted, so I would say that in 1600 "race" as a modern person would understand it did not exist and in 1700 it did.

I guess my question is more what was your original point? My statement was that most people at the time were racist not that all people of the time were or that there was no push back. You accused me of presentism and mocked the "for their day" argument when weighing their decisions but for that to be the case there would have needed to be a substantial anti-racism movement at the time and there wasn't, even most of the critics of slavery at the time primarily favored resettling black slaves in Africa because they didn't think they could or should integrate with the American public which is a straight up racist opinion.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Deviled eggs (and a hairy arm)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

People mad at the caravans do believe it was funded by somebody Soros or not, and they were educated on what US asylum laws are. Mexican memes have all but made them out to be ungrateful people who have spurned donations of food and supplies to them by common Mexicans.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Skex posted:

I guess my question is more what was your original point? My statement was that most people at the time were racist not that all people of the time were or that there was no push back. You accused me of presentism and mocked the "for their day" argument when weighing their decisions but for that to be the case there would have needed to be a substantial anti-racism movement at the time and there wasn't, even most of the critics of slavery at the time primarily favored resettling black slaves in Africa because they didn't think they could or should integrate with the American public which is a straight up racist opinion.

I mean I wouldn't call it an "accusation," I was just pointing out that you said something to the effect of "everyone was racist back then" and it's a common rhetorical point to basically imply, perhaps not intentionally, that anti-racism is a purely modern concept and that race based caste systems were simply passively accepted by everyone until the mid-20th Century. I agree that many abolitionists of the period were indeed typically racist as well, and that racism and race-based caste systems are complicated.

I guess I didn't have any kind of strong sweeping point, I was using your post to present a thing for the thread to think about. :shrug:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Prester Jane posted:

I'm Jeff Sessions weeping in the corner because I can't prosecute this guy for smoking weed anymore.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

An ironically appropriate story for Thanksgiving:
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1065526167720026112

You may have seen stories about the North Sentinelese before, they're the dudes who shot arrows at a helicopter that came to check if the tribe survived the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake/tsunami.

We know basically nothing about the tribe (not even the language they speak) because this is how they've reacted to every attempt at contact. The Indian Government has even passed a law that places a 3 mile exclusion zone around the island and bans all contact for both the safety of the islanders and to keep idiot missionaries from doing exactly what this guy did.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 23, 2018

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

That's helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Saladin Rising posted:

An ironically appropriate story for Thanksgiving:
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1065526167720026112

Dr. Jones, no!