Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

T_D celebrates Thanksgiving

These people sound lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/ColinKahl/status/1065756721405059072

Trump’s going to give the Saudis nuclear weapons lol

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

Uh hey Crow Jane sorry if this is inappropriate but your dad had it going ON, dang (Also goondolences)

Crow Janes dad has become the new microwaves mom.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Saladin Rising posted:

An ironically appropriate story for Thanksgiving:
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1065526167720026112

You may have seen stories about the North Sentinelese before, they're the dudes who shot arrows at a helicopter that came to check if the tribe survived the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake/tsunami.

We know basically nothing about the tribe (not even the language they speak) because this is how they've reacted to every attempt at contact. The Indian Government has even passed a law that places a 3 mile exclusion zone around the island and bans all contact for both the safety of the islanders and to keep idiot missionaries from doing exactly what this guy did.

I am Thankful for this news!

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

I share this every year and it feels like it gets more and more relevant as long as Trump is president.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLSveRGmpIE

Thank you for the reminder. Always relevant as long as manifest destiny remains relevant.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Party Plane Jones posted:

Anyone who quotes this post with a picture of what they're cooking/eating for thanksgiving will get a nice happy new avatar.

it's all going to be the same avatar so i'll find a nice dog or something.

I conscientiously object to participating in this glorification of whitewashing of American colonial history, especially in such a stereotypical Millennial manner that results in poor opsec and makes doxxing of leftist users that much easier.

For this year, I am thankful for a continued atmosphere of hatred and rage as it has sustained and nourished me when I would otherwise have no reason to keep going, and I sincerely hope it never ends for I find it endlessly entertaining and satisfying.

In summation, gently caress Trump and pumpkin pie.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Ms Adequate posted:

Uh hey Crow Jane sorry if this is inappropriate but your dad had it going ON, dang (Also goondolences)

No offense taken. He was old and Gandalf-bearded for most of my life, him looking like a runway model as a young'un is both hilarious and weirdly heartwarming for me.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I will spend today doing my traditional "wonder how the gently caress every single person in my family, spouse included, is 3000+ miles away on Thanksgiving" ponder as I drink wine and eat a turkey sandwich. I do not want a new avatar, though, so didn't quote anything.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Anyone who quotes this post with a picture of what they're cooking/eating for thanksgiving will get a nice happy new avatar.

https://imgur.com/a/AEM4QWM

Well, we don’t have thanksgiving here, but this is seaside breakfast with my wife, and I think being mindful of what good fortune we may all have is good practice.

I’m infinitely thankful to have the opportunities I do have, and that I am lucky enough to have a job where I get to help people in need, and enjoy little luxuries, like seaside breakfasts on a Friday morning.

Happy thanksgiving, Goons.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
This appeared on my FB feed tonight (sorry if it was posted here already):

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a...kxlQBDsZEvHl8o0

After reading, I couldn't decide witch faction ITT, left or right, would react thusly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2xlQaimsGg

Thanksfulness?

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

You could open the borders tomorrow and the nonwhites aren't going to flood into your country, good lord.

America had a more or less completely open border with Mexico until 1965 and there wasn't a mass migration of Mexicans coming to steal white people's jobs and benefits

Not even the 60s, when I was young - even up to before the 2000s - you could just walk across the loving border and some dude at a desk would ask you if you're American, without checking ID. Things have changed rapidly and not because migrant hordes have been trying to steal our Democracy (migration has been in steady decline for decades, if I recall correctly). Anyone who thinks borders need to be heavily patrolled or whatever have bought into the fear the fascists have pushed on us so they can spend a bunch of their tax money on bullshit while restricting their rights.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I conscientiously object to participating in this glorification of whitewashing of American colonial history, especially in such a stereotypical Millennial manner that results in poor opsec and makes doxxing of leftist users that much easier.

For this year, I am thankful for a continued atmosphere of hatred and rage as it has sustained and nourished me when I would otherwise have no reason to keep going, and I sincerely hope it never ends for I find it endlessly entertaining and satisfying.

In summation, gently caress Trump and pumpkin pie.

The gently caress

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Otteration posted:

This appeared on my FB feed tonight (sorry if it was posted here already):

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a...kxlQBDsZEvHl8o0

I don't usually say this, but...who could possibly care?:nallears: Like, good for her, I guess? $7,000 doesn't seem like all that much, so I don't know why leftists would react badly to this, in your estimation.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i already had dinner a long time ago, and i'm far from my family so no thanksgiving celebration for me :(

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Ytlaya posted:

I don't really get how anyone can make a comment like this and expect to be taken seriously. Even if you disagree with the left's goals, or think that they should fully support any Democrat, the stuff they are asking for is not even remotely radical. Like, the absolute left-most fringe in US politics is milquetoast social democratic policies. This is literally the bare minimum that would actually constitute a substantive improvement. Like, it's hard to think of any explanation for this sort of comment other than either ignorance or malice.

Basically, there are only two ways you can approach this topic. Either you can prove that supporting these ideas will lead to Democrats losing when they would have otherwise won, or you can explain why you think the policies themselves are bad. There is no burden on the left to prove that their ideas will win, since they believe they're intrinsically good and the status quo is one where Democrats already lose all the time. If one thinks left-wing ideas are good, supporting them should be the default, and evidence should be required for why supporting them would be harmful. And if you think they aren't good, well, maybe you should be making that argument instead.

These discussions are always kind of a pain in the rear end, because you guys talk in circles around what you really mean.

See I think the problem is that what you are describing is pretty much the loving Democratic Platform and what you are ignoring is that the vast majority of Democrats do support exactly those policies, it's just hard to loving implement them when you look at the forces arrayed in opposition. I mean you do understand that we're not the ones personally selecting these representatives right?

I mean seriously you will sit here and tell me how the Democrats are accomplishing nothing, that they're all a bunch of crooked centrists just paying lip service to the ideas that they put in their platform. I mean I get that the fact that 2008 didn't result in more extreme and more effective change is depressing and demoralizing, but it's hardly surprising and let's be real clear here, a huge part of why Obama didn't accomplish more of his platform was because he didn't have the support in Congress and then when it really mattered in 2010 his supporters didn't show the up and the Republicans took the house and broke the Democrats ability to pass laws.

That's why the refrain is more and better Democrats. that second part of the statement is important. If you want better policy you need better representatives. You have to make it clear to those who exist that they will be held to account for their choices, however sitting home on your hands doesn't do that.

In politics it's the people who show up who get their way. You complain that the Democrats don't act like the Republicans and pander to their base, but you gloss over that very important key in the Republican's strategy, they vote consistently. They vote for their preferred candidate in the primary but if they don't win it, they still loving support the Republican.

That consistency gives them power. If the Left voted with the same intensity and consistency that the Right does the Democrats would move. In fact there is plenty of evidence that they are moving. As I've said before the simple fact that MFA is a loving litmus test for Democrats is a huge loving shift in the Overton window. Yet we have you here constantly telling us that not only has tactical voting (love in primary, Dem in the general) has only resulted in the Democrats actively making things worse.

I promise you that not a single serious Democrat would have uttered the words Medicare for All 10 years ago. Hell that's why they called it the Public Option instead and OMG have I mentioned seeing the loving olds at the counter protests to the healthcare rallies that I attended in 2009 who were carrying signs that read "Keep your government hands off my Medicare" I'm not loving kidding.

Now here we are in 2018 every Democrat angling for the 2020 nomination is openly expressing support for MFA and there are serious conversations happening about UBI. They loving killed MLK when he started talking about a universal basic income and yet you come in here and tell me that no progress has occurred.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

I don't usually say this, but...who could possibly care?:nallears: Like, good for her, I guess? $7,000 doesn't seem like all that much, so I don't know why leftists would react badly to this, in your estimation.

I don't care (actually, I do: good for her!). But maybe lot's of nitpicks on both sides maybe, is all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

T_D celebrates Thanksgiving

It must be sad if you’re life is just lovely child like douchey spite. Thankfully my thanksgiving was relatively non political outside near the end where my twin uncles started gurgling about the lazy poors and my aunt talking about how lazy my generation is and how we won’t build a tax base.

highme
May 25, 2001

3 different cannabis tinctures.

highme fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 23, 2018

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

highme posted:

https://i.imgur.com/RTLF9Yml.jpg

It's a bold choice but I'll allow it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

highme posted:

https://i.imgur.com/RTLF9Yml.jpg

"Tincture" should be a probatable word to use unironically.

That said, that looks pretty baller.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Skex posted:

In politics it's the people who show up who get their way.

Yeah, the people who show up with money

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Carnitas were made, carnitas were eaten:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Happy Thanksgiving, D&D.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

DaveWoo posted:

Seriously, gently caress the Trump administation

"Oh, we can't let North Korea have nuclear weapons even though they're absolutely not going to use them unless their regime is threatened, but let's give it to the Saudi's - THEY'RE the most trustworthy"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

And not just give them nukes, but also, you know, do so in a manner that's pretty flagrantly in violation of the NPT.

I'm sure Iran will be totally fine with this.

e: lol Christ:

https://twitter.com/IL4Hillary/status/1065713515523006464

Majorian fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 23, 2018

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Majorian posted:

I'm sure Iran will be totally fine with this.

Ah, but you see if Iran is threatened by a nuclear Saudi Arabia they will feel compelled to accelerate their own nuclear program.

The Trump administration loves this because having an excuse to kill a million Iranians makes John Bolton rock loving hard.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Ah, but you see if Iran is threatened by a nuclear Saudi Arabia they will feel compelled to accelerate their own nuclear program.

The Trump administration loves this because having an excuse to kill a million Iranians makes John Bolton rock loving hard.

I'm amazed that the Saudis don't see how incredibly dangerous this game is to them though.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Lol war with Iran would be a loving disaster of monumental proportions.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

J.A.B.C. posted:

- If you get into a discussion, an easy out is to find the youngest kid and ask them about things. Is the food good? Are you having fun? By the time you finish you'll have gained enough airtime that you can reboot the discussion or they have moved on.

I tried this and my 10 year old cousin started asked me what 'taxation without representation' means because her dad rants about it all the time and when i tried to explain as neutrally as possible she immediately asked why dc doesn't get to have a senator and :goleft:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cutoff for this is gonna be midnight EST, I got everybody up to this post.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

DaveWoo posted:

When asked why, the giant irradiated mutant scorpion replied, "it is in my nature."

Vogon Poetry Slam
Nov 13, 2016

Thanksgiving dinner with Mrs. Poetry Slam! Ribeye, Brussels sprouts, twice baked potatoes.

Vogon Poetry Slam fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 23, 2018

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Majorian posted:

I'm amazed that the Saudis don't see how incredibly dangerous this game is to them though.

Throwing money at the problem has always worked before, why stop now?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1065791214715379718?s=19

AOC gives me hope.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/QqbLBoY.jpg

Cutoff for this is gonna be midnight EST, I got everybody up to this post.

NO DON'T YOU DARE LEAVE ME

NOT NOW

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 23, 2018

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

GoutPatrol posted:

Throwing money at the problem has always worked before, why stop now?

Also MBS in particular doesn't really seem like the type that really deeply considers the consequences other nations might impose for his actions.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

We should hang all the bankers and burn Wall Street to the ground. However in this case I will support the lesser evil.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Willo567 posted:

Seriously, gently caress the Trump administation

"Oh, we can't let North Korea have nuclear weapons even though they're absolutely not going to use them unless their regime is threatened, but let's give it to the Saudi's - THEY'RE the most trustworthy"

tbf this is not unique to the trump admin, basically every major world power is taking fat saudi bribes and letting them get away with p. much anything

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

We're bedding down for the night and I didn't see this soon enough to take pics! I asked my six year old daughter to write down what we ate at our tiny dinner, and humbly submit this as evidence of our meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Since pie is being offered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB-mdaUcLak&t=254s

(4:14 if the time link doesn't work for you, though eat it all up, if you must).