Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Darth TNT posted:

you know what warcraft 3 needs? More retcons.

The lore updates in the original will be glorious

Jaina’s honkers will end up bigger than the gaudiest shoulderguards, if they keep inflating them like that every revision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Torrannor posted:

Let's see how they do it. Changing Stratholme's architecture to be more in line with "modern"/WOW-like human architecture is fine. Some parts of the story and characters have been retconned by WOW and the books anyway, I'm curious if the overall tone of WC3 will be conserved.

Well, in the Blizzcon demo of The Culling map, all the original audio was preserved from WC3. The big thing that changed was the layout of the map itself was changed around, the shape and layout of the city was made more like WoW's Stratholme, and Arthas' base is to the south, rather than the northeast. Hard to say what else they might change, but that's the main thing I'm anticipating - redesigned map geography to better match current designs.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

THE BAR posted:

Jaina’s honkers will end up bigger than the gaudiest shoulderguards, if they keep inflating them like that every revision.

I'm REALLY hoping they don't put jiggle physics in. She's already uncanny valley as it is. (also wish it was an upgrade if you already had WC3 but ehhh don't wanna pay thirty bucks for a game I already have on Blizznet)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

wedgekree posted:

I'm REALLY hoping they don't put jiggle physics in. She's already uncanny valley as it is. (also wish it was an upgrade if you already had WC3 but ehhh don't wanna pay thirty bucks for a game I already have on Blizznet)

Also remember, that it doesn't come with TFT, from what I can see.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

THE BAR posted:

?????

playwarcraft3 posted:

Relive the events of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

THE BAR posted:

Pretty sure it's going to.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

wedgekree posted:

Jaina's current outfit looks really good imho, and is much less skimpy. It's just strange that they decided to increase her breast size, since this is otherwise the least sexy outfit she's ever worn.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

McTimmy posted:

Relive the events of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne.

Never said I was good at reading!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Torrannor posted:

Jaina's current outfit looks really good imho, and is much less skimpy. It's just strange that they decided to increase her breast size, since this is otherwise the least sexy outfit she's ever worn.

Lol the bar is that low

I am Arthas' small head and long neck btw

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

He is quarter-giraffe.

wedgekree posted:

Only 30 bucks? That's less than what I was assuming.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Poil posted:

He is quarter-giraffe.

Only 30 bucks? That's less than what I was assuming.

40 bucks for the special edition with the typical other blizzard games' goodies.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, but those are always a rip off.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, but those are always a rip off.

Meat Wagon mount, though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Meat Wagon mount, though.

With working catapult as well.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
You mean death wagon!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

But that's the wrong wagon in this case. We have no idea what they would call the Scourge catapults yet.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Undeath Wagon.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Meatapult?

I mean, if they're gonna insist on calling it the wrong name... they already use Death-wagon for catapults, so...

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

Sum Mors posted:

Undeath Wagon.

Dead Wagon! :v:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Party Bus

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

: Useless scrap that can't kill anyone. I don't even have a name for these pitiful excuses of death wagons.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Act 3: War in the Shadows

Episode 19: Deathwing or Expecting Company

Mission Briefing

: For the record, I am only along for this because you literally cannot do this without me, Khadgar.

: Noted.

: Now we must make haste. Though the skull of Gul'dan is in the dragon's clutches, I know not what he intends to use it for.

: Same thing that anyone else would use it for: drinking out of.

: ...

: What.

: It's nothing. Again, I cannot stress enough that we must do this quickly. I'm certain that the man that General Turalyon sent along is eager to begin as well.

Elsewhere...

: Fire th' cannons! Blast away th' poop decks! Make 'em pray ta their mothers!

: Bein' a pirate is th' best job there is.

Back aboard Khadgar and Alleria's ship...

: And while I appreciate that you didn't bring the old human along for the mission, why him?

: General Turalyon assured me that the dwarf was a famed dragon hunter in the Second War.

: That dwarf was a griffon rider? He doesn't have the look of a Wildhammer.

: People can surprise you, Alleria. Hail, Sir Firefist!

: 'Oi! Archmageboy! Check this out!

: Oof! Wouldja lookit tha'?! Right through th' dirty bastard!

: Oh, yeah. People can certainly surprise you, Khadgar.

: Were these not orcs and trolls, I feel as though this would constitute a war crime.

: Pfft. Ye call tha' a war crime? We need ta get ye out o' yer ivory tower sometime.

: It's a violet citadel, actually.

: By the gods, I already hate every part of this.

: We've got more-

: ...trolls.

: A clean blow through the heart. Not bad, old man.

: My spells are not meant for displacing water and tilling fields.

: I know, I know. You studied under the mad mage, himself. Now, if you'll focus on the battle at hand.

This is our first mission with Khadgar! And he DOESN'T suck. Remember my complaints about Gorefiend being just another death knight with slightly more hit points? You would think that Khadgar got the same treatment, but no. Instead they gave him a whopping 6 range! This puts him just behind Alleria (who, if you remember, is the most ridiculous sniper) and only 2 points behind the catapult death wagon and ballista. And to round things out, they gave him some beefier damage. He's not a pushover.

: Uuh, I can't help but notice all o' these orcs dyin' 'afore I can get ta 'em.

: Maybe if you didn't have knees that started two inches above your feet.

: Joke's on you, Lady Alleria, I didn't get tha' insult!

: You two must keep vigilant. You realize why we're here, right?

: Collectin' skulls!

: He's not wrong in a way, however- Khadgar, look!

: By the Light. Those are our men! How long have they been here?

: Judging by their appearances... well, it's good we showed up.

: Is there a grouchy lookin' wizard in there? Looks pissy all the time, never combs his drat hair?

: I'm sorry, Sir Firefist, but I do not see your friend among these prisoners.

: Aye, tha's alright... I'm sure tha' mageboy is doin' jus' fine.

: Your friend was... Marian Ravigaz?

: Haha... Marian... I mean, aye, yes, my friend is Lord Ravigaz.

: While I don't recall his lordship, I did know of Marian during my time in Dalaran.

: Aye, ol' purple robes was a member of the Kirin Tor, right?

: Marian? No, no... he was there for... disciplinary reasons.

: Drinkin' on th' job? Tha's jus' like 'im.

: Were it only that simple. However, it does seem as though he's since cleaned up his act.

: Oh, not at all. He drinks like a fish.

: That's not-

: If fish drank water. An' tha' water were booze. But, like, ya needed tha' booze ta breathe?

: I never did like tha' sayin'.

: Sir Firefist, it's just that-

: Leave it, Khadgar. Let the dwarf do what the dwarf will do.

Let's pause here and talk about this map. You may be thinking, "Oh, just like those other maps: use your forces, take a base, build up, and then advance." However, there's a pretty big difference here! You can only build a few select buildings: Town Hall, Farm, Lumber Mill, and Shipyard. You'll note that it leaves out any way to produce units outside of the Shipyard. That means the few units you have are it for the remainder of the mission. Thankfully, Khadgar and the paladins all come with their full compliment of spells (sans Polymorph and Holy Vision), so you don't have to worry about them going unprepared. There's also one other caveat to this map...

: Men! To arms!

: Sir Firefirst, now's your chance!

: Fer what?!

: You're a dragonslayer aren't you?

: I mean... yeah, but ya gotta get 'em on th' ground first! ...or th' ocean. I ain't picky.

: A useless dwarf. I am shocked. This is my shocked face.

: Tha' joke doesn't work in this format!

Yeah, the other caveat about this map is that you're going to be facing A LOT of dragons. As a matter of fact, dragons are going to spawning at a near constant rate to wear you down. Alleria and Khadgar do a fine job in taking them out of the sky, but you have to rush along to make sure to don't get ground down by the endless barrage of fireballs.

: I don't understand. I was told that you specialize in killing dragons.

: Common misconception. I specialize in killin' everythin'. Dragons jus' happen ta be a part o' everythin'.

: Oh, for the love of-

: Do you know why we're here, Ruku?

: Aye. Skull collectin'.

I mean it. These dragons are everywhere.

Thankfully, destroyers are pretty good at handling them.

: We're here, dwarf, to steal the skull of Gul'dan from -dammit!- the dragon Deathwing.

: Oh, issat all?

: Are you serious? Khadgar, is he serious?

Setting up a roving band of archers to handle the dragons is vital, but moreso than that is making sure your paladins keep them topped off whenever possible.

: Sir Firefist, we are going to be going through enemy territory, facing down numerous clans, all to steal from the most powerful dragon that Azeroth has ever seen. We assumed that you would be able to provide some expertise in this matter.

: Aye, well o' course I can do tha'. Have ye thought about jus' killin' th' bastard?

: ...

Another moment here to talk about these slight anomaly of a map. Once you have your little staging area, your next step is to move on to mainland in the north. However, you're definitely going to want to bring some destroyers along, which necessitates...

...building a lot of farms. This is the bottleneck of the mission. You're throwing together farms to create destroyers to guard your passage north while fending off the dragon attacks. This also means...

...you need oil! So once you can get enough supply, you have to start up your naval capabilities so you can get the ball rolling. I won't lie, this is actually a pretty well thought out application of the basics forming the crux of this whole mission. I do kind of like this map. Even if it is a bit tedious.

: ...and tha's my plan ta kill Deathwhatever.

: Sir Firefist...

: Your plan is literally "giveh meh an' axe ahn' lemmeh hit thaa basterd."

: First off, tha' impression o' me is spot on. Secondly...

: Kill th' drat dragon!

: How are you supposed to "kill Deathwing" if you can't even take out one of these whelps?

: I'll figure it out!

: Enough. We're here to take the skull of Gul'dan and nothing more. Without it, we may not be able to close the portal that links our two worlds.

: ...we're all going to die and it's going to be your fault.

: Pfft... like yer th' first person ta say tha' to me.

: We don't know the lay of the land here yet, so when we disembark-

: Kill anythin' tha' moves.

: That is not what I was going to say.

: I don't think it's a bad policy to have, Khadgar.

: We're letting our navies lead. They'll open a path for us. Hopefully we'll find dry land to begin our hunt.

: Y'know, if I knew this job was goin' ta be so borin', I dun think I'd have agreed ta come so quickly.

: It was a direct order from high command.

: Haha, ye think tha' I take orders. Tha's rich.

: Our forces have met theirs. We must move fast!

That juggernaut right there? That's why you want the extra destroyers.

: drat dirty orcs still usin' my designs.

: What are you mumbling about?

: 'OI! AIM FER TH' drat RUDDERS! THEY AIN'T THA' STABLE!

: Well done, Sir Firefist.

: Not that impressive. Do it with an arrow and then we'll talk.

: Brace yourselves. The real work begins now.

: Finally.

: Remain cautious. We can't afford any losses this far from our main forces.

: CHAAAAAARGE!

: This is chaos! Sir Firefist, what is going on?!

: CHAOS! HAHAHAHA!

: Archmage, care to grace us with some of that Kirin Tor razzle-dazzle?

: If I must.

: Phewww... watchin' it rain ice on a buncha' orcs on an alien planet. I always knew I'd end up doin' this with my life.

: With that taken care of, we should make our way through these passes.

: They're... uh, awfully spiky aren't they?

: I thought that you had some sort of trump card to help us out here, Khadgar.

: Patience, Alleria. There are numerous factions at play here.

: Did th' dead risin' up factor into yer plans at all, archmageboy?

: It's no matter. The paladins can simply exorcise the creatu-

: CHARGE!

: There are ways to handle these sorts of things.

: Magic is boring.

: Aye, th' mighty Fist o' Firefist boys barely bother with it.

: Besides, we have so many more undead to deal with.

Skeletons are still not a threat. Ever. I mean, if they were ever used in a way that utilized their weakness in an interesting way, I would be all for skeletons. However, in every map they show up, they are speed bumps. (Though an argument for the Tomb of Sargeras can definitely be made.)

: I am actually bored of fightin'.

: We agree on something, dwarf.

: Aw, gross! This skele-man has all his meat on him still!

: An orc this far in gronn territory?

: I'm sorry, what territory?

: It can only mean...

: More prisoners.

: Keep your eyes peeled for Marian!

: Allow me to handle this.

: I personally like th' way tha' ye melt all th' fat off th' ogre. Ogres? Huh. If'n ye got two heads, what should I call ye?

: Abomination.

: Yer snarky, Lady Alleria, an' I can appreciate tha'.

: I'm sorry, Sir Firefirst, but I did not see your friend among the captives.

: Hmm? Th' what now? I'm sorry, I was focusin' on other matters.

: Are we here to get the skull or look for this mage? Come on already.

Seriously, these skeletons go down so quickly that it's hard to even screenshot their death.

: Sir Firefist, could you scout ahead for us?

: Aye, aye. What am I lookin' fer?

: Something large. And angry.

: ...Y'know, I much prefer the "surly wizard" schtick ov'r th' "mysterious, cryptic wizard" one.

: We've got some fortifications and some more captured men and...

: WILD'AMMER.

: Kurdran's here? We might have a shot, Khadgar!

: Lady Windrunner, dragon!

: Tch! Could today get any worse?

Back at base camp...

Have I mentioned that you definitely have to abandon this little base?

Back in the Blade's Edge Mountains...

: I mean, really. My life is the worst.

: I'll take care of these fortifications. Sir Firefist, ready the men for a charge.

: We're not breakin' out tha' dirty Wild'ammer are we?

: Watch your tongue, dwarf. That's Kurdran Wildhammer, thane of the Wildhammer clan.

: Tha' makes it worse!

: Silence, you two! We shall be freeing Thane Wildhammer, and I shall hear nothing to the contrary. Now, if you'll excuse me...

: I shall deal with these undead.

: Tha' was terrible!

: What?

: Y'need somethin' like... "Time ta put these skeletons... on ice." or, or, or... "I'm gonna give ye th'... cold shoulder!"

: Khadgar, I could kill him and no one would know.

: Wait, wait, wait! "Why don't ye bastards... chill!" Gahahahaha!

: One arrow. Back of the head. No one notices a dead dwarf.

: drat it all, I was certain that the gronn should have showed up by now.

: The WHAT?

: Hail, Thane Wildhammer!

: Well, it's about bloody drat time. Been here fer nearly a fortnight!

: Pfft. Th' stupid bastard doesn't even know how ta talk like a proper dwarf.

: Sir Firefist, if you could scout out the passage ahead, while we catch up with our friend here...

: Feh! Fine, fine..."Hell's about ta... freeze over!" Heheh...

: Why are you this deep inta th' Blade's Edge, mage? Ye been pushed back this far, have ye?

: The Alliance is going to require your aid, Thane. Though I think it will be of interest to you...

Within the spires of the Blade's Edge Mountains...

: Aw, Nether, wha's tha'? Piles o' gold an'... eggs?

: Oh... oh... ooooohhh... I should tell th' archmage about this...

: *ROOOOOAAAAAAR!*

: drat! drat! drat!

: Your "friend" isn't arriving, Khadgar! We need to take this into our own hands!

: Patience, Alleria.

: Inta position, lads!

This mission has you killing Deathwing. This is not an easy task and requires you to prepare things a little bit before you throw Kurdran into the dragon's maw. Specifically having your archers lined up and within range while Kurdran pulls Deathwing back to them. You're going to want your paladins ready to heal up your troops quickly, since every arrow counts (and losing Alleria, Khadgar, or Kurdran at this point still ends with a loss).

: Ah've got this 'un!

: Insolent little dwarf. How you seek only to rush to the oblivion that awaits all of your kind.

: 'Oi! Ye want ta dodge th' gouts o' fire, ye daft Wild'ammer!

: I'm sorry, lad, but where's yer gryphon?

: Ruku Firefist needs no gryphon!

: Ruku Firefist? ...Th' rear end Beat'r?

: drat straight, ye dirty bird lover!

: Fire!

: drat it! Where is Gruul? We had a deal.

: HRRRRNNNNNN...

: Oh...

: ...my...

: HOLY FUCKIN' HELL, WHAT THE gently caress IS THA'?!

: An ally of convenience. Now quickly, Thane Wildhammer, we require that skull!

: Ye dun have ta ask me twice. Skyree dun want ta be near tha' thing a second longer.

: Huh...

: So Ruku th' rear end Beat'r shows his face again after all these years...

: Alright, so-

: *ROOOOOAAAAAAR!*

: DIE, DRAGON! THIS GRUUL'S LAND!

: LET'S GET THE gently caress OUTTA HERE! COME ON!

Azzur fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 1, 2019

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Very much looking forward to reading how Ruku the rear end Beat'r got his title :allears:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
You know what makes a good Thanksgiving even better?

The return update of a great long-absent LP, and it explores a level that was one of my favorites (largely for the challenge) back when I had and played the game.

I'm thankful for you, Azzur.

I'm also thankful for lines like Alleria's at the start of the update. Funny and true! And Pirate Ruku is as always great. Khadgar too.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

Very much looking forward to reading how Ruku the rear end Beat'r got his title :allears:

We already know, actually.

Mercenary in a civil war.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The banter in this mission was dead on. I think it might well have been some of the best since the LP started. Alleria is a delightfully savage elf.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Another option, if you still have a good supply of Destroyers alive, is to try to lure Deathwing into THEM. Deathwing or no, Destroyers are good at blowing up air units. It's just a matter of trying to avoid him leashing back to his lair in the process, which he tends to do.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

NewMars posted:

We already know, actually.

Mercenary in a civil war.

I'm glad that Ruku's moral compass is well remembered! Th' rear end Beat'r rides again!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Another option, if you still have a good supply of Destroyers alive, is to try to lure Deathwing into THEM. Deathwing or no, Destroyers are good at blowing up air units. It's just a matter of trying to avoid him leashing back to his lair in the process, which he tends to do.

THIS I didn't think of. Deathwing is such a surprisingly difficult encounter just because he is so much more ridiculously overtuned than Kurdran. It's a fun little map that makes the heroes feel so important in taking down this massive threat.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Is this the “death” that results in Deathwing having a jaw and underbelly made of sheet metal?

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Mors Rattus posted:

Is this the “death” that results in Deathwing having a jaw and underbelly made of sheet metal?

Good news! It's entirely unclear!

The jaw could have come post-Dragon Aspects beating him up (which would make my drawings accurate) or post-flight back to Azeroth (spoilers: Deathwing survives this and even leaves Draenor! What?!). Also this would make me have to go back and fix a bunch of drawings and talking heads. Which I would totally do if there's a legitimate answer before this gets archived.

Because I have that certain strain of bizarre nerd madness...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is... this where Khadgar learned how to dad joke?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mors Rattus posted:

He might have needed more, but in WoW: Legion we see a vision were Huln Highmountain (hulking Tauren warrior who slaughtered so many demons during the Sundering that the demigod Cenaurion himself blessed the fellow, giving him and all of his descendants moose antlers) was talking to a Drogbar (think giant, hunchback earthen troll with crystals coming out of his back) about how the Drogbar were being forced to strap metal armor to Deathwing. The set of visions shown to the player is a set if scenes taken soon after the Burning Legion invasion was repelled and everyone was cleaning up. In Huln's case is was sneaking into the very lair of Deathwing, stealing a titan artifact with enough Earth-juju in it that it can bitchslap the very Dragon Aspect of Earth himself and using it to evict Deathwing from his lair (and in the process free the Drogbar).

So basically that's a lot of words to say that in the latest iteration of Warcraft's lore, Drogbar were stitching goblin-made plates of armor onto Neltharion/Deathwing 9,999 years ago. So Azzur can rest easy on not having to go back and redo a bunch of art.

Also, Deathwing surviving this little kerfluffle is less of a surprise after Cataclysm where the combined might of the Alliance and Horde had to pull not one but something like three or four Hail Mary plays out of their rear end, each increasingly more desperate than the last, to finally kill the dragon. At least one stage had Deathwing and his armor basically no-sell a Death Star powerful planet cracking magic laser.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 24, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I recall the WC2-BtDP manual mentioned the Horde grafting metal armor to Deathwing. Of course Warcraft lore has been updated quite a bit since then.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

achtungnight posted:

I recall the WC2-BtDP manual mentioned the Horde grafting metal armor to Deathwing. Of course Warcraft lore has been updated quite a bit since then.

He definitely had the adamantine plates by then, but growing up I never pictured Deathwing with a big ol' honkin' metal jaw until Cataclysm came around. To make matters slightly more confusing, the trailer opened with Deathwing getting those plates attached by in "present day" Azeroth. I mean, I think it's fairly well assumed that he just needed to get the plates rotated out every so often, but it still leaves us with a mostly foggy idea of when exactly the jaw came about.

I've already gone and retconned all the memories from my childhood, so he's got a big metal jaw now!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I can recall three separate instances of people grafting metal plates on Deathwing. It's probably like a trip to the barber shop for him.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It’s more that as he took more damage over the years after his betrayal, his body became more destabilized due to a combination of that and the Old Gods loving around with his head more and more while he was recuperating in between thrashings. By the time he made his grand reentrance, pretty much everything that wasn’t his wings was replaced by metal plates just barely holding him together, and he was largely reduced to a glorified battering ram.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

It's been while since we saw Deathwing's stats, so I pulled up the numbers for a comparison:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's a pretty big difference. But the Alliance has heals, which is a big deal.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
Yeah, on the one map that you have Deathwing, he's going to go down before long if you're using him a lot. If you've got Kurdran for a map, you can keep healing him up an keep him in the fight.

But it also cemented the mythos of Deathwing in my head as a kid for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The thing to keep in mind when looking at any Dragon lore in Warcraft 2, is that until the Day of the Dragon novel by Richard Knaak released in 2001, Dragons weren't much more than powerful, intelligent beasts. It was Knaak's novel that basically single-handedly gave us the Dragon lore as we know it today, with the Aspects, and the different Dragonflights.

In fact, the cancelled Warcraft Adventures game with Thrall actually portrayed Deathwing as Alexstrasza's unruly, rebellious son, and Thrall is tasked with killing him by Alexstrasza herself, who is portrayed as much more vicious and sinister, as befitting a Dragonqueen who is not an Aspect of Life, but simply the queen of a race of powerful, intelligent beasts. A task he accomplishes.

So at this point, anything the Warcraft 2 stuff says about Deathwing and his plates are to be taken with a grain of salt. The original Adamantium armor was indeed created by Goblins, but in the aftermath of the War of the Ancients, not during the Second War, and it was done because his corruption and power were ripping his body apart - the armor was to hold him together, and it was attached by the Drogbar.

Eventually, his armor was upgraded and reinforced by the Twilight's Hammer, replacing the Adamantium Steel with Elementium.