Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Man that's tough; in some couples, your partner is your buffer against the craziness of their own extended family. It seems like she lost her buffer, and the anger of losing her husband combined with her pent-up anger at her husband's parents for past mistreatment got all mixed up and things exploded.

Grief manifests in weird-rear end ways and they both just exploded the anger of it all at one another. This could be a growing experience where they connect with one another, if one party just let go and stepped forward to apologize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Theophany posted:

Need help with complications: Wife accidentally pregnant with live-in boyfriend's child.

I am a 31 year old Male and have been married for 12 years

1. Don't get married at 19

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
From Savage Love:

quote:

My small bedroom window looks DIRECTLY into my neighbor's kitchen, living room, and bathroom. We're close enough that their apartment takes up my entire view—I literally can't look out my window without looking into their apartment. (Happy to send you a photo, if you doubt how obtrusive this apartment is.)

Three years ago, a poly couple moved in, took down the existing shades, and never replaced them. Since then, I've been forced into being a part of their lives: from exposure to the most mundane activities (cooking and watching TV) to the most personal (bowel movements, spanking sessions, showers, fights, pubic hair maintenance routines, and a never-ending stream of sex partners).

The couple once crashed a party at my house and when I was chatting with them I mentioned how much I could see into their place. When I took them upstairs to show them, they acknowledged that I have a surprisingly excellent view, but then laughed and told me they were poly exhibitionists. Then they laughed and made comments about how much weed I smoke and what my daily routines are. I laughed too, feeling SUPER awkward and gross, but not knowing how to respond. That was two years ago and I'm still forced to watch them, day in and day out.

I try not to pay them any attention, but it's basically impossible, unless I keep my own curtains closed all the time. I do keep them closed as much as possible, but I don't want me or my plants to have to live in darkness, just because these fuckers think everyone wants to watch them gently caress.

I'm not a prude, Dan; I have my own kinks and I frequently refer to myself as a "pervert." But I'm not at all interested in being ANY part of their lives, most especially their sexcapades, which I never consented to being a part of. My privacy is INCREDIBLY important to me and I'm angry that they don't care to do their part to respect it. Even more gross, I worry that they're getting off on watching me.

Am I wrong to be mad about this? Am I solely responsible for protecting my privacy and theirs, simply because I'm the only one bothered by it? Aren't having & using curtains part the unwritten rules of urban decorum? And shouldn't exhibitionists be expected to get consent from the people watching them? Is there anything I can do about this, other than stew in my own resentment?

loving Over It

The best part of Dan's response:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkO0AUUfPH0

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
What's Air BnB's advantage in stubbornly leaving a listing up if they keep having to refund the money and put up in a hotel everyone that uses it?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Also, it's probably a long shot but you might be able to get custody of your kids if you take the 'my wife is an outrageous slut' tack.

She'll show up with her baby bump and her boyfriend and bam primary custody.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

tactlessbastard posted:

Also, it's probably a long shot but you might be able to get custody of your kids if you take the 'my wife is an outrageous slut' tack.

She'll show up with her baby bump and her boyfriend and bam primary custody.

Not unless a court finds that it impacts her fitness as a parent. Also attempting this would require a spine, which dude obviously doesn't have.

She cheated on me throughout the marriage and our solution was to simply let her continue doing that lmao.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Hellblazer187 posted:

Not unless a court finds that it impacts her fitness as a parent. Also attempting this would require a spine, which dude obviously doesn't have.

She cheated on me throughout the marriage and our solution was to simply let her continue doing that lmao.

The only way that guy could be more owned is if he was the one that opened the relationship in the first place.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

What's Air BnB's advantage in stubbornly leaving a listing up if they keep having to refund the money and put up in a hotel everyone that uses it?

What I don't get is why it was in the guys advantage to effectively pay them $4200 to gently caress off. He had managed to stop them renting the place out. Then he just needs to sue them for damages + costs. With the signed contract it seems pretty simple to get a lawyer to do that really. But instead he did himself for $8400?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If your tenants are illegally subletting your property, surely there's a better solution than handing them nearly ten grand?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I would also think that if a property owner said to Air BnB, "Hey I'm the owner of this property and the person listing it has no right to rent it out, please remove the listing," it would be in Air BnB's interest to take down the listing, as they are exposing themselves to legal liability.

Also, maybe Air BnB shouldn't do business with weirdo businesses that rent places out via Air BnB and then sublet them against the owner's wishes, but then I'm not a silicon valley venture capitalist, so what do I know?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

LabyaMynora posted:

I would also think that if a property owner said to Air BnB, "Hey I'm the owner of this property and the person listing it has no right to rent it out, please remove the listing," it would be in Air BnB's interest to take down the listing, as they are exposing themselves to legal liability.

Also, maybe Air BnB shouldn't do business with weirdo businesses that rent places out via Air BnB and then sublet them against the owner's wishes, but then I'm not a silicon valley venture capitalist, so what do I know?

He's the kind of person who would hand someone five grand instead of suing them for the extensive property damage they've done. AirBnB can smell his fear.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

he was pretty casual with his hygiene

/r/relationships: he was pretty casual with his hygiene

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

Theophany posted:

Penance for my previous transgression.

Need help with complications: Wife accidentally pregnant with live-in boyfriend's child.

BF only wants to cum inside her

Oh god, it's like he meekly asked the guy living in his house to please maybe not nut inside his wife and got shut down. Husband's life makes me very sad :(

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My friend (34M) is being conned by his 'girlfriend' (43F) and her ex-husband.

My friend Tom* (34M) has been in a secret relationship for about a decade with another friend of ours Laura* (43F) (there's a few of us, we all used to work together). I'm the only person who knows, and he told me just over a year ago. To the rest of the world, they pretend they're just friends (and don't do a brilliant job of it – nearly everyone we used to work with was convinced they were dating). I understood back when they were working in the same office that they might not want people to know, and that's fair enough. However, the charade continued even after we all left. When he eventually told me everything last year, I was horrified. Basically, Laura is separated but still married (to Bill*), and still has a house with a mortgage with him. What disturbed me even more, is that Tom has been PAYING their mortgage all these years, and made the final payment this month. He has been trying to get her to divorce him but there's always some kind of issue that puts a spanner in it – e.g. the marriage certificate was lost; the papers were lost in the mail... all these bullshit excuses.

A few years ago, Laura moved in with Tom, but because she can't/won't get a divorce with Bill, it's soured their relationship. They have separate bedrooms and he's not sure he can trust her. Bill has a gambling addiction and together they have a lot of overdrafts and credit card debt, plus the gambling debt, which Tom has been helping them to pay off.

He's tried asking Laura to move out, but whenever he gives an ultimatum she starts crying and tells him she'll be out on the street if he makes her leave. She has a well-paid white collar job and one of his reasons for not choosing a smaller place was because of "all the clothes she has" – probably all bought on credit, but nonetheless. There's no way she would be homeless if she had to move out.

I keep telling him, you've waited so many years for this divorce to happen and for your relationship to become public, and I think Laura and Bill are taking you for a ride. I've suggested he find a smaller flat, hand in his notice at his current place, move out and give her a month to do the same (before the new tenants move in). He doesn't want to do this for two reasons – he thinks the divorce is getting closer to finally happening (I'm skeptical) and he's worried about how she'll support herself on her own. He's also told me that he has mixed feelings about her now after all they've been through and is not sure he loves her anymore.

This charade he's had to keep up has been entirely for her benefit and at her request. He hates living a double life, not being able to tell his friends or family what is going on. It's isolating him because the people he knows feel like he's hiding stuff and that he's a 'dark horse'. His parents and sister live in another continent so they can only go on what he tells them. I've told him he needs to tell his family but his parents are getting old and he's worried it'll make them sick with worry and that they'll just add to the pressure he already feels.

I really want to help him, and over the last year and a half have tried so many times to get him to cut his losses and leave her, but he won't. He feels trapped (and is self-aware enough to realise he may have Stockholm syndrome) but is anxious about the fallout and upheaval that would occur from asking her to leave. I told him his friends and family would be totally behind him and he's done nothing wrong but to be too trusting.

Fellow Redditors, I'm at a loss. How can I get him to see the light?

Thank you for reading.

*Names changed

​TL;DR; : My friend has been scammed into paying off his girlfriend's and her husband's debts, who are still married but separated. He's been trying to get her to divorce him but hasn't been able to. He won't listen to reason, he's in too deep.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Radar posted:

Who did spray poo poo all over Howard Stern’s celebrity bathroom?

Tim Sabean who was the manager of Stern's channels on Sirius.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
An AirBnB property you rent out but the entire floor is set up like a trap door so you can just get rid of overstaying guests with a simple pull of a lever.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My friend (34M) is being conned by his 'girlfriend' (43F) and her ex-husband.
​TL;DR; : My friend has been scammed into paying off his girlfriend's and her husband's debts, who are still married but separated. He's been trying to get her to divorce him but hasn't been able to. He won't listen to reason, he's in too deep.

It's been said many times before but lmao goddamn the poo poo people put up with just to not be alone

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

dudeness posted:

An AirBnB property you rent out but the entire floor is set up like a trap door so you can just get rid of overstaying guests with a simple pull of a lever.

How would the furniture not fall in the hole?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You get inflatable furniture and fill it with helium. Tell guests to just pull it down by the attached string when you want to sit on a couch or something. Get hardwood floors so you can rollerskate around your home.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Bolt it to the floor.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

cumshitter posted:

Tim Sabean who was the manager of Stern's channels on Sirius.

And here I thought Gary's poo aim was as bad as his ceremonial first pitch aim.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 23, 2018

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Motronic posted:

/r/relationships: he was pretty casual with his hygiene

I like it. ?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I'm [25/M] tired of my sister's [30/F] ridiculous relationships. New BF [probably 30, M and VERY gay] is another in a long, seedy, line.

quote:

My sister has an amazing penchant for picking the wrong guy. If she had to choose between "Average Guy #1" and "Criminal" she'd choose criminal because "no way would Average Guy #1 go for a gal like me!". Honestly, ever since I was a just a teen, I can remember her boyfriends vividly - there was the guy who tried to steal my parent's car; the guy who was sure that the middle east wasn't real and would have a panic attack when anyone said otherwise; there was the activist who wound-up charged with multiple rapes; there was the "doctor" who wasn't a doctor at all but a janitor. There was the international business mogul who traveled a lot but was actually an uber driver with a wife. And there was the "Importer/Exporter" who always had fancy gifts - all of it stolen. Random set of watches, vitamins, bedding, gourmet food that was in distribution boxes, random car parts and electronics. He went "underground" and she never heard from him again. Safe to say, if my sister is dating you, there's a problem. Get help.

And of course, I am now somehow mediator-designate for my family's Thanksgiving.

I met my sister's most recent boyfriend about a month ago. He was certainly surprising. He was dressed like a 12 year old girl. Baseball cap with with rim folded upwards, with an ironic t-shirt mocking a YouTube celebrity, pants that were 4 or 5 sizes too small (and girl's jeans) with enough decorative jewelry for two women. He was also drowning in women's perfume - the same one my GF uses (she had to stop using it, it was too creepy). I thought this was my sister's way of coming out to us until he said his name, let's call him "Ralph" and made a joke about how we were the "only dudes at the table." My older sister who was there at the time looked at me with a befuddled expression.

Ralph is a very open person - he also had no compunction about hitting on me during our dinner (in front of his GF/my sister and my family) and his European "peck on the cheek" came preposterously close to becoming a French kiss. I can still taste his chapstick. Ugh. All he could ask me was about where I go to grad school and why I don't go to [insert various gay bar/club]. He can't understand that taking two trains and walking a few blocks for a beer isn't something I'm going to do. He is handsy and kept touching me, I realize what women must go through with handsy dudes. It's really unpleasant.The guy is another in a long line of creeps who've marked my sister as someone with incredibly low self-esteem who'll look the other way about minor details like "being a criminal" or "being gay". Ralph all but stuck his tongue down my throat - he even held the back of my head when he kissed me goodbye. To this day I can't believe she didn't think it weird.

EVERY single time we go through this, we have to go through the same drat routine: Someone raises an issue about her current BF. She says we're being exclusionary and mean. We tell her we've yet to be wrong and outline the facts of the case. She cries, goes no-contact for a month or two and then comes slinking back when what we said was true. Then she pretends nothing was said and we're all expected to pretend all is well. Here's the thing, some of her boyfriends were involved in violent affairs and we don't want her hurt. I also don't want her hurt in this instance but for different reasons. If we say nothing, she would eventually marry these people - the guy who tried to steal my father's car proposed to her and she said yes AFTER it came to light he had tried to steal a car. He thought if they were engaged that she wouldn't be able to testify - they didn't need her to. They had evidence of dozens of other crimes and he was locked up. HE dumped HER from inside PRISON. After that, we realized she'd marry these people if we don't say something.

My main problem is, my sister and I are close - we were buddies growing up and inseparable until she left at 18. I always looked up to her and she was my protector and my first and best friend. It's fallen on me to talk to her about her relationships. I had to break it to her that one guy tried to steal my father's car. I had to break it to her that her last BF was giving us stolen goods (I fortunately had evidence). I no longer want to be the guy who has to talk to her about this. I'm tired of the same rigamarole. I love my sister, I really do - she will be in my wedding when I get married and will always be a part of my life, but I can't deal with her boyfriends. I can't deal with another Thanksgiving where the whole family sits in awkward silence. My GF does not speak to her family and she's adopted mine as hers, so she can't wait for Turkey and fam time. I'm just dreading it.

What do I do in this situation? I want the best for my sister and I want to make sure she's safe but I'm tired of being thrust into the middle of an absolute shitshow, especially when I just want to eat turkey and drink gravy.

tl;dr sister always selects the worst boyfriends. Then it falls on me to tell her why they're scumbags, deal with the fallout and console her when its true. Her boyfriends have been total zilches and the most recent guy is very obviously gay and unashamed to make a pass at a man - including her younger brother. Tired of the same poo poo and don't know what to do.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Freudian posted:

I'm [25/M] tired of my sister's [30/F] ridiculous relationships. New BF [probably 30, M and VERY gay] is another in a long, seedy, line.

this is absolutely hilarious

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

mods please change my name to "probably 30, VERY gay"

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

The Iron Rose posted:

this is absolutely hilarious

This is my sister-in-laws. Fill a room with 100 jerks, creeps, assholes, etc, and 1 decent guy, and they'll go for the losers. Every. Single. Time.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

quote:

there was the "doctor" who wasn't a doctor at all but a janitor.

I may have seen this tv show

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
could someone describe how they would recommend breaking this cycle? like do you think people can pretty quickly tell she has low self esteem? or do you think she ignores things/lets too much poo poo slide? is her 'scrub' meter off??

asking for a friend

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Boiled Water posted:

I’m pretty sure Art Vandelay came up there too.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

could someone describe how they would recommend breaking this cycle? like do you think people can pretty quickly tell she has low self esteem? or do you think she ignores things/lets too much poo poo slide? is her 'scrub' meter off??

asking for a friend

Maybe she just sucks and is actually dating ppl in her league lol. :j:

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Sooo I (m24) told my niece (f21) she would make a cute girlfriend ...... now it haunts me

Sooo a few years ago I said something I terribly regret saying to my niece. To this day I feel horrible if I think about it. I’m looking for people’s honest opinion what to do. So anybody who’d like to chime in on this go ahead.

Simplified story: When I was in university I was doing pretty well in my studies and had just gone through a heavy breakup. Despite of the succes at uni I felt like poo poo. Really demotivated and depressed really. When summer came I planned to go to a music festival with my niece and some friends. She has been really dear to me as we grew up together in the family. Whilst having fun at the festival we indulged in some substance usage. At a sudden moment of euphoria I said to her, while having a great time with her, : “You would make such a great girlfriend if you weren’t my niece” - at this moment I realized how f’d up this sounded.

Now my heart was quicker than my mind at this point and later explained To her I wasn’t in to her. Just having a great time with her as family and sharing excitement at the festival. Obviously the ‘vitamins’ did not help keeping my emotions in check. She was a bit struck by my words but was OK with my explanation. Later in those months we still partied and had more nights out with her friends and some of mine. So basically we still met each other regularly which led me to believe it we didn’t feel awkward around each other. We hang out lots of times after it and that was OK and nothing out of the ordinary.

I never could rid the feeling that I still owe her a big apology and explanation what had going on at that point in my life. We’re both adults at the moment and I don’t what to feel poo poo about something I said to one of my dearest family members.

Fast forward to 2018:

I’m dealing with health issues and just ended my job as I couldn’t continue anymore. One of my goals is to work on my emotional problems in my life to reconnect and reconcile to those I felt I hurt and who I value.

Just typing this gives off a sense of relief.

Should I apologize to her and explain why and the story behind I said something like that?

Yes bringing it up literal years later couldn’t possibly make it more awkward.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Boiled Water posted:

Don't you dare blemish the name of Dr Jan Itor.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Khazar-khum posted:

This is my sister-in-laws. Fill a room with 100 jerks, creeps, assholes, etc, and 1 decent guy, and they'll go for the losers. Every. Single. Time.

You're supposed to flip those numbers when you set up an explanation like this. Think about it, is winding up with a jerk in a group of 99% jerks actually demonstrating anything?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Freudian posted:

I want a TV show about each of this woman’s exes, especially the guy who doesn’t believe in the Middle East.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pirate Radar posted:

I want a TV show about each of this woman’s exes, especially the guy who doesn’t believe in the Middle East.
he's just confused and thinks they're talking about middle earth

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

hobbits did 9/11

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

No blood for pipeweed

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
Empirically provable that second breakfast exists.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Anomalous Blowout posted:

Sooo I (m24) told my niece (f21) she would make a cute girlfriend ...... now it haunts me

Blergh and all, but if you said that poo poo while rolling on ecstasy or Molly or whatever (are they the same thing? I'm old.), just forget it and pretend it never happened. And don't do those kind of drugs around family members, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Magma can't melt gold rings