Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

They should have put rarebit for Wales anyway, that style of meatball is more a West Country thing than a Welsh thing.

Welsh rabbit is mostly a combination of two really old anti-Welsh jokes. Cawl is probably our national dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought it was a generally British thing with different regional ones, where only the (South) Welsh one remained popular?

I could see it as a "lol the Welsh are so poor/stupid/backwards that they eat grilled cheese and call it rabbit" if there weren't also Scotch and English versions with slight variations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Milo and POTUS posted:

New yorks tyle Apizza

e: huh, that's new haven style apizza. Very strange

This geographically limited pizza style has been favorably referenced by national critics.[5][6][7]

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I thought it was a generally British thing with different regional ones, where only the (South) Welsh one remained popular?

I could see it as a "lol the Welsh are so poor/stupid/backwards that they eat grilled cheese and call it rabbit" if there weren't also Scotch and English versions with slight variations.

I didn't know about the other rabbits, but the idea that Welsh people are obsessed with grilled cheese because they're too stupid to make anything else goes back hundreds of years before the name was coined. There's quite a few really old jokes about spotting the Welshman by shouting "caws pobi"

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Lol at East Indian Roti in Toronto

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Why put Sauerbraten somewhere in Northern Germany when it is much more closely associated with the Rheinland? Surely, there is some awful fish dish they could have put there instead?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The dishes are only sorted by country, except in North America and Oz/NZ where it’s by state. They aren’t precisely placed.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

New yorks tyle Apizza

It's a real and specific and good thing. The 'famous' one is apparently white clam, but I've not had that particular variety yet.

Though, New Haven also apparently invented the hamburger so that could be there instead of apizza.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Glasse's Art of Cookery says that's Hamburg. That's the same book that says that Welsh rarebit comes from the South Welsh valleys though, but White Castle says Hamburg too.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Randarkman posted:

If I were to pick one quintessentially Norwegian dish really, it would have to be "risengrynsgrøt", rice porridge, sprinkled with cinnamon, sugar and usually with a spoonful of melted butter in the middle. I don't really know if eating porridge like this is how people do it in the rest of the world, but really I can't think of anything more typically Norwegian than that really.

It's served exactly the same in Denmark, though being paragons of efficiency we just call it risengrød.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's served exactly like that pretty much everywhere East of the Rhine afaik.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Why put Sauerbraten somewhere in Northern Germany when it is much more closely associated with the Rheinland? Surely, there is some awful fish dish they could have put there instead?

There’s also some amazing Sauerbraten varieties to be found in the south. My Bavarian Oma makes the best goddamn Sauerbraten in the world, just so you know :colbert:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

steinrokkan posted:

It's served exactly like that pretty much everywhere East of the Rhine afaik.

This includes Eastern Europe even.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Asia apparently starts at the Rhine.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Asia apparently starts at the Rhine.

Asia starts at the Rhine, Africa at the Pyrenees, and America at the cliffs of Dover.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I didn't know about the other rabbits, but the idea that Welsh people are obsessed with grilled cheese because they're too stupid to make anything else goes back hundreds of years before the name was coined. There's quite a few really old jokes about spotting the Welshman by shouting "caws pobi"
Looking it up, English rabbit was bread soaked in wine and topped with melted cheese, Scotch rabbit was toast with butter and melted cheese, and Welsh rabbit was bread browned with a flatiron and topped with melted cheese and some mustard and sauce.

So unless the whole thing was one long vintage ethnic bit about drunk English, dour Scots, and simple Welsh, it looks like a legit family of dishes. And all of them have melted cheese so if it was so a joke it's less likely to be a caws pobi thing whatever it was.

But the English variant fell out of favor and now the grilled cheese is just called rarebit after a folk etymology.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Asia starts at the Rhine, Africa at the Pyrenees, and America at the cliffs of Dover.

:hfive:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Cat Mattress posted:

Checks out :france: :italy:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cebrail posted:

So what is the poison pill hidden in this apple pie?

They want to invade anyone who does this:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ah yes, reindeer, the staple food of Actual Finland.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Okay, how do you say "apizza". Is it just "uh-PEE-za" or is it more something weird like AH-pi-za"?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Lycus posted:

Okay, how do you say "apizza". Is it just "uh-PEE-za" or is it more something weird like AH-pi-za"?

"AH-peets" or "UH-peets" apparently.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kassad posted:

Checks out :france: :italy:

Africa also starts somewhere just south of Emilia-Romagna

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Milo and POTUS posted:

New yorks tyle Apizza

It is quite literally called "Apizza". You know you have places that sell that style when they advertise that right in the name, even the little diner type places.

CT is pizza heaven, because we're right in the NYC orbit to have their level of quality, plus the native style around New Haven.

steinrokkan posted:

This geographically limited pizza style has been favorably referenced by national critics.[5][6][7]

It owns, and is arguably better than NYC style. That crust man.

On topic for maps~
https://gawker.com/the-pizza-belt-the-most-important-pizza-theory-youll-r-743629037

Grape fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 23, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grape posted:

It owns, and is arguably better than NYC style. That crust man.

That isn’t as high praise as NYC might want it to be

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think it's kinda cute that Americans still think they're the best at making pizza.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, that's the Germans isn't it?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That isn’t as high praise as NYC might want it to be

Me, with slight sneer

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, that's the Germans isn't it?

Flammkuchen :swoon:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

KozmoNaut posted:

I think it's kinda cute that Americans still think they're the best at making pizza.

"I've eaten at the higher quality international Pizza Huts, so I know their capabilities. :smuggo:"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've had pizza in Italy. it was pretty good.

I was in the north though and I'm pretty sure the genuine article is more of a Neapolitan thing so maybe it wasn't real pizza.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

KozmoNaut posted:

(puts ham and pineapple on wonderbread, calls it pizza) heh americans

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

Looking it up, English rabbit was bread soaked in wine and topped with melted cheese, Scotch rabbit was toast with butter and melted cheese, and Welsh rabbit was bread browned with a flatiron and topped with melted cheese and some mustard and sauce.

So unless the whole thing was one long vintage ethnic bit about drunk English, dour Scots, and simple Welsh, it looks like a legit family of dishes. And all of them have melted cheese so if it was so a joke it's less likely to be a caws pobi thing whatever it was.

But the English variant fell out of favor and now the grilled cheese is just called rarebit after a folk etymology.

Weatherspoons used to do a rarebit Burger here. Was right good it was. Then they got rid of all regional menu items. gently caress you weatherspoons you brexit shits.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Regarde Aduck posted:

Weatherspoons used to do a rarebit Burger here. Was right good it was. Then they got rid of all regional menu items. gently caress you weatherspoons you brexit shits.

I went into my first Wetherspoon's a few months ago because of the super cheap booze and was taken aback by all the blatant pro-Brexit propaganda everywhere. If you actually read it the arguments it makes are really disingenuous, too.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Wait, what’s that with what appears to be a pub chain and Brexit propaganda?

*looks it up on wikipedia*

:chanpop: lmao, what a twat

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

System Metternich posted:

Wait, what’s that with what appears to be a pub chain and Brexit propaganda?

*looks it up on wikipedia*

:chanpop: lmao, what a twat

He literally stopped selling any non-brit european drinks in his chain, replacing them with overseas versions.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
He's claiming that free trade with the world will lower prices by lowering non-EU tariffs, whilst, a) he's replacing all European drinks (like champagne) with English-produced versions (that legally can't be called champagne), and b) raising prices anyway.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

TinTower posted:

He's claiming that free trade with the world will lower prices by lowering non-EU tariffs, whilst, a) he's replacing all European drinks (like champagne) with English-produced versions (that legally can't be called champagne), and b) raising prices anyway.
So it's basically autarchism/"buy Briton first" behavior masquerading as free market?
"Martin is a lobbyist for a no-deal Brexit, representing these views for journalists and on political TV shows such as BBC Politics Live and Sky News. In 2016 Martin donated £200,000 to the Vote Leave campaign."
Well, at least he put his money where his mouth is. It would be sad* if he ended up ruining himself.

*no, not really.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

TinTower posted:

What I don’t understand is all the rhetoric about how “finally we’ll be able to sell all British products! This is why Brexit is a good thing.” What’s stopping them from doing that while the UK is in the EU? So you can’t serve English sparkling wine and call it “champagne.” Fine; call it sparkling wine and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

What I don’t understand is all the rhetoric about how “finally we’ll be able to sell all British products! This is why Brexit is a good thing.” What’s stopping them from doing that while the UK is in the EU? So you can’t serve English sparkling wine and call it “champagne.” Fine; call it sparkling wine and be done with it.
Those are generally poo poo local products that can't compete with cheaper better quality foreign products. The only way to sell them is outside the European market.