Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

s.i.r.e. posted:

So theoretically I could just find someone with all of the toys to unlock everything? The thing is I don't even know anyone with the game so it'll never happen, interesting to think you could just get all of the "DLC" that way.

Kinda bullshit I can't just buy the rest digitally.

My understanding is that you have to reconnect them every 7 days to prevent this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

My understanding is that you have to reconnect them every 7 days to prevent this.

It's this. You can use them freely as digital items in the meantime though.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

punk rebel ecks posted:

A fair bit of characters are a bit too "risqué" looking for a kid to play, but maybe that's just me.

Doh, missed the "for a kid" part of that post, just saw JRPG.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Is there a sale for Diablo anywhere? I'm a sucker for buying the same game on multiple consoles.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

IDK if it's still active but apparently you can buy in-store at Walmart for $17

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Heath posted:

I'm gonna talk about mufuckin' Penguin Wars for a minute because it's a mystery to me what's going on with it.

I was wondering what that "City Connection" company was and apparently it's the successor to Jaleco (which explains the company having the same name as the Jaleco game). Huh.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Heath posted:

I'm gonna talk about mufuckin' Penguin Wars for a minute because it's a mystery to me what's going on with it.

Penguin Wars was an early Game Boy game in which you play as a penguin standing on one side of what's basically a combination between a pool table and a skee ball pit, except the target is your enemy's face. You each stand opposite on either side of the table and are given five balls which you are supposed to pick up and chuck at your opponent and dome them until they collapse and become paralyzed. It rules. It's basically one-on-one dodgeball. But, being as old as it is, it's pretty primitive. Not much in the way of graphics or features.

This year, the game was given a remake/sequel of the same name on the Switch. I had heard absolutely nothing about it anywhere and the only way I discovered it was when it came up in my Amazon recommendations. I decided to Google it and found out it's published by Dispatch Games (also the publishers of Psyvariar Delta, if you're looking forward to that) but their website seems ridiculously out of date. As far as I can tell, the Switch version of Penguin Wars launched sometime in August of this year in the US. It has no presence on the eShop, and seems to be (for now at least) one of the few Switch games only available in physical. But, according to the website, they're still taking preorders for it. So I don't know. It's definitely available now - I got a copy off of Amazon for like $22 bucks, which I was on the fence about since there was so little info on it, but I loved the original and this remake looks fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGQGZ6WbgEY

It has a weird minute long initial loading screen but after that it runs fine so I don't know what the gently caress. It's got a lot of love put into it for what looks like it could very easily have been a total shovelware game. The graphics are pretty simple but very expressive and fun. It's a good little game to just pick up and play, and the music is pretty great, with long tracks that don't loop too much.

The other part of the mystery is that this game has DLC, but you can't buy it on the American eShop - going to the DLC screen just says it's not available, and it doesn't seem to exist, which sucks because I kind of wanted it: it adds four new characters to the game, who are the four heroes from the Sunsoft NES game Hebreke, also known as Ufouria, which is a great game but as far as I know had nothing whatsoever to do with the original Penguin Wars in any way. So I'm actually pretty disappointed that I can't buy that because I love Hebreke and I would pay a couple bucks to be able to play as a penguin from a different 30 year old game.

I don't know yet if it was worth $20+, but so far I've been having a lot of fun with it and I wanted to signal boost it because I don't think this game is going to get much attention if it's not available on the eShop and nobody's talking about it.

I legit thought this was the video game hoaxes and urban legends thread the whole time I was reading this post, and I was very confused that nothing scary happened by the end of it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heath posted:

Penguin Wars was an early Game Boy game in which you play as a penguin standing on one side of what's basically a combination between a pool table and a skee ball pit, except the target is your enemy's face. You each stand opposite on either side of the table and are given five balls which you are supposed to pick up and chuck at your opponent and dome them until they collapse and become paralyzed. It rules. It's basically one-on-one dodgeball. But, being as old as it is, it's pretty primitive. Not much in the way of graphics or features.

This year, the game was given a remake/sequel of the same name on the Switch. I had heard absolutely nothing about it anywhere and the only way I discovered it was when it came up in my Amazon recommendations. I decided to Google it and found out it's published by Dispatch Games (also the publishers of Psyvariar Delta, if you're looking forward to that) but their website seems ridiculously out of date. As far as I can tell, the Switch version of Penguin Wars launched sometime in August of this year in the US. It has no presence on the eShop, and seems to be (for now at least) one of the few Switch games only available in physical. But, according to the website, they're still taking preorders for it. So I don't know. It's definitely available now - I got a copy off of Amazon for like $22 bucks, which I was on the fence about since there was so little info on it, but I loved the original and this remake looks fun.

It has a weird minute long initial loading screen but after that it runs fine so I don't know what the gently caress. It's got a lot of love put into it for what looks like it could very easily have been a total shovelware game. The graphics are pretty simple but very expressive and fun. It's a good little game to just pick up and play, and the music is pretty great, with long tracks that don't loop too much.

The other part of the mystery is that this game has DLC, but you can't buy it on the American eShop - going to the DLC screen just says it's not available, and it doesn't seem to exist, which sucks because I kind of wanted it: it adds four new characters to the game, who are the four heroes from the Sunsoft NES game Hebreke, also known as Ufouria, which is a great game but as far as I know had nothing whatsoever to do with the original Penguin Wars in any way. So I'm actually pretty disappointed that I can't buy that because I love Hebreke and I would pay a couple bucks to be able to play as a penguin from a different 30 year old game.

I don't know yet if it was worth $20+, but so far I've been having a lot of fun with it and I wanted to signal boost it because I don't think this game is going to get much attention if it's not available on the eShop and nobody's talking about it.

Holy poo poo, I remember Penguin Wars, except I played the NES version which was part of some unlicensed compilation, 72-in-1 or something.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Man I can’t decide what to buy in the Nintendo e-shop sale.

I’m going to get shovel knight treasure trove, but then I’m at a loss. I need strangers on the internet to make my decisions for me. Should I go with Celeste, West of Loathing, or Bloodstained Curse of the Moon?

I know I want to play west of loathing but it’s hardly a sale atm. Everyone praises Celeste. Curse of the moon is appealing because I loved Castlevania III and I love old school castlevania in general.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Jackie D posted:

IDK if it's still active but apparently you can buy in-store at Walmart for $17

Worth a try maybe. I got mine 2 days ago and yesterday I read an article saying it had been corrected. But then sonebody in the thread said they still got it yesterday so who knows

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Gameko posted:

I’m going to get shovel knight treasure trove, but then I’m at a loss. I need strangers on the internet to make my decisions for me. Should I go with Celeste, West of Loathing, or Bloodstained Curse of the Moon?

I know I want to play west of loathing but it’s hardly a sale atm. Everyone praises Celeste. Curse of the moon is appealing because I loved Castlevania III and I love old school castlevania in general.

Get the game that you want to play. If the sale price of WOL (a relatively cheap game) isn’t enough to make you buy, why would you be willing to spend the same or more on a game you’re less interested in?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Heath posted:

Not gonna lie, kinda interested in this. Also the music is dope.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo, I remember Penguin Wars, except I played the NES version which was part of some unlicensed compilation, 72-in-1 or something.

Yeah, it was one of those early third-party Famicom games that was released in Japan before the nation-wide release of the NES in the US so nobody bothered to bring it over, but the Game Boy port was brought over since that was within the launch year of the handheld. I had one of those multicart bootlegs as well (110-in-1 in my case) that had Penguin Wars. It also had Quarth, a weird puzzle block shooter hybrid that was released on both the Famicom and Game Boy in 1990 but for some reason only the Game Boy version was brought over to the US. There were a lot of Famicom/Game Boy releases like that for whatever reason.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gameko posted:

Celeste is the most game for your dollar of those 3. Wol is a basic little rpg lifted up by great writing, bcom is very short. Celeste has jillions of levels.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, if we never get Symphony of the Night on Switch, is Bloodstained just as good? Better? Worse? Bueller?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

So, if we never get Symphony of the Night on Switch, is Bloodstained just as good? Better? Worse? Bueller?

Cotm or the real game?

Cotm is like a cv3 homage. Bloodstained proper might be good or might just be mediocre like a lot of 2.5D attempts at recapturing old series magic have been

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Curse of the moon is classic castlevania style, not a metroidvania.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

No, it's not nearly as good but it is a fun little throwback.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Celeste is GOOD AS HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Bloodstained cotm was definitely worthwhile, I'll go back and play it through again sometime

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

RandomFerret posted:

I legit thought this was the video game hoaxes and urban legends thread the whole time I was reading this post, and I was very confused that nothing scary happened by the end of it

Yeah, the mystery is that it's just kind of weird that it doesn't seem to exist on the eShop and none of the online features work. I thought maybe I had gotten a European copy somehow, but it's definitely an American release. It says I'm in the wrong region to collect Nintendo points for it also.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh, I didn't realize there were two Bloodstained games. I do love Castlevania 1 and 3,though.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Oh, I didn't realize there were two Bloodstained games. I do love Castlevania 1 and 3,though.

Get Curse of the Moon, you will feel right at home.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Curse of the moon should be right in your wheelhouse then. The main bloodstained game isn't out yet.

If you still have an itching for metroidvanias Switch does have a couple of good ones though like Hollow Knight or Guacamelee. Both are going for different things than SOTN though.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Heath posted:

I played the poo poo out of this game on road trips as a kid. My sister had a gameboy and a copy, too, so we did a ton of battles over the link cable. IIRC the mouse was super OP, you either played as him or lost when the CPU got him. I think you could only strike him when he was throwing a ball, otherwise his face was below the table so you couldn't hit him.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Curse of the Moon is basically a big homage to Castlevania 3 so you should like it.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I bought Okami but it might have been a mistake until I finish off dark souls, hollow knight, axiom verge, and uninstall diablo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks all, I had just looked up what's going on with Bloodstained, the difference between the two versions (mainly that one isn't even released yet), so I'll definitely be picking up COTM when I can.

But first, I have to rebuy Skyrim and Minecraft.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I picked up Bloodstained and it is really great if you want a rad retro Castlevania experience. The other characters are all fun.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Thanks all, I had just looked up what's going on with Bloodstained, the difference between the two versions (mainly that one isn't even released yet), so I'll definitely be picking up COTM when I can.

But first, I have to rebuy Skyrim and Minecraft.

I got CotM on my PS4 and beat it probably 8 times to get all the trophies.

It's good y'all.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Finally sold Splatoon 2.

It was the first time that I loved everything about a game aside from playing it. It's not really the games fault, I just have time to learn a new team shooter. I've gotten pretty good at Overwatch and I guess I'm just gonna stick to that.

It's alright since my GF is playing video games again and needs the Switch for massive Crash and Puyo marathons.

We are two weeks away from Smash. Kid me would have never dreamed that a version like this would ever happen. The hype makes me feel young again.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I know about the Nintendo tax and all, but isn't it a bit much that the (slightly updated) port of Katamari Damacy costs 50% more than when it was first released 14 years ago?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Have there been any little gems released in the Eshop recently? I haven't bought anything off there since Dead Cells. Isn't there some SRPG rougelite mech game that's supposed to be really good?

The Merkinman posted:

I know about the Nintendo tax and all, but isn't it a bit much that the (slightly updated) port of Katamari Damacy costs 50% more than when it was first released 14 years ago?

Pretty sure KD was a full priced game when it came out.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 24, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Have there been any little gems released in the Eshop recently? I haven't bought anything off there since Dead Cells. Isn't there some SRPG rougelite mech game that's supposed to be really good?

Into the breach is indeed very good

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Merkinman posted:

That game was $15 bucks on PS2 when it first came out?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Inzombiac posted:

Finally sold Splatoon 2.

I've gotten pretty good at Overwatch and I guess I'm just gonna stick to that.
:yikes:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Just port new vegas already. Panic button, you can have my money.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

veni veni veni posted:

Pretty sure KD was a full priced game when it came out.
It was not. It launched in the US at $19.99.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Nintendo is just adjusting for inflation you cheap bastards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SeANMcBAY posted:

That game was $15 bucks on PS2 when it first came out?

It launched at 20 or 25 if I remember right. It was insanely hard to find for a while and when I found a copy in a pawn shop for five bucks I nearly poo poo.

Then they reprinted it a couple months later. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯