Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

LastInLine posted:

people complain when the error messages are vague and they complain when theyre specific but a really dumb reason WHICH DO YOU WANT?

walking the line between condescendingly stupid and too technical explanations is a really tough one for nerds and Microsoft falls on both extremes most of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Chris Knight posted:

what if cloud?

the server farm's dyin', cloud

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Last Chance posted:

walking the line between condescendingly stupid and too technical explanations is a really tough one for nerds and Microsoft falls on both extremes most of the time

ms sql has this wonderful thing where an error message can be one to three error codes, all of them different in format and leading to different places

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

20 minutes, I have had windows installed for 20 minutes on this spare hard drive entirely so I can play battlefield 5

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1065901845246353408

WHAT

It used to be pretty easy deciding between buying a game on Playstation or Steam

Windows 10 really changed that

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Battlefield V isn't on Steam, which really simplifies that decision.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Luigi Thirty posted:

20 minutes, I have had windows installed for 20 minutes on this spare hard drive entirely so I can play battlefield 5

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1065901845246353408

WHAT

what we’re looking at here is an error message with a string table fault. the original message was:

“Too many computers have accessed this account’s version of XXXX recently. Please try again later.”

where XXXX was some specific string that it tried to look up and failed, so it inserted

“DisplayName field missing from registry.”

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

what we’re looking at here is an error message with a string table fault. the original message was:

“Too many computers have accessed this account’s version of XXXX recently. Please try again later.”

where XXXX was some specific string that it tried to look up and failed, so it inserted

thanks, missingno.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The Management posted:

I like it when exceptions return the error message in a form programatically indistinguishable from a successful response. It's a real sign of quality.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
returned error 0

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Chalks posted:

I like it when exceptions return the error message in a form programatically indistinguishable from a successful response. It's a real sign of quality.
I bet this is a functional improvement from when you’d only get a dialog that the string for the other error was missing

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

The Management posted:

Win32: And I thought gobject was bad.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
just to be clear, in this one particular case, that stupid error message is not in any way the fault of microsoft.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

I bet this is a functional improvement from when you’d only get a dialog that the string for the other error was missing

error 0x800017b4

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

The Management posted:

error 0x800017b4
They still got a long way to go before they reach that far: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Debug/system-error-codes

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Hello is this where I come to post about Azure and how MS seem to keep putting out unfinished features as "generally available" and "production ready"?

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

SupSuper posted:

They still got a long way to go before they reach that far: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Debug/system-error-codes

ERROR_SUCCESS
0 (0x0)
The operation completed successfully.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

SupSuper posted:

ah yes the catalog of unhelpful errors. reading MS docs has always struck me as like, they've heard about knowing WTF is going on. it sounds like a good idea. they despair of ever reaching the promised land themselves, but maybe by producing enough pages on technet and msdn they can at least get the moses role

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Hello is this where I come to post about Azure and how MS seem to keep putting out unfinished features as "generally available" and "production ready"?

how very out of character for v1 microsoft products not to be fully baked.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ThePeavstenator posted:

beta tested in the future

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

beta tested in the future

pounded in the butt by my future beta test

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

ThePeavstenator posted:

we are all Microsoft QA

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Is there a point when MS will fork commandeer a popular 3rd party library that they depend on? This poo poo bit me in the rear end a few months ago and I'm still salty that I had to hack one of our APIs to store escaped ISO date strings in CosmosDB in order for the API to return the actual data it was given: https://github.com/JamesNK/Newtonsoft.Json/issues/862

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ThePeavstenator posted:

Is there a point when MS will fork commandeer a popular 3rd party library that they depend on? This poo poo bit me in the rear end a few months ago and I'm still salty that I had to hack one of our APIs to store escaped ISO date strings in CosmosDB in order for the API to return the actual data it was given: https://github.com/JamesNK/Newtonsoft.Json/issues/862

the author is an arrogant prick. go figure.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

And people keep paying millions for it

The following products were apparently unfinished and still sold:

Azure information protection
Intune
Office 365 ATP
Windows 10 ATP

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ThePeavstenator posted:

it is loving absurd that .net doesn't have native json support

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Chalks posted:

ah what now?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

ah what now?

everyone uses newtonsoft.json that can’t even parse dates normally

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
i had a forgotten skype account hacked that was apparently automatically linked with my microsoft account, giving them full access. thanks microsoft. luckily i had nothing of value on that account but still

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Chalks posted:

technically it does but why bother maintaining it when everyone just uses newtonsoft internally, even microsoft

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

they've also announced it is being added to .net core 3 https://github.com/dotnet/announcements/issues/90

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

ThePeavstenator posted:

yes this is the tech forum

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no! this is the funy computer forum, tech forum is one level up

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

everyone uses newtonsoft.json that can’t even parse dates normally

I thought the problem was that it parses dates when it shouldn’t

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

or that yes, I just remember fact of date fuckup

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

it's more that it has dumb default settings for handling dates. but then again json doesn't actually support dates so now who's the dumb one?

it's javascript

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

no! this is the funy computer forum, tech forum is one level up

i'd like to go another level down, please

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

boy howdy i sure do love microsoft's cunning plan to hamstring their entire enterprise product lineup by tying everything to server 2019, but also not doing an RTM release of server 2019 so literally no OEMs support it.

you idiots. you loving morons.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

how i did get windows ipsec-psk vpn working for coleague today

0) in device manager uninstall wan miniports and scan for changes
1) in uwp setting set vpn to ipsec-psk with blank shared key
2) in control panel settings enable chap for vpn and disable server verification
3) try to connect until its stuck at connecting
4) cut connection
5) in upw settings set vpn to automatic
6) connect

note that our network guys say this vpn should not be accessible from office network

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fun vpn facts: you cannot create a system wide vpn connection (i.e. for all users), the kind you need to support remote login to an AD network, through any combination of moderns settings app and adapter control panel. the only way to do it is to trigger the legacy "set up a new connection" wizard under the legacy network and sharing center

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i should note, the correct way to do it and anything else with VPN connections is "use powershell", but seriously lol