Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That thread is all highlights. The NDing the HIMARS is amazing.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Local Forcepro left a M4 on the roof of a Humvee before starting a patrol in Kabul, it was never seen again.

Same unit ND'd a burst from a Saw into Kabul.

Unit before them ND'd a 240 into an Afghan bystander.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

This dude rules.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Watching a nuke chief and the Eng try to monkeyfuck some SUBSAFE reactor equipment with 0 work or containment controls was my hot safety violation. It was shewd that they rarely gave nukes guns.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Watching a nuke chief and the Eng try to monkeyfuck some SUBSAFE reactor equipment with 0 work or containment controls was my hot safety violation. It was shewd that they rarely gave nukes guns.

Getting on a ship with the assumption that everyone around me is actively trying to kill me through ignorance and stupidity has saved my life more than once.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

lightpole posted:

Getting on a ship with the assumption that everyone around me is actively trying to kill me through ignorance and stupidity has saved my life more than once.

That is the best advice anyone going in to the service could get

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

maffew buildings posted:

That is the best advice anyone going in to the service could get

Most careers too

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Its great advice for anyone working near other people that are using power tools, heavy equipment, or big fuckin guns.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Also driving.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Especially driving.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Wibla posted:

Especially driving.

For driving, and probably for the rest, add that people are also trying to kill themselves.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/OGYokYok/status/1060686740506271745

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
gently caress me sideways

https://twitter.com/Kaykuri/status/1060942872629805056

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oh man that must have made a mess with the marking round contents.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Had an E7 ND a round on the plane back from JRTC. This is a week after ammo turn in, so this dude hadn't checked his rifle in at least that long.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

A Bad Poster posted:

Had an E7 ND a round on the plane back from JRTC. This is a week after ammo turn in, so this dude hadn't checked his rifle in at least that long.

:staredog:

Wouldn't this ground the plane

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

If I remember right it was only a blank, but there was definitely some sort of FAA investigation because that rifle got taken away as evidence.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

A Bad Poster posted:

If I remember right it was only a blank, but there was definitely some sort of FAA investigation because that rifle got taken away as evidence.

WHAT?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

They wanted to inspect it to determine fault. Check if the rifle was damaged or defective and that would cause it to go off, or if the guy was at fault. I don't know what the result was, I PCSed shortly after.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Determine fault when the dude didn't clear his weapon? What? Ok

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

maffew buildings posted:

Determine fault when the dude didn't clear his weapon? What? Ok

The FAA is big on process, like how the gently caress was this guy's head malfunction not checked and his gun not looked at by a responsible adult.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

A Bad Poster posted:

They wanted to inspect it to determine fault. Check if the rifle was damaged or defective and that would cause it to go off, or if the guy was at fault. I don't know what the result was, I PCSed shortly after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK85OXiValM

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/iAmTheWarax/status/1066485847883694081

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Man I went through 5 years in the marines and the only time I saw a ND was was during rifle qual and it was the pog unit doing the range next to us.

I think the other services don't beat people that gently caress up with weapons enough or something I dunno

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Man I went through 5 years in the marines and the only time I saw a ND was was during rifle qual and it was the pog unit doing the range next to us.

I think the other services don't beat people that gently caress up with weapons enough or something I dunno

Could just be random chance, I bet there are plenty of marines who have seen crazy poo poo.

For my part one of my sailors squeezed off a few .50 rounds while underway during my first year in.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

To be fair, I saw more accidents that were along the lines of "whoops those were live rounds not blanks" than I did ND's. During an FTX a lucky/unlucky PFC had a round hit the feed tray cover of his SAW while he was reloading it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Didn’t a coast guard dude whoopsie a few 40mm rounds out of a Mk19 in the Hudson right next to NYC nine or ten years ago?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I was a marksmanship instructor in the Corps, I spent a lot of time at the ranges. I never saw an ND.

I did once see a dude in MCT who apparently didn't think they'd piss test people coming back from bootcamp leave and chased 8-balls with LSD so he flipped his poo poo halfway through. Went AWOL from the bivouac. We were formed up to search the firebreaks an poo poo all over pendleton looking to see where he tossed his M16. Duder went full camo face paint and buried himself under some leaves under a big rear end oak looking tree on top of a hill. When me and my buddy got up there my buddy goes "I see the M16!" followed by a loving bang and him falling down. I saw the nut job doing remedial action and was about to brain him with my e-tool when one of the instructors comes over and snags the rifle. Kept kicking him in the face telling him to let go.

Duder has put his arm in the sling like he was firing on the 500 yard line.

I thought my buddy was dead until he stood up and goes "that was scary as poo poo".

Duder was firing blanks. Which is why he had to work the action.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CainFortea posted:

I was a marksmanship instructor in the Corps, I spent a lot of time at the ranges. I never saw an ND.

I did once see a dude in MCT who apparently didn't think they'd piss test people coming back from bootcamp leave and chased 8-balls with LSD so he flipped his poo poo halfway through. Went AWOL from the bivouac. We were formed up to search the firebreaks an poo poo all over pendleton looking to see where he tossed his M16. Duder went full camo face paint and buried himself under some leaves under a big rear end oak looking tree on top of a hill. When me and my buddy got up there my buddy goes "I see the M16!" followed by a loving bang and him falling down. I saw the nut job doing remedial action and was about to brain him with my e-tool when one of the instructors comes over and snags the rifle. Kept kicking him in the face telling him to let go.

Duder has put his arm in the sling like he was firing on the 500 yard line.

I thought my buddy was dead until he stood up and goes "that was scary as poo poo".

Duder was firing blanks. Which is why he had to work the action.

:stare:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
So how high did he get promoted? Because if this thread has taught me anything, people actually getting punished is a pipe dream.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Saw a few NDs in the Marines. Best one was some dude complaining on the Quantico gate about having to stand the gate. Other guy on the gate, who had super-PTSD and TBI from Fallujah had the Benelli, yelled "LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT FALLUJAH!" and threw it on the ground so hard it shot into the deck. Not really THAT interesting except "Let me tell you about Fallujah" became our platoon motto.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Haven't seen an ND, but we almost never handle weapons. When I qualified last year there was a guy who kept getting yelled at for flagging people. They made a guy "re-qualify" while we were cleaning the M4s, by which I mean he somehow did that in 10 minutes and we didn't hear any shots.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
The only ND I've ever seen was a guy making GBS threads his pants.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Never seen any ND's but I've been shot at a couple times during live fires with the infantry.

Happened with 2 different BN's, my takeaway is that the infantry don't care too much about battle tracking the locations of friendly units or having positive ID on what exactly they're shooting at.

Both of them involved passage of lines, neither had happened yet so obviously the scouts were still in front of them...

Fortunately nobody got hit.

Even during STX/force on force stuff, we would rehearse the passage of lines with the infantry and they would just not do it when it comes time to execute. The funniest time this happened was when we were observing the obstacle belt and the the IN BN we were providing reconnaissance for skipped the passage of lines and almost the entire BN got completely annihilated within a few hundred meters in front of my position.

As Nero Danced posted:

The only ND I've ever seen was a guy making GBS threads his pants.

A CO's gunner in a sister company was jerking off into his fleece beanie for some reason during training out at Yakima. The CO reached for what he thought was his beanie and got his gunners jizz all over his head. No idea how true it is but said gunner was a gross dude in general and that CO was a huge rear end in a top hat so I'd like to believe it. I heard it from the gunner himself while he was my SDNCO one night while I was on staff duty.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pretty sure I've told this story before. A guy in my shop used to be in the Army Guard. He says one night on deployment he awoke to a fistfight because:

Guy 1 dares guy 2 to jizz on guy 3's face while he was sleeping.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Didn’t a coast guard dude whoopsie a few 40mm rounds out of a Mk19 in the Hudson right next to NYC nine or ten years ago?

DC ANG pumped a New Jersey elementary school full of 20mm in '04

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafing_of_the_Little_Egg_Harbor_Intermediate_School

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Casimir Radon posted:

Pretty sure I've told this story before. A guy in my shop used to be in the Army Guard. He says one night on deployment he awoke to a fistfight because:

I like to imagine guy 2 was making the pikachu face when he took the first punch

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Casimir Radon posted:

Now that's what I call a negligent discharge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Casimir Radon posted:

Haven't seen an ND, but we almost never handle weapons. When I qualified last year there was a guy who kept getting yelled at for flagging people. They made a guy "re-qualify" while we were cleaning the M4s, by which I mean he somehow did that in 10 minutes and we didn't hear any shots.

That reminds me of a time I guess I was the idiot, but I think my range coach was. Doing the standing portion of rifle qual, I always placed the ammo box a step behind me, so I'd take one step back and then sit down. The range coach in Okinawa I guess thought I was doing this by mistake, and when I was shooting moved the box right behind me. I took a step back and tripped right over the loving box and down the berm, across the firing line, a good 5 feet in front of it. Cease fire called and I got yelled at. What a poo poo day.