Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

The only time this was true was Melee, where you couldn't charge up C-stick Smashes. Since brawl there's been no difference.

Yay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I can't choose between spoiling all the smash stuff ahead of time or waiting 2 weeks (yikes)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KingSlime posted:

I can't choose between spoiling all the smash stuff ahead of time or waiting 2 weeks (yikes)

If you want a taste without ruining anything substantial check out the leaked music. It’s wonderful.

Particularly this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K7flDDA42n8

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im buying day 1 for the jams

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The jams get in your bones.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

As Nero Danced posted:

Then again isn't nintendo's online play not very good? I can live without splatoon.
Not only would this stop you from ever buying games on the eshop, seems like a pretty dumb assumption to make that there will never be a game you want to play online on switch.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Amppelix posted:

Not only would this stop you from ever buying games on the eshop, seems like a pretty dumb assumption to make that there will never be a game you want to play online on switch.
I never really play online, but yeah the "not able to use the eshop" thing is a much bigger issue.

that's why you wait for the New Switch before doing this :getin:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

Then again isn't nintendo's online play not very good? I can live without splatoon.

speak for yourself, fool

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Isn't it still possible to access the eShop on the Switch even if you're banned from online? Though that would definitely be a much bigger deal than just not being able to play games online.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

If you want a taste without ruining anything substantial check out the leaked music. It’s wonderful.

Particularly this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K7flDDA42n8

Jesus christ that's an incredible song

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

Jesus christ that's an incredible song
they went all out with the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viw9tTbNALQ

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah they did, I'm like 10x more hyped now

How many CV songs did they cram in there?!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

Yeah they did, I'm like 10x more hyped now

How many CV songs did they cram in there?!
oh, only like 30+ of them :haw:

also, not Castlevania but this is one of my favorite remixes and I wanna jam to it all day (make sure you listen to the entire track)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fan7CgxL3gA

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

Isn't it still possible to access the eShop on the Switch even if you're banned from online? Though that would definitely be a much bigger deal than just not being able to play games online.

It varies by person, some people just get banned from online multiplayer (like the 3DS bans) but others have received CDN bans or "superbans" that completely cut them off from Nintendo's servers so they can't access the eShop or even download game/system updates anymore.

I don't know what causes the more severe ban, or if anyone really knows.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah not only are the tunes amazing, there are a lot of them.

They’re raising the bar significantly in regards to game music.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

Yeah not only are the tunes amazing, there are a lot of them.

They’re raising the bar significantly in regards to game music.

we laughed at the woman using the Switch as an mp3 player but she was right

she was right all along

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Amppelix posted:

I didn't mean to imply I was speaking for others but as for myself I'm an antisocial loser so yeah it's a fair assumption.

E: looking at this again I'm coming off a lot bitchier than I meant, I've got a headache and I haven't had much sleep the last few days (I use to love night shift but I'm starting to hate it). Ignore me, I'm a cranky rear end in a top hat

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 25, 2018

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Your Computer posted:

oh, only like 30+ of them :haw:

also, not Castlevania but this is one of my favorite remixes and I wanna jam to it all day (make sure you listen to the entire track)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fan7CgxL3gA
Lol this channel just died

RIP crunchii, got by the nintendo ninjas for posting all the music from an unreleased game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
damnit, I wanted to jam to that a bit more :(

not surprising though, the tracks were from a romdump of an early copy or something right?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Your Computer posted:

we laughed at the woman using the Switch as an mp3 player but she was right

she was right all along

I didn't laugh at that.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Amppelix posted:

Lol this channel just died

RIP crunchii, got by the nintendo ninjas for posting all the music from an unreleased game

Yeah Nintendo is going scorched earth on all the Smash Bros leak uploads because not only did the game leak early but the person uploaded a pirated version of the game, ran a stream, and linked to the pirate ROM of it in the description so there’s been a bunch of people datamining the pirated copy as well as streaming pirated versions as well

mawlok
Apr 2, 2017

Forgive me if this is answered somewhere else but, what would be the most active fighting game on the switch at the moment? I wanna sink some hours into a fight game but no point if I can't find any matches.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

mawlok posted:

Forgive me if this is answered somewhere else but, what would be the most active fighting game on the switch at the moment? I wanna sink some hours into a fight game but no point if I can't find any matches.

Probably Dragon Ball FighterZ at the moment. Smash will definitely be it, by far, in two weeks for the rest of the Switch’s lifespan.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think I might be in the minority, but I have zero issue with the current NES online offering. A lot of those games I grew up with, and yeah, the library could stand to be expanded, but I'm sure that'll happen in time.

Give me Ice Hockey, River City Ransom, and SMB3, and I'm good for a while. :shobon:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Having lived through the virtual console trickle in cycle for the Wii, Wii U and 3ds already, I couldn't give a gently caress less about 3 of the same NES or even SNES games they've been milking for 20 years now.

Start uncorking that GameCube library or dropping some of those Wii titles that made it to WiiU and we might have something to talk about.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Vegastar posted:

Having lived through the virtual console trickle in cycle for the Wii, Wii U and 3ds already, I couldn't give a gently caress less about 3 of the same NES or even SNES games they've been milking for 20 years now.

Start uncorking that GameCube library or dropping some of those Wii titles that made it to WiiU and we might have something to talk about.

I sincerely think that everything GC and later will be released separately via the eshop, but stuff up to and including the N64 will end up on the online service. No way they'll charge $20/year and add in a bunch of GC games. It'd be amazing, but I strongly doubt it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah GC games go in the remastered list which means you can charge full price for em.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vegastar posted:

If only there were some way to do both and please everyone. Hmm...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just love the fact that I can play Ice Hockey with friends who are hours away. :shobon:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I just remember having my WiiU when I still had to go to the laundromat to wash clothes, and thinking how absolutely stupid it was that they didn't at least make the gamepad able to load up some VC games on a little internal storage and play them.

Now we have the Switch, I can play Diablo 3 on the shitter, and there's still no actual VC to take advantage of.

Yes, the online multiplayer for NES games is cool. It's not enough to justify resetting the virtual console clock for the 4th time and starting from further back than the Wii launched with.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think I might be in the minority, but I have zero issue with the current NES online offering. A lot of those games I grew up with, and yeah, the library could stand to be expanded, but I'm sure that'll happen in time.

Give me Ice Hockey, River City Ransom, and SMB3, and I'm good for a while. :shobon:

NES is the console I have the most nostalgia for and then I got a NES mini and SNES mini and quickly realized holy poo poo 99% of NES games are bad

I remember the best of the system so fondly (Mario 3, Megaman, the 10 second music loop from Balloon Fight) that you forget that a huge portion of NES games were basically Atari levels of quality. It doesn't help that the good games have been released like 15 times each

I didn't even bother hacking the NES because imo almost every game worth playing is on there already, while with the SNES you can easily find 100 games to add to the thing that are worth playing

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's kinda cool to see these old games I never knew and some of them are fun for short bouts. I'm genuinely impressed by Metroid (just got the Ice Beam! Gonna beat Kraid!), in a way old Zelda doesn't impress me for being too slow. I could beat Mario Bros 3 again, but I did that just last year on my 3DS so I'm good for now.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Star Tropics on Switch when???

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I sincerely think that everything GC and later will be released separately via the eshop, but stuff up to and including the N64 will end up on the online service. No way they'll charge $20/year and add in a bunch of GC games. It'd be amazing, but I strongly doubt it.

The problem with Gamecube games is the average controller has to have analogue triggers for a general service to work, and none of the standard Nintendo ones have had them since the original GCN ones. With the adapter hitting the Switch for Smash Bros, it's possible that we might see them, but there is a buy-in factor of dropping $80AUD on an adapter and controller to consider.

For someone wanting to get several games, it's not that bad. For those that just want to play one game, it becomes a lot less appealing. Buying the adapter for Smash Bros isn't all that big a factor either, because that's a different (and very select) market being targeted.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem with Gamecube games is the average controller has to have analogue triggers for a general service to work, and none of the standard Nintendo ones have had them since the original GCN ones. With the adapter hitting the Switch for Smash Bros, it's possible that we might see them, but there is a buy-in factor of dropping $80AUD on an adapter and controller to consider.

For someone wanting to get several games, it's not that bad. For those that just want to play one game, it becomes a lot less appealing. Buying the adapter for Smash Bros isn't all that big a factor either, because that's a different (and very select) market being targeted.

How many important GC games take advantage of the analogue triggers?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Andrast posted:

Doesn't matter. For it to function as a service (nevermind emulation-side), it has to be a standardized all-or-nothing thing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Rolo posted:

Agreed. Anyone think they’ll throw out another direct this year or wait until 19?

I looked at the dates of the previous Directs and nah, they don't typically do holiday season Directs.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
For those that care, upgrading SD card space was really easy. The icons didn’t even move from my home screen when I had the new card in, just had to click on each title to start downloading them. Took a total of maybe 1 minute to initialize. Plus as stated before, save data and saved media stays on the system.

Now I have and extra 70gb for 19 bucks, feels good.

Side note: how nuts is it that a tiny chip the size of your pinky nail can hold 400gb?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Andrast posted:

off the top of my head, twin snakes and sunshine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brother Entropy posted:

off the top of my head, twin snakes and sunshine

F-Zero GX, Metroid Prime 1&2, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart Double-Dash. There's more than you think, though some just differentiate a soft/full-click press on them rather than the full sliding-scale.