Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kild posted:

YEah you can 13-2 without playing 13. 13-3 doesn't' really care at all about the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NFmP4fVBqA Just watch this

First 4m is FF13, the other 4 is 13-2.

Make sure to read Caius' parts in your best Liam O'Brien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Caius is still Liam O'Brien's defining role for me. Probably in no small part thanks to the posse LP of XIII-2. The first thing I hear in my head when I think of Liam is him grovelling "Yuel..."

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Well, after releasing all of my spare Blades, selling all my items and chips, and changing Mythra/Pyra's weapon to their basic form, reverting Rex to level 1 and selling off all my bonus EXP...the game's balance is still totally screwed because you can't get rid of the passives or the level of your weapon-specific arts. If I use Mythra, the enemies can't hit me because of my evasion, and if I use Pyra I one-shot crit everything. Even at level 1 I can solo defeat most enemies below level 20 even if I use generic knuckle/bitball Blades. Thankfully, the greatest innovation of the newer consoles is the ability to make multiple profiles for games that only have one save slot (LOOKING AT YOU POKEMON), so I think I'm gonna do a totally clean run.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Caius is still Liam O'Brien's defining role for me. Probably in no small part thanks to the posse LP of XIII-2. The first thing I hear in my head when I think of Liam is him grovelling "Yuel..."

For me it's "Oblivion is the fate of all things."

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Well, after releasing all of my spare Blades, selling all my items and chips, and changing Mythra/Pyra's weapon to their basic form, reverting Rex to level 1 and selling off all my bonus EXP...the game's balance is still totally screwed because you can't get rid of the passives or the level of your weapon-specific arts. If I use Mythra, the enemies can't hit me because of my evasion, and if I use Pyra I one-shot crit everything. Even at level 1 I can solo defeat most enemies below level 20 even if I use generic knuckle/bitball Blades. Thankfully, the greatest innovation of the newer consoles is the ability to make multiple profiles for games that only have one save slot (LOOKING AT YOU POKEMON), so I think I'm gonna do a totally clean run.

You can't just delete the save?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Every one of Caius' lines is great but I favor "EMBRACE THE TERROR!" and "Lies!"

Also one should not skip XIII-2 if only because its music is so good. Granted, you could make the same argument for XIII but XIII is aggressively anti-fun much of the time. Plus XIII-2 re-uses a lot of XIII's best music in addition to its own fantastic soundtrack so who cares about XIII. XIII-2 uses the XIII songs better than XIII did anyway, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Dgj83Q-50

is played in XIII-2 as you watch Noel, last surviving being on the planet, wander alone and wait to die.

Also XIII-2 has my absolute favorite thing in the Chrono-style alternate endings. I've never seen endings like this except in CT, CC and XIII-2. You beat the Big Bad but you skipped everything else so you still done hosed up. It's like going to Northern Crater and killing Sephiroth right away without dismantling Shinra. Or just offing Kefka without stopping Gestahl.

It's really interesting and unique.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 25, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
noel is the rare example of a jrpg protagonist who wasn't angsty enough

that boy was bland

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

One downside of the 13-2 soundtrack is that you'll never actually hear a lot of the best songs because they're versions that only play for like 20 seconds while an enemy is chasing you. Fortunately they did at least recognize this so most of them use that 20 seconds well, like the opening of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g8LctG_Imc

Final boss theme is also good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukxB2TqljzQ

Oxxidation posted:

noel is the rare example of a jrpg protagonist who wasn't angsty enough

that boy was bland

I still couldn't tell you what his actual relation to any other character is. I honestly wonder if he only exists because they were too afraid to have Serah be the main character, though she's not really much better apart from a couple moments. I think that's probably my biggest issue with the game, neither lead is particularly interesting, especially compared to the 13 cast.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 25, 2018

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

chumbler posted:

You can't just delete the save?
Can't play NG+ with the save deleted!

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it RazzleDazzleHour. If you set the difficulty to Bringer of Chaos the game will very quickly catch up to you in power curve, and eventually surpass you unless you have extremely optimal setups going.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Amppelix posted:

Can't play NG+ with the save deleted!

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it RazzleDazzleHour. If you set the difficulty to Bringer of Chaos the game will very quickly catch up to you in power curve, and eventually surpass you unless you have extremely optimal setups going.

Wait woah is this a DLC only difficulty?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chumbler posted:

Final boss theme is also good.

I actually thought the second-to-final boss theme was better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_owwt-ZzV0

Also I really wish we got this version of Unseen Intruder:
https://youtu.be/0SSBwFt74Z0?t=81

quote:

I still couldn't tell you what his actual relation to any other character is. I honestly wonder if he only exists because they were too afraid to have Serah be the main character, though she's not really much better apart from a couple moments. I think that's probably my biggest issue with the game, neither lead is particularly interesting, especially compared to the 13 cast.

I will agree with this. I liked XIII's cast quite a lot and they definitely beat Serah and Noel. The problem was XIII banked everything on the cast. Nothing else gets nearly enough attention in the game. So as much as I liked Snow, Hope, Vanille and Sazh, they alone aren't enough to make me prefer it to XIII-2.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Wait woah is this a DLC only difficulty?
No, it got patched in for free, alongside a whole bunch of other difficulty options. Go take a look at the options menu.

E: Nope, that was wrong. It is DLC only. That's lame. I was sure it was a free update, but turns out only easy mode was free.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 25, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Amppelix posted:

No, it got patched in for free, alongside a whole bunch of other difficulty options. Go take a look at the options menu.

E: Nope, that was wrong. It is DLC only. That's lame. I was sure it was a free update, but turns out only easy mode was free.

Okay yeah this makes sense, I couldn't find anything about it. I didn't realize the expansion pass comes with Torna though, I thought it was gonna be 70 for the whole deal, so maaaaaaybe I could pick it up? Is BoC meant for a new file or is it pretty much exclusively a NG+ thing

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I will agree with this. I liked XIII's cast quite a lot and they definitely beat Serah and Noel. The problem was XIII banked everything on the cast. Nothing else gets nearly enough attention in the game. So as much as I liked Snow, Hope, Vanille and Sazh, they alone aren't enough to make me prefer it to XIII-2.

I'd say it's less an intentional decision and more that character designs (appearance and basic personality) are more capable of surviving a directionless development process than other elements

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I dunno, Caius always seemed kinda... wasted potential to me.

It's like Toriyama started out with "MOST POWERFUL FF ANTAGONIST EVER" written in 25 point font in the middle of a page, worked outward from there, and kinda got Caius.

Lezard Valeth though, that is peak Liam O'Brien

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MechaX posted:

I dunno, Caius always seemed kinda... wasted potential to me.

It's like Toriyama started out with "MOST POWERFUL FF ANTAGONIST EVER" written in 25 point font in the middle of a page, worked outward from there, and kinda got Caius.

Lezard Valeth though, that is peak Liam O'Brien

Bow to me.

WORSHIP me!

HONOR MY NAAAAAME!

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Lezard is so cool

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Lightning is the most powerful because she invented France

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Okay yeah this makes sense, I couldn't find anything about it. I didn't realize the expansion pass comes with Torna though, I thought it was gonna be 70 for the whole deal, so maaaaaaybe I could pick it up? Is BoC meant for a new file or is it pretty much exclusively a NG+ thing
You can play it on a new file, and it's not impossible, but it does require you to really know what you're doing and use optimal strategies. You can change difficulty any time though, and the DLC also comes with a wonderful custom difficulty menu where you have sliders for every conceivable aspect of difficulty you could want to adjust, so you'll probably be able to find a satisfying balance for yourself with some occasional adjusting.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

CubeTheory posted:

Lezard is so cool

he's one of my favourite villains, going to insane lengths to get some

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
By the end he's so hosed up he doesn't want to get laid he wants to physically merge with her body

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm replaying zwei!! and i'm glad to report that zwei!! is still a good game

please play zwei!!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think the thread for it got archived and it is an RPG I guess but is anyone still playing Let It Die? I fell off of it on ps4 launch at like floor 14 but I gave it another shot on PC and am at floor 26. I'm enjoying it more now that theres some QOL additions but enemies in the latter half of the third area seriously have too much hp and do too much damage.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Okay, so what SNES JRPGs are still good to play today? I got a SD2SNES that I want to put to use.

I've played Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, SMT II, and Final Fantasy VI already.

Kild posted:

super mario rpg, secret of mana, terranigma, live a live, mystic quest, bahamut lagoon, BoF 2

In addition to those:

Lufia 2
Mystic Ark
Final Fantasy 5
Dragon Quest 3
Shadowrun
Soul Blazer
Secret of Evermore

Mystic Ark, FF5, and DQ3 all have fan translation patches. I'd also recommend Tactics Ogre but there's no reason to play the SFC version over the PSX version, or the PSP version if you would rather give up end game absurdity like reanimate+retissue and snapdragon in exchange for the most time-wasting grind bullshit possible.

PSX Tactics Ogre is the superior version even with the various rombacks you can use to shortcut the god awful skill/class/etc grinding BS on the PSP, though both are still filled with lots of bullshit and incredibly stupid and suicidal AI characters you need to save/not kill.

NikkolasKing posted:

FFXIII
FFXIII-2
Lightning Returns
Infinite Undiscovery
Star Ocean The Last Hope
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Tales of Vesperia

That is clearly more than five! Good day.

I can't say I'd recommend all of that list, though.

The only good suggestions on your list are Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, and maybe Blue Dragon. There's no shortage of mediocre-to-awful RPGs on the 360 like Eternal Sonata and Last Remnant but nobody should waste their time on those.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the question is do you play mystic ark with the aeon genesis tl or the tl edited by the guy who inserted a bunch of right-wing political commentary into super shell monster story

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think the thread for it got archived and it is an RPG I guess but is anyone still playing Let It Die? I fell off of it on ps4 launch at like floor 14 but I gave it another shot on PC and am at floor 26. I'm enjoying it more now that theres some QOL additions but enemies in the latter half of the third area seriously have too much hp and do too much damage.

it's an F2P game so the difficulty curve skyrockets after the first boss to make you buy more continues

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Colonel posted:

the question is do you play mystic ark with the aeon genesis tl or the tl edited by the guy who inserted a bunch of right-wing political commentary into super shell monster story

lol wut

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Hell yeah I wanna play that version

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

why is everything always so stupid

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

why is everything always so stupid

What are you talking about, Claude? Just use CRIME HAZARD on Sephiroth already.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What are you talking about, Claude? Just use CRIME HAZARD on Sephiroth already.

pear into peaches mother fucker

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mythra got some changes made for her smash appearance.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

lmao

Dehry posted:

Mythra got some changes made for her smash appearance.

I kinda like it better to be honest. Leggings, are good

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
no bare legs in smash

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Will be playing my first Fire Emblem soon: Fire Emblem for gba, the first released in English, and was hoping to acquire suggestions from you all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cheetah7071 posted:

no bare legs in smash

It's more the concern of upskirt shots.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

The game's pretty good at explaining itself, really. I honestly can't think of any advice to give.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

this doesn't even make sense

souls would be under the purview of fish & wildlife, or perhaps the dlnr

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean there are no upskirts to be had from a 2d illustration with no animations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's more the concern of upskirt shots.

She only shows up as a 2D image.