Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Craig T Nelson was the monster in Flesh Gordon????? :wtc::psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
My favourite VFX shot from the whole show is from 'Severed Dreams': the one where a couple of Thunderbolts do a Stuka run on C&C and one gets a wing blown off by the point defences, but keeps going along its original course and tumbles straight into the bow of the station - with the camera following it all the way in.

'Severed Dreams' in general really raised the bar for CG as a replacement for motion controlled modelwork in general; not just the sheer volume of shots, but the scale and choreography of the action. It was basically Return of the Jedi, but on a (small) TV budget and schedule. Sure, the models are low-detail by modern standards, but everything is moving so fast and fluidly (and consistently through consecutive shots) that you don't have time to care.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Also the Agrippa/Roanoke thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doctor Zero posted:

Craig T Nelson was the monster in Flesh Gordon????? :wtc::psyduck:

You didn't just watch Knives, by any chance?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Payndz posted:

My favourite VFX shot from the whole show is from 'Severed Dreams': the one where a couple of Thunderbolts do a Stuka run on C&C and one gets a wing blown off by the point defences, but keeps going along its original course and tumbles straight into the bow of the station - with the camera following it all the way in.

'Severed Dreams' in general really raised the bar for CG as a replacement for motion controlled modelwork in general; not just the sheer volume of shots, but the scale and choreography of the action. It was basically Return of the Jedi, but on a (small) TV budget and schedule. Sure, the models are low-detail by modern standards, but everything is moving so fast and fluidly (and consistently through consecutive shots) that you don't have time to care.

That was the first space battle in B5 that really seemed like a pitched battle. Everything prior to that had been either a bunch of slow moving warships shooting lasers, or a small amount of fighters coasting around the screen.

I almost forgot the Centauri attack in S2 but that wasn't really memorable or dramatic in the same way.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

McSpanky posted:

There's also the very first monorail shot with Ivanova in it where something hosed up with the chroma key and her uniform turned deep green with a black center panel, they couldn't even spring for half a minute of color correction?

Deep Space Nine had a budget of about $1.5 million per episode. B5 had a budget of $800,000 per episode. So no, they probably couldn't spring for half a minute of color correction.

Warners has not wanted to spend an extra dime on the show for VHS or DVD or streaming, from what I've seen.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Are you sure? I get the sense that modeling file formats have an obscenely long shelf-life. LightWave has been used as recently as in Lost. :shrug:

I think Lost was closer to B5 than we are to Lost now.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Midjack posted:

I think Lost was closer to B5 than we are to Lost now.

It ended 8 years ago, started in 2004 while B5 ended in 1998, so 6 years beforehand... so I guess you're kind of right, but 8 years ago isn't much in file format years, I think.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Jedit posted:

You didn't just watch Knives, by any chance?

No, why? Although I’ve seen the series 3 times now. Wait. 4

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Narsham posted:

Deep Space Nine had a budget of about $1.5 million per episode. B5 had a budget of $800,000 per episode. So no, they probably couldn't spring for half a minute of color correction.

Warners has not wanted to spend an extra dime on the show for VHS or DVD or streaming, from what I've seen.

I know, that wasn't a criticism of the production, it's just like "hey guys, we have a brief but important scene that for :techno: reasons came out looking like it's from an alternate universe, can we get a few thou to fix it in post?" *beancounters furiously tapping at calculators for ten seconds* "...No."

Good things aren't produced by WB, but in spite of them.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Payndz posted:

Yes, that's a really great sequence, and the pyrotechnics with the actors really links what happening outside with the danger to the crew.

Spoiler: here's that shot!

quote:

Totally. I've always thought the majority of the seasons 2-3 CG on Babylon 5 was really cinematic. It's not just that the lack of motion control limitations meant they could do more. The team at Foundation really knew how to fill the frame with action without it being confusing. Sometimes, modern CG takes that freedom too far and action is confusing.

I could bang on about the quality of B5's CG all day.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Maelstache posted:

Ron Thornton confirmed as much in an interview years back. The problem isn't sourcing the models necessarily, it's that the technology and software involved is so archaic(we're talking Lightwave and Video Toaster here) that even if all the model data survives I doubt it would be of much use.

Lightwave is very backwards compatible (I'm the one guy that still uses it) - the current version will load stuff from the B5 era, although there would probably need to be a few tweaks. Procedural textures like on the Vorlon ships and jump points would probably need to be remade, but if all the original files were intact I really don't think it would be a big job, relatively speaking.

The most recent use of it in TV/movie productions that I could find was last year's Wind River, for some surprisingly good snow FX.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIGp2XL9QrU

LW definitely seems to have dropped off a cliff in the past few years in terms of use.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Severed Dreams is an amazing episode all around. Not just for the great CGI, it has a great story, character development, acting, the whole gamut. Quotable one liners for days. Even apart from the most famous quote, hearing "There's nothing we can do except..." still sends chills down my spine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

No, why? Although I’ve seen the series 3 times now. Wait. 4

Because it's the only episode I can think of that connects Flesh Gordon to B5. One of the Centauri nobles is William Dennis Hunt, who played Wang the Perverted.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jedit posted:

Because it's the only episode I can think of that connects Flesh Gordon to B5. One of the Centauri nobles is William Dennis Hunt, who played Wang the Perverted.

We've just been talking about Flesh Gordon (due to the Knives connection originally, but then more generally)

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I've lost my stamina for episode-by-episode recaps but I am plugging my way through the third season. The descent of EarthGov into fascism is a wild ride. I am trying to imagine the reception this show would get if it was aired today. (Answer: it wouldn't, there would be too much focus on putting a morally grey "maybe they're doing the wrong thing for the right reasons" spin on Earth politics.)

I just finished the episode that was a two-part followup to Babylon Squared. I love time travel plots. I know it's kind of like stage magic, applauding someone for making a tricky called shot when really they were in total control of the outcome the whole time, but it's so satisfying to see everything wrap up and resolve from a different perspective. Even though it's the literal definition of a retcon.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m at about the same place in my watch, and as an adult in 2018 I find the show’s depiction of the slide into fascism as thoughtful and well-done. Who knows what I would have thought at the time though: I recently rewatched the Ds9 where they go back in time and team up with Dick Miller to liberate the poor-people concentration camps, and while I found it timely and thoughtful now, as a pampered white 90s teen I thought it was hyperbolic and preachy.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

wizzardstaff posted:

I just finished the episode that was a two-part followup to Babylon Squared. I love time travel plots. I know it's kind of like stage magic, applauding someone for making a tricky called shot when really they were in total control of the outcome the whole time, but it's so satisfying to see everything wrap up and resolve from a different perspective. Even though it's the literal definition of a retcon.

It wasn’t 100% in JMS’s control though because he lost Michael O’Hare between Babylon Squared and WWE. I have to imagine that required some effort to bend the whole storyline to where Sinclair could still be The One and Sheridan/Delenn were still the main characters. I wonder what that would have looked like if O’Hare had stuck around for the whole run - would that 2 parter have been the series closer at the end of season 5?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

head58 posted:

It wasn’t 100% in JMS’s control though because he lost Michael O’Hare between Babylon Squared and WWE. I have to imagine that required some effort to bend the whole storyline to where Sinclair could still be The One and Sheridan/Delenn were still the main characters. I wonder what that would have looked like if O’Hare had stuck around for the whole run - would that 2 parter have been the series closer at the end of season 5?

Pretty sure that was the original treatment, or at least the concept at some point in drafting. The cycle would be have been closed at the end of the series, when Sinclair got sent back to be Valen.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
What I meant by total control was that if Babylon Squared was a called shot, War Without End was a target that could be moved exactly where it was needed. No matter what happens while the shot is traveling through the air, it's guaranteed to make a bullseye.

I do agree that it feels like the episode came at an unoptimal time though. When I watched Babylon Squared I was expecting the payoff to be a pivotal climax, not halfway through a season that up until then had felt more focused on earth politics. From a meta sense it did smell a little bit like needing to wrap up Michael O'Hare's involvement in a timely manner.

Also, speaking of called shots and looking even more forward into the future, in those scenes with Londo: was the "friend" on his neck supposed to be a callback to the parasites from Exogenesis earlier in the season, or is that something unknown that I am still supposed to be mystified and intrigued by with current knowledge? It didn't look the same, but I'll admit that I wasn't paying close attention to the screen during that earlier episode and might have missed something.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

wizzardstaff posted:

Also, speaking of called shots and looking even more forward into the future, in those scenes with Londo: was the "friend" on his neck supposed to be a callback to the parasites from Exogenesis earlier in the season, or is that something unknown that I am still supposed to be mystified and intrigued by with current knowledge? It didn't look the same, but I'll admit that I wasn't paying close attention to the screen during that earlier episode and might have missed something.

The latter.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m at about the same place in my watch, and as an adult in 2018 I find the show’s depiction of the slide into fascism as thoughtful and well-done. Who knows what I would have thought at the time though: I recently rewatched the Ds9 where they go back in time and team up with Dick Miller to liberate the poor-people concentration camps, and while I found it timely and thoughtful now, as a pampered white 90s teen I thought it was hyperbolic and preachy.

To me, that set of B5 episodes seems all too credible, and DS9's a bit quaint in that the solution is to let normal people know about the suffering. Both kind of a dark tack, frankly.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

wizzardstaff posted:

I've lost my stamina for episode-by-episode recaps but I am plugging my way through the third season. The descent of EarthGov into fascism is a wild ride. I am trying to imagine the reception this show would get if it was aired today. (Answer: it wouldn't, there would be too much focus on putting a morally grey "maybe they're doing the wrong thing for the right reasons" spin on Earth politics.)

:allears:
this is not a single smiley reply and not sarcastic. I genuinely want to see your thoughts on this in the future.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Doctor Zero posted:

this is not a single smiley reply and not sarcastic. I genuinely want to see your thoughts on this in the future.

Haha, gladly. I know I love gleefully watching people experiencing the things I love for the first time. This is like 60% of why I am excited to become a parent.

Maybe there will be more shades of gray in the future, but right now as of Season 3 EarthGov is being portrayed pretty starkly in black and white. We've got subliminal messages in commercials, informants wearing armbands, political coups, suppression/control of the media, and outright collaboration with nefarious alien powers. No one from the government is really being cast in a sympathetic light.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MrL_JaKiri posted:

We've just been talking about Flesh Gordon (due to the Knives connection originally, but then more generally)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068595/characters/nm0005266

The video clip on YouTube was taken down or I'd link that.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

wizzardstaff posted:

"maybe they're doing the wrong thing for the right reasons"

OMG!!

Doctor Zero posted:

Oh, please!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Oh god, Delenn said something in the last episode about "the only way to avoid this [presumably referring to the destruction of Centauri Prime but also potentially some other future conflict] is by surrendering to the Shadows" and that's gonna be foreshadowing, isn't it. :aaa:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Platonicsolid posted:

Pretty sure that was the original treatment, or at least the concept at some point in drafting. The cycle would be have been closed at the end of the series, when Sinclair got sent back to be Valen.

Not in the original plan. Spoilers for the plan of a TV show that got abandoned entirely: Originally, Sinclair would have been bringing B4 twenty years into the future to help in the war against almost everyone, after the Minbari warrior caste destroy Babylon 5 following the destruction of a massive Vorlon ship by Shadowmen and Centauri which got blamed on Earth. This would have been part of a spinoff Babylon Prime series that resolves the war and ends with Sinclair, alone, fishing.

Most of the time, I'm just grateful we didn't get anything near to that in the actual show. Every so often, I find myself wondering if Ron Moore read that treatment and liked how it ended.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Plenty of great ideas have turned out terrible, plenty of terrible sounding ideas have turned out great. Maybe it would have worked!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

wizzardstaff posted:

Haha, gladly. I know I love gleefully watching people experiencing the things I love for the first time. This is like 60% of why I am excited to become a parent.

Maybe there will be more shades of gray in the future, but right now as of Season 3 EarthGov is being portrayed pretty starkly in black and white. We've got subliminal messages in commercials, informants wearing armbands, political coups, suppression/control of the media, and outright collaboration with nefarious alien powers. No one from the government is really being cast in a sympathetic light.

What about the junior security guy? He makes kind of a plausible case for not trusting Garibaldi in light of how shady the main characters look from the outside. And it’s not like he just goes fash because they lied to him and froze him out. He just gets confused for a while in a pretty plausible way.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

What about the junior security guy? He makes kind of a plausible case for not trusting Garibaldi in light of how shady the main characters look from the outside. And it’s not like he just goes fash because they lied to him and froze him out. He just gets confused for a while in a pretty plausible way.

He goes fash because it's easy money for doing nothing, then when more duties are required of him than just wearing an armband he realizes it's a shitshow and exits pretty much as soon as possible.

I interpreted that as illustrative of how the fascist Earth government swelled its ranks by duping/enticing people, not of the government being less evil.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

wizzardstaff posted:

What I meant by total control was that if Babylon Squared was a called shot, War Without End was a target that could be moved exactly where it was needed. No matter what happens while the shot is traveling through the air, it's guaranteed to make a bullseye.

That's assuming that there would even be another season in which to wrap it up. This is early 1990's TV, not a good time for a non-Star Trek genre show to make such predictions. It was a pretty reckless gamble in a show with many reckless gambles.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It seems so dumb and cheesy and then you find out that the rise of actual fascism is super dumb and filled with cheesy obvious lies.

The real world seems so badly written at times.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

It seems so dumb and cheesy and then you find out that the rise of actual fascism is super dumb and filled with cheesy obvious lies.

Looking forward to seeing reactions to the rest of season 3 since it contains possibly my all-time favourite "holy poo poo" ending to a season. It's not even really a cliffhanger, it's just a "yup, everything just went to poo poo" ending.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

SlothfulCobra posted:

What I loved about that slide isn't that it was due to some leader people rallied behind, but that people just stood back and let it happen. Clark was the figurehead, but there was an orchestrated attempt by powers to get the population of Earth to get behind an authoritarian regime using all-too-familiar rhetoric.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dirty posted:

Looking forward to seeing reactions to the rest of season 3 since it contains possibly my all-time favourite "holy poo poo" ending to a season. It's not even really a cliffhanger, it's just a "yup, everything just went to poo poo" ending.

refresh my memory? it's been a while

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

dreadmojo posted:

refresh my memory? it's been a while

Seriously?

Franklin in critical condition in Medlab, Sheridan missing and (correctly) presumed dead, the Interstellar Alliance falling apart in his absence, and the Shadows and the Vorlons in full on insane mode. Literally the only thing that goes right is that the Shadows don't destroy B5.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

This thread inspired me to do my own rewatch (probably my sixth time through the show). I hadn't consciously noticed the subtle shift in Ivanova's behavior in season 2 in my earlier watching. With Sinclair she's a little stiff. With Sheridan, since they've served together before, she's more relaxed, and even willing to tease him.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Jedit posted:

Seriously?

Franklin in critical condition in Medlab, Sheridan missing and (correctly) presumed dead, the Interstellar Alliance falling apart in his absence, and the Shadows and the Vorlons in full on insane mode. Literally the only thing that goes right is that the Shadows don't destroy B5.

Also has my favorite G'Kar monologue in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Jedit posted:

Seriously?

You also forgot Garibaldi gets kidnapped by the Shadows.