Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Gonna have 3 mech bays of hatchets to throw at missions and develop my Merc image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Cyrano4747 posted:

Then you've got clan poo poo down the road where they're literally wiring their nervous systems into the mechs and making people go insane. That's a bit more clearly on the jaeger end of the spectrum.

Eventually they get into Manei Domini Buffered VDNI poo poo and the Gestalt where they're literally cyborgs plugging themselves into bigger bodies.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

TheCenturion posted:

Like, it's not that your Wasp has a 'medium laser.' Your Wasp has a 'CompanyTech Medium Laser model CTML-193x.' Now, the 193x series has Moly1 style power couplers, only accepts a RS-1395 connector for the electronics interconnect, and the Wasp's battlecomputer has drivers for it. Unfortunately, that ML got damaged in that last fight, and we don't have any CTML-193X lasers kicking around. Now, we DO have a Hasperion Medium Laser HML-9923, BUT the casing for it doesn't physically fit, so we need to do a hackjob there. The HM-9923 is expecting a completely different voltage/amperage/hertz/whatever, AND uses a Moly5 style power coupler, so we needed to put in a voltage converter and a kitbashed Moly1-Moly5 coupler. Also, it doesn't use RS-1395, but instead uses a PP-5537 coupler. Unfortunately, your Wasp's battlecomp doesn't HAVE any PP jacks, LET ALONE PP-5537. Now, that's unfortunate, because the HML-9923 does some really neat things with the increased bandwidth, but you're going to miss out on it. Also, the battlecomputer never had drivers for the HML-9923. Now, the thing DOES have drivers for HML-8000 series Medium Lasers, so we can use those, BUT, the 9000 series has a shorter focal length, which means the targeting is always going to be off. We've adjusted with a blanket compensation, but if the opponent is close, aim a bit to the left, and if he's far away, aim a bit to the right. Sorry kid, best we can do until we find a new CTML-190 series.'
This is A Good Post. I wonder what Mitch would do if I proposed something like this for a difficulty setting. i bet we could whip up a procedural tech-nonsense generator pretty quickly.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Manny Dominos is here to take your BV away.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
The neurohelmet's plugged into the mech's computer, which translates what the pilot wants the mech to do into a functional set of commands for the myomers/actuators/gyro to perform the action. The setup's not quite speed-of-thought (unless you're a fanatic that doesn't mind reducing their lifespan to jam metal bits into their nerves), but it permits more precise maneuvers than basic throttle/steering allows. The computer's aren't advanced enough to do much without a pilot, and certainly not combat, but they allow pilots to perform a lot of feats in lore that don't appear in either the tabletop or any of the video games, like carefully picking up something with the mech's hands, sidestepping, or leaning the mech's shoulder into a charge.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

mods changed my name posted:

you know the battlemech argument is great and yall got me there, i was thinking more general poo poo like "ECM" and "coolant" when I typed that

Also part of the explanation for people missing all the time and stuff like that is that the 'Mechs are firing out so much ECM and spoofing and misdirection at each other that their targetting computers are totally screwed and people are having to eyeball stuff.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

isildur posted:

This is A Good Post. I wonder what Mitch would do if I proposed something like this for a difficulty setting. i bet we could whip up a procedural tech-nonsense generator pretty quickly.

I mean, you’ve already got the +whatever devices, just make matching -whatever devices and get rid of the baseline device. Or, if you want to be a real dick, the player finds out after installation if a given weapon is +whatever or -whatever.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

I mean, you’ve already got the +whatever devices, just make matching -whatever devices and get rid of the baseline device. Or, if you want to be a real dick, the player finds out after installation if a given weapon is +whatever or -whatever.

I could also see add-on events like what happens once you finally put together enough parts to salvage an Atlas:

Yang V. posted:

Boss, we've got a problem with the big boy in the toy box. I tried my best, but this AS7-D salvage comes from three different manufactures across 200 years of production. I got the base structure of a classic Quentin Independence series, serials from the old Star League. It's a true beauty, up to where we blew it up. Then I got arm and legs from both Yori 'Mechworks and Defiance Industries. The Yori and Independence stuff works alright, got to give it to the Drac's for homogeneity. But this new hardware out of Defiance is just out of spec. It's all just a little too long and somehow also too small. Like the Defiance Atlas is taller and lanky compared to the others. Either we put the Defiance gear and have to order for some very expensive adapters and parts, or we put this one on hold until we can salvage some more parts from a Yori model.

Event Options posted:

A. I need the Atlas fully mission capable, spare no expense. (1,000,000 Cbills to order custom adapters, completes AS7-D without issue)

B. MACHINE SHOP: Can we just make some adapters and spacers in the machine shop? (Completes AS7-D without issue)

C. Shelve it, sell those Defiance parts in the mean time. Let's hold off until we get more salvage. (Lose one AS7-D part, gain [market price for 1 part AS7] Cbills)

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

TheCenturion posted:

Nah, you don't have to do that. They can totally test-fire the weapons without having to take them into combat. What you COULD do is have a reliability rating, where firing the same weapon too much can cause it to jam or fault. More damage but lower reliability? Higher reliability but lower range? Yeah, I'd love that. Heck, I'd play a management sim where I'm just doing all this detail-heavy loadout stuff and sending the troops out on their missions, and then I DON'T actually control them on the field. Would also let you drop two lances, detail specific mechs/pilots to Flanker, Fire Support, Brawler, Scout, etc. Increase the cost of dropping more tonnage, so there's actually a good reason to use less than the maximum amount of the heaviest mechs you have. Let you repair more than one mech at once, or focus your repairs to get a particular one up quicker (but with increased repair times across the board, to balance). poo poo, I would play the gently caress out of that team-management sim.

Phrosphor posted:

Also part of the explanation for people missing all the time and stuff like that is that the 'Mechs are firing out so much ECM and spoofing and misdirection at each other that their targetting computers are totally screwed and people are having to eyeball stuff.

Of course, what they have in real life but don't do in Battletech universe is stuff that identifies and homes in specifically on ECM platforms. They put out so much electronic noise, they should be easy to lock in and hit. But yeah, all the weapons are pretty obviously manually aimed. There's no computing lead to hit that Jenner that's running past in front of you, no locking in your torso rotation to make sure you hit them with the full length of your medium laser beam. You're aiming that poo poo yourself and pressing the trigger. You gotta eyeball it, and sometimes your cross-hairs aren't centered very well because you just got rocked by a fuckload of lurms and the drat gimball ain't recovered yet.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Amechwarrior posted:

I could also see add-on events like what happens once you finally put together enough parts to salvage an Atlas:

So, my thought with this is it can't fire if you salvage a whole mech by pilot death.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
BattleTech: Merc Quartermaster.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

imweasel09 posted:

So, my thought with this is it can't fire if you salvage a whole mech by pilot death.

No problem, I got Jump Jets and DFA/Arm Mods a plenty.

TheCenturion posted:

BattleTech: Merc Quartermaster.

BATTLETECH: Battling Technology

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Another thing to consider wrt to hitting mechs is that they're supposed to be really nimble. Most of the games don't show them that way, but myomer is basically super strong space magic artificial muscle and they're articulated like a human being because that's a proven way to build a skeleton and it meshes well with the neurohelmet. The MechAssault games are closer to how a mech should move than the mechwarrior games. They can skid to a stop or switch directions like a human on foot, and they will - because a mech pilot is an elite soldier, otherwise they'd be driving something cheaper.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

wiegieman posted:

Another thing to consider wrt to hitting mechs is that they're supposed to be really nimble. Most of the games don't show them that way, but myomer is basically super strong space magic artificial muscle and they're articulated like a human being because that's a proven way to build a skeleton and it meshes well with the neurohelmet. The MechAssault games are closer to how a mech should move than the mechwarrior games. They can skid to a stop or switch directions like a human on foot, and they will - because a mech pilot is an elite soldier, otherwise they'd be driving something cheaper.

A nontrivial number of Mech Pilots are, in fact, hereditary louts who inherited their machine as part of their station in society.

You can't strip them of their commission because that would be terribly rude and you could really use the extra mech on your side.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Voyager I posted:

A nontrivial number of Mech Pilots are, in fact, hereditary louts who inherited their machine as part of their station in society.

You can't strip them of their commission because that would be terribly rude and you could really use the extra mech on your side.

Except that members of the hereditary nobility have the time and money to spend to BECOME good mech pilots. Heck, that's pretty obvious even in THIS specific Battletech game. The reason Raju was able to teach Kamea to become an excellent mech pilot? Not because she was a natural-born robot driver. Because she came from SERIOUS NOBILITY that could afford to hire the absolute best mechwarrior instructor for lightyears, and pay that person to be her personal trainer. And then she had the free time to devote to learning to pilot them, instead of having to work for a living.

Hell, there's even an in-game event that echoes it. You have two pilots that fight, one because they're nobility and one because they don't like the noble telling them what to do. If you have a gym and tell them to go fight it out? The one with the nobility background uses a move that the game outright says they learned and practiced with a specialized instructor, and give the other pilot 1x Injury.

Having money and privilege doesn't mean you're automatically better than someone else. But it does mean that you can devote more time and energy to building up difficult skills than less-privileged people. And that sure looks like being better until you even the playing field.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Cobbsprite posted:

Except that members of the hereditary nobility have the time and money to spend to BECOME good mech pilots. Heck, that's pretty obvious even in THIS specific Battletech game. The reason Raju was able to teach Kamea to become an excellent mech pilot? Not because she was a natural-born robot driver. Because she came from SERIOUS NOBILITY that could afford to hire the absolute best mechwarrior instructor for lightyears, and pay that person to be her personal trainer. And then she had the free time to devote to learning to pilot them, instead of having to work for a living.

Hell, there's even an in-game event that echoes it. You have two pilots that fight, one because they're nobility and one because they don't like the noble telling them what to do. If you have a gym and tell them to go fight it out? The one with the nobility background uses a move that the game outright says they learned and practiced with a specialized instructor, and give the other pilot 1x Injury.

Having money and privilege doesn't mean you're automatically better than someone else. But it does mean that you can devote more time and energy to building up difficult skills than less-privileged people. And that sure looks like being better until you even the playing field.

At the same time, one of the factions is stereotyped as having an utterly useless nepotistic officer class, with enlisted soldiery and mechwarriors doing most of the heavy lifting to make up for their idiocy in combat.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

At the same time, one of the factions is stereotyped as having an utterly useless nepotistic officer class, with enlisted soldiery and mechwarriors doing most of the heavy lifting to make up for their idiocy in combat.

Well obviously the fact that you CAN devote the time and energy to become better than someone without your advantages doesn't mean that you necessarily will choose to do so. You could always go and sip a space mimosa while talking about the time you banged a space supermodel in the cockpit of your space robot. You just get your poo poo pushed in by Sally Trieshard when the AC/10 ammo is live instead of dummy.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

You also can't pay someone to make you smarter like you can pay someone to put a lot of hours into training you to shoot stuff.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

wiegieman posted:

You also can't pay someone to make you smarter like you can pay someone to put a lot of hours into training you to shoot stuff.

Pretty sure you can. It may not change your intelligence, but I know a hell of a lot more about a certain thing after I paid a guy to spend several hours teaching me about it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

wiegieman posted:

Uhh you absolutely can

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Cobbsprite posted:

Well obviously the fact that you CAN devote the time and energy to become better than someone without your advantages doesn't mean that you necessarily will choose to do so. You could always go and sip a space mimosa while talking about the time you banged a space supermodel in the cockpit of your space robot. You just get your poo poo pushed in by Sally Trieshard when the AC/10 ammo is live instead of dummy.

I wasn't disagreeing with you! I was just pointing out you refuted my statement with. Really good noble mechwarriors, and really bad noble mechwarriors exist at the same time!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Phrosphor posted:

I wasn't disagreeing with you! I was just pointing out you refuted my statement with. Really good noble mechwarriors, and really bad noble mechwarriors exist at the same time!

How many things (planets, moons, spacestations, asteriods, etc) do humans inhabit in BT? Has anyone ever said what the population is?

I imagine with that size, literally anything and everything has happened. And is happening.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Uhh you absolutely can

You need something to start with. The problem with the Steiners is that they put people through officer training who absolutely don't belong there and give them straight A's because they don't want to piss off their right family.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

wiegieman posted:

You need something to start with. The problem with the Steiners is that they put people through officer training who absolutely don't belong there and give them straight A's because they don't want to piss off their right family.

Well, obviously that family provides something more valuable than putting up with one lovely mechwarrior.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
So if I haven't played this since launch what should I know about Roguetech before jumping in?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Cirofren posted:

So if I haven't played this since launch what should I know about Roguetech before jumping in?

I'll second this question. I haven't touched it, and I'm hesitant to do so right before the Big Expansion drops.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Roguetech is a mod. The first DLC is called Flashpoint.

Someone amend the title, please.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Phrosphor posted:

I thought ALL the great houses did that.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Tarquinn posted:

Someone amend the title, please.

I put in a request for a title change, but given it's the holidays, give 'em time.
Battletech: Flashpoint - Nov. 27th HBS is going to give you Crabs.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Tarquinn posted:

Yep! I would like to know anything you wish you knew going into Roguetech.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

isildur posted:

Yess

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Q_res posted:

I put in a request for a title change, but given it's the holidays, give 'em time.
Battletech: Flashpoint - Nov. 27th HBS is going to give you Crabs.

Ya me too, I'll hit up vg in discord

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Comstar posted:

I thought ALL the great houses did that.

To some degree, yes, but nowhere near as bad as House Steiner, who Q_res is referring to.

See, in the Lyran Commonwealth, they created a group of people known as the Social Generals, who were distinguished not for their military capabilities but for their political influence (I suppose to some degree like a Kentucky Colonel). These Social Generals took the "General" part of the title far more literally than expected and started forcing their way into the actual military. They started cultivating the patronage of the actual officers of the LCAF, and their officers in turn became less concerned with being actually competent with their jobs and more concerned with finding influential patrons amongst the nobility who could put in some good pressure when their name came up for promotion, causing the higher ranks to eventually be filled less with actual, good military officers and more filled with sycophantic puppets of influential nobles. This problem was compounded by the screwed competent nobles basically saying "gently caress you, I'm out" and going over to Galatea, which was in their space, to join up with and form their own mercenary companies. A lot of their best soldiers also said "wait gently caress this I don't want to die under Stupid von Idiot's command, I'm leaving too!"

Fortunately for House Steiner their industrial base is so strong that they can match their losses caused by their moronic command structure rather easily. Not to mention, their slow-moving-tidal-wave-of-assault-mech approach definitely can work at times.

Now, on the other side, House Davion doesn't have that industrial base, and their military is structured around outhinking and outteching you, much like the US military of the modern day. Asymmetrical Warfare. It's one of the reasons the Capellans, Kuritans, and Mariks collectively poo poo themselves massively when in a few years after this game the fact the fact that Hanse and Melissa Steiner are getting married with the intent to merge their realms, because all of a sudden the Lyran Juggernaut is going to be merged with the FedSuns's VERY competent officer corp, meaning "oh poo poo we're hosed." And indeed, after the War of '39 gives the FedSuns half of the FedCom the bargaining power to merge the militaries formally into the AFFC, they look poised to dominate the Inner Sphere.

Which causes the Clans in turn to get real terrified that the Star League is about to re-form without them and they decide to come calling, which causes Hanse to stress the gently caress out and die of a heart attack, and gives Victor Steiner-Davion power, who promptly proceeds to gently caress it all up because he's not his dad, and his sister's a literal psycopath who will do anything for power.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

spacetoaster posted:

How many things (planets, moons, spacestations, asteriods, etc) do humans inhabit in BT? Has anyone ever said what the population is?

I imagine with that size, literally anything and everything has happened. And is happening.

Pages in category "Planets"
The following 200 pages are in this category, out of 3,252 total.

Not every planet has a population over 1 billion in (3025-3060), but a significant number of them still do.

Quite a few of those pages look like this:

- The Aalzorg system was removed from maps at some point during the First Succession War, indicating that the system had either been abandoned, depopulated or rendered too insignificant to continue recording on maps.
- Aboukir [...] vanished from maps during the Third Succession War indicating that the system had either been depopulated or was no longer considered significant enough to appear on maps.
- Abushiri [...] vanished from maps during the Third Succession War indicating that the system had either been depopulated or was no longer considered significant enough to appear on maps.
- Achnoly vanished from maps during the Second Succession War, indicating that the system had been abandoned, depopulated, or rendered too insignificant to merit further recording on maps.
- The Acoma system vanished from maps during the First Succession War indicating that the system had been abandoned or depopulated.
- Achton vanished from maps during the Third Succession War.
- Achtur vanished from maps during the Second Succession War, either because the system had been depopulated or it was no longer considered significant enough to be recorded on maps.

That's 7 planets of the first 27 (Aa- through Ac-) that are no longer populated by humans. Most of those "vanished during the 3SW entries actually vanish after the tail end of the 2SW. On a fair number of those it's impossible to tell how populated they were, but barely-populated mining complexes are extremely rare in BattleTech.

And BattleTech isn't the sort of setting where a planetary population can be "safely evacuated."

BattleTech's always been bad with scale, so when Sarna.net says "hundreds of millions" died in the 1st succession war, the unspoken implication is: hundreds of millions died on nearly every planet in the Inner Sphere. Even lowballing (hundreds of millions is plural) and not taking into account some of those 3252 entries are worlds that were never settled: 200m x 3252 = 650.4 billion dead x 2 wars = 1.3 trillion dead over a span of 78 years.

We have no idea how big those numbers really are.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Title changed :)
I went with Q_res because he is OP, sorry Seb!

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

A lot of the planets, specially in the Periphery, seem to be based around one central settlement that is there for whatever resource the planet was good for and the spaceport to get off world. Then you probably have their surrounding farming and sustainment areas. So when you hear about the battles being waged near a city or spaceport, it's the city, where the bulk of the entire planets population lives and relies on that spaceport as a lifeline to the rest of humanity. There isn't much of a reason for a "global war" across multiple continents until you get in to the core worlds that have something really important like a 'Mech factory or multiple large bases from back in the glory days still in service.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Cirofren posted:

Yep! I would like to know anything you wish you knew going into Roguetech.

The most important thing to know about Roguetech is don't play Roguetech.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Neurohelmets only let the 'Mech piggyback off of the pilot's sense of balance. If they let you 'think' the 'Mech through things, Justin Allard wouldn't have had a problem losing his arm.

Where the fluff tends to not quite agree is on 'how' the pilot controls the 'Mech. Is it like the MechWarrior games, where you're just piloting a walking tank with a HOTAS, or do you have a pedal for the left leg, a pedal for the right leg, and you're basically playing QWOP?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

DatonKallandor posted:

The most important thing to know about Roguetech is don't play Roguetech.

i mean this is my opinion too, but at the very least you really need to know what you're getting into with it for two reasons - it makes a shitload of changes first off and second, you are most likely going to have to tweak config variables to undo or alter some of those changes because they'll drive you nuts otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheCenturion posted:

Neurohelmets only let the 'Mech piggyback off of the pilot's sense of balance. If they let you 'think' the 'Mech through things, Justin Allard wouldn't have had a problem losing his arm.

Every author, particularly every early author, had a different idea of what the Neurohelmet did or didn't do. At the same time Justin Allard was getting his fancy prosthetic, Minobu Tetsuhara was piloting a Dragon with a prosthetic arm and leg made out of a hunk of wood.

I'm OK with "Neurohelmets do something ephemeral" and "different pilots utilize the same equipment differently" being a thing. If Grayson Carlyle needs the maintenance waldos to control a BattleMech's hands and Minobu Tetsuhara can pilot a 'Mech with only minimal use of the controls and Morgan Kell and Yorinaga Kurita can will their 'Mechs to stop transmitting IFF codes all that does is make the universe more fun.

I like the idea that the DI computer's response to any input is "... Sure, whatever, that works for me!" whether you've been trained to control a 'Mech through meditation or just pushing those joysticks around as much as humanly possible.