Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

RoboCop 3 posted:

okay i'm sorry
My XS looks too yellow very regularly with TrueTone on, so I feel your pain, don't let the haters get you down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

RoboCop 3 posted:

okay i'm sorry

don't forget to wax the cross before you climb on up

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

don't forget to wax the cross before you climb on up

I don’t know what that means.

I was just curious about my new iPhone.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RoboCop 3 posted:

I don’t know what that means.

I was just curious about my new iPhone.

splinters i guess

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
"Auto delete old conversations - automatically removes all your messages and attachments that were sent or received over one year ago."

Having trouble with conversations vs messages here. If I have 18 months of text messages with someone, will enabling this erase only those texts that are over a year old, or will it erase all of them because it's gonna delete the whole conversation?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It will only delete texts that are more than a year old.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

splinters i guess

Sorry but this chain of comments is pretty hilarious hahahaah. White balance guy has a point.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Something Offal posted:

Sorry but this chain of comments is pretty hilarious hahahaah. White balance guy has a point.

I didn't mean to diss the people with opinions on color balance. Between the potential for differences between types of displays, variations in manufacturing and the vagaries of what turning a feature like True Tone actually does I know nothing, which is why I read threads like this. I can however explain the sick burn about getting up on a cross over something and that the wax could help with splinters. Additionally if the straw in your shirt becomes problematic watch out for flying monkeys as they may use it for nesting material.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Dinosaurs! posted:

Anyone know of a clear case (for a x if it matters) that doesn’t eventually turn yellow or is that just a fact of life about those things?

Anything soft will yellow, but if you get a rigid, snap-on case, it will stay clear.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Target has a “buy one, get a second at 30% off” deal on digital iTunes cards now; stacks with RedCard

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
I’ve got a 7 Plus at the moment and I’m looking at swap it for a XS or XS Max. XS is probably enough for me, except I’m worried I’ll have noticeably worse battery life and I’m having difficulty finding a direct comparison. Anyone have any experience of the relative battery lives between the two models?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/promotion/landingpage/A12NMB7NN9G08Y

The $100 ITunes for $80 promotion is back on Amazon...again...

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Deadguy2322 posted:

Anything soft will yellow, but if you get a rigid, snap-on case, it will stay clear.

Thanks

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I picked up my clearance saddle brown 7+ case today. I don't like the way the shiny bronze-ish brown buttons look but they feel nice. It definitely has more of a lip than the leather SE case I had, which is a good thing because I killed that fucker by dropping it on its face.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Looks like iPhones will be getting official Google Fi support, though it won't support "the full Google Fi experience" and in typical Google fashion, they haven't actually offered any details.

https://9to5google.com/2018/11/27/project-fi-google-samsung-oneplus-iphone/

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Anyone have a recommendation for a multi-device charging station? People have two iPads, two iPhones, all lightning (no wireless), no watches.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a multi-device charging station? People have two iPads, two iPhones, all lightning (no wireless), no watches.

I got this when it was on sale for like $20 a while back. I like it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The XR is a fine phone and if work wasn't giving me an XS I would get the XR. the size isnt such an issue as I thought it would be.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I got this when it was on sale for like $20 a while back. I like it.

I have a 5 or 6 port anker one and it's been great.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks guys, but they’re looking for the kind of thing that holds the devices being charged, so the things and cables aren’t laying all over. I don’t have high hopes for an elegant solution, but was wondering if anyone used something like that that didn’t completely suck.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Thanks guys, but they’re looking for the kind of thing that holds the devices being charged, so the things and cables aren’t laying all over. I don’t have high hopes for an elegant solution, but was wondering if anyone used something like that that didn’t completely suck.

What is this meant to look like?

edit: I mean I think people have linked some things that look like large trays before if that solves their problem.

astral fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 28, 2018

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Begall posted:

I’ve got a 7 Plus at the moment and I’m looking at swap it for a XS or XS Max. XS is probably enough for me, except I’m worried I’ll have noticeably worse battery life and I’m having difficulty finding a direct comparison. Anyone have any experience of the relative battery lives between the two models?

Made this exact swap, 7 Plus for XS. The battery life is noticeably worse, especially if a fresh battery is considered on the plus. I frequently am into the 60% range on an average work day with fairly light use during breaks, where this would be 79s and sometimes 80 with the plus. That being said, it charges way faster - can get into the 80s-90s on my relatively short commute home which balances it out.

Overall I prefer the XS to the plus however.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I was thinking something like this which may no longer exist :

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-PowerHouse-Lightning-Charging-iPhone/dp/B00NJNGGMG

But what I see is dozens of variations of

https://www.amazon.com/Hercules-Tuff-Charging-Organizer-Multiple/dp/B07222V19V?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Edit: yeah basically trays is a good way to put it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

That one looks like an easy way to damage the plug in the charger and/or the ports in your devices.

quote:

But what I see is dozens of variations of

https://www.amazon.com/Hercules-Tuff-Charging-Organizer-Multiple/dp/B07222V19V?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Edit: yeah basically trays is a good way to put it.

These sorts of things seem less harsh on the ports while still helping save space. I suppose I would be a bit worried about scratching the devices on those dividers as people tip 'em back and forth in there while adding/removing/plugging devices, though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

astral posted:

That one looks like an easy way to damage the plug in the charger and/or the ports in your devices.

Nah, I had that one for years and it worked fine.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

astral posted:

Apple themselves sell this:

It's fine despite looking like something is gonna snap off.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Apple themselves sell this:

It's fine despite looking like something is gonna snap off.

I have one of those. It's pretty much retired from charging my phone, but it works great to charge the aTV remote and the AirPod case.

Wouldn't trust it with an iPad however.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Oh yeah, it's not designed for an iPad but I was just pointing out that there's nothing inherently unsafe for the hardware with that kind of design.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I can never get the device to slot into those things at first try. Ends up scuffing the area around the port.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Vegetable posted:

I can never get the device to slot into those things at first try. Ends up scuffing the area around the port.

Sherlock thinks you're an alchy

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I can’t believe I’m asking this but are the old animated emojis (not the Animoji’s) available on the X models? I can’t seem to find them.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

101 posted:

Sherlock thinks you're an alchy

it was my brother :colbert:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I used the single-port version of that Belkin charging dock for my iPhones for years and it's always been totally stable and never once damaged the ports. Only reason I switched was that my XS case covers up too much of the port area for it to work, so I've moved on to a wireless stand.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mom has an ipad and an iphone, ipad not getting her imessages. She must be logged into the same apple id as her photos sync just fine. The "you can receive messages" config for imessages only lists her email address on the ipad, and her phone number on the phone.

Clearly she's not logged into something, but not sure what. Is it the lack of an icloud.com account?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Her Apple ID is an iCloud account.

Very she's signed into same account in the messages app. You may need to sign out and back in on the iPad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Turns out having her verify the apple id on both devices triggered a 2 factor PIN check and now it works. She says she was already logged into the same account on both devices but I'm 2000 miles away and can't verify. :v:

So now that she's happy we'll just leave it at "old people are bad at computers."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

Turns out having her verify the apple id on both devices triggered a 2 factor PIN check and now it works. She says she was already logged into the same account on both devices but I'm 2000 miles away and can't verify. :v:

So now that she's happy we'll just leave it at "old people are bad at computers."

With here iCloud email showing up in the iPad and the phone number only on the phone, it's more likely she was logged into iCloud on the iPad, but not on the iPhone.

But yeah, it's working now. Job done.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Jose Oquendo posted:

I can’t believe I’m asking this but are the old animated emojis (not the Animoji’s) available on the X models? I can’t seem to find them.

Are you sure you’re not thinking of the animated emoji that are on the Apple Watch? Other than iMessage stickers, I am pretty sure there have never been animated emoji baked into iOS.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hello Spaceman posted:

Are you sure you’re not thinking of the animated emoji that are on the Apple Watch? Other than iMessage stickers, I am pretty sure there have never been animated emoji baked into iOS.

Oh man you're right. They're gone from the Watch as of iOS 12 which hosed with my head even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
An (encrypted?) iTunes backup is necessary for texts to transfer over to a new phone, is that correct? Just want to make sure I'm not overcomplicating things for my sentimental in-law here.