Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Kins posted:

This seems timely, given the discussion of retro aesthetic:
https://twitter.com/voidpnt/status/1066465600740814848
Looks kind of like TekWar, if TekWar wasn't garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The Kins posted:

This seems timely, given the discussion of retro aesthetic:
https://twitter.com/voidpnt/status/1066465600740814848

Looks like AMC TC style they managed to get a lot out of build engine, any of those level designers working on it?

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Flannelette posted:

Looks like AMC TC style they managed to get a lot out of build engine, any of those level designers working on it?
Nah; one of the IM mappers DavoX did contribute a small portion of a map years back before IM was a thing but there's no overlap in teams otherwise.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Actually that reminds me - was TekWar as bad as I vaguely remember it being? I think I played a demo of it as a kid and bounced off it pretty hard, but I have no idea why it’s bad or how bad it is. In fact I know very little about it, aside from vague memories that are sorta interspersed with WitchHaven

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Pathos posted:

Actually that reminds me - was TekWar as bad as I vaguely remember it being? I think I played a demo of it as a kid and bounced off it pretty hard, but I have no idea why it’s bad or how bad it is. In fact I know very little about it, aside from vague memories that are sorta interspersed with WitchHaven
It suffers from Capstone's trademark of being too ambitious for their budget/talent/tech, and turning out a buggy, ugly mess as a result.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Do is it just kind of meh? I remember WitchHaven (which I think was capstone?) being fun-ish when I was a kid, but with really awful level design. My impression was always that TekWar was worse, but I don’t know much about how it actually was.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Reveal trailer I just saw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwHRPVrZVgM

Seems interesting. Definitely getting Brutal Doom vibes from it.

You know what that reminds me of? Project MSX, only I think MSX had the right idea of it in terms of execution. It might be worth keeping tabs on, though.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Pathos posted:

Do is it just kind of meh? I remember WitchHaven (which I think was capstone?) being fun-ish when I was a kid, but with really awful level design. My impression was always that TekWar was worse, but I don’t know much about how it actually was.
Witchhaven suffers from (among other things) horrible controls, which is a bit of a problem for a primarily melee-combat game.

TekWar is unfinished and half broken. The enemies barely move. There are grenade pickups that don’t do anything. You have a third energy bar called “consciousness” that doesn’t do anything. The digitized sprites are extremely shoddy. Watch some gameplay videos and forget about it.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Pathos posted:

It was really bad but I guess I was dumb enough to find novelty in a little first person city open areas with civilians walking around in them and a little boat and cars doing laps even. It had a VR computer level at the end that I didn't know what the hell to do it was just confusing and flashing lights were everywhere so I gave up.

edit: it was somehow worse than I remembered it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2OS4Vl_TUM

Pathos posted:

WitchHaven was better but was also kind of boring and looked ugly and uneven, I got as far as a level where you had to jump over a tiny pit full of instant death spikes around the exit tile which I could never figure out how to get over since I'd bounce off the roof jumping over it.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 25, 2018

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I have never used the axe in Amid Evil, and don't really ever plan to tbh.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Say one thing for Prodeus; one of the dudes working on it has some bonafides, having done level design at Raven, Irrational and Overkill.

E: but this is what I'm talking about
https://twitter.com/ProdeusGame/status/1065671282212118533
That's a good enough model that imo the game doesn't need to rely on pixel-filters as a crutch, though of course who knows how well it's animated.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 25, 2018

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Mordja posted:

Say one thing for Prodeus; one of the dudes working on it has some bonafides, having done level design at Raven, Irrational and Overkill.

That's a good enough model that imo the game doesn't need to rely on pixel-filters as a crutch, though of course who knows how well it's animated.

So are Prodeus enemies 2d things with normal maps, lighting, shadows like Amid Evil or 3d things without interpolation between 8 facing directions and animations or a mix of both?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Pathos posted:

a couple years back where i was trying to do big posts about all the early fps games i could find, i tried tekwar. the post is probably still in this thread somewhere, though im betting imgur has probably broken all my image links by now. its loving terrible though, its very confusing and directionless

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just played the first few levels of Amid Evil, pretty cool in some ways, I dig the level design and movement. The combat does feel like you're just kiting people running at you like the Serious Sam headless guy, I dig you mentioned here they improved that a bit, but it's still kind of not that great combat to me. Will keep giving it a go though. Though I didn't find the combat in Dusk's first episode that engaging either, was more fun for the clever and charming level design. Although tough to top the classics in that regard, while Ion Maiden does hit the spot well for me. And Doom 2016 also rocked.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The first episode is still a little weak, it really kicks up the enemy and encounter design after that.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Convex posted:

Looks pretty fun, but the graphics looks weirdly scaled to be honest. Reminds me of playing Doom 3 at the absolute minimum resolution because my I didn't have a graphics card.

Always want a reason to repost this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUVXAl0dgYY

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Problem I'm seeing with Prodeus:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1023232240824795136
Grey, grey, grey and grey!
Enemies just blend straight into the background and everything kind of looks the same.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm intrigued by Prodeus, but it just looks like Doom3/4 with the resolution scaled down.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Flannelette posted:

Problem I'm seeing with Prodeus:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1023232240824795136
Grey, grey, grey and grey!
Enemies just blend straight into the background and everything kind of looks the same.

They're just following the Wolfenstein II design philosophy.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Anyone here have any experience with playing Reelism multiplayer? I tried it both with GZdoom and Zandronum but both had issues, with desyncing or scripting failing.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

catlord posted:

I'm intrigued by Prodeus, but it just looks like Doom3/4 with the resolution scaled down.

This is really my problem with it. From the little clips we've seen so far the movement, level design, and overall feel looks so absurdly similar (but worse) to New Doom that it's pretty unappealing. I think with a little bit of inspired art direction it could be something special but right now I'm really not feeling it.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Glagha posted:

Anyone here have any experience with playing Reelism multiplayer? I tried it both with GZdoom and Zandronum but both had issues, with desyncing or scripting failing.

GZDoom's multiplayer become slowly more unreliable after the whole engine was changed to floating point (I've heard reports of it breaking when using something a simple as a railgun now), whether that's a coincidence and/or zscript is to blame is a thus far unanswered question (I'm certainly not in a hurry to go check). The developers of DRLA haven't left ZDoom 2.8.1 because of it.
Meanwhile Zandronum is so far behind that I'd be surprised if Reelism could even start up. You might be SOL at this point.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

seeing prodeus in action kind of reminds me of quake 2, but that game is a pretty cohesive package altogether and the sum is greater than the parts so prodeus would have to pull out all the stops to match up with it

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Pathos posted:

This is really my problem with it. From the little clips we've seen so far the movement, level design, and overall feel looks so absurdly similar (but worse) to New Doom that it's pretty unappealing. I think with a little bit of inspired art direction it could be something special but right now I'm really not feeling it.

I definitely see what you mean and I don't think the sloppy visual design does it any credit, but at the same time, if it delivers on the "indie Doom 3/4 pastiche" thing, I'd definitely slam $5-10 on that at a Steam sale, if nothing else.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Plan Z posted:

Always want a reason to repost this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUVXAl0dgYY

That's just… so much better. 3dfx saves PC gaming again!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

3DFX Vodoo had the coolest branding of just about any computer thing ever. It's really held up well. You could slap it on a modern product and it would look fine. Well maybe not the Voodoo2 one with the red guy with the X on his forehead, but anything else.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Casimir Radon posted:

3DFX Vodoo had the coolest branding of just about any computer thing ever. It's really held up well. You could slap it on a modern product and it would look fine. Well maybe not the Voodoo2 one with the red guy with the X on his forehead, but anything else.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
There's something I just really, really dig about Amid Evil's level design. The way the levels flow, the locations you visit, and the vistas you see on your journey through the various episodes are really striking at times.

I think my favorite episode so far is whatever one has all the sun themed stuff in it, and it's because of what I mentioned above.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

What you don't like star fox frog on your box?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

There's something I just really, really dig about Amid Evil's level design. The way the levels flow, the locations you visit, and the vistas you see on your journey through the various episodes are really striking at times.

I think my favorite episode so far is whatever one has all the sun themed stuff in it, and it's because of what I mentioned above.

Some of the music has really grown on me, too, and reminds me faintly of Unreal.

JerryLee posted:

I definitely see what you mean and I don't think the sloppy visual design does it any credit, but at the same time, if it delivers on the "indie Doom 3/4 pastiche" thing, I'd definitely slam $5-10 on that at a Steam sale, if nothing else.

That's where I am with it. If the gameplay is relatively solid, I'm in for $10.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I've wanted to try a Voodoo card in a retro build for a while now to see what the buzz was about (and play with games that used the Glide API without having to use dgVoodoo2 or nGlide or whatever to remap it to DirectX), but by all accounts the nVidia and ATi/AMD graphics cards I've been using in contemporary computers I have are generally the better picks anyway. The Voodoo 5 just wasn't strong enough for the time it came out.

That said, I've been trying to tidy up an old Socket 7 PC that my family had during the late 1990s; might pair nicely with a Voodoo 3 2000 or 3000 or something, depending on just how weak the CPU in there turns out to be (I mean, it's Socket 7, not Super Socket 7, and it's not even Slot 1, so we're fairly strictly talking Pentium 1 range here - maybe Pentium MMX). (Certainly cheaper than going for Voodoo 2 SLI, cool as that sounds. Saves me some PCI slots too, I only get four to play with here. I suppose I could also do a Banshee for V2 instead, but when a Voodoo 3 is as powerful as a V2 SLI configuration but on a single PCI/AGP card, a Banshee doesn't seem like the best proposition - though it's not like any of these cards are not gonna be CPU-bottlenecked...)

Rocket Pan posted:

GZDoom's multiplayer become slowly more unreliable after the whole engine was changed to floating point (I've heard reports of it breaking when using something a simple as a railgun now), whether that's a coincidence and/or zscript is to blame is a thus far unanswered question (I'm certainly not in a hurry to go check). The developers of DRLA haven't left ZDoom 2.8.1 because of it.
Meanwhile Zandronum is so far behind that I'd be surprised if Reelism could even start up. You might be SOL at this point.
I've hosted Reelism in Zandronum and had people join without much issue. Beyond everyone getting stuck spawning the lobby on occasion, anyway.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

3DFX stuff went and jumped in price on Ebay some time in the last decade. You used to be able to get all of it pretty cheap. I think retro gaming youtubers probably have something to do with it. Back around 2010 or so I bought a couple of new old stock OEM Voodoo2s for $15 each. The guy had found a crate full of them some place. Most of the offers on Ebay right now are over $100 with a few exceptions. Doesn't mean people are necessarily paying that much, but if I'd bought a bunch of them I could be selling them for maybe $50.

Still haven't done anything with those cards. I had a dumb idea a little while back about machining water blocks that fit around them so they'd look like a double stacked card.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Buttcoin mining with glide probably

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Mordja posted:

At this level of detail they have this kinda painted miniature look to them that's a lot cooler than Pixel Art imo. If you're gonna go that route give me those Diablo 2/Mars Matrix level pre rendered sprites instead of 3D with a filter.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Prodeus doesn't look half-bad imho. Five of these throwback FPS games come out every year now and for as cool as some of them looked the gameplay just didn't deliver so if Prodeus can make good on that front then people will adjust to the visuals.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It would be cool if it has some visual options though, which it may. I could play it as is, but the blurry/blocky pixel filter thing does seem a bit much. The trailer looks better in a small youtube window, oddly enough, if it can't be turned off I may just play the game in windowed mode. And put Magnum P.I. or something in a window next to it, so he's solving crimes and charming while I shoot and look around the maze thing.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

It would be cool if it has some visual options though, which it may. I could play it as is, but the blurry/blocky pixel filter thing does seem a bit much. The trailer looks better in a small youtube window, oddly enough, if it can't be turned off I may just play the game in windowed mode. And put Magnum P.I. or something in a window next to it, so he's solving crimes and charming while I shoot and look around the maze thing.

Most responses I've seen are "neat, can we have options because the pixels make my brain barf," so I think it'll happen.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the prodeus model someone posted in that tweet reminds me of the more high-res 2.5d games like Witchhaven where it was almost like fighting claymation monsters. i like that style a lot.

also have any good doom tcs/mods come out lately? im way behind on stuff, i saw there was a splatterhouse thing and some type of post apoc thing?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

also have any good doom tcs/mods come out lately? im way behind on stuff, i saw there was a splatterhouse thing and some type of post apoc thing?
This is the Splatterhouse thing and this is the post-apoc thing. I've only played the latter, but it's pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the prodeus model someone posted in that tweet reminds me of the more high-res 2.5d games like Witchhaven where it was almost like fighting claymation monsters. i like that style a lot.
I’m pretty sure Witchaven actually did use clay models.

If you haven’t played it yet, there’s a stand-alone Doom mod called Harmony that uses clay models too. It’s pretty cool.