Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

For a while now my Psyduck, who I always have out, has been having an extra message during attacks like "yeah I knew you could do it!" or even avoiding attacks because of my character shouting to watch out or something. I've gotten boosted XP with him as well. I thought this was just a side effect of having him out of his Pokeball all the time but recently my Venasaur has started doing this too. What causes this?

Yeah that's from the Affection stat. Psyduck is indeed getting it from being out of the Poke Ball, but for Venusaur :iiam:

There's probably some other things that can increase it as well, but no idea what it might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Is Baton Pass in this game? Is there a list of moves omitted?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I just threw 350 pokeballs at articuno and got it with a normal ball lol

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 26, 2018

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Not by a longshot anymore. Motion control you get additional experience multipliers, especially if you grab a second controller. I'm leveling everything I got nailing Magmars for 3-5k a throw right now. Handheld mode I'd be getting half that and dual throwing balls is a lot higher success chance

Huh, I'll give it a go two-fisting it later. Handheld is at least more reliable than the way I've been doing it.

Meltan is cute and I wish it didn't suck. I'd totally use it if I didn't have to stuff it full of candies to get it anywhere close to viable. Having a go park full of them will be funny at least.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

If I've been having fun with Pokemon Let's Go, what's the easiest/cheapest way to get into one of the more recent games (and what's the best game to get)? Am I going to hate the cheapo $70 2DS if I grab one of those? I haven't played a Pokemon game since Black.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Well the 3D feature on a proper 3DS is a gimmick at best, so you don't really lose much aside from the clamshell.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Phenotype posted:

If I've been having fun with Pokemon Let's Go, what's the easiest/cheapest way to get into one of the more recent games (and what's the best game to get)? Am I going to hate the cheapo $70 2DS if I grab one of those? I haven't played a Pokemon game since Black.

2ds suuuuuuucks and I hate everything about it. New 2ds xl is the way to go friendo.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I’m not sure SUMO even has 3D.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

omnibobb posted:

2ds suuuuuuucks and I hate everything about it. New 2ds xl is the way to go friendo.

Yeah, I was hoping no one would say that, the XL is twice the price. I don't plan on doing a whole lot of 3DS gaming, I've managed not to buy one till now. Just want to finally get to play one of the new Pokemon games and maybe there are some other good games that're 3DS only?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I was hoping no one would say that, the XL is twice the price. I don't plan on doing a whole lot of 3DS gaming, I've managed not to buy one till now. Just want to finally get to play one of the new Pokemon games and maybe there are some other good games that're 3DS only?

Personally, I have big hands and regular 2ds’ hurts my hands while playing. If you have regular hands and just wanna play pokemon, 2ds is probably fine.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
There are loads of good 3DS games, and for pokemon games specifically you should probably just go with Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon since they're the most current versions.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'd honestly recommend the original 2DS over anything else because I find it by far the most comfortable to hold. It's not going to be an issue for Pokemon, but you might want to consider it if you're planning on playing anything more action-y, and I'd go with it just to be safe unless you have a real reason you'd rather pay more for one of the other models. The 3DS XL is an awkward, unwieldy brick of a system, and I regret having ever bought it.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
So if I didn't buy the edition that comes with the pokeball plus, will I not be able to fill my dex out to get the charm thing that increases my chance at getting a shiny? Pretty lovely if true.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Big McHuge posted:

So if I didn't buy the edition that comes with the pokeball plus, will I not be able to fill my dex out to get the charm thing that increases my chance at getting a shiny? Pretty lovely if true.
you will, mew doesn't count for dex completion

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So just confirming there is no overall prize for beating the master trainers and the game doesn't show who you've beaten?

pretty low effort by gamefreak if true

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

So just confirming there is no overall prize for beating the master trainers and the game doesn't show who you've beaten?

pretty low effort by gamefreak if true

You get to set your title to grand master or something. Shiny charm for catching em all is probably a better reward.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Why the gently caress is getting Melmetal such a goddamn hassle

I saw someone who calculated out the minimum amount of time it could take and even with literally all the advantages going for you it's still a FIVE WEEK PROCESS

By the time you can even START it you have to be at least halfway through the game! I wanted to goddamn USE the cute blob-titan!

And I still feel the need to get it despite knowing it'll take me literally a couple of months real-time WHY IS THIS SO lovely

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Phenotype posted:

X/Y/OR/AS have very very little 3D, mostly only in battles, titles, and a couple other places. No 3D in the regular overworld stuff. SuMo has even less with no 3D in battles (rip cool 3D Water Pulse animation). You will not miss out on the Pokemon experience by going with a 2DS. Also, the general image quality on the 2DS is much, much better and it has a few other performance improvements. My launch 3DS feels a little sturdier than the 2DS but that's mostly just the "heavy shiny" effect, the drat thing started getting chips and peeling within weeks of purchase. The only Pokemon game I feel that is improved by 3D is the Rumble games because the cute little bobblehead Pokemon look even cuter in 3D and it's somehow easier to aim long distance attacks with it on. Unless there is another series you're interested in that uses 3D really really well, the 2DS is a good idea and definitely superior for Pokemon in most respects.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Prythian posted:

Why the gently caress is getting Melmetal such a goddamn hassle

I saw someone who calculated out the minimum amount of time it could take and even with literally all the advantages going for you it's still a FIVE WEEK PROCESS

By the time you can even START it you have to be at least halfway through the game! I wanted to goddamn USE the cute blob-titan!

And I still feel the need to get it despite knowing it'll take me literally a couple of months real-time WHY IS THIS SO lovely

gotta reincorporate that mobage grind somehow

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bowmore posted:

team after beating the elite 4

does the game really not track the master trainers you beat? ugh

going to have to go pen and paper

How the gently caress did you nickname alolan Ninetails, I don't get that option when I click on her :-(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RME posted:

gotta reincorporate that mobage grind somehow

the weirdest thing is that afaik you can't even pay-to-win this aspect of the game, it's straight up just a grind. maybe you get lucky, run into one on your daily commute, but otherwise it's all about grinding those km. which, back when i lived in a place where i actually ran into pokemon, i would get a huge amount of distance in every single day! but there's simply no way to speed it up by paying money, so they don't even stand to gain by designing it like this from a financial perspective

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

The White Dragon posted:

the weirdest thing is that afaik you can't even pay-to-win this aspect of the game, it's straight up just a grind. maybe you get lucky, run into one on your daily commute, but otherwise it's all about grinding those km. which, back when i lived in a place where i actually ran into pokemon, i would get a huge amount of distance in every single day! but there's simply no way to speed it up by paying money, so they don't even stand to gain by designing it like this from a financial perspective

Maybe the mythical Pokémon is supposed to be hard to obtain

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

How the gently caress did you nickname alolan Ninetails, I don't get that option when I click on her :-(

Probably a transfer from go to have OT status.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Chill Penguin posted:

Maybe the mythical Pokémon is supposed to be hard to obtain

That isn't hard, that's tedious. There's a gigantic difference between both.

Hard requires player effort, that is just a waste of time. It's artificially lengthening the game, without actually adding content.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it’s takes time, just chill, this ain’t a race

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

because she loves me

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

The White Dragon posted:

the weirdest thing is that afaik you can't even pay-to-win this aspect of the game, it's straight up just a grind. maybe you get lucky, run into one on your daily commute
That's not possible because they don't spawn in the wild. As far as I know, you can only get them from the Let's Go boxes, and a single one from the Meltan quest chain which is quite an ordeal to complete.

I don't see how this is worse than all those event-exclusive legendaries/mythicals in past games that you couldn't even obtain unless you were in Japan or going to the right chain of game stores in the right month or played in some particular time window near release or exploited some glitch.

The Go players have more reason to complain about Meltan because if you don't have Let's Go, you can only obtain a single one, and then have to walk a million miles or spend a ton of rare candy to be able to evolve it.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 26, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Entropist posted:

That's not possible because they don't spawn in the wild. As far as I know, you can only get them from the Let's Go boxes, and a single one from the Meltan quest chain which is quite an ordeal to complete.

I don't see how this is worse than all those event-exclusive legendaries/mythicals in past games that you couldn't even obtain unless you were in Japan or going to the right chain of game stores in the right month or played in some particular time window near release or exploited some glitch.

The Go players have more reason to complain about Meltan because if you don't have Let's Go, you can only obtain a single one, and then have to walk a million miles or spend a ton of rare candy to be able to evolve it.

You don't have to have let's go, you just have to have a friend with let's go and give them a Pokemon to get a box.

I haven't used my mystery box yet, can anyone tell me how far you have to walk Meltan to get a candy? Is it manageable like Magikarp at 1km or something ridiculous like Scyther at 5km

I'm mad about the meltan quest though. I would have completed it, my first finished quest chain, if I knew that evolving Scyther was a part of it. I evolved my Scyther the day before I got that research task. It will be forever until I get enough candy for one. And it isn't like they give you more Scyther during this event, no they give you a task where you need to catch 15 of a completely DIFFERENT Pokemon and evolve two, and then you'll get a Scyther. I'm trying to get my research tasks full of that so I can do three in one go, but even then I'm less that halfway to another Scyther evolution and all these events to help you with let's go end in two days, so then omanytes and kabutos will go back to being non existent and I have to catch five of each for the next step. Which I could do easily right now, but two days from now will be impossible.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 26, 2018

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

I haven't used my mystery box yet, can anyone tell me how far you have to walk Meltan to get a candy? Is it manageable like Magikarp at 1km or something ridiculous like Scyther at 5km
Worse. I'm pretty sure it's 20 km, like other Mythical and Legendary mons.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well I better get cracking on this mystery box then

I tell you what though that's going to feel loving rewarding, I'll feel really special having this Pokemon that only a small percentage will ever get.

And during the weeks I get it I can build up my living dex and beat as many master trainers as I can.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just to confirm, it's impossible to get Meltan without Pokemon Go right?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

You don't have to have let's go, you just have to have a friend with let's go and give them a Pokemon to get a box.

Oh? How does that work? You trade with anyone who has a Mystery Box and you also get one?

Oh quick note about Let's Go and Go compatibility, you can link more than one Go account to a single save file! I did it with my account and got my Mystery Box, then did my husband's a couple days later and he also got melty boy box. That was nice. The wording when I got to the Go Park made me think it might be limited to one Go account per save file. Thankfully this is not the case!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh? How does that work? You trade with anyone who has a Mystery Box and you also get one?

Oh quick note about Let's Go and Go compatibility, you can link more than one Go account to a single save file! I did it with my account and got my Mystery Box, then did my husband's a couple days later and he also got melty boy box. That was nice. The wording when I got to the Go Park made me think it might be limited to one Go account per save file. Thankfully this is not the case!

Exactly like your second paragraph. Your husband got a mystery box from your Let's Go copy, anyone can if you let them.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

What's the online like in this game? Just battles and trades? Do you still have to trade a haunter to get a gengar?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

MechaSeinfeld posted:

What's the online like in this game? Just battles and trades? Do you still have to trade a haunter to get a gengar?

Yes and yes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do sure hit moves like Eevees Z move or Swift overcome protect?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Z-moves reduce the effectiveness of protect, meaning they'll take partial damage.

I dont think swift ever has beaten protect tho

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Do sure hit moves like Eevees Z move or Swift overcome protect?

Bulbapedia says that Z-moves will do partial damage through a protect, and Swift can't hit through a protect.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Feint, though, is +2 priority and nullifies the target's Protect status.

<3 u megapinsir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I'm so proud of myself, an old lady who managed to play charades with kids well enough on the trade system to get all my Pokemon evolved and complete my Pokedex.

It's the first time I've ever finished it! Heck yeah. :)