Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Volkerball posted:

Can somebody more mod smart than me point me towards what exactly I would need to change to get Nubian culture characters to wear Byzantine or Arab clothing? The feathery crowns and whatnot aren't really meshing well with the game I've got going on. I've looked all over the workshop but it looks like Nubian culture has nothing going on.

That's because Nubians got their own portrait pack a while ago.

That said, if you want to mod it yourself, take a look at the custom ethnicities section here. Make a new african_portraits.gfx (or whatever the African portraits file is), copy over the file, and then go through and replace "african" in each clothing and headgear line with the "byzantine" or "muslim". Keep in mind that there are six PortraitTypes to change (male/female each with young/middle/old age), and each type has front and back clothing and headgear.

Once you get the hang of it it's not hard, but the official portrait pack is so good and only $2.50 so I'd definitely recommend that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
There's definitely something weird going on in shattered world title creations because I now border the kingdom of Anatolia, which only holds 2 counties. Is the AI allowed to ignore the 50%+1 counties controlled requirement in shattered world?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ninjahedgehog posted:

That's because Nubians got their own portrait pack a while ago.

That said, if you want to mod it yourself, take a look at the custom ethnicities section here. Make a new african_portraits.gfx (or whatever the African portraits file is), copy over the file, and then go through and replace "african" in each clothing and headgear line with the "byzantine" or "muslim". Keep in mind that there are six PortraitTypes to change (male/female each with young/middle/old age), and each type has front and back clothing and headgear.

Once you get the hang of it it's not hard, but the official portrait pack is so good and only $2.50 so I'd definitely recommend that.

I've got it already. The faces look awesome, I'm just not a big fan of the leopard skin headbands and whatnot since I'm about the furthest thing from tribal at this point. That looks easy enough, but where can I find the african portraits .gfx file? I see a reference to africangfx in the graphical culture type file, and in 00_cultures, but there's nothing in interface or interface>portraits, although I can see the byzantine and muslim files there.

edit: it was in a dlc file.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 26, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea after a few months it ticked up to 100% so I was able to take back my lands. Somehow the earl who had that territory died without an heir and this count in Poland got the land.

Ugh I've given money to the crusade, its too hard to get troops to man land Europe, also the Muslims are fielding 20k armies, I'm not going to be able to do anything with my in total 8k guys.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is there a reason why muslims in iberia are lacking faces?

Holy Fury introduced a graphics bug leading to invisible Muslims and some blacked-out coats of arms. Apparently it'll be fixed in the next patch, whenever that drops.

For now it's kind of fun launching a holy war to capture land from the Invisible Man.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

twistedmentat posted:

Yea after a few months it ticked up to 100% so I was able to take back my lands. Somehow the earl who had that territory died without an heir and this count in Poland got the land.

Ugh I've given money to the crusade, its too hard to get troops to man land Europe, also the Muslims are fielding 20k armies, I'm not going to be able to do anything with my in total 8k guys.

The other people in the crusade will be allies, just attach your troops to a big french stack or something.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
oh yeah, much better

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

The other people in the crusade will be allies, just attach your troops to a big french stack or something.

It's more moving my troops from Ireland to mainland europe. I only have transport for about 1300 at a time.

So to reduce my demanse down, I was defying the council to give titles to unlanded courtiers, which lead to my Marshall force all of the other nobles to rise up against the tyranny of me...lessening my tyranny. Then my current king died of a cold and they gave up the rebellion. Then I tried to imprison the former Marshall, who caused a smaller rebellion, to which my new king promptly lost by being bitten by a snake in his boot. So now I have a king that's married to the daughter of a Norse adventurer because I figured my second son would never inherit the throne.

I still can't find a "press all claims" option.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

TTBF posted:

I only formed the first one, and subjugated my way to getting the rest. I would have loved to use the prestige from making them to build up my realm though.
Eeeeehhh, it's not a great money/prestige ration but it's not like you've got much else to spend it on once you get the gold mines

Broken Cog posted:

Huh, so there is a reason to pay for that event.
Which one is that one?

And it kinda makes me wonder if there are actual good results from some of the no-brainer events, like the one under trading focus where you debase your coinage because lol, so what if you maybe lose prestige later, you get good poo poo now?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

twistedmentat posted:

It's more moving my troops from Ireland to mainland europe. I only have transport for about 1300 at a time.

So to reduce my demanse down, I was defying the council to give titles to unlanded courtiers, which lead to my Marshall force all of the other nobles to rise up against the tyranny of me...lessening my tyranny. Then my current king died of a cold and they gave up the rebellion. Then I tried to imprison the former Marshall, who caused a smaller rebellion, to which my new king promptly lost by being bitten by a snake in his boot. So now I have a king that's married to the daughter of a Norse adventurer because I figured my second son would never inherit the throne.

It's because you don't have multiple claims on those lands. I'm 99% sure you're using the de jure claim as king of Ireland on those counties. But this type of claim can only be pressed one county at a time. You would need to have several personal claims, those are the strong or weak claims you inherit from your parents, or the claims you forge through the "forge claim" action of your chancellor.

You've reached the point where the game gets more difficult as far as expansion is concerned. Expanding into fellow Christian lands is comparatively hard. Muslims, pagans or members of the three Indian religions have a much easier time. You're lucky that you're the king of Ireland, to be able to conquer those territories at all. It only gets more difficult to conquer Scotland or Wales. If you don't want to rely on the "forge claim" action, which can take decades to fire for even on county (or can fire within a year, you're at the mercy of the RNG), you need to play the marriage game to inherit claims, or ask the pope for claims on whole duchies.

Consolidate Ireland, convert to feudalism, then look around who's got a daughter that your character or his heir can marry, to inherit claims for your son/grandson.

You should also never assume that your firstborn will survive. The saying "an heir and a spare" recently came up again in the British press regarding Prince William and Katherine, it's even more important in the medieval nobility simulator.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah I figured it was like that. So get that councilor out there hustling.

How high do i have to get opinions of people to get marriages? I've had serious trouble marrying outside Ireland, even with nobles with pretty high opinions of me refuse to marry 3rd or 4th kids off to me.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So this is cool. I'm on Primogeniture. I have three sons. Between those sons, and some matrilinearly married daughters, I have about 8 dynastic grandsons.

My heir is some random rear end in a top hat that's not related to me.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So this is cool. I'm on Primogeniture. I have three sons. Between those sons, and some matrilinearly married daughters, I have about 8 dynastic grandsons.

How come?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Could it be a viceroyalty?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Some relevant questions might be

What is your top level title? (Emperor/King/Duke/Count)
How many of your top level do you have?
Are they all on the same succession laws?
Are you a vassal or independent?
Are any of your heirs bastards/nuns/castrated(if greek) or otherwise incapable of inheriting?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Any word on when the first post-expansion patch is going to be?

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Man getting the Kingdom of Jerusalem for the first successful crusade to take it really makes CK2 into hard mode again. Mostly, to be fair, because I'm dumb and bad and it took me a king and a half to realize that Jerusalem is within diplomatic range of China, so if you're willing to give up the Holy Grail that you got during the Crusade, you can dismantle the Abbasids (or whomever) pretty much right away :getin:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Are saints currently bugged? Got a bunch of popups from the pope, and the people do get Blessed as part of their name, but got no bloodline and they don't show up in the religions saints tab either.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Avalerion posted:

Are saints currently bugged? Got a bunch of popups from the pope, and the people do get Blessed as part of their name, but got no bloodline and they don't show up in the religions saints tab either.

Blessed is the step before they can become a Saint. The aren't listed anywhere and they don't spawn a bloodline, you get the notification if it happens to a dynasty member or someone in your realm. A blessed can become a saint later, but attaining sainthood is pretty rare, seems to happen to about three characters a century across the whole of Catholicism on average, at least in my game. The exact mechanics are here.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 26, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Which one is that one?

And it kinda makes me wonder if there are actual good results from some of the no-brainer events, like the one under trading focus where you debase your coinage because lol, so what if you maybe lose prestige later, you get good poo poo now?

Sometimes while playing Norse and your wife is pregnant, you can get a Harvest Festival event that gives you the choice of either letting the event proceed as normal, pay a small amount to praise your wife at the festival, or pay a large amount to dedicate the festival to your wife. The second and third choice just gives a small relation bonus, so it never really felt worth it to pick the most expensive one, but it seems the third one has a chance of triggering this event a few years after the kid is born.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Huh. I think requesting excommunications from the pope may be bugged, like the scopes flipped. I thought I'd practice dueling by making my guy a holy assassin for God, dueling and killing anyone excommunicated, and requesting more excommunications to create additional targets. Unfortunately, my own many virtues are showing as negative factors when I try to make a request.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Huh. I think requesting excommunications from the pope may be bugged, like the scopes flipped. I thought I'd practice dueling by making my guy a holy assassin for God, dueling and killing anyone excommunicated, and requesting more excommunications to create additional targets. Unfortunately, my own many virtues are showing as negative factors when I try to make a request.

The Pope won't like your virtues if he has the opposed vice.

Sounds like your Pope is a bad Pope.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Archaeology Hat posted:

The Pope won't like your virtues if he has the opposed vice.

Sounds like your Pope is a bad Pope.

CK2: Holy Fury - your Pope is a bad Pope.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Strudel Man posted:

It's in the on_actions events file; you can search it for "names," I think, to find the line. edit: Line 5169, calling reformation_god_names_changes_effect

I think I know why they did that, though. I made a little mod to fix the bugs I've run into (that are readily fixable), and that one had me somewhat stymied because the add_god_name command appears to put in a blank string instead of a specified name if the specified one is already the high god name. Which causes problems for getting a random god name, especially if the religion is dogmatic and there's only supposed to be one god. I could do a workaround, have the high god name be something longer and flowery with epithets while the regular god name is the short version, but it would have been a lot of work.

Though I am wondering now what would happen if I added the regular god name before the high god name.

(There was also an issue where it would say the greek high god is Conclave instead of Zeus; I tracked that down to the fact that the Conclave expansion is internally called Zeus, with a localisation to display the former name. Take out that localisation, and the name displays properly.)

Thanks for this, I'm new to messing around with this stuff and its a good gentle entry project. I also encountered the blank string problem but it vanished after I changed the localisation for Conclave/Zeus as below, so seems alright now. I'm sure this solution will have other dumb unintended consequences but I haven't found them yet.
code:
Zeus;Zeus;Le Conseil;Conclave;;Conclave;;;;;;;;;x

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I love this loving game. I'm playing a Vandad Karen run and I've conquered most of Iran. Around 900 or so, the Seljuk invasion begins. He spawns with 20k troops in Abbasid territory and declares an invasion on me. My maximum army size is about 10k without mercs, and I've just defeated an Abbasid invasion and conquered a duchy from Rajputana (while defeating their Pratihara allies with 15k troops). My vassals are pissed from having levies raised so long and my treasury is almost empty because I immediately spent the 1200 gold I got from the Abbasids on buildings. So, I try the following:

1. Assassinating Seljuk. I spend gold on enough bribes to get plot power to about 130%. Event never fires.
2. Gaining allies. I marry off two kids to nearby realms and spent more gold on improving relations enough to Form Alliances. I'm able to get one ally with about 3k troops by the time Seljuk arrives.

He finally arrives with his armies, split into 3 stacks of about 7k. I attack the first one and defeat it, but it links up with another and I'm now facing 14k troops against my stack of 11k. Over the next few weeks I abuse my generals (who have been trained by a Chinese strategist and thus have 30% movement, allowing me to avoid Seljuk's armies) and dance around, waiting for attrition or seige events to weaken Seljuk's army enough for me to gain an edge. I figure I'm doomed if I face an army of equal numbers.

After a few weeks of this, while desperately waiting for the assassination event to trigger and for my allies to arrive, I notice a stack of 3k Seljuk troops split from the main army. I also notice a little crown icon next to the stack. It seems Seljuk himself wanted to seige down my Silk Road trade post. I pounce on this small army, defeat it handily and capture Seljuk.

I then sacrifice him to Ahriman because my Shah is a Satanist. Seljuk's armies scatter to the winds and the realm is at peace once again. Owned bitch.

On a related note, the Lock Movement feature actually makes the game easier for me. I just wait for an enemy stack to get locked in its path and move a larger army to its destination. The enemy will arrive first (and take advantage of any defensive terrain bonuses) but it's worth it to guarantee a fight you know you'll win.

CommissarMega posted:

Got bored of playing the Son of The Void, now I want to try my hand at a Nomadic game, set in a Shattered World where everyone's a nomad at the start. Any idea of what I could expect? It's my first time playing a nomad, please don't bully.

Nomads are fun but very different from Feudal/Tribal.

- Always have as large of a Horde as possible.
- When you first start out, immediately try to absorb neighboring Nomad provinces. They will likely have the same amount of troops as you do, so wait until their stack is reduced by some other conflict before engaging.
- I tried a Nomad Shattered World game when HF first dropped. If you don't border any Feudal provinces, raiding will be far less useful because Nomad/Tribal provinces are poor. However, it can be useful to raid because you can still capture people and ransom or sacrifice them to improve your Warrior Lodge standing.
- Always be in a Warrior Lodge if you're pagan.
- If you're in a Lodge and you have good personal combat stats, Antagonize any enemy character who's a threat to you. If you antagonize long enough they will challenge you to a duel which you should win. You will then have the option to execute them.

- General Nomad advice: focus on building (in your capital province only) things that increase your maximum Population, pop growth and your cavalry unit stats. Your capital should always be the province with the most empty holdings. You can move capitals periodically. It's useful to have one on a coastal province because you get buildings that further increase your Pop.
- Most of the time, when you conquer new provinces you won't be able to keep many of them because your vassal Clans will demand more territory. It's still worth it to expand even if you're giving most of your conquests away because it makes your vassals stronger and they'll almost always join your wars anyway.
- Form a Blood Bond with the 2nd strongest clan in your realm. This will prevent them from warring you (although it dissolves on ruler death, so if you die and they declare independence there's nothing you can do to prevent it).
- Once you reach 30k maximum population, you get access to Invasion CBs. You then need to reach 75% of your max population in order to use the CB. I *think* the Invasion CB allows you to claim every occupied holding in the realm you're invading whenever you press your demands for peace, so if you can claim the entire Kingdom in one go you should do so.
- If you want to eventually go Feudal, it's easier to settle first as Tribal then reform to Feudalism.
- Nomad Succession is tricky. Generally you will be able to retain control of the Clan when your ruler dies because it passes to the "strongest" male relative (by strongest it means the character with the most Prestige.) To boost prestige in a certain character, be sure to give them honorary titles and/or artifacts that give Prestige. However, children cannot lead the horde and control will pass to another clan if you only have child heirs. You'll then be a vassal clan under a new Khagun, retaining your territory but losing the top title. It can be difficult to regain control of the top level outside of overthrowing the Khagun, but failure will result in your ruler being executed. So, if you only have child heirs be careful about dueling or leading armies because injuries will shorten your lifespan.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Disillusionist posted:

I love this loving game. I'm playing a Vandad Karen run and I've conquered most of Iran. Around 900 or so, the Seljuk invasion begins. He spawns with 20k troops in Abbasid territory and declares an invasion on me. My maximum army size is about 10k without mercs, and I've just defeated an Abbasid invasion and conquered a duchy from Rajputana (while defeating their Pratihara allies with 15k troops). My vassals are pissed from having levies raised so long and my treasury is almost empty because I immediately spent the 1200 gold I got from the Abbasids on buildings. So, I try the following:

1. Assassinating Seljuk. I spend gold on enough bribes to get plot power to about 130%. Event never fires.
2. Gaining allies. I marry off two kids to nearby realms and spent more gold on improving relations enough to Form Alliances. I'm able to get one ally with about 3k troops by the time Seljuk arrives.

He finally arrives with his armies, split into 3 stacks of about 7k. I attack the first one and defeat it, but it links up with another and I'm now facing 14k troops against my stack of 11k. Over the next few weeks I abuse my generals (who have been trained by a Chinese strategist and thus have 30% movement, allowing me to avoid Seljuk's armies) and dance around, waiting for attrition or seige events to weaken Seljuk's army enough for me to gain an edge. I figure I'm doomed if I face an army of equal numbers.

After a few weeks of this, while desperately waiting for the assassination event to trigger and for my allies to arrive, I notice a stack of 3k Seljuk troops split from the main army. I also notice a little crown icon next to the stack. It seems Seljuk himself wanted to seige down my Silk Road trade post. I pounce on this small army, defeat it handily and capture Seljuk.

I then sacrifice him to Ahriman because my Shah is a Satanist. Seljuk's armies scatter to the winds and the realm is at peace once again. Owned bitch.

On a related note, the Lock Movement feature actually makes the game easier for me. I just wait for an enemy stack to get locked in its path and move a larger army to its destination. The enemy will arrive first (and take advantage of any defensive terrain bonuses) but it's worth it to guarantee a fight you know you'll win.

Nomads are fun but very different from Feudal/Tribal.

- Always have as large of a Horde as possible.
- When you first start out, immediately try to absorb neighboring Nomad provinces. They will likely have the same amount of troops as you do, so wait until their stack is reduced by some other conflict before engaging.
- I tried a Nomad Shattered World game when HF first dropped. If you don't border any Feudal provinces, raiding will be far less useful because Nomad/Tribal provinces are poor. However, it can be useful to raid because you can still capture people and ransom or sacrifice them to improve your Warrior Lodge standing.
- Always be in a Warrior Lodge if you're pagan.
- If you're in a Lodge and you have good personal combat stats, Antagonize any enemy character who's a threat to you. If you antagonize long enough they will challenge you to a duel which you should win. You will then have the option to execute them.

- General Nomad advice: focus on building (in your capital province only) things that increase your maximum Population, pop growth and your cavalry unit stats. Your capital should always be the province with the most empty holdings. You can move capitals periodically. It's useful to have one on a coastal province because you get buildings that further increase your Pop.
- Most of the time, when you conquer new provinces you won't be able to keep many of them because your vassal Clans will demand more territory. It's still worth it to expand even if you're giving most of your conquests away because it makes your vassals stronger and they'll almost always join your wars anyway.
- Form a Blood Bond with the 2nd strongest clan in your realm. This will prevent them from warring you (although it dissolves on ruler death, so if you die and they declare independence there's nothing you can do to prevent it).
- Once you reach 30k maximum population, you get access to Invasion CBs. You then need to reach 75% of your max population in order to use the CB. I *think* the Invasion CB allows you to claim every occupied holding in the realm you're invading whenever you press your demands for peace, so if you can claim the entire Kingdom in one go you should do so.
- If you want to eventually go Feudal, it's easier to settle first as Tribal then reform to Feudalism.
- Nomad Succession is tricky. Generally you will be able to retain control of the Clan when your ruler dies because it passes to the "strongest" male relative (by strongest it means the character with the most Prestige.) To boost prestige in a certain character, be sure to give them honorary titles and/or artifacts that give Prestige. However, children cannot lead the horde and control will pass to another clan if you only have child heirs. You'll then be a vassal clan under a new Khagun, retaining your territory but losing the top title. It can be difficult to regain control of the top level outside of overthrowing the Khagun, but failure will result in your ruler being executed. So, if you only have child heirs be careful about dueling or leading armies because injuries will shorten your lifespan.

Have they fixed the issue that the nomad AI settles the second they gain control of the highest title? I managed a really good nomad game right when the DLC was released, got the achievements "Steppe by Steppe" and "One Arrow Alone can be Easily Broken but Many Arrows are Indestructible", but I have not even gotten close to that since because the second you lose the highest title all your vassals decide to settle.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

Have they fixed the issue that the nomad AI settles the second they gain control of the highest title? I managed a really good nomad game right when the DLC was released, got the achievements "Steppe by Steppe" and "One Arrow Alone can be Easily Broken but Many Arrows are Indestructible", but I have not even gotten close to that since because the second you lose the highest title all your vassals decide to settle.

That hasn't happened to me. In my first HF game I played as Nomads in a Random World. I lost the Khagun title because my only heir was a child, but the new AI Khagun never settled down.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

How high do i have to get opinions of people to get marriages? I've had serious trouble marrying outside Ireland, even with nobles with pretty high opinions of me refuse to marry 3rd or 4th kids off to me.

They might never agree depending on their reasons. If you try to set up a potential marriage/betrothal between two people, you can check their reasons for disagreeing if you hover over the "no" at the bottom of the page. It depends on more stuff than just their opinion of you. If the reason is "political concerns" then you're pretty much never going to get them to agree to it.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

They might never agree depending on their reasons. If you try to set up a potential marriage/betrothal between two people, you can check their reasons for disagreeing if you hover over the "no" at the bottom of the page. It depends on more stuff than just their opinion of you. If the reason is "political concerns" then you're pretty much never going to get them to agree to it.

Does "political concerns" mean they don't want a non aggro pact with me because they may want to attack some day, or are there more factors going into that?

Also is there any benefit to having a really beautiful daughter? I don't see young Russian princes offering me their service to win her hand, though they clearly should.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pidan posted:

Does "political concerns" mean they don't want a non aggro pact with me because they may want to attack some day, or are there more factors going into that?

Also is there any benefit to having a really beautiful daughter? I don't see young Russian princes offering me their service to win her hand, though they clearly should.

Traits play a role in assessing a bride's worth, so being attractive gives your daughter a few more pluses in that category.

Also, political concerns can also be the AI being savy. They are reluctant to marry their daughter to your oldest son and heir, if you are bordering them and at least close to equal in their power. For the same reason why you want to marry them. Because they fear that your grandson will press his claims on their realm. So it's usually easier to search for more distant relatives that still give you an inheritable claim.

But not wanting a non-aggression pact because they plan to attack you in the future is also a possibility.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Thanks for that nomad quick guide, was overhelmed by them before but now I want to start as one, make my way to some nice coastal plot of land then settle as a tribe going republic. Question for that - does jews retaking Jerusalem let them reform?

And on a random note - wish there was a plot or some kind of targeted raid to abduct people.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Thanks for that nomad quick guide, was overhelmed by them before but now I want to start as one, make my way to some nice coastal plot of land then settle as a tribe going republic. Question for that - does jews retaking Jerusalem let them reform?

And on a random note - wish there was a plot or some kind of targeted raid to abduct people.
Jews are not pagans. They do get their own high priest and crusade equivalent, alongside a holy order eventually if you take Israel, focused on Jerusalem yes

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Avalerion posted:

If you select the Intrigue focus you get the option to Abduct people if you Spy On them. It only has a small chance of firing.

If you are a member of the Satanic society, you also get the option to Abduct targets. It's limited, though. I think they can only be Count-level or below.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Am I playing Taoism wrong or is it incredibly boring? I only seem to be able to expand through forging claims, since none of my neighbours want to marry, and they don't have a holy war option.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Right, so every time one of my viceroys die, I have to manually give away 10-15-20 vassal dukes to the new one. What am I doing wrong, here, and is there any way to make it a bit faster? I also risk every time, that I accidentally give away my Fylkirate or Jomsviking vassal, because my brain goes numb after the first couple of vassals.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

You have to have more pluses than minuses, and it'll tell you on the marriage proposal screen if you hover over it. Opinion is only one factor. Often the AI will want a matrilineal marriage for its daughters or just have higher concerns for its sons. Often you have to settle for just getting a claim and pressing it later rather than inheriting directly.

One trick is finding unmarried heirs, invite them to your court, and then they HAVE to accept any marriage offers. It takes a lot of poking around to find them though.

What's really annoying is that it's incredibly hard to spread your dynasty beyond than your borders. I'm not sure I've ever installed a claimant on a foreign throne and had it stick. I think newly-installed claimants just get one county, and then the Idiots won't call me in to help against rebels despite the alliance I give them.

THE BAR posted:

Right, so every time one of my viceroys die, I have to manually give away 10-15-20 vassal dukes to the new one. What am I doing wrong, here, and is there any way to make it a bit faster? I also risk every time, that I accidentally give away my Fylkirate or Jomsviking vassal, because my brain goes numb after the first couple of vassals.

More king viceroys or just giving them as hereditary titles instead. You don't really get organizational tools to do much with the empire that isn't really fiddly.

I'd say that it was historical since it's why so many emperors ended up not managing their empires correctly and let them start to decay, but those emperors had the choice to just let the outer rim manage itself and the player really doesn't.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 26, 2018

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

420 Gank Mid posted:

Some relevant questions might be

What is your top level title? (Emperor/King/Duke/Count)
How many of your top level do you have?
Are they all on the same succession laws?
Are you a vassal or independent?
Are any of your heirs bastards/nuns/castrated(if greek) or otherwise incapable of inheriting?

I'm Emperor of a custom Empire.
Two Empire titles total - Custom and Hispania.
Both are Agnatic Primogeniture, as is my kingdom of Norway title. (I have more Kingdom titles I don't care about.)
Independent.
Nothing's wrong with any of them I can tell.

I loaded an older game and took a look.
2 of my sons (oldest and youngest) took to Orthodox after joining the Varangian guard. They won't convert back.
My middle son is set to inherit, and is still Germanic. He has a Cathar lover and after some testing seems to like switching to Cathar. At this point I lose my dynastic succession. Oh well; I murdered her and resurrected my game.

Maybe being the wrong religion disinherits people? That seems new. It also disinherits their children, because I have a handful of Germanic grandsons through my sons and matrilinearly married daughters. Once my sons convert over my heir becomes a non dynastic cousin.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SlothfulCobra posted:

More king viceroys or just giving them as hereditary titles instead. You don't really get organizational tools to do much with the empire that isn't really fiddly.

I'd say that it was historical since it's why so many emperors ended up not managing their empires correctly and let them start to decay, but those emperors had the choice to just let the outer rim manage itself and the player really doesn't.

I have so many king titles, that I have to give each king vassal 2-3 of them. So it's because they have too many vassals when they die, and they end up back with me? I thought that might be it, as I tend to just throw every spare duke at the newest king, giving me a 2-300 opinion boost.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

Traits play a role in assessing a bride's worth, so being attractive gives your daughter a few more pluses in that category.

Also, political concerns can also be the AI being savy. They are reluctant to marry their daughter to your oldest son and heir, if you are bordering them and at least close to equal in their power. For the same reason why you want to marry them. Because they fear that your grandson will press his claims on their realm. So it's usually easier to search for more distant relatives that still give you an inheritable claim.

But not wanting a non-aggression pact because they plan to attack you in the future is also a possibility.

Yeah “political concerns” is annoyingly vague but it generally means “this would benefit you a lot more than it would benefit me”.

twistedmentat posted:

“Press all claims” only shows up if you have multiple STRONG claims against a single target, which is fairly rare outside of specific circumstances. The thing to bear in mind is that pressing one claim at a time isn’t a big deal because truces are between people, not realms. Meaning if you press a claim against England and the the king suffers an unfortunate accident immediately after the war ends, the truce is nullified and you’re free to press another claim with no penalty.

As for the giving away titles thing, you can usually get away with being one or two over your demense limit without significant penalty (basically at that level the penalties and benefits from the extra land tend to exactly cancel out) and at three or more the council will be a lot more permissive about letting you give titles away to anyone. If you’re trying to give away titles anyway and the council is giving you trouble, remember that you can just fire everyone and stock the council with loyalists to get whatever you need done. You can re-hire them after a short delay so they usually won’t have enough time to organize a large rebellion before you can put them back in the council and force them out of any factions they’d joined/started.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sure you do - that’s what tributary states are for (yeah I know this technically doesn’t paint the map with your realm but it puts your name over them).

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Am I playing Taoism wrong or is it incredibly boring? I only seem to be able to expand through forging claims, since none of my neighbours want to marry, and they don't have a holy war option.
Taoists are China-Jains with Hermetics. So yes, they're dull as dishwater