Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I tried to convince my dad it was not 'Sherman William'.

He's still not convinced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

everdave posted:

If you don’t spend at least an equal time taping as painting then you doing it wrong. I swear by Sherwin Williams and I have never primed and I can almost promise you I have painted more houses than you. Good tape, good paint, cheap brushes is how I roll. Some of those edgers have their place you gotta keep em light coat and clean.

Anyways I took the Landcruiser out tonight (spotlights were for pic I don’t drove around with em on)

We did Sherwin Williams when we bought in July, partially because of the quality, partially because it was about two miles from the house. It looks great, but it did take two coats, because the sellers ALSO used Sherwin Williams.

The terrifying part is that the basement is basically a harlequin VW scheme. Each wall a different, bold color. That's going to need a primer before painting, I think.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Alarbus posted:

You can't be much ahead of us - ours turns 11 months in a week. And he's working on pulling himself up, so I'm going to be busy baby proofing everything. Upside is, the adventurous cat has us in reasonable shape so far!

We drove from Philly to Charleston SC for Thanksgiving, he was a champ both times, even with 650 miles of rain and slow traffic coming home.
Tet Jr progressed pretty quickly from pulling himself up onto two feet with difficulty to walking with minimal assistance. In the last two weeks or so he started standing without assistance and occasionally taking one unsupported step, but generally he'd keep one hand on something stable and walk around. Today was the first chain of several steps. By one year he officially will be a menace, I believe.

Also, I didn't realize you were another Philly dweller. That's a long drive for an infant to be calm. Our last road trip was a while back -- Easter, I think. He was great on the way there and terrible on the way back.

Incidentally, this baby jail has been great.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I am all for baby cages. I used one for my daughter and it gives you the freedom to do what you need, but you're still right there to support. Good parenting, imo.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

I am all for baby cages. I used one for my daughter and it gives you the freedom to do what you need, but you're still right there to support. Good parenting, imo.
He gets pissed about being separated from us, so when I'm tired I'll just lay down in it and let him crawl all over me.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Tet Jr progressed pretty quickly from pulling himself up onto two feet with difficulty to walking with minimal assistance. In the last two weeks or so he started standing without assistance and occasionally taking one unsupported step, but generally he'd keep one hand on something stable and walk around. Today was the first chain of several steps. By one year he officially will be a menace, I believe.

Also, I didn't realize you were another Philly dweller. That's a long drive for an infant to be calm. Our last road trip was a while back -- Easter, I think. He was great on the way there and terrible on the way back.

We (my wife) bought a play yard, largely because the sellers thoroughly shampooed the carpet, and his skin doesn't like it. It's a great corral. My concern is that my wife apparently went straight to running, and he really takes after her. The cats have learned to run.

We're actually off exit 31 on the blue route, and work on the mainline. I post more about being in PA in TFR.

I've done the drive solo in 10.5 hours, down was 11.5, back was 14, traffic and rain sucked.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Alarbus posted:

We (my wife) bought a play yard, largely because the sellers thoroughly shampooed the carpet, and his skin doesn't like it. It's a great corral. My concern is that my wife apparently went straight to running, and he really takes after her. The cats have learned to run.

We're actually off exit 31 on the blue route, and work on the mainline. I post more about being in PA in TFR.

I've done the drive solo in 10.5 hours, down was 11.5, back was 14, traffic and rain sucked.
I'm just outside of Conshohocken. It's super-convenient to head down to the city (where I work), to get on 476 to head to Jersey (where she works), or hit the turnpike to go to my parent's place.

The last time I drove for that long straight-through ... whew, first marriage. It was around 2007 or 2008 and a friend and I went down to Tennessee in my Mazdaspeed 3 so he could look at and buy a 1996 Fleetwood Brougham in the specific color he wanted, in great shape with very low miles for the age (54k, I think).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Uh oh. Ours just did this a couple days ago. I didn't think walking was too far off but yikes. Still trying to baby proof the house better but it ain't easy living in a split level. :suicide:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Yeah it came up on us fast. We already had a poo poo ton of various gates for dog- and cat-herding, thankfully. The old-style adjustable wooden gates are good to have around too, so you can lock the kid into whatever room you're in.

For cabinets, I've had good luck with these magnetic locks, and for drawers these spring latches. The dishwasher has one of these straps, and I need to get around to putting them on the fridge and the stove.

For hard/pointy/miscellaneously-child-killing surfaces, I bought brown pool noodles because they do a good job of blending in while still providing a large area of protection. Just cut to length and slice down the middle, cut out wedges to bend sharp corners, etc.

Oh, and this ghetto patch to keep him from putting his hands/head through the door:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I’m dreading repainting the outside of my house... it’s got exposed timber’s under the verandah and 62 verandah posts....

The painter who was working for the builders said he’d charge about $10K to paint it

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
My parents adopted a cat. Looks like I'm spending more time there.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

My parents adopted a cat. Looks like I'm spending more time there.

Post pics

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Really, doing a dry run with a marker locked in the mill instead of a bit is my kind of brilliant.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ferremit posted:

I’m dreading repainting the outside of my house... it’s got exposed timber’s under the verandah and 62 verandah posts....

The painter who was working for the builders said he’d charge about $10K to paint it

Aren't you a firefighter?

tape up the windows and fill the firetruck up with paint.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I tried to attach but they have an insane size limit. Fix the forums, lowtax.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
E: ^^^^ :shobon:

Wrar posted:

Ankles are stupid designs full of lovely compromise.

Well, they are the result of a lot of trial and error.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Oh, and this ghetto patch to keep him from putting his hands/head through the door:

How many thousands of dollars in coins has he posted down your heating vents?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Goober Peas posted:

I tried to convince my dad it was not 'Sherman William'.

He's still not convinced.

So instead of scorched earth we're talking about charred loam?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

spog posted:

How many thousands of dollars in coins has he posted down your heating vents?

None yet, since he's still in the "eating things found on the floor" stage. But he'll get there.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I have to admit, all this small kid talk is really making me :3:

Our 3rd is now 18 mos, and is our first girl. She is so sweet it kills me. Already has manners saying thank you, loves to give everyone hugs and kisses.:kimchi:

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 26, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ah the memories of childproofing, seems like yesterday when I was locking the cabinets and hiding sharp things, now we're having talks about when it's appropriate/inappropriate to crack jokes and drop F bombs :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Just when you think you're having a totally normal day someone walks into the office to ask you about putting a cat's collar on the wifi at work... We have a cat at work, he's twitter famous and basically lets himself into the various buildings here to go wandering, get fed, get pet and fall asleep on someone's chair. Due to him roaming so far from home (about 3 miles all in) his owners have gotten him a GPS collar to track his location, it also apparently has a wifi mode which would be very useful as we're fully wifi'd up everywhere and it's a pretty huge place. Sadly the app to do this is too dumb to work with commercial wifi so we can't make it work for him.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Just when you think you're having a totally normal day someone walks into the office to ask you about putting a cat's collar on the wifi at work... We have a cat at work, he's twitter famous and basically lets himself into the various buildings here to go wandering, get fed, get pet and fall asleep on someone's chair. Due to him roaming so far from home (about 3 miles all in) his owners have gotten him a GPS collar to track his location, it also apparently has a wifi mode which would be very useful as we're fully wifi'd up everywhere and it's a pretty huge place. Sadly the app to do this is too dumb to work with commercial wifi so we can't make it work for him.

You're going to insert a wifi dongle into that cat's arse, aren't you?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I really hope the tracker app comes with a skin/sound effects for the motion tracker in Alien.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjwofYhUJEM

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

spog posted:

You're going to insert a wifi dongle into that cat's arse, aren't you?

Strangely the thought never crossed my mind until I read it here

:dogbutton:

InitialDave posted:

I really hope the tracker app comes with a skin/sound effects for the motion tracker in Alien.

You'd think it'd be an essential thing if you're a designer making it, right? Sadly it's not a thing. Ridiculous.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
GM is closing several plants, 5500 jobs getting cut.

SO MUCH WINNING

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

GM is closing several plants, 5500 jobs getting cut.

SO MUCH WINNING

Oh, and if you have a 401(k) ... don't, uh look at it for a while.

Edit: Holy poo poo, your numbers appear to be lowballing it. Five plants, 14,700 jobs.
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1067079061028200448

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 26, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
HOLY gently caress.

The link my friend posted was just 5500. Holy gently caress.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

HOLY gently caress.

The link my friend posted was just 5500. Holy gently caress.

That might have just been the factory workers and not the white-collars, since the latter is estimated around 8,100 employees.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Yeah but their stock went up so just more signs pointing to the US economy doing well and jobs being plentiful!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
oh man so glad we passed that tax bill last year! just imagine how much less money GM would be making!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Yeah but their stock went up so just more signs pointing to the US economy doing well and jobs being plentiful!

I mean, economically speaking we are at full employment as to say that unemployment is now 4.0% across the board and 5.0% and under, by economists definition, is considered full employment. We hit full employment in September 2016 and the unemployment rate has been in a steady decline. Your state might differ from that number, we're at 4.2%, but we're still in full employment conditions as to say all values are rising due to willingness to pay scenarios.

BraveUlysses posted:

oh man so glad we passed that tax bill last year! just imagine how much less money GM would be making!

My wallet is glad too because I'm now at a lower tax bracket than 33%. Feels good, man.

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 26, 2018

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
NASA InSight Stream!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwMDvPCGeE0

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

keykey posted:

I mean, economically speaking we are at full employment as to say that unemployment is now 4.0% across the board and 5.0% and under, by economists definition, is considered full employment. We hit full employment in September 2016 and the unemployment rate has been in a steady decline. Your state might differ from that number, we're at 4.2%, but we're still in full employment conditions as to say all values are rising due to willingness to pay scenarios.

My wallet is glad too because I'm now at a lower tax bracket than 33%. Feels good, man.

It's worth noting that just because the records show low unemployment, that doesnt take things like underemployment into account.

Just because the gig economy bubble has burst yet doesnt mean people are doing well.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ExplodingSims posted:

It's worth noting that just because the records show low unemployment, that doesnt take things like underemployment into account.

Just because the gig economy bubble has burst yet doesnt mean people are doing well.

he's doing well, which we all really really care about

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

ExplodingSims posted:

Hello, this is what the current UK government is doing to fudge the numbers. Any amount of hours of work per week = employed even if it's just a single hour.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’m sure it didn’t get national attention but a man 2 days from retirement was killed in his new GTR by some bitch rear end punk throwing concrete off the bridge in Nashville. Haven’t caught anybody.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Game 12 of Carlsen Caruana results in the 12th draw! Even for chess this is loving boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

he's doing well, which we all really really care about

I understand being salty about being poor is kind of "your thing" and all, but go out there and do something about your situation: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2968008

• Locked thread