Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

they're perfectly fine like every other mid-budget korean instrument, but they're the affliction shirt of guitars

If you're left-handed, Schecter have a way better range of decent quality lefty guitars compared to pretty much everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Yo take it to a tech. Anyone attaching a speaker output to a sound card has no business opening the chassis of a mains powered amp

buy a torpedo captor or just record a bass DI next time

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

Disco De Soto posted:

I did some stupid poo poo last night and may have wrecked my new Fender Rumble 200 - I connected a cable from the 8 ohm external speaker output into a sound card and now my amp sound really hosed up. It sounds like the overdrive is cranked up even though I'm playing clean, and the volume keeps fluctuating. Also it makes a loud POP when I turn it on. Any ideas what might be the problem or how to fix it? In the end we found an XLR cable and DI'd it, and the recording sounded fine, so I guess it must be the speakers?

Should still be under warranty but ugh so stupid!

Mine did this on it's own, twice before I gave it away.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

nurrwick posted:

Bolded part there suggests it's an output transistor that died. If you have a schematic or if the part didn't blow itself up when it failed, you should be able to source and replace the output devices for less than $20, parts and shipping.

If the amp is class D, it gets way more complicated. [edit: it's not a class d]

That's if you're a tinkerer and have a soldering workstation, anyway. If not, expect a steep diagnostic fee and small parts and labor bill from an amp shop... Or play warranty roulette!

The Rumble 200 combo and head are both Class D. Take it back to the shop.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

The Rumble 200 combo and head are both Class D. Take it back to the shop.

Huh, you'd think Fender's product page would have yelled that loud and proud but the only place I can find that says that is Thomann. I guess it makes sense, though, if they sell it as a head version.

Why take a class D to a shop instead of work on it yourself?
I was able to mostly resurrect an Ampeg Portaflex PF500 I bought broken on ebay by replacing its output devices, the class D driver chip, and a couple of diodes near it. It still only worked for about 15 minutes at a time before it would dump into protect and wouldn't come back until a power cycle. Could have been a solder joint that cracked, could have been a bad interface between driver and heat sink, it could have failed because the thermal sensor died. No way to know for sure, but it was cheaper to send Full Compass $200 for a new power board than to take it in for repair (or continue on my own time with diagnostics and IC replacements).

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

nurrwick posted:

Huh, you'd think Fender's product page would have yelled that loud and proud but the only place I can find that says that is Thomann. I guess it makes sense, though, if they sell it as a head version.

Why take a class D to a shop instead of work on it yourself?
I was able to mostly resurrect an Ampeg Portaflex PF500 I bought broken on ebay by replacing its output devices, the class D driver chip, and a couple of diodes near it. It still only worked for about 15 minutes at a time before it would dump into protect and wouldn't come back until a power cycle. Could have been a solder joint that cracked, could have been a bad interface between driver and heat sink, it could have failed because the thermal sensor died. No way to know for sure, but it was cheaper to send Full Compass $200 for a new power board than to take it in for repair (or continue on my own time with diagnostics and IC replacements).

They're very quiet about it, yes. I'm just going off a few articles saying the range is all Class D above the practice amp stuff since 2014 and OP saying it's a new amp.

Also I agree with you about the repair, but you seem to know what you're doing. Concatenation said it better than I could already.

Concatenation posted:

Yo take it to a tech. Anyone attaching a speaker output to a sound card has no business opening the chassis of a mains powered amp

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

they're perfectly fine like every other mid-budget korean instrument, but they're the affliction shirt of guitars
Through this thread, I've learned to embrace the adorable dorkery of Steve Vai, learned that Animals as Leaders are the pioneers of Windham Hill Metal and managed to be convinced that buying a multi-scale guitar was not the zenith of stupid music poo poo (like it more than my PRS, but less than my Larrivée). But this. This post might be the most informative thing I've gotten out of these forums. :mmmhmm:

Chalupa Joe posted:

If you're left-handed, Schecter have a way better range of decent quality lefty guitars compared to pretty much everyone.
:yeah:

As a lefty, it makes you feel like someone, out there, might not be selling you a slightly shittier version of the right-handed instrument. Especially because the QC is off the hook. :)

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Fender non-tube bass stuff is all Genz-Benz based class D designs now

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah, I should have been clearer - even if you know what you're doing, working on class D sucks at best.

Interesting note: according to the schematic for the Rumble 40, the preamp sections of all the Rumble amps from the 40 up are identical. Same PCB and everything. I guess if you only want the amp for the DI for some reason, you can buy the small one and it'll sound exactly the same as the larger options.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

stillvisions posted:

Not really stupid music poo poo, just laughing a a local store's Black Friday sale: 15% OFF EVERYTHING IN THE STORE*

And on a separate page:

This is Cosmo Music, right? Because I went there today to buy a THR10, and I still got the discount even though Yamaha was on that list.

Anyway, my stupid music poo poo is that I absolutely love this THR10 and feel like it will replace the Focusrite interface and Bias FX setup I was using for headphone practice, as well as my regular home setup of a Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister Deluxe 40 and a Orange 1x12 cab (as well accompanying pedalboard which is pretty basic - only has a tuner, fuzz, EQ, looper and H&K footswitch on it).

I mean I think the Grandmeister Deluxe 40 is an amazing amp but my current living situation doesn't really let me use it all that much due to volume concerns, even at the 1 watt setting. Plus it's kind of overkill because I'm only a bedroom guitarist and I highly doubt I will ever be more than that. Not to mention that I don't have a lot of space available anyway - it's nice how the THR10 can just sit on my desk and doesn't even need a separate speaker cab. Think I might just put the H&K head, cab and pedalboard in storage for now until I achieve my dream of owning a place with a dedicated "music room".

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
https://reverb.com/item/7497260-jimmy-page-dragon-telecaster-dragoncaster-tribute-custom-licensed-replica-w-hard-case

This guy is so full of poo poo.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
LOL, I honestly can't tell if that's supposed to be a joke or not.

I'm pretty sure there's a guy selling counterfeit Fenders on my local FB market. He runs a Reverb shop under a different name but uses the same backdrop for all of his photos across all platforms. All of his "legitimate" guitars go through Reverb, while his FB is full of questionable Strats. I don't know if they're Chinese fakes or if he's just putting Fender decals on Squiers, but at least none of his fakes have the wrong brand name on the headstock.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Well it wasn't a string I guess

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

homewrecker posted:

Think I might just put the H&K head, cab and pedalboard in storage for now until I achieve my dream of owning a place with a dedicated "music room".
The THR10 loves pedals!

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

That strange guy posted:

Mine did this on it's own, twice before I gave it away.

Really? Did you never figure out why it was happening? Why just give it away?

I'm not 100% sure that it was plugging into the audio interface that hosed it. So weird that the amp still sounds totally fine until I crank it up past 50% volume.

Can someone explain to this stupid person why it's bad to connect the external speaker output to an audio interface? I can't find any information in my amp manual or online. But maybe that's cause I'm stupid.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Disco De Soto posted:

I'm not 100% sure that it was plugging into the audio interface that hosed it. So weird that the amp still sounds totally fine until I crank it up past 50% volume.

Can someone explain to this stupid person why it's bad to connect the external speaker output to an audio interface? I can't find any information in my amp manual or online. But maybe that's cause I'm stupid.

There's a technical explanation involving electrical load, voltage tolerances in parts but to get to there would take a million years so think about it this way:

At the interface end it's like trying to take a small drink of water from a firehose.
At the amp end it's like sitting in your driveway with your foot flat to the floor in neutral.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

3 people are really loving stupid

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

He's full of poo poo but I can't fault the guy for ripping off the corksniffer crowd. The SX logo is visible on one of the pictures, and the description is truthful, so it's on them for not doing their research.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Disco De Soto posted:

You basically stuck a pair of ear buds into a wall socket

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Why is it impossible to find a used BC Rich Stealth? The Chuck Schuldiner one. Ugh

It's some real stupid music poo poo, but I want one badly.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 26, 2018

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

homewrecker posted:

This is Cosmo Music, right? Because I went there today to buy a THR10, and I still got the discount even though Yamaha was on that list.

Lol yep. I went there for a keyboard stand and the Earthquaker devices Data Corrupter and asked about other stuff and they said it was really everything that wasn't a door crasher so :shrug: why they put that in the fine print.

Also the Data Corrupter is a fun little pedal; it only really has one trick, but it's a good one. Next up to see how well it tracks my Miku Stomp.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Malaria posted:

Why is it impossible to find a used BC Rich Stealth? The Chuck Schuldiner one. Ugh

It's some real stupid music poo poo, but I want one badly.

You mean these two? I mean, they're expensive as heck, but them's the breaks. :shobon:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I want one v badly ugh

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does anyone make a knock off Stealth?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

s.i.r.e. posted:

Jackson Warrior

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/shape/warrior

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
there's also the ibanez xiphos

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

What about the diometric opposite of stealth

https://crimsonguitars.com/master-built-198/

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

What about the diometric opposite of stealth

https://crimsonguitars.com/master-built-198/

That's a Bich

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

I want one v badly ugh

Vs are stupidly fun guitars for no reason other than being Vs.

:black101:

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 26, 2018

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
there needs to be a thread that's the exact opposite of this one for things like this

https://twitter.com/conortheconor/status/1067192166873583617

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Shugojin posted:

3 people are really loving stupid

Those are probably dummy accounts made by the genius luthier.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

*scrolling*

“ah good no hardtails, I don’t have to worry about the gas”

NATURAL WOOD HARDTAIL gently caress

Gringostar posted:

there needs to be a thread that's the exact opposite of this one for things like this

lmao holy poo poo

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Vs are stupidly fun guitars for no reason other than being Vs.

:black101:

I almost traded for a V but didn’t. I suck. It was Gibson scale though and I don’t like how squished I feel on those.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

completely unprovoked insecure crybaby from yesterday in the Wampler group

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
i am still hype about my new xaviere but drat, gfs' post-sale shipping times are definitely my stupid music poo poo of the day

purchased october 16th, still hasn't shipped :mad:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

that's about the level of sophisticated boomer humor i'd expect from the wampler facebook page

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

lmao

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Imagine being so into sucking oil tycoon dick that you blurt out climate change denial unsolicited in a guitar group

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gringostar posted:

This is maybe the most incredible thing I've read in a while

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

y’all missed a key detail in that by the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

OutOfPrint posted:

The SX logo is visible on one of the pictures, and the description is truthful, so it's on them for not doing their research.
Except the body and neck are not licensed and the body is made of basswood instead of ash. Seymour Vintage Broadcaster Tele Pickups are sold in sets of two, Jimmy Page's actual guitar only had two pickups, but this one has three. A three way switch does not work with a three pickup setup. And the "Vintage 3-Saddle Tele Bridge" is some pooptastic six saddle bridge. I definitely understand the desire to grift bluesdads, but at least do a better job sheesh.