Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I like to believe that all the Mechwarrior player characters are really 0/0 WOB sleeper agent cyborgs and that's why they get 3rd person views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

PoptartsNinja posted:

Every author, particularly every early author, had a different idea of what the Neurohelmet did or didn't do. At the same time Justin Allard was getting his fancy prosthetic, Minobu Tetsuhara was piloting a Dragon with a prosthetic arm and leg made out of a hunk of wood.

I'm OK with "Neurohelmets do something ephemeral" and "different pilots utilize the same equipment differently" being a thing. If Grayson Carlyle needs the maintenance waldos to control a BattleMech's hands and Minobu Tetsuhara can pilot a 'Mech with only minimal use of the controls and Morgan Kell and Yorinaga Kurita can will their 'Mechs to stop transmitting IFF codes all that does is make the universe more fun.

I like the idea that the DI computer's response to any input is "... Sure, whatever, that works for me!" whether you've been trained to control a 'Mech through meditation or just pushing those joysticks around as much as humanly possible.

Well there is the possibility that even the mechwarriors don't really know how it works and are just assuming. Also Justin *might* have been overselling that bit because of the whole plot involving him.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

TheCenturion posted:

Where the fluff tends to not quite agree is on 'how' the pilot controls the 'Mech. Is it like the MechWarrior games, where you're just piloting a walking tank with a HOTAS, or do you have a pedal for the left leg, a pedal for the right leg, and you're basically playing QWOP?

If it's the latter, how do quad pilots do it? Are they recruited from a pool of bronies?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
So tomorrow is the big day eh? I'm excited for double gauss KGC's and to become the pirate king ofc

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

wiegieman posted:

I like to believe that all the Mechwarrior player characters are really 0/0 WOB sleeper agent cyborgs and that's why they get 3rd person views.
There's a legitimate case to be made that the MechAssault character is a Wobbie Machina Domini Cyber Zombie and the "heroic dragoon" narrative is programming to keep him fighting.

Taerkar posted:

Well there is the possibility that even the mechwarriors don't really know how it works and are just assuming. Also Justin *might* have been overselling that bit because of the whole plot involving him.
Even Clan technicians who should actually know how the neurohelmets work tell Aidan Pryde "Ok, you'll probably hear a buzzing sound here for reasons we can't explain and it might hurt a bit but all the numbers are normal and that'll go away the next time you put the helmet on so we think it's psychosomatic? Anyway, have fun hope you don't get a migraine."

VVV Oh, I know. It's just that the "Battle Armor" from MechAssault looks a lot like the Gestalt.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 26, 2018

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Taerkar posted:

To be fair, the whole conceit really just doesn't stand up to scrutiny. "Hey, we can clone human beings and upload memories, but we'll be damned if we can invent non-toxic coolant.'

Oh, and when I say 'MechWarrior' games, I mean like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MechWarrior_2%3A_31st_Century_Combat not like MechAssault.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 26, 2018

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Nasgate posted:

Gonna have 3 mech bays of hatchets to throw at missions and develop my Merc image.
Welcome 2 Juggalotech

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

So I guess the media embargo is lifted on FP/1.3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfzbvi5jJz0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS8D68ZnRn8

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

The most important thing to know about Roguetech is don't play Roguetech.

There's mixed opinions, somehow, for playing or not playing Roguetech.

As someone who has played Roguetech, don't play it. It is awful until you reach the top tier of play, at which point you've forced yourself to endure some of the most sluggish and annoying fights you can imagine, along with tedious mechbuilding and just barely staying afloat because you have no idea what you are doing and only very particular argo upgrades should be obtained at certain points because gently caress you. And somehow fighting assault mechs when you're toting lights, on one of the lowest difficulty levels possible.

I like the IDEA of Roguetech, being to introduce a bunch of different mods and cool new content that the base game needs to keep it fresh. Unfortunately, almost none of the stuff has been tested worth a drat. Not to mention a bunch of audio and visual glitches from trying to make the base game do stuff it shouldn't.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If you like the idea but not the bloat check out that company commander mod.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
Any suggestions for good LPs of this game? It looks like it's going to be a bit longer than I thought before I can pick it up, and I feel like watching some gameplay until then. I've already been spoilered on most of the plot, so my only concern is finding someone who is good at the game and presents it well (Smite's Into the Breach LP is a prime example of what I'm hoping for).

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

evilmiera posted:

As someone who has played Roguetech, don't play it. It is awful until you reach the top tier of play, at which point you've forced yourself to endure some of the most sluggish and annoying fights you can imagine, along with tedious mechbuilding and just barely staying afloat because you have no idea what you are doing and only very particular argo upgrades should be obtained at certain points because gently caress you. And somehow fighting assault mechs when you're toting lights, on one of the lowest difficulty levels possible.

I like the IDEA of Roguetech, being to introduce a bunch of different mods and cool new content that the base game needs to keep it fresh. Unfortunately, almost none of the stuff has been tested worth a drat. Not to mention a bunch of audio and visual glitches from trying to make the base game do stuff it shouldn't.

I am also someone who played Roguetech and I have a different opinion of course! I love the variety and how in-depth the mechbuilding is and definitely don't think it's the least bit tedious. It's actually my favorite part. The early battles are challenging for sure, but I also like that, but really once you learn the tactics that favor Roguetech instead of the tactics that work in vanilla then the combat really isn't any more challenging, especially considering how much more powerful you can make your mechs due to the extensive customization that can be done.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
My two cents on Roguetech: I love it. Not as a player, but as a developer. It's a way for people to explore other ideas for how to make various game systems work, and it's relatively risk-free. One of the most common conversations we've had since the Kickstarter is 'here's how you should implement [feature]', and often those conversations are full of interesting ideas, but we simply don't have the bandwidth or the confidence in the idea to try it out, put it in front of players, see what people think.

I mean, we've managed one significant skill rebalance since launch. Compare to the number of times modders have revised or replaced the skills. Because we're necessarily obsessive about mitigating risk, we can't iterate that fast. But having that as a kind of skunkworks means we get to see a lot of really interesting gameplay as practical, hands-on examples rather than forum arguments and theorycrafting. Roguetech means that all those ideas are collected into a central location, so it's easy for people to try out and give the kinds of feedback I see here, and in other forums. And whether we use the specific ideas in RT or not, we're reading every bit of that feedback to see what kinds of things people like and don't like.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

isildur posted:

My two cents on Roguetech: I love it. Not as a player, but as a developer.

Now there's something I can agree with. Seeing the effects of weapons and how they're implemented, as well as other changes is interesting and cool. I just don't want to play to the point where switching stuff out is easier for the player and I just watch videos of other people doing that same thing instead.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

isildur posted:

My two cents on Roguetech: I love it. Not as a player, but as a developer. It's a way for people to explore other ideas for how to make various game systems work, and it's relatively risk-free. One of the most common conversations we've had since the Kickstarter is 'here's how you should implement [feature]', and often those conversations are full of interesting ideas, but we simply don't have the bandwidth or the confidence in the idea to try it out, put it in front of players, see what people think.

I mean, we've managed one significant skill rebalance since launch. Compare to the number of times modders have revised or replaced the skills. Because we're necessarily obsessive about mitigating risk, we can't iterate that fast. But having that as a kind of skunkworks means we get to see a lot of really interesting gameplay as practical, hands-on examples rather than forum arguments and theorycrafting. Roguetech means that all those ideas are collected into a central location, so it's easy for people to try out and give the kinds of feedback I see here, and in other forums. And whether we use the specific ideas in RT or not, we're reading every bit of that feedback to see what kinds of things people like and don't like.

I'm sure RT and other mods that throw around lots of ideas are super cool for you.

I also love that RT can exist even if I don't want to play it. Just, ah, please don't take the popularity of RT as the majority opinion on how people want to enjoy a game.

spacetoaster posted:

How many things (planets, moons, spacestations, asteriods, etc) do humans inhabit in BT? Has anyone ever said what the population is?

I imagine with that size, literally anything and everything has happened. And is happening.

I think the only reasonable explanation for the number of inhabited worlds and total population in the BT universe is that sometime between now and about 2200 humans suddenly evolved the ability to reproduce by fission, like bacteria.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Klyith posted:

I think the only reasonable explanation for the number of inhabited worlds and total population in the BT universe is that sometime between now and about 2200 humans suddenly evolved the ability to reproduce by fission, like bacteria.

I think it was easier to have large families during the Star League era when a Terra-level of standard of living was the norm on developed worlds. The average workweek on Terra is between twenty and thirty hours and they can spend the vast majority of it on entertainment, luxuries or flying cars. Plus, people are living for 120 years and having kids as late as their 70s. It's one Holodeck short of living in the Federation.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cohhcarnage did a good pre launch one, he's not too wildly wHaCkY or anything and his enthusiasm for it is fairly adorable

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

PoptartsNinja posted:

Every author, particularly every early author, had a different idea of what the Neurohelmet did or didn't do. At the same time Justin Allard was getting his fancy prosthetic, Minobu Tetsuhara was piloting a Dragon with a prosthetic arm and leg made out of a hunk of wood.

I'm OK with "Neurohelmets do something ephemeral" and "different pilots utilize the same equipment differently" being a thing. If Grayson Carlyle needs the maintenance waldos to control a BattleMech's hands and Minobu Tetsuhara can pilot a 'Mech with only minimal use of the controls and Morgan Kell and Yorinaga Kurita can will their 'Mechs to stop transmitting IFF codes all that does is make the universe more fun.

I like the idea that the DI computer's response to any input is "... Sure, whatever, that works for me!" whether you've been trained to control a 'Mech through meditation or just pushing those joysticks around as much as humanly possible.

I've always appreciated that the inputs are not standardized. We have KBM, Controller, HOTAS division within gaming, so I don't see how mechs from different manufactures, some hundreds of years apart, don't have radically different input styles. It fits into the "everything is old and cobbled together" shtick that the early fiction had.

On the other hand Titanfall totally spoiled me on depicting mechs, and now I just imagine all Battletech Mechs function like Titans but without the lovable AI.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

deathbagel posted:

I am also someone who played Roguetech and I have a different opinion of course! I love the variety and how in-depth the mechbuilding is and definitely don't think it's the least bit tedious. It's actually my favorite part. The early battles are challenging for sure, but I also like that, but really once you learn the tactics that favor Roguetech instead of the tactics that work in vanilla then the combat really isn't any more challenging, especially considering how much more powerful you can make your mechs due to the extensive customization that can be done.

I loved it up until it kept on crapping out on me and stopped working.

Huge giant ball of "stuff" tacked on not as well thought out as I'd like, but hey, it's a bunch of mods collected by one person not getting paid to do it and I'm fine with that take it or leave bit that they (she?) does. I liked most of it.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

That dude who made the mechwarrior revival animation made something that was anime as gently caress that i still would watch several seasons of. Does anyone know someone at roosterteeth to give that man a show? If rwby can run for 4(?) seasons I'm sure that guy could make a drat good show that went for 5+.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 27, 2018

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Polka_Rapper posted:

Any suggestions for good LPs of this game? It looks like it's going to be a bit longer than I thought before I can pick it up, and I feel like watching some gameplay until then. I've already been spoilered on most of the plot, so my only concern is finding someone who is good at the game and presents it well (Smite's Into the Breach LP is a prime example of what I'm hoping for).

Soon I should have one up. Started working on it back in Sept, then life happened

Aiming to launch a thread in LP once Flashpoint drops.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

evilmiera posted:

i played about a dozen attempted-campaigns in roguetech and this is my experience as well. it adds a lot of new toys but you generally won't see most of them unless you start with them, and the 'mech salvage/rebuilding system (especially mechs starting empty without even a (very expensive) fusion core to make them go) is punishing. my first six games lasted about a month or three in-game and i was frequently running only three 'mechs on a mission because that awful deathtrap locust (or valkyrie, gently caress those things) you start with just never gets replaced. it's really lovely how evasion doesn't get stripped away from shooting and you don't have access to sensor lock to strip evasion so unless you lucked out and got a TAG or some pulse lasers or streak missiles you can just get hosed. it's especially noticable on some of the pimped out light 'mechs (ex. Dagger, Pirate's Bane, Venom, Ex Mortis) or anything with stealth/NSS and ECM - those can pull up to 7 evasion pips for a whopping <10% chance to get hit.

the economy balance is less of a "space mercs" thing and more of a "struggling small business". i described it to my friends as "an excellent space poverty simulator" where you never really leave that starting phase of "doing missions just to keep the company afloat".

admittedly you can mitigate some of this with the customization settings and i wound up playing with both salvage and money set to generous but by that time i had just gotten so burned out on facing six locusts or whatever yet again and never seeing a medium mech i could salvage, or even if i did see one i wouldn't see it again because there's so many loving 'mechs.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Paingod556 posted:

Soon I should have one up. Started working on it back in Sept, then life happened

Aiming to launch a thread in LP once Flashpoint drops.

Thanks, I'll check it out when it's up.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

I think it was easier to have large families during the Star League era when a Terra-level of standard of living was the norm on developed worlds. The average workweek on Terra is between twenty and thirty hours and they can spend the vast majority of it on entertainment, luxuries or flying cars. Plus, people are living for 120 years and having kids as late as their 70s. It's one Holodeck short of living in the Federation.

Doesn't elevated standards of living tend to decrease birth tates though.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
So I have flashpoint, but steam isn't downloading it. Is the expansion not officially available/active yet?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Organ Fiend posted:

So I have flashpoint, but steam isn't downloading it. Is the expansion not officially available/active yet?

Not for a few more hours according to this post.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-time-is-flashpoint-and-1-3-dropping-tomorrow.1131376/#post-24889184

quote:

The release time for Flashpoint is closer to 19:00 CET. The countdown stream starts a couple of hours earlier. :)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Can I just say I am HYPED to be playing this game again, I got through one (suboptimal) playthrough shortly after release, and had a bunch of performance issues, but enjoyed the game. Psyched to see how the game is today.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

pumped to start flashpoint after work. Looking forward to new tactics and hopefully, a bit more time in little mechs.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ah, so it's in about an hour 15 minutes? That means I can get something to eat properly at least before then.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

evilmiera posted:

Ah, so it's in about an hour 15 minutes? That means I can get something to eat properly at least before then.

I feel that. Release day is bad on diets. Especially around the holidays. Time to go get some romaine and.. oh wait that will kill you. Pizza it is!

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Announcement is live on Steam

And Bulkwark Changes

quote:

The possible states a Mech can be in are thus:
  • No Bulwark, in the open: 0% DR
  • No Bulwark, in cover: 20% DR
  • No Bulwark, guarded: 20% DR
  • No Bulwark, in cover, guarded: 40% DR
  • Bulwark, in the open: 0% DR
  • Bulwark, in cover: 40% DR
  • Bulwark, guarded: 40% DR
  • Bulwark, in cover, guarded: 60% DR
PASSIVE: COVER and GUARDED states both provide 40% damage reduction rather than 20% damage reduction. COVER and GUARDED together provide 60% damage reduction.

This might make cover actually worth using, which is exciting to me. Can't wait to try this out tonight!

quote:

Guts 8 (Juggernaut) is now Coolant Vent.
ACTION: This unit will remove 50 extra heat this round. For the next three rounds, this unit will gain an extra 8 heat. There is a 4 round cooldown.
:supaburn:

Rectovagitron fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 27, 2018

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-notes.1131637/

Patch Notes

Download is live!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

the only change that matters:

quote:

Players can now move 'Mechs from one Mech Bay slot to another. Organize away!

(there's a lot of good changes actually)

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is career mode on? I'm not keen on playing another round of the storyline, fun as it was the first go-round.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm a dope.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Looking forward to be extra space-impoverished since I don't get welfare assaults. :haw:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Does the existing release of BTML still work? I don't have the big mods where I have to worry about the game not working at all, but I won't be able to continue my campaign without it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Is it right that Flashpoint isn't active yet but 1.3 is? I don't seem to be able to do anything to make Steam activate the DLC.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

dreadmojo posted:

Cohhcarnage did a good pre launch one, he's not too wildly wHaCkY or anything and his enthusiasm for it is fairly adorable
Cohh's mentioned that he wants to try out the new expansion soon, but dates are still TBA.

Also congrats to isildur for writing this thing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DeepThrobble posted:

Cohh's mentioned that he wants to try out the new expansion soon, but dates are still TBA.

Also congrats to isildur for writing this thing.

Nice work kiva, unless it's super terrible in which case commiserations I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

RabidWeasel posted:

Is it right that Flashpoint isn't active yet but 1.3 is? I don't seem to be able to do anything to make Steam activate the DLC.

correct, still an hour out I think for Flashpoint