Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Russian gas is a two way street. Russia is way more reliant on those exports than the EU is. New sources of gas are already coming online in the next few years (particularly LNG terminals but also connections to Israel's recently discovered field in the Mediterranean). There is a lot of shale gas potential in Sweden, and Norway has considerable reserves as well.

The worst thing Russia could do is turn off the tap in a way that permanently results in European countries moving to new sources.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mortabis posted:

Russian gas is a two way street. Russia is way more reliant on those exports than the EU is. New sources of gas are already coming online in the next few years (particularly LNG terminals but also connections to Israel's recently discovered field in the Mediterranean). There is a lot of shale gas potential in Sweden, and Norway has considerable reserves as well.

The worst thing Russia could do is turn off the tap in a way that permanently results in European countries moving to new sources.

See also: OPEC and their oil embargo in the 70s. This kind of strongarming only gets you so far, especially when your economy is kinda heavily based on being an energy supplier.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

And besides, Russia has already been working on infrastructure that could lead to them selectively being able turn off the tap to Ukraine, while still supplying Central and Western Europe.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Remember a couple of years ago how the oil sands up in the mid-north states boomed when oil hit a certain point?

Yeah, sure the oil costs more but no one is going without if Russia embargoes the Ukraine or the EU.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It's not really that simple. Oil != Natural Gas. Pipelines are way easier than ships. When Russia and Ukraine were in open combat, Central and Western Europe kept buying energy from Russia.

Oil extraction in the middle east, generally, is both cheaper and higher quality than US middle-America extraction. And the supply lines to Europe are shorter. And drat near everyone but the USA didn't pull out of JCPOA.

About 35-40% of all natural gas in the entire EU comes from Russia. That's a lot of leverage to more or less ignore something that's been considered a Russian satellite since the 1920s.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

shame on an IGA posted:

One Weird Trick To Hate FL410
Sponsored Content by Bombardier

This got lost in the shuffle a few pages back but I laughed.
:golfclap:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

It's not really that simple. Oil != Natural Gas. Pipelines are way easier than ships. When Russia and Ukraine were in open combat, Central and Western Europe kept buying energy from Russia.

Oil extraction in the middle east, generally, is both cheaper and higher quality than US middle-America extraction. And the supply lines to Europe are shorter. And drat near everyone but the USA didn't pull out of JCPOA.

About 35-40% of all natural gas in the entire EU comes from Russia. That's a lot of leverage to more or less ignore something that's been considered a Russian satellite since the 1920s.

The US is the worlds largest natural gas producer. Yes, it would be more expensive to ship NG to the EU than to pipe it from Russia. But also, as the price rises new alternatives will be found or old ones will become feasible.

I am probably naive but I don't think the problem is lack of alternatives as much as it's entrenched powerful interests not wanting to lose wealth or power. However, turning a blind eye to Putin flopping his dick on the table and saying, "I am taking this, gently caress you." seems intolerable to me.

Especially when the people of that country have expressly made themselves heard as not wanting to be a Russian satellite.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Shooting Blanks posted:

England has a reasonable shot of seizing assets, there is a ton of Russian money tied up there. Unfortunately they haven't really shown the political will to do so, even after Russia has (allegedly) murdered people on British soil.
Thanks to the Russian funded Brexit process reaching a crunch point, we don't really have a functioning Government right now...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Murgos posted:

Yes, it would be more expensive to ship NG to the EU than to pipe it from Russia.

I invite you to enter "gilets jaunes" in Google News to find out what happens when oil or gas becomes more expensive for political reasons.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

shame on an IGA posted:

One Weird Trick To Hate FL410
Sponsored Content by Bombardier

"We're gonna hit houses, dude."

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The problem with Russian gas is switching costs. The Russians have some but not unlimited leverage to manipulate the Europeans with the gas valve. Once they use up that leverage it's gone forever. Latvia installed an LNG terminal to import gas from Norway, which prevents Russia from cutting them off and also dramatically reduced the price Russia can demand for gas from them. Other countries are following suit. It may not be long before the threat of cutting off heat in the winter becomes empty.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hauldren Collider posted:

Their "navy" consisted, in this case, of a patrol boat and a cargo ship parked under a bridge

I actually don't think they expected the situation to escalate like this, but I do think they parked there to show the flag.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-Relations/Japan-to-order-100-more-F-35-fighters-from-US

Japan is buying F-35Bs and plans to modify the Izumo class helicopter carriers to support them.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Hauldren Collider posted:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-Relations/Japan-to-order-100-more-F-35-fighters-from-US

Japan is buying F-35Bs and plans to modify the Izumo class helicopter carriers to support them.

Well I am shocked at this revelation.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Helicopter Destroyers, please! Not carriers!! Oh my no ha ha.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Of course one of them is named Kaga.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

priznat posted:

It would be great if when the time comes to decommission then they let the USN do the sinkex, just for old times sake.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

crazyivan45 posted:

Of course one of them is named Kaga.

A lot of JMSDF ships share names with Imperial Japanese Navy ships since they are named after the same concepts or geographic features. There's also an Akagi, Kongo, Chokai, and Kirishima among others.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cyrano4747 posted:

It would be great if when the time comes to decommission then they let the USN do the sinkex, just for old times sake.

I have a better idea.

Space Battleship Makeover Party starring Grimes.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

priznat posted:

Apparently they actually have some VLS cells. I wonder if that was added just to maintain the bizarre notion that they are destroyers despite no one ever actually believing that at any point.

EDIT: nevermind, apparently that's the Hyuga class, its predecessor. Which also looks, uh, like a carrier.

You can kinda see them in the back corner.

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 27, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
That's a really weird place to put a CIWS, and I *really* hope it's programmed to have a limited engagement arc that doesn't, you know, spray down the flight deck with 20mm if it ever has to traverse over it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That's a really weird place to put a CIWS, and I *really* hope it's programmed to have a limited engagement arc that doesn't, you know, spray down the flight deck with 20mm if it ever has to traverse over it.

Tunguska malfunctions in the worst/most hilarious way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5djvOTzRZ0

EDIT: Or possibly the gunner's hand just slipped.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 27, 2018

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I mean, a lot longer than that. There was no independent Ukraine in the 19th century.
Or like ever before then unless you maybe count the Cossacks for a bit.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Murgos posted:

Especially when the people of that country have expressly made themselves heard as not wanting to be a Russian satellite.

This particular part is kind of complicated though. Eastern Ukraine and Crimea (the bits Russia took, with the help of the locals in the former case) are actually full of Russian speakers who did heavily lean towards Moscow before all this went down. 'The People' were and are not a unitary voice on this one. It's like saying 'the people' of Britain want Brexit.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

mlmp08 posted:

That figure is kind of misleading in a lot of ways.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/stati..._oils_to_the_EU

Of all energy imports, natural gas is only 20% of the total imports. The importance of natural gas tends to get overplayed a lot, especially since the Russian slice of the total imports has been decreasing since the Georgian war. It could be argued that the export of natural gas is far more important to Russia than it is for the EU countries to buy it from Russia.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

feedmegin posted:

I mean, a lot longer than that. There was no independent Ukraine in the 19th century.
Or like ever before then unless you maybe count the Cossacks for a bit.

So, how do you suppose they ended up with their own language and cultural identity?

Why do you think this matters, anyways? Awful lot of places were independent or changed hands constantly right up until they didn't anymore - and they generally ended up a lot better off when the foreign power hosed off.

Edit: Votes were actually held concerning independence or joining Russia in the decades prior to the invasion. There was never a majority in favor of either, even in Crimea. It's loving crazy that you look at a blatant military invasion followed by ethnic cleansing & military occupation and imply the locals totally wanted to be annexed.

Also, there were token locals in both Crimea and Donbass - but there were also a shitload of Russian "volunteers", state-run mercenaries, regular troops, and the entire "rebel" leadership was/still is loving Russian nationals and intelligence officers on vacation.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 27, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
For Crimea's population being over 90% Russian, Vlad can thank the USSR and its policy of deporting non-Russian ethnic groups (such as the Tatars in this case) to some other backwater place so as to put Russians instead. That's also why there are large "non-citizen" populations in the Baltic states.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kemper Boyd posted:

Of all energy imports, natural gas is only 20% of the total imports. The importance of natural gas tends to get overplayed a lot, especially since the Russian slice of the total imports has been decreasing since the Georgian war. It could be argued that the export of natural gas is far more important to Russia than it is for the EU countries to buy it from Russia.

OK, but take a country that’s mighty important in the EU, Germany. 40% of both its gas and oil come from Russia. That does not make Germany some puppet state, as is lately in vogue to say by certain Americans these days. But it surely is significant.

And when natural gas consumption is mostly winter heat production for civilians, that makes it a very high profile part of the energy sector, even if not the largest portion of the energy sector.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

OK, but take a country that’s mighty important in the EU, Germany. 40% of both its gas and oil come from Russia. That does not make Germany some puppet state, as is lately in vogue to say by certain Americans these days. But it surely is significant.

And when natural gas consumption is mostly winter heat production for civilians, that makes it a very high profile part of the energy sector, even if not the largest portion of the energy sector.

Trump would be happy to ship them coal.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Good thing my family in Germany just loaded up three houses with fuel oil!
You realize how important natural gas in W. Europe is when you don't have an alternative. Three families spending a minimum of 2000USD, each, just to get a truck out to the village. These are not people with money. Ironically, the Russia Germans who have moved there are the folks least able to afford the cost. (we help out)

At least it isn't as cold as it used to be in that area. Thanks, global warming! I do worry about tornadoes though, 100mph roof tiles and all.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Throatwarbler posted:

Tunguska malfunctions in the worst/most hilarious way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5djvOTzRZ0

EDIT: Or possibly the gunner's hand just slipped.

That escalated quickly.

*blyat*

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Don Gato posted:

A lot of JMSDF ships share names with Imperial Japanese Navy ships since they are named after the same concepts or geographic features. There's also an Akagi, Kongo, Chokai, and Kirishima among others.

Yep. The WWII ships which made those names famous were sometimes the second or third to hold them.

OTOH the Royal Navy has gone through seven Warspites and is working on its tenth Dreadnought so the JMSDF has some catching up to do.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Kemper Boyd posted:

That is all for the better. And lets keep the trend moving.

But gas is good for heating and also for covering high peaks. Turbines can start quickly and add to the grid when needed.

Or at least thats what the energy generation thread teaches me.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

InAndOutBrennan posted:

That is all for the better. And lets keep the trend moving.

But gas is good for heating and also for covering high peaks. Turbines can start quickly and add to the grid when needed.

Or at least thats what the energy generation thread teaches me.

I have a friend that works for a company that has a plant that's primarily in charge of taking care of those peaks. They have a modified GE Turbine Engine (the kind you see on airliners) that they can spool up in minutes. I believe that it's modified to run on natural gas. (I'm going to ask him some more detailed questions next time I see him).

Edit: Same guy I was talking about in the China thread whose company just got bought out by a CCP owned company, and now there are a ton of mainlanders ransacking the company for info and learning all they can to make their industry more competitive. I'm not worried about the Chinese military in the least, I'm worried that we will have sold everything to China before we find out that their economy is a rotten shell, and that we only needed to hold off giving them the keys to the house for a few more years.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Murgos posted:

Trump would be happy to ship them coal.

Germany is already strip-mining itself for coal, there's a reason they have (and make) the largest bucket-wheel excavators in the world.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Cat Mattress posted:

Germany is already strip-mining itself for coal, there's a reason they have (and make) the largest bucket-wheel excavators in the world.

Still there's actually a lot of excess production and (I think?) port capacity in the US for coal exports. Either way I don't think Russia's current accounts situation enables them to just shut off the gas without massive hyperinflation.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 27, 2018

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Cat Mattress posted:

Didn't Merkel pretty much kill their entire nuclear industry after the Fukushima disaster because people were protesting? She said something like "every plant will be shut down by 2020" or something like that. Last I looked, ~1/2 of their power is imported from other countries, but the remainder is divided like so.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Also to defend against godzillas and robots from the future
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azEvfD4C6ow

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
If there’s one thing that bothers me about modern energy is the stigma against nuclear because most of the general public doesn’t understand even basic concepts related to it.

I have routinely had people surprised that nuclear plants can not explode like a nuclear bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Blistex posted:

I have a friend that works for a company that has a plant that's primarily in charge of taking care of those peaks. They have a modified GE Turbine Engine (the kind you see on airliners) that they can spool up in minutes. I believe that it's modified to run on natural gas. (I'm going to ask him some more detailed questions next time I see him).

Both GE and P&W have long histories of marine/power generation adaptations of almost all of their respective aviation turbojets and turbofans.

The USNs non-nuclear ships almost all use LM2500 and variants for propulsion.