Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

hambeet posted:

Gonna start following NSW politics more in the lead up to the state election.

So not paying to rebuild the stadiums is popular? I would have thought anything related to sports ball would be a winner?

One of the stadiums is the Olympic stadium at Homebush which isn't even 20 years old and is a facility that easily handles 85,000 people. It doesn't make any sense on any level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

im alan jones posted:

its more that theyre spending a ton of money on stadiums instead of schools, hospitals, & public transport
They have spent a bunch of money on public transport. There are some lovely decisions involved and that doesn't get into Westconnex at all but a few years ago they were clearly hoping to campaign for re-election on the back of the new metro and light rail lines.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
How hard would it be to make the argument that if you care about women and equality then (policies that benefit women) > (I, personally, am a woman)?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/GreenJ/status/1067161541332557825

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Is this part of the Greens sex war

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

So the liberal member for corangamite was just on Faine. Her brutal, planned argument was "if the ALP are all for women why are they trying to defeat me" while Faine laughs at her and tries to inform her that her opponent is a woman.

Sarah Henderson used to be a good ABC reporter. I don't know what happened to turn her into bizarro Liberal MP.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

All for it if it means we are going to see more cool "ScoMo talks to the camera" videos.

What I expect is that we will see the Libs try to run a Shorten bashing campaign while Labor follows the Vic lead in going positive.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Senor Tron posted:

All for it if it means we are going to see more cool "ScoMo talks to the camera" videos.

What I expect is that we will see the Libs try to run a Shorten bashing campaign while Labor follows the Vic lead in going positive.

The Vic campaign was good because it was extremely positive and they framed their knives as jokes as well.

Also I just remembered I owe everyone lobster scratchies and forgot to send them oops!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

flank to the rear and then reach around

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The whole election will be

SM: Gday scomo here on the socials billabong true blue

BS: I'm gunna build a road

SM: Shorten's a bad man, he was in a union!

BS: I'm gunna build a plane

SM: Bill Shorten wants your family at risk of blacks

BS: I'm gunna build a ship

ad infinitum

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You Am I posted:

Sarah Henderson used to be a good ABC reporter. I don't know what happened to turn her into bizarro Liberal MP.

An MPs salary?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Is it getting a bit hot in this thread or is it just me.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

The Vic campaign was good because it was extremely positive and they framed their knives as jokes as well.

Also I just remembered I owe everyone lobster scratchies and forgot to send them oops!

The first of many broken election promises from labor

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Is it getting a bit hot in this thread or is it just me.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/4e/42/00030480.0004.gif

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

The first of many broken election promises from labor

I'm gunna do it I swear!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I got a non goon to hook me up for scratches because I'm clever

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

I'm gunna do it I swear!

SHAME

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Unsurprisingly secure document destruction one of the many services that have been outsourced in the last twenty years. The going rate is $79.00 per wheelie bin. Some departments produce over 100 bins worth every day.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
To be fair, its normally easier to ditch things in the secure bin than work out if they actually need shredding.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

hambeet posted:

Oh hey Malcolm Turnbull and Christian Porter were working on a federal icac proposal before Mal was turfed and its been buried.

Cool timing on that spill.

Labor ad: Why was a popular prime minister knifed? Because he was about to set up an ICAC. What scandals are the only hiding?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Paul_Karp/status/1067189524973801472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

They're cavemen Pauline.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

You Am I posted:

She got a law degree and became a lawyer for News Corporation, and wrote a column for them in the Hun

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Politics is very weird today. There’s Pauline defending an indigenous population (I’m sure she didn’t even notice the irony) and also this from Katter.

quote:

Meanwhile, Bob Katter, who is now a very important vote for the government, is sort of on board, sort of not, with the national integrity commission, because: Queensland.

He said in a statement:

I was one of the two Ministers in Queensland who made the decision to bring on the Fitzgerald inquiry, which changed the politics of Queensland.

There were 54 murders or murder-suicides that had taken place in Queensland, and it turned out that they were attributable to one small group of policemen who became known as ‘the joke’.

If we’d had the Criminal Justice Commission, as we call it in Queensland, seven or more years before, would we have stopped all of those murders?

When the Criminal Justice Commission came into existence, it became a sort of ‘Star Chamber’/‘Spanish Inquisition’. Dozens, maybe a hundred, totally innocent people were hung, drawn and quartered without any real chance of defending themselves. In many of the cases, they were the courageous heroes that had been fighting corruption.

One example was the then Premier of Queensland (Joh Bjelke-Petersen) – he was a man of honesty and decency, but there was a person in there that just hated him – and then the newspaper headlines become ‘Minister under attack; referred to the Criminal Justice Commission’, from then on your name is besmirched.

The National Integrity Commission Bill is a two-edged sword and I, of all people, found myself agonising over the vote, because I know how many innocents were sacrificed on the altar of public opinion in Queensland.

Won’t someone think of the poor innocent politicians.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Ah yes, Joh, the real victim of institutionalised corruption in Queensland

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

quote:

One example was the then Premier of Queensland (Joh Bjelke-Petersen) – he was a man of honesty and decency
Jesus Christ, that's the last thing you'd associate with Joh.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Bahahahahahah I’m glad the lesson Scummo has taken from the multiple byelection disasters, the Victorian annihilation and the continued dismal polls for the liberals isn’t “the electorate hates our policies and what the party has come to stand for, we need to radically overhaul it”.

Instead it’s “Murdoch keeps telling me I’m more popular than Shorten in a single poll question and that this is hugely important... time to base my whole strategy around that because fair dinkum the voters love me”.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Katter is just fishing for money for his electorate or whatever concessions he can get out of the big two that will ensure his re-election chances

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

monkeu posted:

Bahahahahahah I’m glad the lesson Scummo has taken from the multiple byelection disasters, the Victorian annihilation and the continued dismal polls for the liberals isn’t “the electorate hates our policies and what the party has come to stand for, we need to radically overhaul it”.

Instead it’s “Murdoch keeps telling me I’m more popular than Shorten in a single poll question and that this is hugely important... time to base my whole strategy around that because fair dinkum the voters love me”.

Ignoring the fact that if they loved him his netsat would be +30 or more. His ppm is barely over 40, that means more than half the electorate want "anyone but the current guy"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

norp posted:

Ignoring the fact that if they loved him his netsat would be +30 or more. His ppm is barely over 40, that means more than half the electorate want "anyone but the current guy"

Yeah the opposition leader's numbers are completely meaningless.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

I’m a Greens member (for now) but not deeply involved, partly because I live overseas. What are the ‘right factions’ within the Greens; their policies and personality? Are we talking about ‘tree tories’ or a different variety of tumour?

tree tories, as opposed to watermelons and mungbeans.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

monkeu posted:

It's time to start up the spill rumours.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

thatbastardken posted:

Which are the mung beans?

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

thatbastardken posted:

There's no social justice on a dead planet says greens MP who refuses to campaign or talk about social justice issues entirely

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

They're cavemen Pauline.

Pre-industrial people. Don't be like Pauline.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Politics is very weird today. There’s Pauline defending an indigenous population (I’m sure she didn’t even notice the irony) and also this from Katter.

Won’t someone think of the poor innocent politicians.

JFC Sir Joh the innocent and honest? Who the hell wrote that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starshark posted:

Pre-industrial people. Don't be like Pauline.

I don't think we need to be tit-tatting about the nomenclature of some ancient warriors given well-deserved free reign to slay intruders.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/nov/26/dutton-au-pair-raids-may-have-been-in-contempt-of-parliament-report

Yesterday a Senate committee said the AFP aren't allowed to look at some of the emails they took in a raid on the Department of Home Affairs while trying to find who told the media about Dutton's au pairs, because they didn't properly consider if the emails would be under parliamentary privilege

quote:

Despite evidence from the AFP that guidelines for treating potentially privileged material were followed, the committee expressed “concern as to how well the stated purposes … were met”.
The committee stated that the documents “not only identified a senator but a Senate committee and a specific inquiry” and yet the AFP commissioner, Andrew Colvin, “confidently asserted” in Senate estimates that the police did not believe the circumstances automatically gave rise to a claim of privilege.
In evidence on 22 October, Colvin also argued that parliamentary privilege would inform “every step of [the] investigation”.
“However, the senator named in the warrant was not advised that the warrant would be executed and was told after the fact and after another senator had made a claim of privilege,” the report said.
“If the ABF officer had not called Senator Pratt it is difficult to see how a claim of privilege could have been made until after the contents of the seized material had been examined by the AFP.”
The committee said that, on the evidence before it, it was “difficult to assess” how the guidelines had worked to “ensure there was no improper interference with the functioning of parliament and its members” by providing a proper opportunity to raise claims of privilege.
The committee noted that in the case of the police raid to investigate leaks relating to the national broadband network, it did not find police in contempt of parliament because it accepted officers were working “in good faith and for a proper purpose”.
“Given the circumstances of the execution of the warrants on 11 October, the committee questions whether the same circumstances apply,” it said.

Sounds like the police were a little eager

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
ScoMo should call out Shorten for calling it Mario Karts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Gridlocked posted:

JFC Sir Joh the innocent and honest? Who the hell wrote that.

Bob Katter.