Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, I sorta get the red forest. You have a long hallway. You put up trees. Oh, you have to be different and can't just have a tree that looks like a tree because you're so special.

But like... where the gently caress did the pencil wreath come from?
Poor children's school supplies budget courtesy of Betsy DeVos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

I’m unsure if the strictly simplistic color scheme is communicating partisanship or the anticipation of forthcoming blood soaked trees of their economic and political enemies. It’s definitely not Christmas.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Eric Trump made it in his special needs class.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, I sorta get the red forest. You have a long hallway. You put up trees. Oh, you have to be different and can't just have a tree that looks like a tree because you're so special.

I half expect to hear some bullshit story that Baron made it in art class. Like there was some crystal soccer ball ornament in one of those shots and I was thinking "Oh, that's the Trump idea of a kid's ornament, right?"

"Be Best" didn't exactly go over like gangbusters, so they had a lot of merch sitting around. :shrug:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1067123958170800129

Another poll had it +10. This...might actually be winnable tomorrow.

Not easily winnable but if the race is somewhere between 10 and 5 right now I can see a path to victory where Republicans are bummed and stay home and Dems are energized.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Push El Burrito posted:

This is exactly what I thought when Ford announced it was cutting its smaller cars. Can't wait to bail out car companies again.

They should definitely keep building cars that no one is buying, that will certainly never lead to them needing a bailout!

luxury handset posted:

melania's new 2018 creepy white house christmas decorations do not disappoint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM4T4dDOtng

The conical tree reminds me of an article I saw yesterday:

quote:

A town has unveiled an "amazing" new Christmas tree after last year's fake one was dubbed "the worst in Britain".

The ridiculed tree in Camborne, west Cornwall, did not even make it to the big day as it had to be removed when its star was stolen and wires exposed.

Earlier, hundreds watched the switch on of a "beautiful" 25ft traditional spruce.

Last year's cone-shaped tree, damaged at least 10 times, was described as "absolutely rubbish".

The tree in question?

Caption: Blue Christmas - Michelle Dawson was unimpressed with the fake 2017 tree

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-46334515

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1067155292645920778

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CmdrRiker posted:

I’m unsure if the strictly simplistic color scheme is communicating partisanship or the anticipation of forthcoming blood soaked trees of their economic and political enemies. It’s definitely not Christmas.

It reminds me of a fashion or magazine photography set to be honest. Something that will look generically Christmas-y when out of focus in the background of a photo and which won't have enough complicated color to clash with and draw the attention from whatever is being photographed. I can easily envision those rooms as the setting for "attractive woman gasps at jewelry box hanging on tree as man leans back in his chair with his steaming beverage and a knowing smirk".

Which might be the goal - there are a lot of photos taken of people talking with each other in the White House so stuff should be kept photograph friendly.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

It reminds me of a fashion or magazine photography set to be honest. Something that will look generically Christmas-y when out of focus in the background of a photo and which won't have enough complicated color to clash with and draw the attention from whatever is being photographed. I can easily envision those rooms as the setting for "attractive woman gasps at jewelry box hanging on tree as man leans back in his chair with his steaming beverage and a knowing smirk".

Which might be the goal - there are a lot of photos taken of people talking with each other in the White House so stuff should be kept photograph friendly.

this is totally what it is, melania comes from the fashion world and thats why the decorations work as decor but not as what you would expect as a celebration of a holiday. melania knows how to create a setpiece for photoshoots but not how to decorate a house that someone actually lives in. it underlines the theatrical falseness of the white house

the identical christmas trees spaced ten feet apart marching down a hallway remind me of some kind of christmas clearance store, not how you would expect a tasteful mansion to be decorated

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

axeil posted:

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1067123958170800129

Another poll had it +10. This...might actually be winnable tomorrow.

Not easily winnable but if the race is somewhere between 10 and 5 right now I can see a path to victory where Republicans are bummed and stay home and Dems are energized.

I think that polling firm does internal work for Democrats, so it may not be gospel truth--but boy I wish there were a few more weeks before this race. Espy could have won it with more time.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

They should definitely keep building cars that no one is buying, that will certainly never lead to them needing a bailout!

Short term thinking to appease the shareholders always works out in the end. Weirdly Honda and Toyota have no problems selling their small cars in the US.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Push El Burrito posted:

Short term thinking to appease the shareholders always works out in the end. Weirdly Honda and Toyota have no problems selling their small cars in the US.

Tbh the extent that asian car manufacturers have completely and totally taken over the compact market has got to be the main thing loving the margins on the market for domestic manufacturers. Frankly Honda/Toyota etc. could be charging more and people would still line up to buy them. The resale market for imports workhorse compacts is completely insane: 10 year old cars with 100k on them are selling for half of their sale price, which is unprecedented as far as cars holding value goes.

Yeah domestic compacts are a thing, but they don't really compete with imports on any meaningful level. Related, when the tariffs first were announced manufacturers acknowledged that prices would stay the same and that they would mostly eat the cost themselves to keep their place in the market. Chevy cutting these lines of cars seems in line with that as they preserve the more profitable lines and cancel the low margin ones.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 26, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Tbh the extent that asian car manufacturers have completely and totally taken over the compact market has got to be the main thing loving the margins on the market for domestic manufacturers. Frankly Honda/Toyota etc. could be charging more and people would still line up to buy them. The resale market for imports workhorse compacts is completely insane: 10 year old cars with 100k on them are selling for half of their sale price, which is unprecedented as far as cars holding value goes.

Yeah domestic compacts are a thing, but they don't really compete with imports on any meaningful level. Related, when the tariffs first were announced manufacturers acknowledged that prices would stay the same and that they would mostly eat the cost themselves to keep their place in the market. Chevy cutting these lines of cars seems in line with that as they preserve the more profitable lines and cancel the low margin ones.

Also, aren't most of those import cars still built in the US, just states with laws that prevent unions from being formed?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Toyota and Honda’s crossovers outsell their compacts too. It’s not a unique thing to GM or Ford.

But unlike Honda and Toyota, not a single sedan produced by the domestic manufacturers has the reputation of the Accord or the Camry. And they probably never would have.

The Glumslinger posted:

Also, aren't most of those import cars still built in the US, just states with laws that prevent unions from being formed?

Maybe some. But not all. I think the Honda Accord is built in Ohio. The UAW tried to get a foothold in that factory back in the 80’s but never succeeded.

But I would say that Honda and Toyota having non-union labor is at least part of their success.

edit: Camry not Corolla

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 26, 2018

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/NewYorkStateAG/status/1067185855020830721?s=19

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Aren't a bunch of Mueller filings expected today? Or do I have the date wrong? Seems a bit late for a filing considering its already past 6 on the East Coast

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

luxury handset posted:

melania's new 2018 creepy white house christmas decorations do not disappoint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM4T4dDOtng

I won't punish you or anything for this, but going forward:

lovely bullshit like this, making fun of whatever bad suit Trump wore today, etc., is not really news and doesn't belong here.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

Aren't a bunch of Mueller filings expected today? Or do I have the date wrong? Seems a bit late for a filing considering its already past 6 on the East Coast

x-posting because i just had this thought as well. yes, and they have until midnight

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/johnson_carrie/status/1067180285685510144

i'd forgot about this - today was the day they extended a status report to, saying they'd be able to tell the court more details on the 26th in a filing that caused a ton of speculation

i don't remember if there's something in the Gates case too, but it's this line in Manafort's that prompted all the curiousity

quote:

The parties believe a brief extension of the status report date, until November 26, 2018, will allow them to provide the Court with a report that will be of greater assistance in the Court’s management of this matter.

and as a separate "Trump legal problems" story, this level of loving base desperation really is extraordinary:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1067203942994640903

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

OH

https://twitter.com/rachelweinerwp/status/1067204182199988224

quote:

3. After signing the plea agreement, Manafort committed federal crimes by lying to
the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Special Counsel’s Office on a variety of subject
matters, which constitute breaches of the agreement. The government will file a detailed
sentencing submission to the Probation Department and the Court in advance of sentencing that
sets forth the nature of the defendant’s crimes and lies, including those after signing the plea
agreement herein.

4. As the defendant has breached the plea agreement, there is no reason to delay his
sentencing herein

basically manafort has forfeited all of the sentencing reduction promises the government made him. also, they absolutely could charge him with more crimes.

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 27, 2018

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

edit: wrong thread sorry!

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eke out posted:

OH

basically manafort has forfeited all of the sentencing reduction promises the government made him. also, they absolutely could charge him with more crimes.

Is he as hosed as it sounds like he is to a non-legal person? I'd think breaking a plea would be a life-limiting mistake, but I never can tell if that is just layperson common sense or actual reality.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

rkajdi posted:

Is he as hosed as it sounds like he is to a non-legal person? I'd think breaking a plea would be a life-limiting mistake, but I never can tell if that is just layperson common sense or actual reality.

as a 70 year old guy, there was already a good chance even with cooperation he'd still get, conservatively, the 7-8 years in prison that might lead him to die there.

with that agreement breached, he's definitely at a "die in jail for sure" sentence. the calculation is really complicated but suffice to say, it'd likely be multiple decades

that's assuming they don't decide to try him for this new set of lies, of course, which would basically just be spiteful

eke out fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 27, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eke out posted:

OH

i may die laughing but i can't die until i read that report detailing all his lies

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

rkajdi posted:

the sole way he doesn't die in jail is if the report on his lies details a fervent effort to lie to protect trump enough that trump gives him a pardon

that would, however, require trump to do something to reward loyalty from someone with no ability to be useful to him in the future, which is usually a category of people trump tells to get hosed

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

OH

Every now and then I have to silently be thankful for the fact that the assholes who are doing their best to ruin our country are for the most part incompatant to a hilarious degree.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

evilweasel posted:

the sole way he doesn't die in jail is if the report on his lies details a fervent effort to lie to protect trump enough that trump gives him a pardon

that would, however, require trump to do something to reward loyalty from someone with no ability to be useful to him in the future, which is usually a category of people trump tells to get hosed

You'd know better than me, but the way I'm reading it, it also reads like Mueller is basically saying "I don't need you or your lying rear end to get my job done anymore, good luck at sentencing."

Which would mean Manafort is turbofucked on a number of levels, even if a pardon magically floats down from Trump. I'd imagine he's still hosed on a number of state level charges coming his way.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

You'd know better than me, but the way I'm reading it, it also reads like Mueller is basically saying "I don't need you or your lying rear end to get my job done anymore, good luck at sentencing."

Which would mean Manafort is turbofucked on a number of levels, even if a pardon magically floats down from Trump. I'd imagine he's still hosed on a number of state level charges coming his way.

Plot Twist: Manafort hasn't lied at all. His version just contradicts The President's. So, either Manafort publically implicates the president in lying under oath or he backs up Trump's version of events and goes to jail for life.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Handsome Ralph posted:

It definitely means Mueller had a lot more info than Manafort thought, yeah.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

it's going to be absolutely fascinating to see what Manafort thought he could safely lie about

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

evilweasel posted:

Is it possible Mueller has a cooperating witness that no one is aware of at this point?

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Handsome Ralph posted:

Is it possible Mueller has a cooperating witness that no one is aware of at this point?

John Barron strikes again!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Z. Autobahn posted:

John Barron strikes again!

Melanie strikes when least expected.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Handsome Ralph posted:

You mean... besides Gate and Flynn?

Like, if I was involved in any international funny business for Trump while Flynn wasn't under arrest, I would be fleeing the country. The Trump Presidential Campaign didn't really seem to maintain opsec, if ya know what I mean. I honestly expect the nail in the coffin to be some random email detailing their crimes with the entire Trump family CC'd for no real reason..

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Handsome Ralph posted:

Comedy answer: Barron and/or Melania Trump.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Don Jr has been working with Mueller the whole time

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Don Jr has been working with Mueller the whole time

I think the height of comedy options would be Assange. The most poetic would be one of his kids.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Handsome Ralph posted:

my gut feeling is if you're mueller you don't blow up a plea deal like this without unimpeachable documentary evidence, not just a more honest witness saying he lied

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think the height of comedy options would be Assange. The most poetic would be one of his kids.

It's Assange's pet cat he's been neglecting like a monster.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I do like the idea of all of Trump's kids turning on their monster of a father individually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Hunt11 posted:

I do like the idea of all of Trump's kids turning on their monster of a father individually.

Especially if they all don’t know the others are doing so as well, just a bunch of crab bucket assholes throwing themselves at Mueller