Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Coolguye posted:

let's be real it's not like anyone was waiting around that hard for GTFO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-2-7DxldBQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Is there any chance gtfo releases console? Game looks good

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Is anyone else dealing with the fact that players always seem to come it right at the end of heists recently?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

swims posted:

pretty sure they've said that while they arent ruling it out, its first and foremost a PC game (also the team is literally 9 people so)

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

swims posted:

After pdth, payday 2, and raid, think real fuckin' hard if you want this on console.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

HebrewMagic posted:

After pdth, payday 2, and raid, think real fuckin' hard if you want this on console.
What was wrong with PDTH on console?

Ten Chambers isn't a Starbreeze subsidiary so maybe they'd make more of an effort if they moved to release it on console?

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
I'm unironically ok with pd2 console.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so how do you unlock the PDTH secret masks in Payday 2? Everywhere I look all I see are people bickering about what they think the unlock conditions are.

additionally: lol gently caress doing overdrill with pubbies

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

so how do you unlock the PDTH secret masks in Payday 2? Everywhere I look all I see are people bickering about what they think the unlock conditions are.

additionally: lol gently caress doing overdrill with pubbies

have overdrill in pd1, have your profile and achievements set to public

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'm trying to wrap my head around a world where, in trying to prove that stealth could be better, MGSV is used as the example. That game was garbage for stealth gameplay, because the AI is full on dumb-as-bricks about it. Like, I dunno, if your metric of 'good stealth' game is Assassin's Creed or whatever, I'm sure it was mindblowing, but seriously.

The problem of course being, it's actually quite hard to get the level of intelligence for good feeling stealth mechanics right, whilst the mechanics for Proceed towards player, shoot if you can see them, occasionally do other subroutine to appear smarter than Doom Marine' is still difficult to make believable, but much, much simpler.

E: Also, the more internally coherent (as opposed to this post) you make your Stealth, the more binary the game can become, because the classic 'I will now forget that guy ever died and resume my patrol pattern' is inherently going to create binary gameplay of 'spotted = loud'.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 12, 2018

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The game that did stealth best was obviously Thief, but it is also a game where other options get you killed. If you took Garrett and gave him an uzi I'm not sure the games would be the same.

What made stealth fun in Thief was that it required patience, map knowledge, and timing but also rewarded clever use of tools, exploration, and you could recover from a bad run if you thought on your feet. Even if Payday gives you the tools to do stealth, I'm not sure it will ever work as a 'stealth game' so long as the option to not do stealth is right there and much more enjoyable.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mendrian posted:

The game that did stealth best was obviously Thief, but it is also a game where other options get you killed. If you took Garrett and gave him an uzi I'm not sure the games would be the same.

What made stealth fun in Thief was that it required patience, map knowledge, and timing but also rewarded clever use of tools, exploration, and you could recover from a bad run if you thought on your feet. Even if Payday gives you the tools to do stealth, I'm not sure it will ever work as a 'stealth game' so long as the option to not do stealth is right there and much more enjoyable.

I think the thing is also as I mentioned before, the focus of the "stealth" in Payday originally is much different from where it ended up. Like it wasn't so much about being "sneaky" as it was about just like, not alerting the cops. The systems were set up to support that style of gameplay, and then awkwardly retrofitted to support more traditional Thief-like gameplay as they shifted focus. One of the most noticeable aspects is how in basically any Thief-like game, you usually have ways to distract/manipulate guards to sneak by them or get them away from a specific thing you're trying to reach, but Payday doesn't have anything like that, because you were originally just supposed to rush them down and throwing rocks or whatever to distract them wouldn't really have had much of a point.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Guess I'll work on trophies now :shrug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What on earth happened to this game. I only played it for the first month or so, and I heard the big secret ARG that was in got solved and it turns out there's aliens and stuff?! :psyduck:

Also like 30 characters?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Cuntellectual posted:

What on earth happened to this game. I only played it for the first month or so, and I heard the big secret ARG that was in got solved and it turns out there's aliens and stuff?! :psyduck:

Also like 30 characters?

The game turned out to be wildly popular, a ton of DLC was released and expanded the scope far beyond original plans and yeah. This is where we wound up, for better or worse.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
For the record, it appears the ancient aliens poo poo was always planned- it's just almost everything else, all the filler middle stuff, and most of the postlaunch characters, that is new.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Discendo Vox posted:

For the record, it appears the ancient aliens poo poo was always planned- it's just almost everything else, all the filler middle stuff, and most of the postlaunch characters, that is new.

you're telling me we could have actually seen the aliens and not just have giancarlo despacito talking at us?

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

spit on my clit posted:

you're telling me we could have actually seen the aliens and not just have giancarlo despacito talking at us?

space cloakers

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
look what i found

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer
So me and two buddies who have spent over a thousand hours heisting have decided to catch up with achievements and maybe take a crack on the WH secret. I've gathered some questions.

- Does anyone know if we need a full four-man team with the proper achievements, or it's just all *human* players that have to have them?
- What's up with Overdrill in this regard? Do we need to train up a fourth friend?
- Can I maybe join somebody who has the Virus achievement so that I can spread it around here?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Jim DiGriz posted:

So me and two buddies who have spent over a thousand hours heisting have decided to catch up with achievements and maybe take a crack on the WH secret. I've gathered some questions.

- Does anyone know if we need a full four-man team with the proper achievements, or it's just all *human* players that have to have them?
- What's up with Overdrill in this regard? Do we need to train up a fourth friend?
- Can I maybe join somebody who has the Virus achievement so that I can spread it around here?

Get on the discord and there's folks who'll help your group even if the other two are non-goons. Failing that add me on steam and I'll help you. https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198011354440/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Jim DiGriz posted:

Following some recent updates, you will need four players for both. I and just about all the discord goons have the Virus achievement and are happy to help.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Following some recent updates, you will need four players for both. I and just about all the discord goons have the Virus achievement and are happy to help.

And so they did, thanks for that. We'll work on the ones we can for a while now, but I'll probably appear again for some more help, if anyone is still playing this ancient game by then :).

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So, I'm likely not going to update the OP anymore (shocker), and there's been a lot added since I stopped. If anyone wants to make a more up-to-date one for the final stretch of PD2, go for it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It still feels really weird, we either get the ultra sad left open to a potential sequel ending, or the megahappy no more payday yet still teasing payday 3 ending. It feels like such a red herring, an expensive to make red herring at that, to just close it off like that. When Payday 3 happens, I feel the only way it could start is by immediately opening with some Nephalim poo poo goin on

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

spit on my clit posted:

It still feels really weird, we either get the ultra sad left open to a potential sequel ending, or the megahappy no more payday yet still teasing payday 3 ending. It feels like such a red herring, an expensive to make red herring at that, to just close it off like that. When Payday 3 happens, I feel the only way it could start is by immediately opening with some Nephalim poo poo goin on

Make the non-secret ending the official canon one, Bain is actually dead, but the first heist of Payday 3 is breaking into hell to get him out.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Make the non-secret ending the official canon one, Bain is actually dead, but the first heist of Payday 3 is breaking into hell to get him out.

the DOOM crossover, finally. they better refer to doomguy as doomguy, not "doom slayer"

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Payday 3's obviously gonna be set in the Great Depression and entirely about Road Bandits and Moonshiners. :colbert:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

If you think I don't have a multipage design doc describing the plot of voxday 3, well, I don't know what you're thinking.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Payday 3 opens with a single overworked man taking a handgun, a duffle bag, and a ski mask one fateful day to the bank

He gets the teller to quietly open the doors and walk him to the cash before stopping abruptly at the vault. The teller asks if he's alright, hoping he's had a change of heart. He swears he's fine, but in the back of his head, there's a voice he's never heard, screaming - "guys, the thermal drill, go get it"

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

HebrewMagic posted:

Payday 3 opens with a single overworked man taking a handgun, a duffle bag, and a ski mask one fateful day to the bank

He gets the teller to quietly open the doors and walk him to the cash before stopping abruptly at the vault. The teller asks if he's alright, hoping he's had a change of heart. He swears he's fine, but in the back of his head, there's a voice he's never heard, screaming - "guys, the thermal drill, go get it"

Just a random everyday nobody guy having a bad day.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

They kind of created a problem by having so much content in Payday 2. Like, it's gonna feel so off to have Payday 3 start with like four characters, a dozen guns, a handful of heists, and have to pick up from a really convoluted story patched together over like five years. You'd almost have to sit on it for a few years to make everyone miss the game enough.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
fortunately they currently have the walking dude, a co op game that is currently fairly sparse on content and takes forever to progress on. it’s like the old days all over again. here’s to seven years of the walking dude, culminating in the kill zombie hitler mission!!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Walking Dead feels pretty fun really, but that price point's a killer.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is a terrible suggestion.

It would be better if melee'ing a guard doesnt activate their pager but shooting them does. Also shooting someone should cause blood spatter? Blood spatter that would be noticeable by other guards. You can get more than 4 pagers but the more you trigger the higher the chance there will be a new set of patrols that go out or something.

I agree that there should be something better than the binary "You are currently in stealth" and "you done hosed up and are now out of stealth".

It should only burn a pager if they're in "investigate/report" mode. If you whack a guard while they're unaware then it's a freebie. If they spot your test pattern medusa mask as it slips back behind a crate and you kill them when they come looking for you then you have to answer the pager as to why they radioed in that they were checking something out but never called back with an update.

This combined with a metal gear style alert-search-patrol-all clear cycle where you can basically hide and go back to being quiet would probably square the circle on stealth difficulty versus challenge.

I also hope you can just use bodybags as a way to avoid blood stains/trails. Kill someone with a gun or a knife and you have to bag them or else moving the body leaves a big fuckin blood trail. Using a club avoids that but also requires that you get close and hit them in the head.

I sort of wish I kept playing once they got rid of viable fat guy shotgun builds. For whatever reason dodge gameplay was just never enjoyable for me and when they broke shotguns it just wasn't fun anymore :(

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Shotguns have been good again for like 2 years.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

UnknownMercenary posted:

Shotguns have been good again for like 2 years.

Yeah well

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I started using Anarchist almost exclusively because it gave fatty survivability with high mobility and based it around doing damage to stay alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Shotguns and LMGs are *the* current meta weapons. Dodge and fatsuits are both viable.

If you just wanna kick rear end and don't wanna hear a lotta :spergin: about stats and poo poo, just find a machinegun or autoshotgun you like and go to it. Bring a grenade launcher as your other gun. The machineguns don't play nicely with dodging but otherwise the field's open on armor/dodge strats. Personally I mostly just wear HBV so I have the footspeed of a dodge player with decidedly more durability. Sure, I can't tank poo poo like a proper fatsuit user but I can also run the gently caress away if I find myself taking too much punishment.