Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

It's possible to deplete his health before you max the ratings, but it's debatable whether he DIE-dies. Alphys just says she can repair him and then nervously sees you off.

Killing all the bosses including Mettaton and absolutely nobody else (including Muffet, who isn't technically a boss) is the only way to get the best ending!!!

Isn't the "I can repair him" only if you defeat him non-lethally, and if you kill him she says she can just build a new one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The death (?) of Mettaton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDaC1SNcpwE

Yeah, that's the vibe I was getting too.

That bot is dead, goodnight sweet robo prince.

Huh, neat. I fought him during a recent neutral run but wound up triggering the Spare condition for the fight anyway. Speaking of which, I kind of like the ending you get if you kill everyone except Papyrus and Mettaton (Mettaton takes over the Underground and forces everyone to satisfy his ego).

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Everdraed posted:

Haha thanks, it always makes me happy to hear I've somehow inspired peepz to do creative stuff!! I've definitely noticed your works in this thread, they're great edits especially in the spriting department!

I've actually been busy as heck doin' stuff for Fangamer for a good while now, so haven't had the free time to make strange edits for DELTARUNE sadly heh. I'm really glad a number of folks jumped on the 'suzie's nostrils are eyes and she's a weird worm' concept though, that was one of my favorite gags I joked about pre-launch and was gonna be super sad if people didn't go for it.

you should toby to hire me to program his game

hahaha just kidding (unless he would)

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, to bring back the conversation to music, Galactic Hole put out a new mashup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuiDQ9oBtDA

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Isn't the "I can repair him" only if you defeat him non-lethally, and if you kill him she says she can just build a new one?

yes, she “disappears” (kills herself) out of grief and guilt immediately after you leave for New Home if Mettaton is dispatched violently

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Larryb posted:

Huh, neat. I fought him during a recent neutral run but wound up triggering the Spare condition for the fight anyway. Speaking of which, I kind of like the ending you get if you kill everyone except Papyrus and Mettaton (Mettaton takes over the Underground and forces everyone to satisfy his ego).

Same, it's great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51uojGcJecA

Probably the darkest ending you can get without killing everyone.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

Greetings.

I am Hillary.

"Hillary."

The demon that comes when people call its name.

It doesn't matter when.

It doesn't matter where.

Every four years, I will appear.

And with your help...

I CAN STILL WIN!
goldmine

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Tetracube posted:

you should toby to hire me to program his game

hahaha just kidding (unless he would)

Toby's definitely gonna be contacting folks he's interested in himself, his info post was mostly to give people interested in more a heads up about the timeline for further development but not actually an open call for applications, sorry!

If he was taking recommendations from me I'd probably spam him with suggestions like 'whoever made that flash game where you throw the steel balls' and 'the modder who turned the skyrim dragons into macho man randy savage' until he removed my recommendation privileges though!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Everdraed posted:

If he was taking recommendations from me I'd probably spam him with suggestions like 'whoever made that flash game where you throw the steel balls' and 'the modder who turned the skyrim dragons into macho man randy savage' until he removed my recommendation privileges though!

Yeah, but, hear me out.

Those are awesome recommendations.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, to bring back the conversation to music, Galactic Hole put out a new mashup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuiDQ9oBtDA

:five:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Everdraed posted:

Toby's definitely gonna be contacting folks he's interested in himself, his info post was mostly to give people interested in more a heads up about the timeline for further development but not actually an open call for applications, sorry!

I hope he brings on Kanotynes

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

The way that Toriel talks about not being able to save the others, her immediate desire to protect and mother the random human child she finds(and not let them go any further into the underground), all the leftover kid's shoes she still has, her total disgust towards Asgore... I don't see how the other humans could not have been children. Her character just doesn't make nearly as much sense emotionally otherwise.

I know this is a couple of pages back now but I just wanted to say... Do people still get confused by this? Do you think she ritually took the shoes of kids and put them in a box? I know a lot of people's initial reaction to the box of shoes is something along the lines of "she's a witch who eats kids just like in fairy tales" but the real reason for the shoes is much simpler - she's a mom. She had a kid.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Your Computer posted:

I know this is a couple of pages back now but I just wanted to say... Do people still get confused by this? Do you think she ritually took the shoes of kids and put them in a box? I know a lot of people's initial reaction to the box of shoes is something along the lines of "she's a witch who eats kids just like in fairy tales" but the real reason for the shoes is much simpler - she's a mom. She had a kid.

Your Computer, I'm going to be real with you: I actually didn't make that connection until just now when you pointed it out.

I'm feeling kind of dumb because, yeah, now that you've said it it's super obvious. The shoes belonged to Chara and Asriel at different ages as they grew up and Toriel kept them for their sentimental value.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Your Computer, I'm going to be real with you: I actually didn't make that connection until just now when you pointed it out.

I'm feeling kind of dumb because, yeah, now that you've said it it's super obvious. The shoes belonged to Chara and Asriel at different ages as they grew up and Toriel kept them for their sentimental value.

chara probably never lived there considering the kids' room has only one bed

the assumption i drew from the shoes and the various crayons and games scattered around was that they were things she scrounged up from the ruins for the previous kids who had fallen - that's definitely what you're intended to believe at first, but who knows if it was actually the case

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chara, at least. Asriel never wore shoes :eng101:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Chara, at least. Asriel never wore shoes :eng101:

asriel: strong soles

humans: strong souls

undyne: strong sole

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 27, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Asgore you dunce, I said 7 human SOLES

Oxxidation posted:

the assumption i drew from the shoes and the various crayons and games scattered around was that they were things she scrounged up from the ruins for the previous kids who had fallen - that's definitely what you're intended to believe at first, but who knows if it was actually the case
I mean, this isn't just Toriel's ruin hangout, it's their old home (which they named... 'Home')

The whole place is essentially foreshadowing, and then when you reach New Home you actually learn about Toriel's kid(s) and... :smith:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Your Computer posted:

No, I meant like she kept the shoes around in the hopes of taking in another kid later on.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Oxxidation posted:

Didn't Asriel have his own room that you just can't ever go into because of renovations or lock or something like that?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nep-Nep posted:

Didn't Asriel have his own room that you just can't ever go into because of renovations or lock or something like that?

that's asgore's room, he and toriel slept in separate beds for some reason

i mean it's obviously meant to show how each of their households has been spiritually amputated by their divorce (along with toriel's terrible gardening and asgore's lousy attempts at baking) but it's still a bit odd

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oxxidation posted:

that's asgore's room, he and toriel slept in separate beds for some reason

i mean it's obviously meant to show how each of their households has been spiritually amputated by their divorce (along with toriel's terrible gardening and asgore's lousy attempts at baking) but it's still a bit odd

I dunno, having separate beds really isn't that weird of a thing for married couples to have. A some people just sleep better by themselves.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Oxxidation posted:

IIRC they moved to New Home after Chara arrived? Since otherwise Asriel probably wouldn't have been near the hole to find Chara. Wouldn't be out of place for them to have lived in Home with temporary accommodations for Chara before everyone moved to New Home because of the new hope for humans and monsters.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I dunno, having separate beds really isn't that weird of a thing for married couples to have. A some people just sleep better by themselves.

my take on it has always been that it's because asgore's snoring ranks somewhere between "backfiring tractor-trailer" and "approaching kaiju"

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Toriel probably took the shoes with her when she left New Home.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McFrugal posted:

Toriel probably took the shoes with her when she left New Home.

"Why do you have 14 pairs of men's shoes? They don't even fit you." / "I HAVE A PROBLEM, OKAY? :byodame:"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
*You peak inside...
*Scandalous!

*It's TORIEL's sock shoe drawer.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Somewhat related, I don't think it's actually possible to kill Mettaton during a neutral run (in fact, fighting him is one of the quicker ways to boost the ratings during said battle).

You can always just wait around and let the ratings drop.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Larryb posted:

Somewhat related, I don't think it's actually possible to kill Mettaton during a neutral run (in fact, fighting him is one of the quicker ways to boost the ratings during said battle).

Consistent Pan/Gun crits do absurd damage and can kill him in just a few turns.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

You can always just wait around and let the ratings drop.

So the fight ends if the ratings drop to 0 as well? Never knew that actually.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The death (?) of Mettaton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDaC1SNcpwE

Yeah, that's the vibe I was getting too.

That bot is dead, goodnight sweet robo Bowie.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

So the fight ends if the ratings drop to 0 as well? Never knew that actually.

No, it doesn't end the fight as they bottom out at 3000, IIRC. But deliberately waiting around for them to drop means that they'll never reach the required number for the pacifist win either, so basically you have all the time in the world to beat robot Michael Jackson to death if you're so inclined.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I like the idea that Mettaton has so much charisma he's immune to being defeated by plummeting his ratings

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Speaking of murdering Mettaton, I recently found a cool fan animation of an extended Mettaton Neo battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqonXTAz0vg

Kind of wish this boss fight was actually in the game.

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?

Speaking of murdering Mettaton, I recently found a cool fan animation of an extended Mettaton Neo battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqonXTAz0vg

Kind of wish this boss fight was actually in the game.

I love animations like these, but I also always love the MTT Neo fight in game. Mettaton straight up lies to you about being an anti-human weapon, then transforms into some cool-looking but deeply impractical costume armor. He knows drat well you're going to tear through him like tissue paper, but every second you hesitate because he looks intimidating is a chance for Alphys to evacuate one more person, or a second for Asgore to get the souls ready, or a chance for anyone left to do anything.

It's been pointed out that No Mercy brings out the best in all the monsters. Just as Alphys' best isn't fighting, it's engineering (various lasers blocking your way in Hotland) and coordination (staging a large-scale evacuation), Mettaton's best isn't fighting.

It's putting on a show.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Unrelated to anything, but I've always felt pretty certain that Megalovania isn't Sans' boss theme, it's yours. The player's. I'm probably far from the first to think this, but I'm wondering what y'all think.

A big part of why I think this is that we know what Sans' theme is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-RyLUQUrA

And true to form for Toby Fox, his theme and leitmotif are heavily quoted in his "battle theme" (that doesn't actually play in the game):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4VNZdsjveE

However, there's nothing at all of Sans to be found in Megalovania. Now I know the reason for this is that Megalovania was made before Undertale and comes from Homestuck, but Toby doesn't seem to do anything by accident, musically speaking. Using a musical theme from outside the game's world to represent the player feels like a very Toby thing to do imo

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

However, there's nothing at all of Sans to be found in Megalovania. Now I know the reason for this is that Megalovania was made before Undertale and comes from Homestuck, but Toby doesn't seem to do anything by accident, musically speaking. Using a musical theme from outside the game's world to represent the player feels like a very Toby thing to do imo

Megalovania doesn't come from Homestuck, though that's its 2nd most well-known use. It comes from Toby's Halloween Hack of Earthbound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIowwZThIXM

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
SoT is right that the song being from an outside work excludes it from most of Undertale's identifying leitmotifs, which does make it feel "anomalous" in the rest of the game's soundtrack

the song that might play when you fight Sans is The Song That Might Play When You Fight Sans, but Megalo IMO is the song that plays when Sans fights you

also even though the title's a holdover i always thought it noteworthy how it's basically the word megalomania with LOVE shoved in the middle

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Unrelated to anything, but I've always felt pretty certain that Megalovania isn't Sans' boss theme, it's yours. The player's. I'm probably far from the first to think this, but I'm wondering what y'all think.

A big part of why I think this is that we know what Sans' theme is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-RyLUQUrA

And true to form for Toby Fox, his theme and leitmotif are heavily quoted in his "battle theme" (that doesn't actually play in the game):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4VNZdsjveE

I always liked this theory, especially since the only time you fight Sans is when you're a full genocide player. You might be fighting the final boss in the game, but Sans is the one fighting the 'Final Boss' in the "this is the last chance to defeat evil" sense you see in a normal game

Also semi-related, Song That Might Play When You Fight Sans is somehow even more Megaman X2 than most of the Megaman X2 soundtrack and it's extremely my poo poo :toot:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

skaianDestiny posted:

Megalovania doesn't come from Homestuck, though that's its 2nd most well-known use. It comes from Toby's Halloween Hack of Earthbound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIowwZThIXM
oh, cool! I didn't know that. This early version is neat, cool to see where it came from and how it developed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Oxxidation posted:

undyne: strong swole

ftfy