Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Sid is cool because he actually does learn not to be an edgelord, and also because moogles do need to get the poo poo beat out of them on the reg. Which he does, without hesitation, whenever it is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Kithyen posted:

Well that certainly sucks a bit. Hopefully it's not delayed too long.

Is this for EU pre-orders or NA ones as well? I pre-ordered at the NA store and it's still stuck in "Validated"

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Leofish posted:

Sabotender beast tribe when, SE?

Spriggans first.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

FortMan posted:

Did you come back to him, afterward?

Not during the quest but I did just now, and there's nothing there.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

TheHeadSage posted:

Is this for EU pre-orders or NA ones as well? I pre-ordered at the NA store and it's still stuck in "Validated"

I'm NA so I'm assuming it's probably for both? Not sure.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Kaubocks posted:

think i blew a newbie’s mind today

wife wanted to see the bard macro player i had so i hopped onto my alt and fired it up. immediately as i launched into a stunning rendition of the mii channel theme a lala says “omg” and starts clapping and dancing. once i stop it they ask if there’s any way to give me gil as a trial player. i laughed and said not to worry about it and kicked into a couple more songs as they sat down and tried to guess what they were. when i was done i gave them a hug and a wave and told them to have fun out in the world before teleporting away~

just felt very wholesome. wish i thought to get a screenshot of just me and them alone in ulda aetheryte plaza lol

completely unrelated vanity screenshot of my main after i grinded shiva ex solo over a dozen times trying to get the drk sword:

sole survivor is such a baller move god i love drk

Tell me more about this bard macro player! I'd love to have something to let me fiddle around in town without manually picking at the keyboard, especially since the octave shift buttons still feel really awkward to me.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

BrightWing posted:

Not during the quest but I did just now, and there's nothing there.

You'd see ... a bit more if you returned before you zoned.

FortMan fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 27, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So I just killed Tsukuyomi for my first time tonight. I take it "laughing my rear end off" was not the intended emotional response to the scene of her being summoned or the cutscene after the fight.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I've started playing again after getting out of gacha game hell!

So the Azim Steppe is really cool, and I'm off to fight in that ritual tourney they have. Bardam's Mettle was really cool even if I didn't really have a good idea of how to handle the 2nd and 3rd bosses. Very good lore and gameplay-wise.

I kind of dig all these Au'Ra stuff. Plus the music is top-notch...

On another note, I'm having problems managing Armoury Chest space. My SCH/SMN is almost up to the level where I could do MSQ with them instead of my maxed DRK, but having two different gear sets is wreaking havoc on my inventory space. Do you people experience the same problems? I'm thinking of just dumping equipment I don't regularly use (like 1-50 tank gear) to a retainer or something. Is that the best way to go about it?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Cythereal posted:

So I just killed Tsukuyomi for my first time tonight. I take it "laughing my rear end off" was not the intended emotional response to the scene of her being summoned or the cutscene after the fight.

no its kind of weird actually

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

somepartsareme posted:

no its kind of weird actually

Really? For me, everyone involved in that story is so tragic and evil they loop around to being hilarious to me and I was never able to take any of them seriously. My main reaction to Yotsuyu or Asahi showing up has generally been giggling.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Cythereal posted:

Really? For me, everyone involved in that story is so tragic and evil they loop around to being hilarious to me and I was never able to take any of them seriously. My main reaction to Yotsuyu or Asahi showing up has generally been giggling.

Yeah it is really hella anime and dumb for the most part but that won't stop goons from telling you you're a morally terrible human being for your reactions to 10 minute long cutscenes where people nod every 15 seconds

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ArtIsResistance posted:

Yeah it is really hella anime and dumb for the most part but that won't stop goons from telling you you're a morally terrible human being for your reactions to 10 minute long cutscenes where people nod every 15 seconds

Goons, acting like something anime is serious? Do go on!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Seeing Asahi get speared by Yotsuyu while he's once again trying to be the big man in the room is actually pretty hilarious in a stunning sort of way.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

ArtIsResistance posted:

weird overreaction but ok

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

snergle posted:

Right now im thinking of lamia ( 5/8 of the static are on lamia) behemoth (2/8 are there) ultros or leviathan. I'm looking for goons on those servers to give me an honest evaluation of the hunt train and housing market. If you have more things to tell me about it that would be great to.

Hello I am on Lamia I transferred here like 2 months ago or so and it's kind of nice. In a lot of ways it feels/is very lowpop. If you want a house in any of the 4 wards you probably won't have an issue. Goblet constantly has a bunch of empty plots while the other wards have 1 or 2 free ones intermitently so if you check on a daily basis you'll get one pretty quick. Marketboard is pretty small but if you're selling stuff as a crafter there isn't really that much competition and I've made a ton selling the 380 gear. Haven't done hunts in a very long time so no clue about that but I'm sure if you ask for a hunt LS in Rhalgr's you'll get one.

Basically I find Lamia has the benefits of low pop without too much in the way of disadvantages. It also feels like you get matched up with Lamia people in duty finder a lot which is a plus? I think? Cheers.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cythereal posted:

No, that was my reaction too, the whole Yotsuyu/Asahi thing definitely overflowed into being hilarious.

somepartsareme posted:

weird overreaction but ok

It's not at all an overreaction.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ArtIsResistance posted:

:thunk:

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I couldn't take anything about Doma seriously after we liberated it. She had a castle drop on her head after getting slashed across the chest and she survived somehow. Like... I can understand wanting to have more story with her in it but do it better than that, thanks. Her brother was a dweeb and so ridiculously evil I couldn't take him seriously. It was a mess and poorly done in my opinion.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
yea i'm not saying yotsuyu's story was "well written" or "good" (its not) but my reaction to it was more just kind of awkward than raucous laughter. maybe thats just me though

but the trial and the way it all ended were cool imo

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It is cool and good to point out that just because Doma is a victim of imperialism doesn't mean they're at all Good Guys (TM) across the board or don't have their own problems to work out, which was the entire point of the Yotsuyu storyline. I have my own beef with how precisely it was executed on, but the core idea of examining how a monster is made (the cultural rot and culpability of those around them) is fine.

Sometimes victims are also poo poo people, but should be helped despite that.

Also a male character deciding the best way he can help is by soothing the emotional burden of war is cool and good. Good on you Gotetsu.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 27, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

BrightWing posted:

Do not seek forgiveness. It will not ease your burden. It weighs as it should.

Fixed that quote for you because it's too good not to get right.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

ArtIsResistance posted:

Hello I am on Lamia I transferred here like 2 months ago or so and it's kind of nice. In a lot of ways it feels/is very lowpop. If you want a house in any of the 4 wards you probably won't have an issue. Goblet constantly has a bunch of empty plots while the other wards have 1 or 2 free ones intermitently so if you check on a daily basis you'll get one pretty quick. Marketboard is pretty small but if you're selling stuff as a crafter there isn't really that much competition and I've made a ton selling the 380 gear. Haven't done hunts in a very long time so no clue about that but I'm sure if you ask for a hunt LS in Rhalgr's you'll get one.

Basically I find Lamia has the benefits of low pop without too much in the way of disadvantages. It also feels like you get matched up with Lamia people in duty finder a lot which is a plus? I think? Cheers.

thanks for the info.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Oblivious posted:

It is cool and good to point out that just because Doma is a victim of imperialism doesn't mean they're at all Good Guys (TM) across the board or don't have their own problems to work out, which was the entire point of the Yotsuyu storyline. I have my own beef with how precisely it was executed on, but the core idea of examining how a monster is made (the cultural rot and culpability of those around them) is fine.

Sometimes victims are also poo poo people, but should be helped despite that.

Also a male character deciding the best way he can help is by soothing the emotional burden of war is cool and good. Good on you Gotetsu.

My issue with Yotsuyu is that, while I find her very sympathetic, from beginning to end she blames everyone but herself for her actions. She was a sadist, a murderer, and a tyrant who enjoyed killing. But it was never her fault. It was always her brother, or her parents, or someone else victimizing her. Yeah a lot of terrible poo poo happened to her, so much it's downright silly, but she chose to become the person that she is - and the closest she ever comes to admitting she herself had any responsibility for her crimes and the person she became was when she became Tsukuyomi.

I'm all for a good redemption story, I'd have been interested to see Yotsuyu work to redeem herself. Pity what could have been that she got saddled with a stupid amnesia plot instead. After all, redeeming yourself involves admitting you were wrong.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

My issue with Yotsuyu is that, while I find her very sympathetic, from beginning to end she blames everyone but herself for her actions. She was a sadist, a murderer, and a tyrant who enjoyed killing. But it was never her fault. It was always her brother, or her parents, or someone else victimizing her. Yeah a lot of terrible poo poo happened to her, so much it's downright silly, but she chose to become the person that she is - and the closest she ever comes to admitting she herself had any responsibility for her crimes and the person she became was when she became Tsukuyomi.

I'm all for a good redemption story, I'd have been interested to see Yotsuyu work to redeem herself. Pity what could have been that she got saddled with a stupid amnesia plot instead. After all, redeeming yourself involves admitting you were wrong.

I think you've misread Yotsuyu fundamentally.

Her crisis of conscience at the end is one of self loathing. Gotetsu's act of empathy challenges her core assumption that the world is inherently rotten, and that there's no point in trying to be above that. She does not consider herself to be deserving of those very deliberate acts of kindness, because she is a broken monster. She's very clear about the fact that she considers herself a monster, she just believes the world (and Doma specifically) deserves a monster. This is all painstakingly spelled out by her soliloquy before and during her final meeting with her parents.

In a way, you could say her parents succeeded too well. They very successfully convinced her of her lack of self worth. They just also taught her to believe the same of everyone else, and weren't prepared for the capacity for cruelty that created.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 27, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Her crisis of conscience at the end is one of self loathing. Gotetsu's act of empathy challenges her core assumption that the world is inherently rotten, and that there's no point in trying to be above that. She does not consider herself to be deserving of those very deliberate acts of kindness, because she is a broken monster. She's very clear about the fact that she considers herself a monster, she just believes the world (and Doma specifically) deserves a monster. This is all painstakingly spelled out by her soliloquy before and during her final meeting with her parents.

In a way, you could say her parents succeeded too well. They very successfully convinced her of her lack of self worth. They just also taught her to believe the same of everyone else, and weren't prepared for the capacity for cruelty that created.

On your reading of Yotsuyu:

A lot of people agree with Yotsuyu, and perhaps for similar reasons. The point where I thought it was very psychologically realistic in her talk during the trial is where Yotsuyu recognizes everything and its implications and then chooses to put the gun Warrior of Light in her mouth anyway because it would be harder to be wrong than to be dead. I mean, she could have stopped to hell-blast Asahi at that point.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nessus posted:

On your reading of Yotsuyu:

A lot of people agree with Yotsuyu, and perhaps for similar reasons. The point where I thought it was very psychologically realistic in her talk during the trial is where Yotsuyu recognizes everything and its implications and then chooses to put the gun Warrior of Light in her mouth anyway because it would be harder to be wrong than to be dead. I mean, she could have stopped to hell-blast Asahi at that point.

Yep. Make no mistake

Yotsuyu wants to be dead

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I disagree.

I see Tsukuyomi as nothing more than one last suicidal temper tantrum that the world wouldn't bend to her will. She was a [wo]manchild from beginning to end, concerned only with her own desires and her own pain. When she loses her memories, she deteriorates to the level of a child, because that's all she is. To me, her soliloquy was nothing but the raving of a woman incapable of honest self-reflection who went to her grave confused, frightened, and angry. She's a narcissist through and through, and I think Gosetsu scared her because his actions meant that she needed help. I think the mere prospect that she might just possibly be wrong about things terrified and enraged her.

Yep. Make no mistake

Yotsuyu wants to be dead

Yeah, in a sense that 'I'd rather be dead than admit I was wrong and could have been something other than what I was.'

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I disagree.

I see Tsukuyomi as nothing more than one last suicidal temper tantrum that the world wouldn't bend to her will. She was a [wo]manchild from beginning to end, concerned only with her own desires and her own pain. When she loses her memories, she deteriorates to the level of a child, because that's all she is. To me, her soliloquy was nothing but the raving of a woman incapable of honest self-reflection who went to her grave confused, frightened, and angry. She's a narcissist through and through, and I think Gosetsu scared her because his actions meant that she needed help. I think the mere prospect that she might just possibly be wrong about things terrified and enraged her.

Yeah, in a sense that 'I'd rather be dead than admit I was wrong and could have been something other than what I was.'

These seem to mostly be invectives and emotion so there's not much to respond to.

But to the second spoiler

Absolutely, yes. She has given up on herself.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

snergle posted:

thanks for the info.

no problemo let me know if you need to know anything else but it seems like a pretty chill server from what I've experienced

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

These seem to mostly be invectives and emotion so there's not much to respond to.

To me, the bottom line is that whatever her reasons, I think she deserved to die and should have been killed long ago. I find it hard to even sympathize with her given how comically overwrought her backstory is.

And so I just laughed at the computer screen when going through the conclusion of Yotsuyu's arc. Yotsuyu's not tragic in my eyes nor Asahi threatening or compelling, the whole thing is entertaining black comedy to me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

To me, the bottom line is that whatever her reasons, I think she deserved to die and should have been killed long ago. I find it hard to even sympathize with her given how comically overwrought her backstory is.

And so I just laughed at the computer screen when going through the conclusion of Yotsuyu's arc. Yotsuyu's not tragic in my eyes nor Asahi threatening or compelling, the whole thing is entertaining black comedy to me.

What's overwrought about her backstory? She came from a family of social climbers who didn't really care about their daughter beyond how she could be used to gain them status. She was sold into prostitution by her own parents to gain social (and literal) capital. Then she was used as an informant by the Garleans. That's all pretty mundane stuff.

Like you know parents selling their children into bondage for one reason or another is a thing that has happened and does happen right?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Archyduchess posted:

Tell me more about this bard macro player! I'd love to have something to let me fiddle around in town without manually picking at the keyboard, especially since the octave shift buttons still feel really awkward to me.

I personally make use of https://xivhunt.net/Client , it has a built in /perform function. You make text files, point it to the directory, and it will do the performance.

The text files are super easy to make, I pulled from https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/wiki/perform and did some find/replace to add in the pauses, and re-formatting the octave changes so they were compatible with xivhunt. They look like this when done:
Victory theme:
C (+1), w200, C (+1), w200, C (+1), w200, C (+1), G♯, B♭, C (+1), w350, B♭, w300, C (+1)

Zanarkland:
E (+1), w600, E, w600, G, w600, B, w600, E (+1), w600, F# (+1), w600, G (+1), w1800, D (+1), w600, D, w600, F#, w600, A, w600, D (+1), w600, E (+1), w600, F# (+1), w1800, B, w600, B, w600, B, w600, B, w600, A, w600, D (+1), w600, F#, w600, F# (-1), w1800, B (-1), w600, C#, w600, D, w600, F#, w1800, E (+1), w600, E (+1), w600, E (+1), w600, E (+1), w600, D (+1), w600, G (+1), w600, C (+1), w600, C (-1), w600, F (-1), w600, G (-1), w600, A (-1), w600, C, w600, F, w600, C, w600, F, w600, G, w600, A, w600, C (+1), w1800, E, w600, B (-1), w600, E, w600, F#, w600, G, w600, F#, w600, E, w600, D, w600, E, w600, D, w600, B (-1), w1800, E, w600, B (-1), w600, E, w600, F#, w600, G, w600, F#, w600, G, w600, A, w600, G, w600, A, w600, B, w1800, E, w600, B (-1), w600, E, w600, F#, w600, G, w600, F#, w600, E, w600, D, w600, E, w600, D, w600, B (-1), w1800, G (-1), w600, A (-1), w600, B (-1), w600, B (-1), w600, B (-1), w600, B (-1), w600, A (-1), w600, D, w600, G (-1), w600, G (-1), w600, F# (-1), w600, D (-1), w600, E (-1)

But there is also this, a midi player I haven't messed with yet: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxivperformances/comments/9qisj9/release_bard_music_player/

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cythereal posted:

Unsubtly evil Asahi and his unsubtly evil rant that was unsubtly the writers telling you to feel bad for Yotsuyu was definitely one of the most unintentionally hilarious things by virtue of how blatant it is.

Just the sheer amount of :moreevil: Asahi has done up to that point is so over the top that it's honestly hysterical.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Asahi is a legit bad character.

So is Zenos for that matter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

What's overwrought about her backstory? She came from a family of social climbers who didn't really care about their daughter beyond how she could be used to gain them status. She was sold into prostitution by her own parents to gain social (and literal) capital. Then she was used as an informant by the Garleans. That's all pretty mundane stuff.

She was raped but her parents didn't care! She was sold into slavery! Her parents betrayed her! So did her brother! Her brother then tried to murder her! The people who took her in used and abused her! Her pimp became a resistance fighter after she lost her memory!

It's so ridiculous I can't help but laugh. It reminds me of "dark and edgy" Harry Potter fanfic from when I was in high school more than anything.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

She was raped but her parents didn't care! She was sold into slavery! Her parents betrayed her! So did her brother! Her brother then tried to murder her! The people who took her in used and abused her! Her pimp became a resistance fighter after she lost her memory!

It's so ridiculous I can't help but laugh. It reminds me of "dark and edgy" Harry Potter fanfic from when I was in high school more than anything.

I'm still not getting the part where any of this is particularly unbelievable. :v: Is it the exclamation marks?

Tho her brother only tried to kill her in the present day.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Zenos was a cool design with some good lines and actual story presence which immediately makes him better than any of the antagonists in Heavensward.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm going to be contacting Squenix tomorrow about my options. I purchased the 50% off complete edition, trying to get out of the steam version on PC. Turns out there's no way to use the code. I might have to

Gulp

Try to sell it because I'm about 99% sure they won't refund me.

Wish me luck I guess! gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blockhouse posted:

Zenos was a cool design with some good lines and actual story presence which immediately makes him better than any of the antagonists in Heavensward.
Yeah it was clear they had a lot of plans with the Heaven's Ward and then almost none of it appears? Did they just run out of space? Is it all in the CUL 50-60 quests?