Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'll allow it because let’s be honest, making an already gaudy Lambo even more gaudy is just playing the game.

Same. Also, larger resolution for those that want it.

ExplodingSims posted:

The newest Fords I've driven have been the Transit vans, which are honestly pretty great as far as vans go. I mean, they're vans, but they have some nice features.

Speaking of, I dunno how many people here have experience with vans, but if one were to be shopping for one, in say the 2010-2015 range, would you choose Chevy/GMC or Ford?

I'm kinda looking into them for...reasons, and it seems like E-250s or 350s seem to be cheaper. I've driven a few different variants of the Chevy/GMC ones, and while they're ok, In my experience they seem to have a lot of transmission issues or rear diff issues. Other than that they seem to be pretty decent, if very simplistic vehicles. I mean, they haven't really updated them in like 30 years, so I guess they're doing something right.

Also, same question. Like, what if you needed easy maintenance and stuff because you planned on living in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been following the story about the guy that got killed by an isolated tribe trying to preach to them and thought he was pretty dumb at first, but then read that he was already run off the island once before that and how he barely escaped death with the loving Bible literally saving his life by stopping an arrow going through his chest......If that isn't a sign from God I don't know what the gently caress is, what is wrong with these people.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I've been following the story about the guy that got killed by an isolated tribe trying to preach to them and thought he was pretty dumb at first, but then read that he was already run off the island once before that and how he barely escaped death with the loving Bible literally saving his life by stopping an arrow going through his chest......If that isn't a sign from God I don't know what the gently caress is, what is wrong with these people.

They’re brainwashed into a white savior complex, op

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The guy wasn't white tho :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

The newest Fords I've driven have been the Transit vans, which are honestly pretty great as far as vans go. I mean, they're vans, but they have some nice features.

Speaking of, I dunno how many people here have experience with vans, but if one were to be shopping for one, in say the 2010-2015 range, would you choose Chevy/GMC or Ford?

I'm kinda looking into them for...reasons, and it seems like E-250s or 350s seem to be cheaper. I've driven a few different variants of the Chevy/GMC ones, and while they're ok, In my experience they seem to have a lot of transmission issues or rear diff issues. Other than that they seem to be pretty decent, if very simplistic vehicles. I mean, they haven't really updated them in like 30 years, so I guess they're doing something right.

You know I'm a GM truck guy but the E series vans are really pretty darn reliable. The hard part is finding one that isn't completely abused, because they will take a lot of it.

I think some of the E series vans from when I did HVAC are still going at the same company (edit - over 12 years ago), and I know what kind of maintenance they do - nothing until it stops on the side of the road, and occasional oil changes.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 27, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Adiabatic posted:

Yay Mars lander made it!

First "good" image (not including the initial ones with the dust cap)

This stuff blows me away

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, that's a nice picture. I guess cameras have improved since the last time we chucked a robot at the rustball.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
The weirdest thing to me is, if I'm reading right, that's a full natural color camera shot.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Queen Combat posted:

The weirdest thing to me is, if I'm reading right, that's a full natural color camera shot.

It's amazing how much the surface of Mars looks like the American southwest. Seriously, add some scrub brush and that'd look like the outskirts of Las Vegas.

Queen Combat posted:

Also, same question. Like, what if you needed easy maintenance and stuff because you planned on living in it?

We'll see what others say about maintenance and such, but I will say that the E-Series seem like they're slightly wider than the GM stuff was. Also the extended wheelbase on the Econolines is really long too, so those might be slightly better for making a house out of.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Okay guise I learned my lesson from my six hour probe and mandatory pro-snowflake rehabilitation

You can only poo poo on rear end in a top hat posters if their views don’t align with da mods

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

In other news, I had proudly made it through Black Friday/Cyber Monday without buying anything until I made the mistake of checking what kind of sales the premium cooler manufacturers were running...

Lifetime warranty as opposed to Yeti's 5yr, made in the USA and also significantly cheaper than Yeti. I camp a lot (most often in the desert) and this is going to rule.

poo poo, getting excited over an expensive cooler means I'm getting old huh :ohdear:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Wow a clear rear end picture of our poo poo sitting on loving Mars. Man the future is now

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man, that's a nice picture. I guess cameras have improved since the last time we chucked a robot at the rustball.
The cameras do seem to improve each new probe.

Interesting fact: The lens dust cover was/is still on for this photo. The descent camera which relayed the first image was clobbered with dust, but this one isn't bad at all. Can't help but think it will be even better once they pop it off.

They were discussing that MRO was passing above insight when it was descending, so there is a chance there might be a good shot of it descending, just like they grabbed an image of Curiosity on descent.

And that kind of poo poo is impressive as gently caress.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

slidebite posted:

image of Curiosity on descent.

And that kind of poo poo is impressive as gently caress.

Fucks me up that Curiosity weighs 1,982 pounds (Earth) and is 10fx9fx8f in L/W/H.

It's a Fiat 500 and we landed it with a loving rocket crane.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yay, my kid broken her elbow today.

She is far more upset about having to drink some ibuprofen.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So, I just got a packet in the mail from my insurance company. At first I thought it was gonna be the estimate for the repairs on the Forte (which the appraiser decided was repairable and will be returned to me in about three weeks). Turns out it was my policy for next year.

A year's insurance for the Forte? $514 ($387.71 for you dirty Southerners). That's with comprehensive coverage and depreciation protection as required by my financing, so not even lowest legal coverage. Admittedly there's another balance of $99, but that's for the transfer of coverage and due now as opposed to in January.

Also I never got my letter of "YOU DID A BAD THING" from the MTO for getting a ticket with demerit points, and my insurance company's notation on my driving record is identical to last year. I'm starting to wonder if the Caledon Courts just took my $240 and never actually reported my conviction...

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
As a teacher*, I loving love when this happens because I'll stop everything else to show off this event taking place. Unfortunately, my kids missed it because they had art (which happened to be a great waste of their time), but I'll be showing them all the videos and photos and such tomorrow, and we'll all geek out together because...

Queen Combat posted:

Fucks me up that Curiosity weighs 1,982 pounds (Earth) and is 10fx9fx8f in L/W/H.

It's a Fiat 500 and we landed it with a loving rocket crane.

At the basic level, it's just loving cool as poo poo. I mean, it's history in the making. I also showed the SpaceX launches earlier this year, where the rockets took off and returned. All of this cool poo poo just helps to cement the importance of everything else - I can help bolster an interest in any subject with this sort of stuff.

*formerly Science, now I teach all subjects

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

A FIAT 500 is 2500 pounds and the Curiosity, on Mars, weighs 1/7 than on Earth. Still impressive at about 300 pounds.

Edit: I was mistaken it seems. It's like 40% of Earth's gravity so would be about 750lbs.

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 27, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Fine, it's mass is 800ish kg :v:

I just ate poo poo three miles into my planned nightly 15. Misjudged a bump when transitioning from street to MUP and went over. Broke/stripped two spokes and had to walk back in my nasty thin cycling shoes.

Kinda afraid to peel my leggings off and check out the damage. I see blood already.

E: okay not as bad on the outside as it feels. gently caress my entire knee is on fire

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 27, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

Queen Combat posted:

E: okay not as bad on the outside as it feels. gently caress my entire knee is on fire

Put some tussin on it

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Regular Cars guy is so very bad at driving on a track.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Queen Combat posted:

Here you go, perfect for desert livin'

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Ford-...f8149%7Ciid%3A1

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Previa_fun posted:

He is bad at cars full stop. As I’ve mentioned before, to him they’re just a starting point, an excuse to jerk himself off writing about other things.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Previa_fun posted:

As a former rally / track instructor..... hes better than 95% of people.

Mostly because he actually IS listening and knows he is poo poo. Those are the people who are awesome to teach.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

meatpimp posted:

I teach this in class. I ask "how many of you were told that you have to do well in high school to get into a good college to get a good job?" EVERY SINGLE STUDENT raises their hands. They are shocked when I tell them that is a new construct and that wasn't told to students even 20 years ago.

The system has generated this doctrine that everyone needs to see college as a path and that's just bullshit. College has its place. So do the trades and other service careers.

At the same time this doctrine has arisen, the cost of going to college has, in many cases, tripled. It's some serious bullshit fuckery we're doing to an entire generation of students when they go from having to ask permission to go to the bathroom to making life-effecting decisions within moments.

It sure as hell was told to me 20 years ago, and we were the last class (in the very tail end of the 90's) to get through before my district completely stopped offering shop/home ec/auto maintenance as courses. It's why I'm still paying off student loans at this point, despite having dropped out upon rightly realizing that a degree for the sake of a degree wasn't worth the debt at the time, and having a very good job now thanks to sheer dogged persistence and some very lucky breaks.

Loans should be done next year, if I've budgeted correctly.

Goober Peas posted:

Oh hey, a bazillion posts in the chat thread. Someone's gonna get probed.

edit: there you go

Have you driven a Ford....lately?

Half an hour or so ago, Crown Vic on icy roads is disturbingly fun. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As a former rally / track instructor..... hes better than 95% of people.

Mostly because he actually IS listening and knows he is poo poo. Those are the people who are awesome to teach.

He seems to listen and want to learn, I agree, and yeah he is fairly honest about knowing he is poo poo but still does basic poo poo like look down and try to adjust HVAC controls and talk to passengers in the back seat and go on long winded stories about nothing while on track. I know part of that is his schtick but god his last batch of videos has been especially unfortunate.

Fun game: Watch the POV drives and pay attention to how many times he talks over or interrupts the car's owner.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

ExplodingSims posted:

It's amazing how much the surface of Mars looks like the American southwest. Seriously, add some scrub brush and that'd look like the outskirts of Las Vegas.

You dont even need to add shrubs and it looks like parts of Australia! The aptly named Moon Plain just outside of Coober Pedy in South Australia

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Previa_fun posted:

He seems to listen and want to learn, I agree, and yeah he is fairly honest about knowing he is poo poo but still does basic poo poo like look down and try to adjust HVAC controls and talk to passengers in the back seat and go on long winded stories about nothing while on track. I know part of that is his schtick but god his last batch of videos has been especially unfortunate.

Fun game: Watch the POV drives and pay attention to how many times he talks over or interrupts the car's owner.

He's vastly preferrable to say Demuro or say web publications with staff that are clueless about the poo poo they write about. I also prefer the POV's too - he's dropped the gimmick, he's taking poo poo with the owner and now and then you catch that hey, he's really enjoying what he's doing or he's genuinely excited.

Okay yeah RCR is a concentrated Reddit thread with all the memes and asshatery that suggests but in the end he's not pretending to be an expert or a great driver or even to be as deep into the nuts and bolts as us. I'm pretty happy to waste the time watching whatever waste of diskspace he's come up with.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
So, interesting night.

I've just gotten out of the shower, trying to go to sleep with my sore knee after biffing my bike earlier, and I hear my neighbor pounding on the other neighbor's (2 units down) door, screaming "open up open up!" I throw some clothes on real quick to watch the redneck fight that I assume is about to break out, but instead she's super worried and turns and screams at me for help, yelling, "She's on the ground! There's smoke!" looking through the open blinds.

I run out and use my shoulder to bust the door open (cheap door, she didn't have the deadbolt in, just a chain) and I run in to pick her up off the ground while the neighbor shuts off the stove and turns off the kitchen sink water (we're on the second floor, and she had also flooded the place by leaving the sink on and clogging the drain with vomit). An empty pan was burning the nonstick coating off and creating a ton of foul smoke, but thankfully that's all.

Get her up in a chair and she's totally out of it, there's an empty bottle of anti-depressants on the counter, along with a nearly empty handle of Captain Morgan 100. A third neighbor, downstairs to this one, had just run up because his ceiling was dripping, and started screaming and yelling about calling the cops. I tried to calm him quickly, saying that she's breathing and I"ll take her to the emergency room, because we live literally across the street from the hospital. While he's panicking, the first neighbor that had called for help asks if I'd keep the girl from falling while she pulled her car around, I snapped back that my car has all vinyl seats and is washable (this girl was puking profusely once we got her up and made sure she was breathing again), and ask if we could reverse roles. I pull my car around, we carry this girl (breathing, fussy, and vomiting but limp) down the steps, put her in the backseat, and drive her around the block and across the street to the ED. On the way out the third neighbor (the one with the flooding apartment) was yelling that we needed to wait for the cops, "they're on their way!" and I yell out of the driver's window, "Tell them we're going to Banner Desert, we'll meet them there!"

Get her across, wheelchair, into a bed, and stay with her for like an hour and a half. Hospital staff was appreciative because they couldn't find a sitter at this time of night, and we even drove back to grab the empty pill bottles and the girl's cellphone. Met with cops, got her info, all that jazz. We both left after we made sure she was going to be OK.

During this time the next door neighbor and I started talking, turns out we share like 100% the same interests. So, we decided to go back together and clean up the girl's apartment. Clean up and shampoo the vomit, dry up the flooded kitchen with my shop vac, etc. Then we went back to the hospital a final time (it's right there, so easy peasy) to see if the cops had found any contact info (they hadn't), and to bring her a fresh change of clothes because she (and both of us) ended up covered in vomit. Afterwards we went back to my place and typed up a note to leave for the girl or any family that may come into the apartment, put a spare box fan in the place to help dry the carpet out, stuff like that.

None of us knew anything about each other but I think the night ended better than it could have. Also I have a new friend now, that's cool (she already added me on PSN).

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 27, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You're good people. Hope she gets help.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
QC, you are a badass and you both went above and beyond what most people would do for a relative stranger.

Later you should definitely look back on this and be proud of how you handled it. Please take care of your knee and your shoulder. I'm sure they hurt.

Wife's new hep c labs came back. Zero viral load without medication. Looks like she cleared it herself. That was a wonderful phonecall to get earlier.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I hope the story makes sense, I figured that I should write it out as fast as possible before going to sleep but it's still kinda shaky in my mind. Also thank god the crown vic's rear seat is vinyl and pops out easy, she vomited all over it. I just finished cleaning it off in the shower.

We couldn't find any contact info so we left a note on the back of the front door. I also dabbed some toothpicks in wood glue and shoved them in the ripped out hotel chain clasp holes. If she's not back by tomorrow morning when I head out for class around 1100, I'll pop in and screw the plate back into the hole with the toothpicks. I also went over and put some food and water out for her cat, in her bender she knocked over everything. Poor thing hiding in the closet

Got her b'day from an officer, she's barely twenty :smith:. I know family or friends visit often because there's always multiple pairs of shoes outside the door, so hopefully she gets in contact with one of them after she wakes up.

The moral of the story is: always nosy Nancy a possible neighbor fight because you may end up making a friend. And also possibly preventing a Jimi Hendrix too.

E: SGS that's great news!

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 27, 2018

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rhyno posted:

No degree, no experience, got a great job at 39. I know plenty of people with great jobs but they are saddled with crushing amounts of debt.

Edit: now reading it's more than 15% of GMs total workforce.

I haven't got a degree either and I'm working a dream job

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Great job!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Impressive, QC. You're good people.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Queen Combat posted:

The moral of the story is: always nosy Nancy a possible neighbor fight because you may end up making a friend. And also possibly preventing a Jimi Hendrix too.

Back in high school I was a huge Hendrix nerd and read every book published about him. It's funny how many people are surprised that choking on his own vomit in bed alone is what actually killed him, like they figured he went out some legendary way partying hard and ODing on a cocktail of drugs while having an orgy and playing the Star Spangled Banner.

He and Jim Morrison fascinated me, amazing artists leaving way too early and leaving a giant hole in American rock music. Hendrix and the Doors could have given us so much more music it's a drat shame.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 27, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

:agreed:

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

QC, you are a badass and you both went above and beyond what most people would do for a relative stranger.

Later you should definitely look back on this and be proud of how you handled it. Please take care of your knee and your shoulder. I'm sure they hurt.

Wife's new hep c labs came back. Zero viral load without medication. Looks like she cleared it herself. That was a wonderful phonecall to get earlier.
I'm glad to hear this. Having been through the Needlestick Nightmare of follow-up labs, I know it's a huge weight off your shoulders. My Occupational Health visits sucked, too. I have pipes. I mean, if my arms are hanging down any competent nurse could find six places to put 18s in my arms without a tourniquet. And yet OH managed to blow two butterflies getting labs on one of my needlestick follow ups. I also once had to write my own prescriptions for Truvada and Kaletra because the OH doc couldn't get the doses and numbers rights. (Normally I use generic names, not Brand, but I simply never can remember them for all the antiretrovirals. Emtricatabine/tenofivir and ... something-avir/something-avir. We don't use Kaletra anymore anyway.)

He and Jim Morrison fascinated me, amazing artists leaving way too early and leaving a giant hole in American rock music. Hendrix and the Doors could have given us so much more music it's a drat shame.
Also :agreed: here. It sucks that Hendrix apparently spent a lot of his final months being hounded by people who wanted only to hear his older material, while he felt like he had newer, more inventive stuff to give.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Back in high school I was a huge Hendrix nerd and read every book published about him. It's funny how many people are surprised that choking on his own vomit in bed alone is what actually killed him, like they figured he went out some legendary way partying hard and ODing on a cocktail of drugs while having an orgy and playing the Star Spangled Banner.

It's crazy to think that Jimi was really only active and well-known for about 4 years before he died. In 4 years he made such a huge impact it's a little hard to comprehend. Imagine if he'd had more time. Sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm a couple days behind on posts, so excuse me for bringing up "old" poo poo.

Rhyno posted:

GM is closing several plants, 5500 jobs getting cut.

SO MUCH WINNING

Not too surprised to be honest. Not many took the buyout (maybe ~1/8 that were offered) so figured this was going to happen to some degree. I'm surprised that so many plants and car lines are potentially getting axed, but it makes sense with the direction the company is going and where the market is. GM has a habit of keeping low volume products around for too long (either through having too many options/engines/transmissions and combinations that have a very small take rate, etc), so I'm hopeful that some of that is curbed with this sort of thing to streamline manufacturing.

This isn't affecting just Ford and GM. People can poo poo on GM cars but even Honda and Toyota are having trouble selling sedans, that's the just market currently. The steel tariff definitely hasn't helped things, either, to the tune of about a $1B each for Ford and GM.

My opinion on the college degree chat: Degrees are good as long as you get something that has a job potential with it. I think being told to go to college and "follow you dreams" by parents/teachers/etc. and then getting an Art degree is where it may have gone wrong for some folks maybe? I don't personally have any friends with degrees that didn't get jobs out of college, so my perspective may be skewed. :shrug:

Engineering has served me well thus far.... uh let me get back to confirm that in a few weeks/months. :ohdear:

meatpimp posted:

For sure. drat good neighbor right there.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 27, 2018

• Locked thread