Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

SeANMcBAY posted:

Fun fact: today is the 20th anniversary since it’s first release.

Fun fact: it took me 20 years to play it for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Alder posted:

Just completed BD1-2 and wondering if they will ever make BD3? :gbsmith:

I had a lot of fun minus the extraneous romance subplots and I want to be a real catmancer.
There have been a couple of semi-hints posted on Twitter that they may be working on a 3rd game, or a collection of 1&2, for the Switch.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Alder posted:

Just completed BD1-2 and wondering if they will ever make BD3? :gbsmith:

I had a lot of fun minus the extraneous romance subplots and I want to be a real catmancer.

Does Octopath Traveler count?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I haven't gotten the chance to play it yet, but my impression from talking to people who've played both...not really?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Octopath Traveller is honestly a downgrade in gameplay compared to BD1/2 in my book. Better characters but the severe job limitations and the fact that you have to swap people around frequently to keep 8 characters levelled up makes the actual gameplay ehh

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

(Cross-posted from the Switch thread, since I didn't know this one existed)
Has anyone had good or bad experiences with the cheap $70 2DS over the $150 2DS XL? I asked over in the Pokemon thread but one guy said the 2DS was uncomfortable and one guy said it was way more comfortable than the XL, so idk. I don't expect to use it much, I just want a cheap machine to play Pokemon Sun on, but the difference in price makes me worry that the 2DS is junk. Is it comfortable over a multi-hour Pokemon or Zelda session? Am I getting locked out of playing any games due to the hardware or 2Dness?

Are there any other 3DS-exclusive games that I should pick up too? Which Mario game is the one that's supposed to be so good? I liked Octopath Traveller but I might as well wait till the Switch versions of Bravely Default come out, I think. I've got a Shopping Cart at Gamestop with the Mario Maker 2DS, Pokemon Ultra Sun, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga (3-for-2 used games today!). Are there any other must-haves? Mario 3D Land?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

The big thing about the old 2DS is that it doesn’t fold. That might cause you issues with grip angle vs view angle, but only you can decide. It was really designed IMO to be a cheap Pokémon machine to give to kids.

Mario 3D Land is really good, along with Zelda: Link Between Worlds. I’d also suggest Kirby: Planet Robobot. If you want some newer (i.e. more expensive) titles, Metroid: Samus Returns and WarioWare Gold are both cool too.

I personally also love the poo poo out of the Monster Hunter series, but it’s extremely difficult to get into and is way grindier than most people are willing to put up with.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Well, I want 3 $40ish titles for sure because of the Cyber Monday deal. I was actually just looking at Kirby: Planet Robobot, but is it better than Fire Emblem, Mario Superstar, and Pokemon? Or maybe I should swap one of those out for Kirby since it's a more active game...
(Also, why are these games still $40? They came out years ago!)

I will probably pick up 3D Land and Link Between Worlds at some point but they're cheaper. I've also heard good things about Monster Hunter, but I'm only really looking for stuff that's exclusive to the DS. I have a Switch and a gaming PC, and I don't use public transit or anything that I'd have use for the portability.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

If you're really just looking to budget game and can deal with any alleged discomfort, get the 2DS. There's all kinds of grips and whatnot if needed. And at least some of the 2DS still available at retail-level still come with a game pre-downloaded so it is a pretty good deal. If this is pretty much only going to be a Pokemon machine, get this. I'd even say get it if you think this will rarely/never leave the home since the lack of a clamshell leaves it a bit easier to damage. I personally am thinking of getting a 2DS at some point for it to be my at-home handheld and one of my others will be my on-the-go handheld.

(If you have a local video game store, ask if you can hold one or do a quick play test to see how it feels)

If you think you might get more immersed into the catalogue of 3DS/2DS and DS games, you may want to spring for the New Nintendo 2DS XL. Cheaper than the New Nintendo 3DS/3DS XL (not sure if the regular New 3DS is even still available), still get the clamshell design, and can play the handful of SNES games available on the Virtual Console. Plus has the updated specs of the New line. You really aren't missing too much in regards to 3D.

For the parental control question: I don't think accounts can be linked, you just have to know the password/pin to access the restricted areas. At least that's how I think it happens on the 3DS line.

EDIT: Price is Nintendo tax. Some also argue that because there aren't eighty gazillion Pokemon games on the market in contrast to hype/fads like Guitar Hero which released many, many games each year at their peak and are now almost all in discount bins, if your local game store even accepts them at all. This means that many first party Nintendo games rarely come down a lot in value.

If you live in a modest or large city, you may have better luck finding used games on Facebook Market Place, Craigslist, or other local-based sites. I picked up a used copy of Mario Odyssey for $40, saving me $20. Sometimes pawn shops or thrift stores may also have good deals as they may less knowledgeable about video games.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 26, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The New 3DS XL has been discontinued so getting a brand new one is pricey. I got a secondhand one a few weeks back and I love it but I totally get it could be overkill for casual use. TBH I'd go with the 2DS XL, it's not enormous but the form factor is just gorgeous.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Ugh, I think what's pushing me over the edge are the pack-in games, as dumb as that sounds. I have 0 interest in Mario Kart 7 when I have Mario Kart 8 on the Switch, and I really want to try Mario Maker, but I'd never buy it at $30. I can get the Hylian Shield 2DSXL with Link Between Worlds, but I'm not gonna play that for a while. I think I'm going with the Mario Maker 2DS, as gently caress-ugly as it is. It's not gonna leave the house anyway. I think what it comes down to is that I just didn't want to spend more than $200 on this thing, and a $80 discount is basically worth 3 full-price games on Cyber Monday.

Aside from the SNES games (which is stupid, they can't get an SNES emulator to run?) is there anything else that the 2DS isn't compatible with?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Phenotype posted:

Aside from the SNES games (which is stupid, they can't get an SNES emulator to run?) is there anything else that the 2DS isn't compatible with?

"New"-Only Games:

BlockForm
Box Up
Brick Race
Color Cubes
Cup Critters
Fire Emblem Warriors
forma.8
Futuridium EP Deluxe
Galaxy Blaster
Hit Ninja
Hyper Light EX
Lifespeed
Mini Mario and Friends amiibo Challenge (Require amiibo to play)
Minecraft: New 3DS Edition
Pink Dot Blue Dot
Pirate Pop Plus
Pixel Hunter
Runbow
Shoot The Ball
The Binding of Isaac Rebirth
Wind Up Knight 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D

That said, most games perform better on N2/3DS consoles in general just because it's inherently beefed up hardware, notably Pokemon SM/USUM.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS is probably the most significant. Fire Emblem Warriors, although it's much better on Switch anyways. Most others are smaller digital only games iirc.

There are also a few games that just perform a bit better on the new 3DS from the extra controls + improved performance, like the Pokemon games and Monster Hunters. You also lose out on the ability to scan Amiibo without buying the extra dongle, but I can't think of many 3DS titles that lose something significant from not having Amiibo.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hyrule Warriors is n3DS-only, it just technically boots on o3DS so they left the sticker off. :v:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you want a good laugh and have CFW/homebrew, launch Xenoblade Chronicles 3D underclocked to original 3DS speeds.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Dehry posted:

If you want a good laugh and have CFW/homebrew, launch Xenoblade Chronicles 3D underclocked to original 3DS speeds.

Are there videos of this?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

plester1 posted:

It was really designed IMO to be a cheap Pokémon machine to give to kids.

It was designed exactly for this purpose. It's simple, durable, and doesn't have the mean old 3D effect that can harm little Timmy and Suzie's still-developing eyes.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"New"-Only Games:

BlockForm
Box Up
Brick Race
Color Cubes
Cup Critters
Fire Emblem Warriors
forma.8
Futuridium EP Deluxe
Galaxy Blaster
Hit Ninja
Hyper Light EX
Lifespeed
Mini Mario and Friends amiibo Challenge (Require amiibo to play)
Minecraft: New 3DS Edition
Pink Dot Blue Dot
Pirate Pop Plus
Pixel Hunter
Runbow
Shoot The Ball
The Binding of Isaac Rebirth
Wind Up Knight 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D

That said, most games perform better on N2/3DS consoles in general just because it's inherently beefed up hardware, notably Pokemon SM/USUM.

You forgot the SNES VC games.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The New 3DS XL has been discontinued so getting a brand new one is pricey. I got a secondhand one a few weeks back and I love it but I totally get it could be overkill for casual use. TBH I'd go with the 2DS XL, it's not enormous but the form factor is just gorgeous.

It hasn't been discontinued in Australia. At least, not that you can tell given how prevalent the back-stock is in literally every store that has a games section.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

Are there videos of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3CVALdbm6I

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Today I helped a confused mom at the mall pick out a second hand OG 2DS for her 7 year old daughter along with cheap Luigi's Mansion 2 and second hand Kirby Triple Deluxe and Club Penguin. (extra cheap) That seems like a good start.

I told her not to worry if it's confusing, because it sure as hell is.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You forgot the SNES VC games.

Phenotype posted:

Aside from the SNES games

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Phenotype posted:

(which is stupid, they can't get an SNES emulator to run?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7tNGQgEgSc

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

god the comments on this video make me want to pull my hair out.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

the month they first announced that feature was an awful time to be online

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SNES Online games exclusive to the Switch 2

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

SNES Online games exclusive to the Switch 2
Nintendo SNitch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SelenicMartian posted:

Nintendo SNitch.

SNitches get Switches. :ese:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

it's the loving worst

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

If you want an insanely cheap regular new3DS, EB games is trying to get rid of their Animal Crossing Happy Home bundles for all of $119AUD

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Good grief, I knew the 3DS wasn't exactly a powerhouse, but drat.

DoctorWhat posted:

Don't you know? An emulator that most likely cut some corners or sacrificed accuracy for functionality just to get things working is a perfect example of how Nintendo is holding out on us!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I still wish Nintendo had continued releasing their own 3D Classics, and that they'd picked games people wanted to play instead of crap like Urban Champion.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Fetus posted:

Good grief, I knew the 3DS wasn't exactly a powerhouse, but drat.

Don't you know? An emulator that most likely cut some corners or sacrificed accuracy for functionality just to get things working is a perfect example of how Nintendo is holding out on us!

Relevant.

It’s not a lie to say they probably could have gotten something working (somewhat) on the old 3DS, but they def. utilized the N3DS’s extra power for the existing entries so just trying to install and go with them ain’t gonna fly. The closer to a toaster you’re using for the emulator, the more bespoke per-game hacks you’re going to have to do to make them work on poorly-emulated hardware.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I still wish Nintendo had continued releasing their own 3D Classics, and that they'd picked games people wanted to play instead of crap like Urban Champion.

Oh man, that one was so baffling. We get Excitebike, Xevious, the best version of NES Kirby and, just when things are looking up, they release Urban Champion, no one buys that garbage and they go with "welp, those things aren't selling anyway, let's stop making them." THE END

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

urban champion was weirdly like, the one they did the most work on too

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hello folks I was thinking about getting a New 3DS XL over Christmas but they don’t exist anymore? Or at least amazon UK etc don’t list them they all just list new 2DS. Can I play 3DS games on these or what’s the craic? Keep in mind I’m massively stupid namaste

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
New 2DS is identical to the New 3DS, just without the 3D part. If that matters a lot to you you’ll need to find a New 3DS off ebay or something, if it doesn’t matter to you you’re golden and can play any game on it just fine

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Hello folks I was thinking about getting a New 3DS XL over Christmas but they don’t exist anymore? Or at least amazon UK etc don’t list them they all just list new 2DS. Can I play 3DS games on these or what’s the craic? Keep in mind I’m massively stupid namaste

I bought a second hand one in CEX for not mad expensive. TBH if you don't care about 3D much (I mainly turn it off), I'd get a new 2DSXL

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Bury me with my monhun New 3DS XL

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EmmyOk posted:

Try EB Games/Gamestop if you want a new3DS. The Australian ones still have them in spades.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gonna call around the gamestops in my city after work, thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the info, gang! Are there any 3DS games I’ll be totally precluded from playing with a 2DS? I have an old pre-owned small 3DS in case but it bowled a bit playing Pokemon and I heard the New 3D was much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Are there any 3DS games I’ll be totally precluded from playing with a 2DS?

Not with a New 2DS XL, no. Nintendo doesn't allow any games where the stereoscopic 3D would be necessary.

The New 2DS XL is the same thing as the New 3DS XL but without a stereoscopic display.