Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Errybody wanna eat like a bodybuilder but nobody wanna poop like a bodybuilder

Co-workers son apparently wanted to bulk up for football so he had been eating a lot. The co-worker asked me for my best eating tips for bulking. I just said anything green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Eat your drat veggies

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Killing Loaf posted:

The science of shoulder impingement. It's not what you think.

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/shoulderimpingement/

i studied rotator cuff injuries in the early 2000s and personally collected data on maybe 500 subacromial decompressions over 4 years so seeing this new research now is really cool! i cant remember if any got published on this sinice we focused on arthplasty mostly in the elderly and what fizfishazzle said is pretty spot on about orthopaedics, at least from how I saw it working in the industry

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I wish my shoulder injuries were fake

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I never heard of the whole "extra bones in the shoulder" form of impingement, maybe it's a US thing? I just thought shoulder impingement was pinching stuff in your shoulder due to bad exercises and/or form

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
I pissed off my low back doing conventional deadlifts back in July. I tried just dropping the weight for a while then switched to trap bar for the past couple months but haven't gone much over 200 lbs with either. Today I finally gave sumo a shot and it felt great! I worked up to 290 for a double which is significantly heavier than even my old e1RM from using the trap bar. My back is feeling a lot better than it usually does after deadlift day too. :toot:

I'm gonna be so drat sore tomorrow.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mustached Demon posted:

Co-workers son apparently wanted to bulk up for football so he had been eating a lot. The co-worker asked me for my best eating tips for bulking. I just said anything green.
Oh boy I love pistachio ice cream

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sup did everyone give up after thanksgiving?

I’m still here grinding away at 4am every drat day.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
is that another spelling of Squatsgiving?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I don't celebrate thanksgiving, if us brits had to celebrate every time we hosed over a native population we'd never get any work done

did overhead press for the first time in a while, was good stuff

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

I signed up for my first competition. It's only for people who don't have an official total logged or haven't totalled in over a year. With any luck, I won't make a complete rear end out of myself in comparison to the other 109kg dudes. I'm just going for a total and the experience anyhow.

Now to get down to 109kg....

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

I signed up for my first competition. It's only for people who don't have an official total logged or haven't totalled in over a year. With any luck, I won't make a complete rear end out of myself in comparison to the other 109kg dudes. I'm just going for a total and the experience anyhow.

Nice congrats! How long do you have?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm looking into doing my first meet soon and like every single "your first meet" guide says DO NOT CUT WEIGHT FOR YOUR FIRST MEET

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I did this boot camp thing at my gym thanksgiving morning. 1 hour of high rep low weight crossfitty poo poo. It kicked my rear end :(. I chalked it up to it being a morning workout and me being tired as gently caress from the night before. Spent the rest of the weekend with flu-like symptoms though so the jury’s still out

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

feelix posted:

I'm looking into doing my first meet soon and like every single "your first meet" guide says DO NOT CUT WEIGHT FOR YOUR FIRST MEET

I'm at 111-112kg so it may very well be just getting rid of some carb bloat. Coach seems ok with it.

Going from that to the weight class below 109... gently caress no.

It's in two months. I'm finishing up the first cycle of a 12wk pre-comp program so I should be good to go hit a total.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

feelix posted:

If you have time to slowly diet it off it's not a bad thing. I think that's more to prevent people from doing a 30lb water cut and killing themselves/their total.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm at 111-112kg so it may very well be just getting rid of some carb bloat. Coach seems ok with it.

It's in two months. I'm finishing up the first cycle of a 12wk pre-comp program so I should be good to go hit a total.

Oh if you have a coach then don't listen to anyone else obviously (no ironic)

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

And 3kg in 8 weeks ez pz, good luck at the meet!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

feelix posted:

Oh if you have a coach then don't listen to anyone else obviously (no ironic)

No, no, maybe the internet has some good points here - how’s the salami intake

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Split jerk back over 100kg. Feels good.

Weight hit 12st for the first time ever. Feels bad.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Stripped down to my pants and came in 1lb under. Feels better.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Heck naw, I had a decent test week. Had 185x8+ on bench, I really wanted 10 and failed the 10th rep right at lockout somehow, but 9 was still progress. Then I had 225x8+ on squats and knocked out 12 and then tapped out. And then I uploaded my legging butt picture to Tinder and I'm talking to like 5 or 6 girls right now so it's exciting times for triple d.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Heck naw, I had a decent test week. Had 185x8+ on bench, I really wanted 10 and failed the 10th rep right at lockout somehow, but 9 was still progress. Then I had 225x8+ on squats and knocked out 12 and then tapped out. And then I uploaded my legging butt picture to Tinder and I'm talking to like 5 or 6 girls right now so it's exciting times for triple d.

Hell yeah my man. :hfive:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Give 'em the salami gains, trip d.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

In other less good news my wrist is still defective and I managed to strain my neck pressing somehow too gently caress my stupid fragile body and gently caress lifting forever.

....I can't help myself please send help.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

VorpalFish posted:

In other less good news my wrist is still defective and I managed to strain my neck pressing somehow too gently caress my stupid fragile body and gently caress lifting forever.

This is all normal.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

VorpalFish posted:

https://startingstrength.com/article/aches-and-pains

edit: yes gently caress SS and all but ignore the top level domain and read

quote:

Most acute injuries heal within about six weeks, and pain lasting beyond this point usually represents a syndrome where the pain itself is the problem, rather than injured tissue. This means that the longer pain lingers, the more the traditional model falls short. There are countless patients with debilitating symptoms from fibromyalgia, chronic pelvic pain, chronic back pain, or prior sexual/physical abuse who have undergone numerous examinations, MRIs, and laparoscopies with no evidence of structural pathology or tissue injury. There are many more walking around with objective radiographic evidence of severe osteoarthritis and herniated discs who have no symptoms whatsoever. For years these sorts of patients left physicians, neuroscientists, and therapists baffled and frustrated. How is it possible? What makes them so different?

This is where the emerging model of pain neurobiology comes through. The reality is much more complex in that the brain uses multiple additional inputs to modulate our sensory experience.[2,3] In other words, while sensory signals travel up to the brain, the brain is simultaneously sending signals “downwards” to fine-tune the sensitivity of our nerves, to frame our sensory experience, and to adjust how we interpret a sensory stimulus. It does this based this on things like our environment (e.g, sitting on the couch vs. fighting on the battlefield), our emotional state (happy vs. fearful, depressed, stressed, or anxious), and how long the pain has been present (seconds vs. years).

The brain integrates these factors together with the signals from peripheral tissues to generate what we ultimately feel. Pain is therefore a projection of the brain. This is known as the biopsychosocial model because it accounts for the effects of psychological and social factors in the experience of pain in addition to what’s actually happening biologically at the tissue level.

turd in my singlet fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 29, 2018

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I may have asked this before but I'm an alcoholic with a poor memory. Can anyone point me to non-suck rear end strength training?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
You mean like a program? I will always shill Average to Savage as a general get stronger and bigger program(although if you're pretty new there may be better programs but I think you can still run AtS according to Nuckols iirc). It's a little like 5/3/1 in that it's mostly a progression scheme, so a lot of stuff to play around with and tweak to your liking. Also Nuckols has a spreadsheet full of free programs(AtS is only 10 bucks though, worth it) and those programs all go from beginner to advanced, so plenty to choose from.

Also I hit 105x10 on my 8+ OHP set, I do believe pin presses are getting me stronger in that top end range around my forehead where things always go to hell. Also I can hit 135 as an overwarm single now too(as in without it grinding/ruining my work sets) which owns so I get to press a plate over my head every session now.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 29, 2018

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Didn't you start like 1-2 weeks ahead of me? Why are you back to the high reps? Did you only run 3 blocks and reset (which I hear is a popular thing to do)?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
When did you start it? Because a while back I started it, ran like 1 block? Or maybe 2? and then got greedy for more bench gains and jumped on Nuckols 3x bench program and ran that for a block and I didn't like benching 3x a week. So I hopped back on AtS at the beginning and just finished up block 1 this week. And yeah I'm probably just going to run the first 3 blocks. The very first time I ran it I did the full thing and the 4th block didn't do much for me even in terms of peaking strength, probably because I always do my heavy singles before my work sets to begin with.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Okay that explains it. I thought you were doing some weird hybrid AtS but with all of the extra benching.

I don't think the 4th block is so hot for my goals right now either, but since it's the first time doing the program I want to run through it completely.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

You mean like a program? I will always shill Average to Savage as a general get stronger and bigger program(although if you're pretty new there may be better programs but I think you can still run AtS according to Nuckols iirc). It's a little like 5/3/1 in that it's mostly a progression scheme, so a lot of stuff to play around with and tweak to your liking. Also Nuckols has a spreadsheet full of free programs(AtS is only 10 bucks though, worth it) and those programs all go from beginner to advanced, so plenty to choose from.

I'm intrigued.

Is this the right thing? https://www.strongerbyscience.com/training-toolkit/

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

Yes that's Average to Savage.

The other thing DDD is talking about is this: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/train-smarter/

28 (free) programs that go from 1x/wk beginner/intermediate/advanced to 3x/wk beginner/intermediate/advanced for each of bench,squat, and deadlift. They're good to run as a piece of a larger program to bring up specific lifts.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Nice. I'm really just looking to bump some numbers up for 8-12 weeks before I start my Spring workout. I'm sure I can find something good here.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I don’t know what it is with my physiology, but I did some testing today with the plate loaded leg press, and while I can only get up to about 80kg (176lbs) for squats before things start to feel really off and I get light headed and weirdly anxious, I did 8 reps of leg press at 250kg (550lbs) no problem. I guess the question is whether my squat just really really sucks, or I’m doing something weird on the leg press.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

Nice. I'm really just looking to bump some numbers up for 8-12 weeks before I start my Spring workout. I'm sure I can find something good here.

12 weeks is enough to run the first 3 AtS blocks which is the main part of the program anyway(It comes as 4, 4 week blocks but the last block is a heavy sort of peaking style thing that most people don't run unless they want to test their maxes/compete) . Nuckols deserves your 10 bux, definitely more than Lowtax.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pesmerga posted:

I don’t know what it is with my physiology, but I did some testing today with the plate loaded leg press, and while I can only get up to about 80kg (176lbs) for squats before things start to feel really off and I get light headed and weirdly anxious, I did 8 reps of leg press at 250kg (550lbs) no problem. I guess the question is whether my squat just really really sucks, or I’m doing something weird on the leg press.

leg press machines are easy, fam

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Speaking of squats, I just blew my record out and then some by hitting 270 x 10 on my 1+ max set. That's great for me and all, as prior to today I'd never even loaded that much onto a bar for a squat set.

Problem is that I've been averaging 5 hours of sleep a night and just got way less last night because I had to take my wife to the airport at 4 am and was like "gently caress it I'm up, just go to the gym."

It was a good clean deliberate set, tough but fair, and then I got lightheaded and missed a pin on the re rack. I got it into place right before I felt like I was going to hit a point of no return, shaking a bunch and losing control on my left wrist a little. I had the safeties up but it was still scary, and I'm pretty sure I tweaked an erector (lol) so I'm going to be sore as heck soon.

tl;dr get your 8 hours boys and girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I have DOMs for the first time in a long time. I've been struggling to get to the gym due to road conditions and medical stuff. But holy poo poo, 2 days after lifting and it kicked in hard. I guess it had been 2 weeks since I leg pressed, 9-10 days since squatting, and my quads are on fire now. I struggled to get out of bed. The leg press did me in.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 30, 2018