Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

I do like the idea of all of Trump's kids turning on their monster of a father individually.

Mod edit: nope

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mod edit nope

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 27, 2018

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

No

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 27, 2018

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lol if the investigation could have been over months ago except for the tangled web of co-conspirators each desperately scrambling to rat each other out.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/1067229758562476033

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Hey ya’ll read the thread rules and also D&D rules.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ay to, Banon?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Note to self. I can tear gas my nieces if someone is holding them.

Christ, these people are monsters.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

eke out posted:

and as a separate "Trump legal problems" story, this level of loving base desperation really is extraordinary:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1067203942994640903

How likely is it they drag it out till the forms are printed? Can anything be done to prevent this?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Spoke Lee posted:

How likely is it they drag it out till the forms are printed? Can anything be done to prevent this?

They could eventually piss off the judge so much that he or she blows up and gives them a one-week warning before everybody goes to pokey for contempt. But that's relatively unlikely.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spoke Lee posted:

That’s what they are trying to do but appeals courts will not give them the stay they’re asking for to do it, at least not before the trial court renders a verdict. Or maybe the 17th time will be the charm.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Apparently Facebook knew in 2014 that the Russians were feasting on their data (from the UK thread):

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

evilweasel posted:

That’s what they are trying to do but appeals courts will not give them the stay they’re asking for to do it, at least not before the trial court renders a verdict. Or maybe the 17th time will be the charm.

So the administration needs a stay to add the question before printing? I was under the impression a stay was needed to stop the question from being added.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spoke Lee posted:

So the administration needs a stay to add the question before printing? I was under the impression a stay was needed to stop the question from being added.

The administration's goal is to run out the clock on any decision at all before it's too late. They assume that the trial court is going to rule against them, which will make it harder to use a run out the clock strategy because the presumption is going to be that if the trial court ruled against them, it shouldn't be added unless that decision is actually overturned.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
In a normal world sure, but this is the Hellfucker 2018 Earth alternate dimension. What's to stop them from just doing it anyway? I mean literally stop them. That's been a bit of a habit with Hair Furor running things, so what part of this has actual consequences and enforcement lined up to stop it?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MickeyFinn posted:

Apparently Facebook knew in 2014 that the Russians were feasting on their data (from the UK thread):

quote:

Collins brings up the Six4Three documents that parliament has received, but says that “we don’t intend to publish them today”.

He does, however, quote from them a claim that Facebook had discovered in 2013 that a Russian entity had been pulling information from the site using an API. He asks if that is true, but Allan responds by attacking Six4Three as a “hostile litigant”.

Collins again asks what Facebook actually did about that breach, and whether it had reported it. Allan says the information is “at best partial”, but says he will “come back to” Collins about whether Facebook actually knew about Russian activity.

lol

"They're a hostile litigant" isn't the greatest defense when the information isn't coming from Six4Three, it's coming from internal facebook emails and documents that they had possession of and turned over against their will

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Anyone involved with going ahead going to jail

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

I have to imagine that the courts would be extraordinarily hostile to the argument that "welp we can't re-print the forms!" considering that the judge has accused the DoC of trying to get the case delayed to the point that they could make such a claim and the DoC has claimed that they are in no way trying to do that.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1067425447170985985

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

I have to imagine that the courts would be extraordinarily hostile to the argument that "welp we can't re-print the forms!" considering that the judge has accused the DoC of trying to get the case delayed to the point that they could make such a claim and the DoC has claimed that they are in no way trying to do that.

i don't know why we'd think the judge is mad abo---

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1067426010948399105

oh right lol

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

eke out posted:

i don't know why we'd think the judge is mad abo---

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1067426010948399105

oh right lol

Is everyone in this administration bad at their jobs? Oh, right, there was a mass exodus the minute Trump went into office.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Every stunt Manafort pulls just screams blissfully incompetent yet incredibly dangerous. He shouldn’t be in charge of an easy bake oven.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

teen witch posted:

Every stunt Manafort pulls just screams blissfully incompetent yet incredibly dangerous. He shouldn’t be in charge of an easy bake oven.

Soon he'll be in charge of... Nothing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mustached Demon posted:

Soon he'll be in charge of... Nothing.

Or it's going to go like the producers and we'll see him running a student body election for the daughter of the warden.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

The DOJ knows they've burned every bridge with every judge that might review this case, except the Supreme Court. The DOJ is now openly taking the strategy of trying to bypass every lower court in favor of shoving their case in front of the five republican justices as quickly as possible and hoping to get a decision flagrantly ignoring the law in favor of what the republican party wants as quickly as possible.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

holy poo poo

that's like all the collusion, right there, and mueller apparently has the documents to prove it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

quote:

Manafort’s first visit to the embassy took place a year after Assange sought asylum inside, two sources said.

A separate internal document written by Ecuador’s Senain intelligence agency and seen by the Guardian lists “Paul Manaford [sic]” as one of several well-known guests. It also mentions “Russians”.

According to the sources, Manafort returned to the embassy in 2015. He paid another visit in spring 2016, turning up alone, around the time Trump named him as his convention manager. The visit is tentatively dated to March.

Manafort’s 2016 visit to Assange lasted about 40 minutes, one source said, adding that the American was casually dressed when he exited the embassy, wearing sandy-coloured chinos, a cardigan and a light-coloured shirt.

Visitors normally register with embassy security guards and show their passports. Sources in Ecuador, however, say Manafort was not logged.

Embassy staff were aware only later of the potential significance of Manafort’s visit and his political role with Trump, it is understood.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

evilweasel posted:

The DOJ knows they've burned every bridge with every judge that might review this case, except the Supreme Court. The DOJ is now openly taking the strategy of trying to bypass every lower court in favor of shoving their case in front of the five republican justices as quickly as possible and hoping to get a decision flagrantly ignoring the law in favor of what the republican party wants as quickly as possible.

Are there projections on just how bad of an impact including the questions could have in terms of responses to the Census (and thus, the allocation of the House)?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nucleic Acids posted:

Are there projections on just how bad of an impact including the questions could have in terms of responses to the Census (and thus, the allocation of the House)?

I believe some of that was entered into evidence in the trial but I didn't follow it closely enough to know off the top of my head.

Importantly, it does not just affect allocation of house seats between states; it affects the relative political strength of cities vs. rural areas in the state.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Whoa

https://mobile.twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1067448517768171521

https://mobile.twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1067464748617351169

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

is it even theoretically possible for Zuck to see jail time over this?

edit: vvvv FB is too big and well-connected and full of useful data to be allowed to sink. senior leadership may get hosed, but I doubt FB will ever die.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Is there any chance that this Facebook bullshit ends in a world where Facebook doesn't exist anymore? I don't even care if Zuckerberg ends up penniless in a ditch somewhere--I would just like Facebook to end up like MySpace.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

These committee hearings sound wild and the Canadian MPs sound pissed. Does this all end with Facebook being banned in Canada?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Is there any chance that this Facebook bullshit ends in a world where Facebook doesn't exist anymore? I don't even care if Zuckerberg ends up penniless in a ditch somewhere--I would just like Facebook to end up like MySpace.

Their business model seems to depend on selling peoples private information to ad buyers and the don't seem to care why or where, so it's quite possible, yes.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Chilichimp posted:

Their business model seems to depend on selling peoples private information to ad buyers and the don't seem to care why or where, so it's quite possible, yes.

If it were just to ad buyers, it'd still be bad, but a lot less bad. They're selling people's private information to anyone at all, including those that want to do harm to those people.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

The primary hold Facebook has is basically the existing data and the links you already have. I don't use my Facebook account, basically never post on it...but I don't want to delete it because it's got data that's not anywhere else and if there was Facebook 2.0 from a new company I wouldn't exactly go friend all of the people I haven't spoken to since college but i might, someday, be vaguely interested in what they're up to. I'm not real sure how you replicate that.

But once people start deleting their facebook accounts it could easily enter a death spiral because once all of those people deleted their accounts, I have no reason to keep mine anymore. It also could just stagnate and die off as nobody creates new facebook accounts and it turns into just sort of a memorial of the 2004-2016 period in everyone's lives who had a facebook account.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

This grand committee that's sitting in London was talking about breaking up Facebook (/ whatsapp etc). Also about RICO which I don't understand but Ken Popehat gets upset about.

The committee pointed out that the 23 of them represent 400 million people.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

alternatively, facebook could become so politically toxic that governments basically outlaw their entire business model and nobody's sure what to do with it anymore

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Nationalise that poo poo, IMO.

No direct government control, of course, but bring it into public ownership.

EDIT - although I suppose that's an absolutely impossible demand in the USA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Barry Foster posted:

Nationalise that poo poo, IMO.

No direct government control, of course, but bring it into public ownership.

Yeah they got close to saying that, amazingly! Discussing turning it into a public utility.

e: wow this Canadian dude is loving fired up
E2 why isn't our actual Parliament like this? These people seem actually competent

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 27, 2018