Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Brony Car posted:

The senate race in Mississippi is not close enough for a useless succ Dem like me to have hope, right?

No, people are getting excited over nothing. He'd have a chance if it were a House race I think and he might go under the radar but his only path is high dem turnout / low rep turnout and racist comments are going to encourage turnout of the white republican base in Mississippi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Omobono posted:

How so? What happens in the USA if an attorney is shown to be complicit? No more attorney privilege?

If an attorney commits crimes to defend you it can nullify privilege IIRC because then they become a criminal defendant. Law goons, please correct me if I am wrong on that or you have something to add.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

LOL there is no question. There aren't.
What, you don't think Ben's Asse or Susie Collins could be super loving concerned about naked treason?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Brony Car posted:

The senate race in Mississippi is not close enough for a useless succ Dem like me to have hope, right?

Never hope only take action.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Brony Car posted:

It can happen, but is a looooonnng shot

I imagine Mississipi GOP are absolute masters of gerrymandering and voter suppression to keep a 35% African American state red for all these decades

That is a lot of odds to beat

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No, people are getting excited over nothing. He'd have a chance if it were a House race I think and he might go under the radar but his only path is high dem turnout / low rep turnout and racist comments are going to encourage turnout of the white republican base in Mississippi.

Realistically if Espy were white he'd be winning going away. Even Republicans hate Hyde-Smith, but well, they'd rather vote for an idiot than a black dude

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just got to hope Mississippi white people are like "I already voted do I really have to do this poo poo again, Hyde's gonna win anyway it's not close"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sean10mm posted:

:ussr: Mueller is not your friend, he's a conservative law enforcement & intelligence man, this logically makes him a bad person hostile to your interests, comrade.

:eng101: Those who play with the devil's toys will be brought by degrees to wield his sword.

(Sees the impending doom of various Trump stooges)

:raise:

:rock: gently caress YEAH LET'S DO THIS EAT poo poo YOU NAZI FUCKS :rock:

I'm in when do we get the MEC troopers and gene soldiers to supplement the supersoldiers

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sir Lemming posted:

When Paul Manafort dies, Robert Mueller will personally invent a way to bring him back to life and indict him more

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

sean10mm posted:

:ussr: Mueller is not your friend, he's a conservative law enforcement & intelligence man, this logically makes him a bad person hostile to your interests, comrade.

:eng101: Those who play with the devil's toys will be brought by degrees to wield his sword.

(Sees the impending doom of various Trump stooges)

:raise:

:rock: gently caress YEAH LET'S DO THIS EAT poo poo YOU NAZI FUCKS :rock:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Stexils posted:

why would the GOP turn on trump for this? they support him because the base loves him.

Why would the GOP care about donald trump's base? donald trumps base has been doing an awful job of getting anyone but donald trump elected.

The guy is at 60% disapproval and the largest democratic house win since watergate happened like 3 weeks ago. At some point some GOP guy is gonna say "you know, I'm not very selfless and don't want to keep lighting my own dick on fire by standing with this trump guy" without stopping being a republican.

Trump getting in on your campaign is already nearly a death kiss for actually winning, at some point if his popularity keeps going down no one is going to be winning elections if they aren't actively distancing themselves from this guy no one likes.

His base super double extra liking trump hasn't been winning elections for anyone but trump.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Mustached Demon posted:

Never hope only take action.

I donated back in September and right after election day. I can think of worse ways to use my money.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Omobono posted:

How so? What happens in the USA if an attorney is shown to be complicit? No more attorney privilege?

friendbot2000 posted:

If an attorney commits crimes to defend you it can nullify privilege IIRC because then they become a criminal defendant. Law goons, please correct me if I am wrong on that or you have something to add.

More specifically, you can't use attorney-client privilege in furtherance of new crime. If you can show that the privilege was used in furtherance of new crimes, then you can pierce the privilege generally.

Note that this has probably already happened to some extent given the search of Michael Cohen's office etc.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I like the presence of the incense burner. Being at that trial had to be deeply unpleasant.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why would the GOP care about donald trump's base? donald trumps base has been doing an awful job of getting anyone but donald trump elected.

The guy is at 60% disapproval and the largest democratic house win since watergate happened like 3 weeks ago. At some point some GOP guy is gonna say "you know, I'm not very selfless and don't want to keep lighting my own dick on fire by standing with this trump guy" without stopping being a republican.

Trump getting in on your campaign is already nearly a death kiss for actually winning, at some point if his popularity keeps going down no one is going to be winning elections if they aren't actively distancing themselves from this guy no one likes.

His base super double extra liking trump hasn't been winning elections for anyone but trump.

Bare in mind, that 60% is in a "GOOD" economy. A recession hits and his good will evaporates to a floor of possibly below 35%

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm in when do we get the MEC troopers and gene soldiers to supplement the supersoldiers

I’ll sacrifice my arms and legs to be able to smash a muton’s face in with my robot fists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG9xz7AEnCs

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Brony Car posted:

Correct. It might be a too-early-to-call or maybe even a too-close-to-call when the polls close, but racism is like catnip to white people in Mississippi. Cindy Hyde-Smith is, barring a miracle, going to win.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Trump's base decides who wins primaries at every level and until they no longer do so the GOP will continue to bow and scrape to them.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 27, 2018

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

At a certain point the House will need to impeach regardless of how hosed the Senate is if the report is as damning as some people think. The political reality of not having the Senate votes won't be an acceptable answer to the public for why a Democratic House sits on its hands.

Frankly either party having 2/3 of the Senate is basically impossible short of one party totally collapsing so admitting that impeachment is a 100% partisan action is Congress totally abdicating any check it has on the Presidency. The House has to start the motion and let the Senate go on record that they support the criminal actions of their President. Otherwise they will look like they aren't interested in doing what they were elected to do as one of the only actually (ignoring gerrymandering) part of the Federal government that is representative of popular voting.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

More specifically, you can't use attorney-client privilege in furtherance of new crime. If you can show that the privilege was used in furtherance of new crimes, then you can pierce the privilege generally.

Note that this has probably already happened to some extent given the search of Michael Cohen's office etc.

Hell I forgot about Cohen. Am I just unable to form new memories? What is happening?

Who's Cohen?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

Bare in mind, that 60% is in a "GOOD" economy. A recession hits and his good will evaporates to a floor of possibly below 35%

that and a recession is coming and probably a bad one exacerbated by trumps stupid trade war poo poo mixed with other stuff.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

all the nevertrumpers have been purged, so that's one reason they would care: they've seen what happens when you go against trump. and it's not "trump's base", it's the republican base. 60 percent general disapproval means nothing when he has 90 percent republican approval. you know, the people who vote for republicans. impeaching a president 90 percent of your party base supports is a fantastic way to massively depress your side's turnout the next election.

you're also ignoring that trump did actually increase republican turnout from normal levels for republicans, it's just that dems turned out in even greater levels. it's not like normal democratic turnout and depressed republican turnout would lead to any better a result.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mdemone posted:

Hell I forgot about Cohen. Am I just unable to form new memories? What is happening?

Who's Cohen?

Get a tattoo on your chest that reads MICHAEL C. AIDED AND ABETTED MY PRESIDENT

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Radish posted:

At a certain point the House will need to impeach regardless of how hosed the Senate is if the report is as damning as some people think. The political reality of not having the Senate votes won't be an acceptable answer to the public for why a Democratic House sits on its hands.

Frankly either party having 2/3 of the Senate is basically impossible short of one party totally collapsing so admitting that impeachment is a 100% partisan action is Congress totally abdicating any check it has on the Presidency. The House has to start the motion and let the Senate go on record that they support the criminal actions of their President. Otherwise they will look like they aren't interested in doing what they were elected to do as one of the only actually (ignoring gerrymandering) part of the Federal government that is representative of popular voting.

Schiff is itching to put Nunes in the hot seat and put the House Investigation back on track.

I imagine he will move quickly, especially after these new revelations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like the GOP cares for Trump's base because it is made up of a significant portion of their own base, and disavowing Trump and Trumpism is a good way for them to alienate that portion. Trump supporters did not come from the left or the middle, and a kinder gentler more palatable to everyone compassionate conservatism isn't going to appeal to those folks who finally got a taste of pure undiluted pandering.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mdemone posted:

Who's Cohen?

Cohen was lawyer guy. GreyjoyBastard’s occasional avatar in between being owned by the mad cobber.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Radish posted:

Also the calculus for a vulnerable GOP Senator becomes "am I going to lose an election over this?"

I've been saying it for a while, but in the hypothetical that Mueller reports extremely damning evidence of lengthy criminal conspiracies to steal the election (and god knows what else, I'm just shorthanding), I'm not sure there aren't ~20 Republican senators who would rather save their own asses.

Maybe that's me assuming they are all as cynical and calculating, but I reckon we might get to find out.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
But Hillary supposedly got a debate question in advance on time guys.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1067417760072900608?s=19

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

Cohen was lawyer guy. GreyjoyBastard’s occasional avatar in between being owned by the mad cobber.

We need sarcasm tags back, I guess.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Anything is possible and the fact that Republicans are all sweaty over a Mississippi race proves that there's a shot. Calling this "nothing," from the day it was clear that there's going to be a runoff, puts Democrats in the position of hopelessness. Being hopeless makes people stay home, not donate, not put in any effort. Calling this race nothing perpetuates this self defeating narrative. This is exactly the opposite of what won us the House, beat Roy Moore, and gave us candidates like AOC. I donated thousands of dollars to House races and mostly losing Senate and gubernatorial races and I regret none of it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Well at least I did my part and voted for him. le sigh

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

*pearl clutching*

ypipo: "WE ARE NOT RACIST!"

*turn out in droves to vote for the lynching comment lady*

white devils: "That'll show'em..."

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

They raided Cohen's office but were going to allow Cohen + Trump to argue privilege, which is why the materials were reviewed by a special master and not the FBI directly

It would have gone poorly for Cohen + Trump arguing privilege, because Cohen is mostly a fixer and wannabe mobster, not a lawyer

But it's all moot because Cohen + Trump waived privilege to all the interesting stuff

I don't think there was any whiffs or reports of the FBI trying to pierce privilege, just lots of stuff that was not privileged because lol Cohen

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TulliusCicero posted:

yeah, people keep going 'trump's base this" and "trump's base that". Trump's base is his base and love him no matter what. But why would that matter to any other republican not named trump? Trump's base loving trump extra a lot hasn't been translating into election wins. At some point if muller doesn't turn out to be actually a fake news witch hunt against innocent donald trump sticking with trump might be a thing you can only do if you don't want to be elected again.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
That Pruitt picture is beautiful. If you told me to make horns.aiff with my face I couldn't come anywhere close to that level of perfection.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
:hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1067430101548027906

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

yeah, people keep going 'trump's base this" and "trump's base that". Trump's base is his base and love him no matter what. But why would that matter to any other republican not named trump? Trump's base loving trump extra a lot hasn't been translating into election wins. At some point if muller doesn't turn out to be actually a fake news witch hunt against innocent donald trump sticking with trump might be a thing you can only do if you don't want to be elected again.

because if you vote to impeach someone who the republican base loves they won't vote for you.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

that's weirdly threatening

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

mdemone posted:

Also the calculus for a vulnerable GOP Senator becomes "am I going to lose an election over this?"

I've been saying it for a while, but in the hypothetical that Mueller reports extremely damning evidence of lengthy criminal conspiracies to steal the election (and god knows what else, I'm just shorthanding), I'm not sure there aren't ~20 Republican senators who would rather save their own asses.

Maybe that's me assuming they are all as cynical and calculating, but I reckon we might get to find out.

Given Lindsey Graham's conduct lately, my suspicion is that if and when hard absolute proof of Trump crimes from multiple sources finally emerges . . . all the Republican senators will still defend him, because the Republican base does.not.care what Trump does.

A 25th amendment scenario with Pence riding in as the Good Republican is more likely than a 2/3rds vote to convict on impeachment in the Senate, and even that's extremely unlikely unless Trump's medical condition deteriorates even further and he does something that can't be papered over, like drop trou and defecate in public, etc.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

mdemone posted:

I don't think the report is going to sway Republican voters in any meaningful amount because they either support stealing elections or are able to bend their brains to explain why Trump is a victim. There would have to be some impressively bad internal polling that people that have never voted or haven't in years are getting ready to vote Democratic in order to overcome their own base before any started to get on board impeachment.

Right now Senators are not even willing to contradict him on social media when he insults them personally so saying they are willing to remove the Republican president is something I can't even think of happening without some major realigning of the party's voters perception of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mdemone posted:

We need sarcasm tags back, I guess.

Oh sorry I figured you were serious. I have memory problems and trouble recalling who all the various stage players are at this point. :shobon: